TAC 2019 - Vijay

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: TAC 2019 - Vijay

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-31, 10:59

So, Tibetan doesn't interest you? :P

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2019-01-31, 11:02

You have to pay him kuai chik to make him interested into Tibetan.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2019-02-02, 10:04

vijayjohn wrote:You work for Google now?

voron wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:How am I supposed to join the company you work for if you won't even tell me what its name is?! :P

Let me guess. Microsoft?

I was right... Unilangers aren't into smartphones eh.
I work for Huawei.
Unfortunately Huawei is not popular in America...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-02, 11:44

It doesn't nessicarily follow that we're not into smartphones.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-02-02, 18:24

OldBoring wrote:Unfortunately Huawei is not popular in America...

I don't know about the USA but here in Canada Huawei is pretty popular. And lately there've been a lot of articles about Huawei and whether the Canadian government should ban business with them because of the (at least North American) fears over Huawei. Which, personally, I think is funny because apparently a good amount of our current telecom infrastructure uses Huawei tech and Huawei has been involved in Canada for at least like 10 years.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-04, 3:09

Still trying to get through Portuguese, still waaaaay behind on Arabic, still with a shitty computer that apparently doesn't want to let me click on links to prospective jobs... :|

But also, contemplating trying to contact some hyperpolyglots. Again.
księżycowy wrote:So, you'd want do a Quechua study group?

Are you kidding? Of course I'd love to. I once tried to get you to do Quechua with me! :lol: Not that long ago, either!
dEhiN wrote:What are you guys gonna use for Quechua? I might join your study group.

That's a good question, actually, because the only resources I've been using are kind of crappy in all honesty. We might use księżycowy's.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-04, 9:23

vijayjohn wrote:But also, contemplating trying to contact some hyperpolyglots. Again.

To what end?

Are you kidding? Of course I'd love to. I once tried to get you to do Quechua with me! :lol: Not that long ago, either!

Oh, sure..... Because Tibetan is too boring for you......

But seriously, I'm conflicted. I'd love to do Quechua, but I'm also loving Tibetan so far. (And nothing is touching my three heritage languages!) I don't want to ditch Tibetan, and I'm leery to add a fifth language. Plus there's the whole NAIL thing.

That's a good question, actually, because the only resources I've been using are kind of crappy in all honesty. We might use księżycowy's.

My what now?

And what have you been using?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-04, 10:10

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:But also, contemplating trying to contact some hyperpolyglots. Again.

To what end?

To make friends, I guess. I think I remember seeing a video by Moses Mccormick complaining that there isn't enough collaboration between polyglots in general. At the time, he seemed to think this was because we tend to be arrogant. I'm not sure that's really true. I think it's harder for us to find each other and get in touch than he may realize. I've been having the damnedest time trying to contact any of these people because I don't have Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, I've never commented on YouTube videos before, and I just can't get myself to actually send an e-mail because I'm not really sure what to say. I didn't even know so many of these people existed until the author of Babel No More just happened to give a talk at my alma mater (it was also his alma mater).

Part of the reason why I'm so active in these study groups is because I'm kind of trying to prove him wrong. This was also a big part of the motivation for me to join this forum in the first place: to find similar people who could understand better why I do what I do. Now I think I'm finding that while I have found a lot of fellow language nerds, I'm kind of weird even for them (you!), though not in a bad way. It's possible I'm weird even for a hyperpolyglot, but I figure if we can help and support each other as well instead of sticking only to whatever other polyglots we already know, then that's good, right? And if not, then at least I tried. :P
But seriously, I'm conflicted. I'd love to do Quechua, but I'm also loving Tibetan so far. (And nothing is touching my three heritage languages!) I don't want to ditch Tibetan, and I'm leery to add a fifth language. Plus there's the whole NAIL thing.

Then we can just stick with Tibetan for now. :)
My what now?

Your resources! Kawsay Vida and all that.
And what have you been using?

Mainly a Spanish website for Ayacucho Quechua (though I'm trying to learn Cusco Quechua, which unless I'm mistaken is what you're specifically interested in, too. Ayacucho Quechua is pretty close, though).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-04, 15:21

vijayjohn wrote:To make friends, I guess.

I see.....

I don't have Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram

How do you live without any of these things?

Part of the reason why I'm so active in these study groups is because I'm kind of trying to prove him wrong.
Prove who wrong about what?

Now I think I'm finding that while I have found a lot of fellow language nerds, I'm kind of weird even for them (you!), though not in a bad way.

What are you trying to say about me here, Vijay....? :evil:

It's possible I'm weird even for a hyperpolyglot

Define weird.

I figure if we can help and support each other as well instead of sticking only to whatever other polyglots we already know, then that's good, right? And if not, then at least I tried. :P

I like the idea of helping and supporting each other (no matter the skill or interest level), very much.

Then we can just stick with Tibetan for now. :)

thank-you-nuns-cropped.jpg

Your resources! Kawsay Vida and all that.

I was actually thinking that when I do get into Quechua (if that ever happens :P ), I'd start with Imanalla by Nina Kinti-Moss. Mostly because it has audio that actually goes along with the text. Plus the whole dictionary in English.

Mainly a Spanish website for Ayacucho Quechua (though I'm trying to learn Cusco Quechua, which unless I'm mistaken is what you're specifically interested in, too. Ayacucho Quechua is pretty close, though).

I am interested in Cuzco Quechua, but I'll take whatever I can find good English resources in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-04, 17:04

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I don't have Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram

How do you live without any of these things?

I stay in my room using UniLang instead? :lol:

Technically, I do have a Twitter account, but I can't use it because my dad blocked it years ago, forgot to unblock it, and then never realized that he forgot to unblock it even after I told him he forgot to. :P
Prove who wrong about what?

Oh, sorry. To prove Moses wrong about polyglots not collaborating enough.
Now I think I'm finding that while I have found a lot of fellow language nerds, I'm kind of weird even for them (you!), though not in a bad way.

What are you trying to say about me here, Vijay....? :evil:

It's possible I'm weird even for a hyperpolyglot

Define weird.

What I mean is that even for a polyglot, I study a ridiculously large number of languages. I'm wondering whether it's also a ridiculously large number even for a hyperpolyglot. It may be, but I'll never find out from a hyperpolyglot's perspective if I don't (try to :silly:) ask, will I?
I am interested in Cuzco Quechua, but I'll take whatever I can find good English resources in.

What if I translate them into English for you? :)

Anyway, I wrote Moses, he sent me a quick e-mail, and I wrote him back. I'm not sure yet whether anything more will come out of this exchange, though.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-04, 17:14

vijayjohn wrote:I stay in my room using UniLang instead? :lol:

引き籠もり!

Oh, sorry. To prove Moses wrong about polyglots not collaborating enough.

There's the context! Dzięki!

[
What I mean is that even for a polyglot, I study a ridiculously large number of languages. I'm wondering whether it's also a ridiculously large number even for a hyperpolyglot. It may be, but I'll never find out from a hyperpolyglot's perspective if I don't (try to :silly:) ask, will I?

I think it's all a matter of what you're end goal is. Is it to be able to speak a ginormous amount of languages, or simply to be acquainted with them? I've always thought you were shooting for the latter.

What if I translate them into English for you? :)

I could see that as being a temporary fix, but without a dictionary (and, dare I suggest, grammar) to access, in the long run I think it wouldn't work.

Anyway, I wrote Moses, he sent me a quick e-mail, and I wrote him back. I'm not sure yet whether anything more will come out of this exchange, though.

Only time will tell. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-04, 17:30

księżycowy wrote:I think it's all a matter of what you're end goal is. Is it to be able to speak a ginormous amount of languages, or simply to be acquainted with them? I've always thought you were shooting for the latter.

I'm not sure I have a clear end goal. It's to do whatever I can, I guess? Obviously, I can't learn these languages much as a 引き籠もり, but I can't stay in my room forever, either! :P
I could see that as being a temporary fix, but without a dictionary (and, dare I suggest, grammar) to access, in the long run I think it wouldn't work.

Which you have now, right? :hmm:

But like I said, the resources I've found so far on my own are pretty crappy anyway.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-02-04, 18:44

vijayjohn wrote:To make friends, I guess. I think I remember seeing a video by Moses Mccormick complaining that there isn't enough collaboration between polyglots in general. At the time, he seemed to think this was because we tend to be arrogant.

What does Moses Mccormick actually try to do with other language lovers? As far as I can tell he just runs around and accosts people and speaks to them in their language while they're at work. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-04, 19:03

vijayjohn wrote:I'm not sure I have a clear end goal. It's to do whatever I can, I guess?

It may not be clear, but at least you have an idea. It's a start. :)

I didn't start with a clear idea in my head either. It just come as I did stuff. (And even then, I'm not all that sure it's any clearer than it was. :P )

Obviously, I can't learn these languages much as a 引き籠もり, but I can't stay in my room forever, either! :P
バカ

I do? Where?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-04, 19:10

Saim wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:To make friends, I guess. I think I remember seeing a video by Moses Mccormick complaining that there isn't enough collaboration between polyglots in general. At the time, he seemed to think this was because we tend to be arrogant.

What does Moses Mccormick actually try to do with other language lovers? As far as I can tell he just runs around and accosts people and speaks to them in their language while they're at work. :P

I think he also offers to study languages with other people in some of his videos, although I'm not sure how often people take him up on it.
księżycowy wrote:

I do? Where?

You just said Imanalla has a dictionary, and there's a grammar of Cusco Quechua in MEGA.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-04, 19:19

I did? Since when? :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-04, 19:20

księżycowy wrote:I was actually thinking that when I do get into Quechua (if that ever happens :P ), I'd start with Imanalla by Nina Kinti-Moss. Mostly because it has audio that actually goes along with the text. Plus the whole dictionary in English.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-04, 19:24

You cannot prove that I actually said that.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-04, 19:27

Okay, "wrote" then. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-02-04, 22:20

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I'm not sure I have a clear end goal. It's to do whatever I can, I guess?

It may not be clear, but at least you have an idea. It's a start. :)

I didn't start with a clear idea in my head either. It just come as I did stuff. (And even then, I'm not all that sure it's any clearer than it was. :P )

I actually started with a clear end goal - to pursue my interest and ability in learning languages, and specifically to learn 10 languages. But over the past few years on here have changed that, and I no longer have a clear end goal. Even goals I make for specific languages become ambiguous over time.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”