TAC 2019 - Antea

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Antea
Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-04-05, 14:08

I don’t use Anki, but I think I am going to write down lists of words related to different subjects, in order to remember the words when I talking about something. For example, holidays, studies, work, films, etc, and all the usual words related to them :hmm:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-04-11, 19:57

eskandar wrote:Have you tried any SRS flashcard programs like Anki, Quizlet, or Memrise? Those are good ways of keeping track of vocabulary.

You can't use Memrise anymore. They changed their site; so now they only have courses that they've created, and are also pushing a subscription model to those courses. They did create a second site for community-created content, though I forget the name of the second site.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-04-20, 11:31

(he) This is a video with some introductory information about Ethiopia, its languages and calendar. It has no subtitles, but surprisingly, I didn’t found it very difficult to understand. The sound, though, could be better.

https://youtu.be/VfE2w82FOxE

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-04-23, 7:48

(krl) Interesting video about the education system in Finland. With Russian subtitles.

https://youtu.be/UicngyWCCmY

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-04-23, 12:20

Is that in Karelian? I wouldn't be able to differentiate it from Finnish.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-04-23, 12:41

Saim wrote:Is that in Karelian? I wouldn't be able to differentiate it from Finnish.

Honestly, I don’t know, and in fact I wanted to ask it. But the interview it’s done by the Russian TV, and it’s a Karelian regional program, so I don’t know what to think :hmm:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-05-01, 6:50

(he) I am taking Hebrew lessons, and honesty it’s a mess. Mostly because when I am trying to speak, in my mind I am translating from Arabic. Both languages are very similar in grammar structures, and also in verb tenses (for example in the the past tense) and that’s confusing. My teacher (who is very patient) says that I’d better not refer to Arabic so much. And last week I was discussing this subject with a friend, who could not understand why I was translating from Arabic and not from Spanish :hmm:

Any of this make any sense to you? Do you think that it’s the same for learning a language, which ones do you know first? Do you think it will be easier for me to study Hebrew from Arabic? :hmm: Just some doubts :roll:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-05-01, 7:30

Yes, I am pretty obsessed with the connection to Arabic. :P I just have to know all the similarities or else I'll never remember all these words!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-05-02, 23:26

I found Hebrew incredibly easy to learn because I already had a very good foundation in Arabic when I started Hebrew. So much is familiar, especially the grammar and syntax, but also much of the vocabulary and morphology. I feel like I am doing the same thing you described, translating in my head from Arabic (I form an Arabic sentence in my mind and then replace the words with Hebrew words) and it's actually really helpful for me. In some ways Hebrew is more like colloquial Arabic than standard Arabic, especially when it comes to the iDaafa/smikhut ("shel" in Hebrew tends to work like "btaa3" in Arabic).
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-05-03, 12:00

That's pretty normal when dealing with related languages. I've felt the same thing with Indo-Aryan, Romance, Slavic and Germanic. It largely resolves itself with enough exposure, so just keep reading and listening.

Do you think it will be easier for me to study Hebrew from Arabic?

Laddering is great if you can find quality materials to do it with!

My teacher (who is very patient) says that I’d better not refer to Arabic so much.

I would find that sort of comment quite strange, it's not like you get to chose how you think (I mean, to a limited extent you can, but it takes practice). :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-05-07, 18:47

I'm actually the opposite when it comes to Hebrew. I'm so thrown off by the parts of it that are very...not like Arabic...that it makes it hard for me to learn. (So basically, I'm getting thrown off by the phonology, and it's probably distracting me from all the grammatical similarities). I probably just really need to expose myself more to it, though. The occasional "Ask an Israeli" video isn't really helping that much. :P I think I just need to look for more materials.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2019-05-07, 18:57

Saim wrote:Is that in Karelian? I wouldn't be able to differentiate it from Finnish.

It's in Finnish, but the interviewer has a strong accent.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-05-08, 13:33

Thanks Naava !

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-05-08, 13:38

vijayjohn wrote:I probably just really need to expose myself more to it, though. The occasional "Ask an Israeli" video isn't really helping that much. :P I think I just need to look for more materials.

If you find some good audio/video material, I would be grateful if you could share it. I am really having a lot of difficulties to find anything good, even on YouTube :roll:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-05-08, 18:55

Antea wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I probably just really need to expose myself more to it, though. The occasional "Ask an Israeli" video isn't really helping that much. :P I think I just need to look for more materials.

If you find some good audio/video material, I would be grateful if you could share it. I am really having a lot of difficulties to find anything good, even on YouTube :roll:

Well, there's always GLOSS, for all kinds of languages including Hebrew: https://gloss.dliflc.edu/.

But I never like GLOSS all by itself because the voices sound artificial, so I also found Easy Hebrew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Gvl3LLpfE
Or if you want something more basic and/or something where people speak slower, there's this (and probably there are other similar video series available on YouTube):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsuxdbK0LhI

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-07-14, 12:26

Ok, coming back to my TAC.

(sv) I think I have made some improvement in my listening skills, which means that I am starting to understand some podcasts or videos without subtitles.

I am also trying to read more things in Swedish, but newspapers articles are still difficult for me because of the subjects and the related vocabulary they use ( yes, even, “på lätt svenska” :roll: ).

I am also reading the first chapter of ”Nils Holgerssons underbara resa genom Sverige” from Selma Lagerlöf, because I read it in my childhood, and I already know the content.

(no) These little improvements have encouraged me to start with Norwegian, because it’s a very similar language, at least from a reading point of view (I still have no experience with listening).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-07-22, 7:35

Are you doing other languages besides Swedish and Norwegian now, or just those two?

Incidentally, I had a Swedish co-worker at my last job, and we're still in touch and talk in Swedish to each other every now and then even though my Swedish still sucks. :silly: I keep looking words up in Wiktionary because otherwise, I can't really tell what she's saying. :lol: I guess it's worth it in its weird little way, though!

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-07-22, 10:39

vijayjohn wrote:Are you doing other languages besides Swedish and Norwegian now, or just those two?

I recognise that at the moment I have a strong wanderlusting for Northern Sami. In fact, this is the main reason why I am improving in the other two languages. Because I find a lot of written material for Sami in Swedish and Norwegian. In Danish I have not attempted anything, still.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-01, 21:55

(ar)
https://youtu.be/KZFY6uet1Zo

It’s a long video. I am still watching it. I just post it here because I want to know what’s happening exactly with the use of French in Maghreb countries. It’s very confusing for me. I don’t know if they are still learning it in schools as a mandatory subject or not.

I have the same doubts concerning with the use of French and English in Senegal, and the problems it creates :hmm:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-01, 23:08

(ar) Another very long video. It's about poligamy. I just post it here because I want to watch it when I'll have some time.

https://youtu.be/VWlsK1Qnc2M

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”