TAC 2019 - Vijay

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: TAC 2019 - Vijay

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-24, 13:39

Damn it, Vijay. One of us has to make up our minds! :P

Let's see where the conversation goes with Korean and take it from there, in all seriousness.

EDIT: By the way, I used to have that same "textbook" for Tibetan too. I think I sold it a while ago though.

EDIT2: I've started to go through Unit 1 in Fluent Tibetan while I wait. So far I've done drill 1.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-25, 5:50

And so I've done the same! It's way too easy, though. :P

བཀྲ་ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས། ཁྱེད་རང་སྐུ་གཟུགས་བདེ་བོ་ཡིན་པས།

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-25, 9:12

Make that drills 1-4 of Unit 1. Which are probably still way too easy for you. :P

I notice that I can have a bit of difficulty differentiating between ཁ and ག. I can usually get ཀ, and of course ང is pretty easy (at least until they add in other nasals).

Shall we start a study group? Or is this one not worth it? Or something?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-25, 13:28

Sure!
księżycowy wrote:I notice that I can have a bit of difficulty differentiating between ཁ and ག.

That's because the only difference between them is tone. :P ག has a lower tone than ཁ.

EDIT: Oh! And don't forget about the BTG!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-25, 13:51

B-T-what? :hmm:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-25, 17:31

vijayjohn wrote:བཀྲ་ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས། ཁྱེད་རང་སྐུ་གཟུགས་བདེ་བོ་ཡིན་པས།

So, I have to ask two things:
1) Wtf does that say? :P
2) How Well do you know Tibetan? It would appear that you know it quite well.

Oh, and about Sorbian:
I'm thinking I'll hold off on this one for a few reasons. 1. I'm up to 4 without it. 2. I want to at least get through the two A-level Begegnungen textbooks before attempting something that serious. Which shouldn't take that long, concidering I'm averaging a Kapitel a week. 3. I need to start working through German vocabulary and grammar in order to get comfortable with producing sentences in the language. I'll probably start working through A-grammatik shortly. I'm hoping I can also build up some confidence with my writing challenges too. I'm not nessicarily wanting to crawl, but I feel it maybe a little too deep in the pool too soon.

This hardly means I'm giving up though. In a few months we can start Sorbian. If not sooner. Is that ok?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-26, 5:26

księżycowy wrote:B-T-what? :hmm:

So how's your translation from German into English coming along?

I won't stop reminding you until it's done. :twisted:
vijayjohn wrote:བཀྲ་ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས། ཁྱེད་རང་སྐུ་གཟུགས་བདེ་བོ་ཡིན་པས།

So, I have to ask two things:
1) Wtf does that say? :P

'Hi. How are you?'
2) How Well do you know Tibetan? It would appear that you know it quite well.

Yeah, and it would appear that you know German, Polish, and Japanese quite well. :P I only know a few words and phrases, though. I don't know all the rules of the writing system, but I've gotten comfortable with the basic idea, and God I've recognized all the letters since I was a teenager at least.
I want to at least get through the two A-level Begegnungen textbooks before attempting something that serious. Which shouldn't take that long, concidering I'm averaging a Kapitel a week.

This probably is less of a problem than you might think. I think my German was probably worse than yours when I started trying to learn Frisian and Platt, or at least Frisian.
This hardly means I'm giving up though. In a few months we can start Sorbian. If not sooner. Is that ok?

You know me. I'm fine with all kinds of things.

(Until of course there are like ten study groups that are all active at the same time).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-26, 10:03

vijayjohn wrote:Yeah, and it would appear that you know German, Polish, and Japanese quite well. :P

Pfffft.

I only know a few words and phrases, though. I don't know all the rules of the writing system, but I've gotten comfortable with the basic idea, and God I've recognized all the letters since I was a teenager at least.

I'm very facinated to see how the writing system works in relation to the pronunciation, actually.

This probably is less of a problem than you might think. I think my German was probably worse than yours when I started trying to learn Frisian and Platt, or at least Frisian.

I'm not so concerned about learning Sorbian through German. I just need to boost my confidence in using German is what I'm mostly saying.

(Until of course there are like ten study groups that are all active at the same time).

Ok, so we're currently doing 4 together, so that means I have to create at least 6 more.
Well, for starters we can resume Japanese, Hokkien, Turkmen, K'iche', Aleut and Cayuga. Then we can start (in no particular order): Neo-Aramaic, Somali, Chechen, Georgian, Armenian, Estonian, Hungarian, Lithuanian, Czech, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Wu, Hakka), Korean, Vietnamese, Hmong, Lao, Marshallese, Maori, Chamorro, Mongolian, Kazakh, Uzbek, Lakhota, Lushootseed, Arapaho, Tlingit, Nahuatl, Quechua.... :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-27, 3:43

księżycowy wrote:I'm very facinated to see how the writing system works in relation to the pronunciation, actually.

This also depends on the variety of Tibetan. In Lhasa Tibetan, a lot of the consonants are of course not pronounced; this from what I understand is because they indicate the vowel and tone of the syllable rather than which consonants are in it. Ladakhi and Balti are not tonal, so I guess the pronunciation in these languages is more similar to Old Tibetan.
I just need to boost my confidence in using German is what I'm mostly saying.

Okay.
Quechua.... :P

:yep:

EDIT: Don't forget about your translation for the Broken Translation Game! How's it going? :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-27, 12:05

vijayjohn wrote:This also depends on the variety of Tibetan. In Lhasa Tibetan, a lot of the consonants are of course not pronounced; this from what I understand is because they indicate the vowel and tone of the syllable rather than which consonants are in it. Ladakhi and Balti are not tonal, so I guess the pronunciation in these languages is more similar to Old Tibetan.

Amdo is much the same too. It's nontonal, and pronounces (at least some of) the prefixes and such.

:yep:

That's too the whole list, right? :twisted:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-27, 16:35

księżycowy wrote:Amdo is much the same too. It's nontonal, and pronounces (at least some of) the prefixes and such.

Interesting! :)
That's too the whole list, right? :twisted:

No. I can't even say for sure I can get everything you're hoping to get done today!

BTG.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-27, 16:48

vijayjohn wrote:No. I can't even say for sure I can get everything you're hoping to get done today!

Well, at least Tibetan and German should be a breeze, right? :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-27, 16:50

vijayjohn wrote:
księżycowy wrote:Amdo is much the same too. It's nontonal, and pronounces (at least some of) the prefixes and such.

Interesting! :)

Indeed. That's why I'm hoping that if we stick through Central Tibetan, we can do some Amdo Tibetan. But for now let's just worry about getting through Unit 1 of Fluent Tibetan.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-27, 17:24

I thought you wanted to do Dzongkha next.
księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:No. I can't even say for sure I can get everything you're hoping to get done today!

Well, at least Tibetan and German should be a breeze, right? :P

Yes, because I don't even have to do anything for German. :P But I'm trying to do Polish first.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-27, 17:32

I envision our progression through Tibetic as: Central -> Amdo -> Dzongkha. But who knows, things can change. :P

vijayjohn wrote:Yes, because I don't even have to do anything for German. :P But I'm trying to do Polish first.

Doskonale!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-27, 17:41

Okay, but only if we take a detour through Ladakhi first! :twisted:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-27, 17:44

Only if we do Sherpa before that!

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2019-01-27, 23:44

księżycowy wrote:Only if we do Sherpa before that!

That's a food delivery service in China: http://newsite.sherpa.com.cn/

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-30, 19:26

So, you'd want do a Quechua study group?

Though if I went to the Americas I might be inclined to do a NAIL. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-31, 2:59

What are you guys gonna use for Quechua? I might join your study group.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”