TAC 2018 - ceid donn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

ceid donn
Re: TAC 2018 - ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-15, 4:19

¡Gracias de nuevo! :D

Tonight I've been going through the newest Duolingo Spanish tree. Well, the old new tree. :lol: if I recall correctly, the latest version was released over a year ago. I finished the original tree quite a while ago, and I think the course is on version 3.0 now.

I am just working through the units that they changed or added since I completed the old tree, and I'm finding the new content pretty enjoyable. The original tree was good, as I recall, and it was a lot less frustrating to complete than the original French and German trees (aye yai yai :lol: ). I remember thinking the old Spanish tree needed more vocabulary and it seems the newest version did add quite a lot of new vocabulary.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-15, 22:28

(id)

Duolingo released the Indonesian course for English speakers to beta a few hours ago. I have a massive headache at the moment so I'm not going to dive in just yet, but I did spend the morning working through the first 4 chapters of Colloquial Indonesian as well as progressing with my Memrise Indonesian course. I'm been having Indonesian rattling around in my head all day. :lol: Maybe that's why I have a headache!

I'm joking--it's just barometric pressure being wacky here today. Going ot go take some Advil and have dinner, and hopefully I'll feel better.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-17, 4:24

(fr)

Some videos I'm watching tonight, having done all my planned work for Indonesian, Welsh and Spanish for today (yes, I'm patting myself on the back for that :D ).

I like Miro's earlier songs a lot, even used some to improve my French, but I'm not crazy about this new deal with him singing in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDsbFZ1ipQQ

This is a rather entertaining episode of C'est pas sorcier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4DHHn327LM

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-19, 20:44

Week 10: The I am tired update

(fr) Je suis fatiguée.

-- Watched 2 episodes of Marsaille and 3 episodes of C'est pas sorcier

-- Watched the first 2 videos of Français Avec Pierre's 5 Min. de Français. I haven't watched the third one yet because it was just posted today. This was the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tteYcqcqFA

And this amusing video celebrating Français Avec Pierre reaching 400k followers on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN_XGAl2rZg

-- Started reading Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers because I learned I can read the French language HP books for free on my Kindle, so I don't have give JK Rowling any more money (she has enough, methinks). I'm on chapter 3.

-- Spent 2 hours last night watching a stream on Twitch by a French Canadian and following the chat. Still can't quite follow "gamer French" very well but I try. :whistle:

(gd) Tha mi sgìth.

There's a song in Gaelic called "Tha Mi Sgìth"-- a "fairy song" and one of the first songs I learned in Gaelic.

-- Read through the first 14 chapters of the 1971 Teach Yourself Gaelic, which I've never actually read through before. Definitely much more formal than the newer version of TY Gaelic and it contains different vocabulary and uses the older orthography. However, I'm really not seeing what some people have made such a fuss about, with saying how this is the better version.

-- Started re-reading An Creannaich using An Stòrlann's study materials, which I just found out last week even existed. It's an even weirder story when I have study materials that give me pictures of Lee Harvey Oswald and Fidel Castro to go along with it. :whistle:

-- Watched a few videos on An Stòrlann which I cannot embed, sadly, but here a link to one of them: Poet Meg Bateman talking about an art installation at SMO, Crannghal, for which she wrote a commemorative poem. I will try to read that poem this week.

-- read and watched stuff related to Runrig's final live performance, which is kind of big deal in the Gaelic world. Even worthy of a mention or two in BBC Aimsir's weather forecast.

(es-MX) Estoy cansada.

-- started reviewing the Duolingo Spanish tree and did a couple of the Duolingo Stories for Spanish

-- Made a lot of progress on the Memrise Spanish 3 course--I'm at 377/609 terms learned. Started another Memrise course aimed at vocabulary building. That course has 5000 words so that's going to take a while. :P

-- Watched the first 2 episodes of El Ministerio del tiempo, which I will need to watch again because I missed a lot :lol: Also watched the first hour of the Spanish version of Coco, up to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ7cBunq8xo

-- Read through units 1-6 in CSoLA 1, doing most of the exercises aloud.

(cy) Dw i wedi blino.

-- Switched my Memrise courses today to courses that cover more vocabulary than what is in the Duolingo course, so starting from the beginning with those

-- Made progress with unlocking the rest of the Duolingo Welsh tree and reviewing skills I previously unlocked.

-- Read unit 1-3 in Colloquial Welsh. My .pdf copy is so poor though--it looks like a poor digital scan of a poor photocopy. It's very hard to read on my Kindle. I might have to break down and buy a legit ebook copy. :?

-- read some news articles on BBC Cyrmu...as best as I could...

(ja) 私は疲れた

I got a bit frustrated with Japanese this week so I took a break from it for a couple of days. I think it helped because yesterday while studying Japanese, I felt like I was grasping things better.

-- completed another 2 unit in Memrise Japanese 2

-- studied basic Japanese adjectives using this video. I still am not 100% confident with this material but this video helped a lot with some of the stuff in the Memrise course that was giving me trouble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKxjeyBsR8&index=18&list=PLag_mhJfCJ-18WyYoklCPxIpYbeRgmWLJ

(id) Aku lelah.

There's also a song "Aku Lelah" :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23-DGHJSrzc

-- Read through unit 1-4 in Colloquial Indonesian, which largely covers stuff I already know.

-- Leveled all the skills up to the first check-point on the Duolingo Indonesian tree to golden

-- Up to 188/672 terms learned on my Indonesian Memrise course

(fa) من خسته ام

So I'm going to put Old Irish and Sanskrit aside and work on improving my grasp of the Persian script so it will not be an impediment for me when I able to take up Persian again. In the past I mostly used materials with romanized Persian, and that really held me back. So this morning, I started a Persain script course on Memrise.
Last edited by ceid donn on 2018-08-19, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-08-19, 20:51

“Estoy cansada”: aquí se utiliza el verbo “estar” (ejemplos: estoy contenta, estoy triste, estoy hambrienta)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-19, 22:42

Antea wrote:“Estoy cansada”: aquí se utiliza el verbo “estar” (ejemplos: estoy contenta, estoy triste, estoy hambrienta)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, that's what I'm trying to say--I'm tired, and so naturally I'll make stupid mistakes like that!!!

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-20, 3:20

I'm pretty critical of Duolingo, but in truth, Duolingo gets me. :P

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-23, 0:09

I gave into my lesser angels yesterday and did a blitz review of about 1/3 of the Swedish tree on Duolingo. While it was fun, I was a little mad at myself for spending so much time on Swedish instead my current target languages.

And oh, wow, had I had forgotten how weird the audio for that course is. On some of the audio-only questions I'd get sentences put together with sounds files with varying volume levels so it would play back like jag TYCKER OM dina katter. :lol:

(The Japanese course has the same issue and for some reason, the sound file for に is extremely loud and scares me every time. It's like some angry Japanese woman is about to jump out of my PC's speakers. :shock: )

Today I tried to get back on track, but ended up instead reviewing the Irish course and getting my Duolingo Irish level up to 25. As satisfying as that is, it consumed all of my time that I could spend today sitting at the PC, and my back, legs and wrists are complaining to me about it right now. So I think it's time to watch some Netflix. :P

Here's a Welsh folksong before I go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrkgdj0bVAo

Dacw 'nghariad i lawr yn y berllan,
Tw rym di ro rym di radl didl dal
O na bawn i yno fy hunan,
Dacw'r tŷ, a dacw'r 'sgubor;
Dacw ddrws y beudy'n agor.
Ffaldi radl didl dal, ffaldi radl didl dal,
Tw rym di ro rym di radl didl dal.

Dacw’r dderwen wych ganghennog,
Golwg arni sydd dra serchog.
Mi arhosaf yn ei chysgod
Nes daw 'nghariad i 'ngyfarfod.
Tw rym di ro rym di radl didl dal.

Dacw'r delyn, dacw'r tannau;
Beth wyf gwell, heb neb i'w chwarae?
Dacw'r feinwen hoenus fanwl;
Beth wyf well heb gael ei meddwl?

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-28, 6:03

Returning to work last week proved more disruptive to my studying than I anticipated. I thought it would be, but I severely underestimated it. It didn't help that my family also decided to "volunteer" me for several things, last one being tomorrow, which hopefully will be the last family obligation I have for a while.

Due to the chaos of my schedule, I've been falling back on Memrise and Duolingo far too much the past few days because they are convenient and easier for me to transition into doing. I feel so "out of it" with most of my languages that watching Netflix or reading feels like a massive endeavor as it takes so much effort to get my brain to transition to that language and that activity. The last couple of days I've been largely focusing on Spanish and French, and I am thinking for the next week or so I may have to just focus on one or two language per day or per every 2 days, until I get into my work routine and can work in my languages around it.

On top of all this, I have been looking up Breton stuff on You Tube, because Breton is so much fun (but I promised myself I'd progress more in Welsh before getting back to Breton).

(en français)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVZTMNT1Fxs

This song is about coffee. :lol: The refrain "Netra ne blij din-me/'Vel ur banne kafe" translates as "Nothing pleases me as much as a cup of coffee." How can anyone resist a language that has songs praising coffee??? I'm not even a big coffee drinker and I find that endearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws8Mr_fdZpQ

A Gastell-Paol da Lannuon
A Gernev da Ouelou
Ez eus bet savet meur a son
Diwar an evajoů
Evidon, keit ha ma vevin,
Me gav din e larin
Netra ne blij din-me
'Vel ur banne kafe
Netra ne blij din-me
'Vel ur banne kafe

Ur vamm pa glev he bugel kaezh
O ouelań 'n e gavell
Gant ur banne kafe gant laezh
A ra dezhań tevel
Ha neuze div vouezhig vihan
A-unan a vouskan :
Netra ne blij din-me...

Ha pa'z eas Fańch, ar paotr faro,
Da welout Janig vrav
A laras dezhi : "Du-mań zo
Chistr ha gwin leun ar c'hav"
Met Jann a respontas a-benn
D'ar c'haezh den he sonenn :
Netra ne blij din-me...

En tiegiezhoů pinvidik
Emań bet a-viskoazh
Ar c'hiz da ginnig kafe rik
War-lerc'h ar predoů bras
Aotrouned hag intronezed
A gleved o laret :
Netra ne blij din-me...

Ar paour ivez, mesk al ludu,
En ur pod pri faoutet
A domm ur banne kafe du
A-raok mont da gousket
Hag hep sońjal 'n e baourentez
'N e wele ec'h huńvre :
Netra ne blij din-me...

Kentań labour ar martolod
Kerkent m'eo dihunet
Eo redek da zifenn e lod
Eus an dour du karet
Hag ur wech leinet mat, d'e dro
E laro, hep distro :
Netra ne blij din-me...

Ar c'hafe zo ul louzaouenn
Hep par dreist pep hini
Ha n'hellan ket en ur sonenn
Kaer a-walc'h he meuliń
Va son a vefe kalz re hir
Pa'z eo gwir, en ur ger :
Netra ne blij din-me...

Me a varvo ivez moarvat
Evel pep krouadur
Ha m'ho peus c'hoant neuze, tud vat,
D'ober din plijadur
C'hwi verko war va bez dister
Don ha sklaer, en eizh ger :
Netra dezhań / dezhi (1) 'n blije
'Vel ur banne kafe

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-30, 3:53

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

OK, don't mind my silliness tonight. I'm just taking a break from studying. Here's...another video!

Did you know that the producers/directors/writers of the John Wick movies were inspired by Indonesian marital arts films? No? Well, take a look at a clip of one, and you'll see the influence. (WARNING: graphic violence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fJzXYxuE-w

Also this particular film was directed by a Welsh director who actually speaks Welsh and once worked as an online Welsh tutor. He now directs films in Indonesia. :mrgreen: While I have not seen any of his film in their entirety, I doubt he has anyone speaking Welsh in them. But I am curious if that has any influence in his films, because one thing that has been a stand-out feature in the John Wick movies is how the directors tried to create a multilingual universe in the films, which is very unusual for an American movie franchise.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-09-01, 0:13

My struggle to passive-aggressively teach Duolingo Gaelic by unthinkingly mixing Gaelic words into my English sentences is so futile. I will never learn.

A bwthyn is a bothan is a bothán...

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-09-04, 15:15

Ugh, well, I had written an update but just as I waa finishing it, I accidentally clicked on something in the browser and it refreshed the page, deleting what I had written. My right hand is causing me some problems--I have an old repeated stress injury in that hand and at times it acts up, like right now I'm feeling numbness in my two outside fingers. So I can't rewrite my update just now. :roll:

I will post a video though, for now. I started watching Machair on You Tube. I have watched the first 5 episodes so far, and at this point I want to go back and re-watch them again, know that I know what happens and I can pay closer attention to the Gaelic. I have to prop a book up against the monitor to block the English subtitles--unfortunately, the subtitles were added when the series first aired and there is not likely a subtitle-free version anywhere available. Viewers in Scotland like to put tape on their tellies, but I would rather not get adhesive on my monitor so a book will have to do. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_QIKvEn_oU

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-09-10, 5:07

Week 13?: Progress with Japanese!

I didn't think I'd have time today for an update but I'm going to take a break from studying while I do laundry and listen to this week's Hearts of Space on my local public radio station, and write up something quickly here.

(ja)

After a couple of weeks of not really doing much with Japanese besides reviewing what I had previously learned in my Memrise courses, I made some progress this week:

-- completed 3 more units in my Memrise Japanese 2 course, and did a lot of listening review to improve my audio recognition of what I'm learning
-- watched Nihon Goal's grammar and vocabulary videos for MnN units 9 and 10
-- got all the units up to the 2nd checkpoint in the Duolingo Japanese course up to gold level
-- watched the 2nd Netflix Godzilla movie with Japanese audio and subtitles (I had previously watched it with English audio and Japanese subtitles)

I had pretty much put the Duolingo course on ice for about month because I got majorly irritated with the "Family" unit. I finally got around to tackling it again this morning, and after much hair-pulling, teeth-gnashing and complaining in the comment sections of particular sentences, I figured out what the unit was trying to teach. It seems from other user comments, I'm not the only one who got overwhelmed doing this unit, which very suddenly throws several particles, possessive constructions, different registers of speech, and some confusing vocabulary at you. But I made it through, at long last, and now I can continue with the course.

These are the Nihon Goal grammar videos for Units 9 and 10. Among other things, these units cover sentence structure using the particles that the Duolingo "Family" unit just drops in your lap. It was rather helpful for me to watch these videos before attempting that unit again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGy7kONKYYY&index=17&list=PLag_mhJfCJ-18WyYoklCPxIpYbeRgmWLJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAccyp4k7hs&list=PLag_mhJfCJ-18WyYoklCPxIpYbeRgmWLJ&index=16

(es-MX)

Despite only being able to do very limited amounts of work on most of my languages these past couple of weeks, I've done quite a bit with Spanish:

-- Almost to level 25 with my Duolingo Spanish for English speakers course. I'm less that 1000 XP away and it'll be my third course to reach level 25 (after French and Irish). I'm toying with the idea of doing the Spanish for French speakers course next.
-- a lot a pronunciation practice.
-- on most days I have been able to read either online articles or Spanish language newspapers (available at my work, conveniently)
-- watched the rest of the first season of El Ministerio del tiempo and started watching La Catedrel de mar on Netflix

I lost my streak with both my Memrise courses because last month I realized I was getting very burnt out on Memrise. I mean, my longest streak in any of my courses right now in 96 days, so that's how long I've been doing Memrise every day this summer. I was bound to start feeling burnt out with it. And since I was doing so much with my Duolingo Spanish course, I let the Memrise Spanish courses slide so I could limit doing Memrise just enough to keep my longer streaks in my French, Gaelic, Japanese and Indonesian courses. I will try to get back on track with those this week.

I am having an issue where I am getting very confused about adjective placement because the rules in Spanish are similar to French but not exactly. I'm just going to have to keep working at it and I thinking reading a lot will ultimately be the best approach for that.

Also, I've been on a Memory Lane sort of trip, looking on You Tube for Spanish language music that has been very popular here in Texas over the time I've lived here. Here's one such gem, this one was HUGE when I was going to uni in Houston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfE5DGANyCw

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-09-11, 15:07

Dhùisg me sa mhadainn an-diugh agus bha mi a' smaoineachadh sa Ghàidhlig. Bha sin caran farranach air mo shon mar a tha mi a' fuirich le duine a tha Beurla a-mhàin aca agus b'fheudar dhomh bruidhinn riutha sa Bheurla nuair a bha mi a' smaoineachadh sa Ghàidhlig fhasthast. Mar sin, thàining orm a dhèanamh beagan eadar-theangachadh bho Gàidhlig gu Beurla sa m'inntinn sa mhadainn seo. :lol:

Cuideachd tha ceann goirt uabhasach orm an-dràsta ach tha mi a' creidsinn gu bheil mi dìreach beagan sgreubh bhon teas an-seo agus chan eil air sàilleibh na Gàidhlig. :P

Co-dhiù, seo dà bhidio le Guthan nan Eilean a bha mi a' coimhead air a-raoir mus chaidh mi dhan leapaidh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR8jgqj2iic&t=189s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSd976uh4LY

Uill, falbh a bruidhinn sa Bheurla (agus 's mathaid beagan Spàinntis cuideachd) aig m'obair. :silly:

(Please do not offer corrections for my Gaelic. Thank you.)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-09-12, 19:20

Made it to level 25 on my Duolingo Spanish course today. :partyhat:

When I started reviewing the course this summer I was at level 17. For those not familiar with Duolingo, the average "lesson" in a Duolingo course is 10 XP. Each unit had 5 levels with a increasing number of lessons per level, and there is also a "practice" feature to do a lesson that reviews content you have already done. It takes 30,000 XP to reach level 25, so that's a ton of lessons. Granted, you can speed that up by using the test-out feature, which lets you test out of each level in each unit, rather than doing each lesson one by one, which is what I do since everything in this course is review for me. Even so, it still takes some effort to earn that much XP. (Years back there was an "immersion" feature that let you get tons of XP via translating online articles, but I never did that with Spanish. All my XP for this course is from doing the course content.)

Now I'm working to get my Welsh to level 25. I'm almost to level 22 right now. My Japanese course in at level 15 and Indonesian is at 14.

Someone on Duolingo today posted some links to some resources for Japanese stories for beginners and I found this among them...quite amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCFpsMSg-U8

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-09-13, 15:52

(cy)

Working on Welsh this morning, a continuation of last night's study marathon, since I don't have to work today. :whistle:

One thing I did last night was translate this poem by Rhys Iorwerth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoF7Lc2csLI

I think I understand the gist of it, although some parts I was unsure of the grammar. But I love how in Welsh culture, as in Scottish Gaelic culture, contemporary poetry is very much supported and appreciated and not treated as a niche thing or an academic thing like it is in most of the English speaking world. It's just frustrating that I cannot afford to buy a lot of available books of poetry in either language because of my financial constraints. I have a couple poetry books in Gaelic I bought ages ago, but not any in Welsh.

I worked on some grammar points last nights and practiced some verb units on Duolingo. I'm still wholly terrible at Welsh grammar, but I'm making progress. :D I am going to progress on the Duolingo course today as well as read so Welsh Twitter and maybe an article online if I'm up for it. My vocabulary is so limited that reading anything written by and for native speakers can be quite a chore. I really need to get back to my Memrise Welsh vocabulary course. :P

(gd)

I started reading A' Choille Fhiadhach by Cionneach Lindsay last night, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Another short one, although I wish this one was longer. Sadly, it doesn't seem this author, who works at SMO, has published any other fiction, at least any that is currently available.

I also want to make a list of words and phrases to review and study from An Creanaiche, which I finished. If I get that completed, maybe, just maybe, I'll make a Memrise course for it. Maybe. No promises.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-09-15, 21:17

I like this idea: https://twitter.com/asap_devorkin/statu ... 2165800960

I'm driving myself a little batty with trying to type in Welsh and forgetting to switch over the the UK Extended keyboard from my default US International keyboard. When I hit the keystroke to make a circumflex over a letter in the UKE keyboard while still on the USI keyboard, I get ¼ instead. There are typos and then there are types like d¼wr. :lol:

I have so many different keyboards installed in my language bar now, it's ridiculous. :oops:

It seems every TAC I do, at some point, my physical resources (books, notebook, workbooks) become lost or badly disorganized and I have to take a day off from studying to organize my studying area and find things that have grow legs and have wandered off. I think I need to do that tomorrow.

I am also thinking about some future plans, which include Breton, Navajo, Hawaiian, either Blackfoot or Ojibwe, Swedish and a massive German review. It looks like at this point that my German review will have to wait until early 2019, which by then, for all I know, I will have lost all interest in doing it so it may not happen at all. Who knows. The more I progress in my languages, the harder it is for me to put them on hold again so I can study or review other ones. Maybe that's a good thing. Either way, I'm really enjoying working on Welsh, Japanese and Indonesian at the moment, even though my time for each is rather limited.

(gd)

Have been working on some Gaelic songs today.

I hope Steaphan doesn't mind me posting this here. I don't know him personally, but I follow him on Twitter and he keeps his Twitter private, so I don't think he wants a lot of attention. But this is one of the many, many songs in An t-Òranaiche, which I have a copy of. It's an old collection of traditional songs, but only the lyrics in most cases. For some songs, it mention the song uses the same melody as another song, but that's little help for me. This was OK when everyone knew the melodies of these songs from hearing them at every cèilidh every week, but nowadays finding resources to learn the melodies of these songs are mostly non-existent for people not living where there are Gaelic musicians who know these songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM-z8P8k7YQ

Here are the Gaelic lyrics of the verses he sings (there are more than this--there are ALWAYS more verses with trad songs :lol: )--there's a English translation in the video description too if you want to look at that.

Mo shoraidh leis na fuar-bheannan
‘S na glinn san robh mi buachailleachd
Is duilich leam mar (a) dh’fhuadaicheadh
An sluagh bha annta còmhnaidh

Brisibh sìos na h-oighreachdan
Is roinnibh oirnn gu caoimhneil iad
Is àraichidh sinn saighdearan
A chumas nàimhdean fodhpa.

Biodh maighstir-sgoile bàigheil ann
A labhras Beurla ‘s Gàidhlig rinn
‘S a dh’ionnsaicheas na pàisdean
‘S a chànain Ghàidhlig bhòidhic

Another trad song I was singing today while cleaning the house--I learned this for a TAC years back and wanted to review it. The Runrig version has a typo. The songs is actually titled "Grìogal Cridhe."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6x1QVYlu8s

(ja)

A couple of videos I watched recently on Japanese onomatopoeia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ladhSwONfrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1qIH239OXg

(es-MX)

I spoke Spanish today! To another person, IRL! A Spanish-speaking Jehovah Witness who came to my door. :waytogo: It was a very brief conversation, as I am not the droid they're looking for.

I'm watching The Hollow again, this time in Spanish (I still have to watch the other seasons in French). I can't post any clips of it but there is Spanish trailer for the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjh9_uPiI04

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-09-17, 4:54

I had recently commented that Duolingo's running gag of having jokey sentences in courses had kind of gotten old over the years, but this one in the new Indonesian course admittedly got a chuckle out of me...

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-09-17, 5:00

Just got another one:

Andi pergi ke toko buku tanpa celana. Andi went to the bookstore without pants.

OK, OK, you win, Duolingo.

(Well, the volunteer Indonesian team who wrote these sentences win.)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-09-18, 15:25

(es-MX)

Watching old Spanish-dubbed Lone Ranger episodes on You Tube and genuinely impressed with how good the Spanish dubbing is compared to the some of the dubbing for 80s and 90s movies I've watched on local Spanish language TV stations here. And this must be the original Spanish dubs too--they're in mono! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgyA-2U4FzM

And I found out that MOJO has a Spanish channel on You Tube. I found most of this video quite easy to understand without subtitles. :good4u:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aVUtbM_drU

Also relating to Coco, I really enjoyed the profiles of Doña Estela Fabián and the Xolo dog in this segment about the real people and cultural things (and dogs) that served as inspiration for the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IllwaN6P0A

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”