TAC 2018 - ceid donn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

ceid donn
Re: SAC 2018 - ceid donn - French & Gaelic (& Japanese)

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-01, 2:47

Just as I left my previous post, this video was brought to my attention: Alison Lang, a Gaelic speaker and author herself, posting a video this week to help promote her fellow Gaelic author Catrìona Lexy Chaimbeul by reading selections ("criomagan") from the book I'm reading, Nigheanan Mòra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMFW_rvJE7w

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-04, 16:55

Mid-week update, because today is a federal holiday in the US and I'm just sitting around not doing anything at the moment...

I think after this SAC I'll focus on Indonesian and Spanish for 3 months (a FAC, I guess, :lol: ). I've been dabbling in both a lot, and I'd like to progress in both. I will just put French and Gaelic on a lower priority--assuming I'm in a comfortable place with both at the end of of this SAC.

I'm watching a couple Netflix series with French audio--Lost in Space and The Hollow. I just found out that Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events series is also dubbed in French so I'll try to watch that too. The Hollow is a little easier for me to follow--it's an animated series, so a lot of it is visual storytelling and so it's not big chunks of dialogue done in fast speech. I can follow moderately paced French speech pretty well now, but I still struggle with fast speech, especially when the speaker is speaking in a "low" voice, which seems common with French media.

It's a pity that Gaelic TV and movies are much more of a pain to find. I started re-watching Bannan on You Tube, despite the annoying English subtitles. The person who uploaded those videos also uploaded another Gaelic series that I'll try to watch too. There's not a lot else, though, in terms of Gaelic medium entertainment that I can access. I have a few Region 2 dvd with Gaelic audio but I haven't been able to use them since I updated to Win10, which doesn't natively support dvds and I can't afford a universal dvd player right now. Most Gaelic language videos I have access right now are educational and that does get dull after a while.

I'm not really anywhere close ot following Japanese language entertainment, although I did watch a couple of the videos of the Easy Japanese series on You Tube and was able to make out about 1/3 to 1/2 with the subtitles as a crutch.

Aside from that I'm mostly been working on Memrise, trying to get through the three courses I'm using for French, Gaelic and Japanese, respectively. I will have to drop Duolingo Japanese because it takes too long to get through with the new "crown" layout. I really dislike the way it paces you rather than allowing you to set your own pace, and that's OK for dabbling but not when I have weekly goals I want to meet and 2 other languages I need to work on as well.

For the rest of the week I want to focus on reading in French and Gaelic, doing some French grammar review and finishing up Unit 2 in Colloquial Japanese. If I have time I will write something in French and in Gaelic.

That is all for now ~ à bientôt, chì mi a-rithist thu, またね :D

Oh yes, also, here's a song from one of my favorite French language albums by one of my favorite French music artists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asjtHNRWh7o

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-08, 16:13

Week 4 much progress update :D

(fr) French

I did a lot on my Memrise course for drilling vocabulary--I'm now at 700/3874, so about 1/5 the way through the vocabulary list. I review nearly all terms I've already learned every day, which is why it's taking me so long to get through it. French, more so than Gaelic, is where I really need to expand my vocabulary.

I watched and then re-watched the first 5 episodes of The Hollow on Netflix with the French audio, first time with English subtitles and the second time without. I also watch the first 2 episode of Stranger Things (which I've already watched in English) with the French audio.

I watched two Français Avec Pierre videos, one was a story and the other was on vocabulary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDaZFZbbaNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ijD9R3_0Ww

I also began re-reading Les lecteurs des pensée by Dima Zales, which is one of the Learn French Through Reading series. I read this before for my TAC a couple years ago and it's a little more challenging that the short stories I've been reading. So far, I've read the first 3 chapters.

And for grammar...er, yeah, I forgot I meant to do that this week. Oops. Well, I will make an extra effort to do some grammar study this week.

(gd) Gaelic

I finished Nigheanan Mòra. I sitll need to finish my vocabulary list for it, but I have already started reading my next book, An Taisteachlach by Iain Fionnlagh Macleòid. This one's pretty short, so I hope to finish it by the end of the week.

Then I also watched 5 episodes of Bannan plus episodes 45-48 of Speaking Our Language and a couple of Look@ grammar videos on LearnGaelic, one on inverted constructions and another on passive verbs.

I didn't get as much progress done on the Memrise course I'm working on as I had hoped--I'm still not quite halfway through it--but that's OK. Between reading and watching videos, which are much more immersive and thus better for my level anyhow, so I think I did quite a lot with Gaelic this week. I do, however, need to write more. :?

(ja) Japanese:

I watched some Japanese shows on Netflix, around 4 hours total, I think, as well as a few of the Easy Japanese videos on You Tube. Not sure how helpful it is at this point, because my vocabulary is still very limited, but I suppose it can't hurt to get my ear better used to hearing spoken Japanese since i don't have regular exposure to it anymore (there used to be many Japanese immigrants where I live, but not anymore). I did however learn why traditional tempura houses do not play music in the background. :D

I finished Japonais 1 on Memrise and started Japonais 2. But I'm running into a problem with the Japonais 2 course not working properly on my Kindle so I have abandoned the course and switched over the one for English speakers, and so I have to start it over. That's fine since I need to review some things from the first course still, mainly some katakana and a few basic phrases that I'm having trouble keeping straight:

悲しんでいます -- am/is sad
怒っています -- am/is angry
間違っています -- am/is wrong
正しいです -- am/is right/correct
疲れています -- am/is tired
気分が悪いです -- am/is feeling bad/sick
お腹が空いています -- am/is hungry
喉が渇いています -- am/is thristy

I completed Unit 2 in Colloquial Japanese earlier in the week, but honestly can't recall a thing it covered at the moment, so I suppose I ought to review it before moving on. :whistle:

I also looked at an overview of Japanese verbs and after the initial shock, it doesn't seem that bad. No, really. LOL. :shock:

Memrise: I earned nearly 500k points this week, which I think is a bit excessive. :lol: I really should try to balance my study time better to use more of my time doing other things like reading and writing in my target languages.

Dabbling: I reviewed a little Welsh this week although I do not think I can make this a regular thing due to time. Also my interest in Welsh isn't very strong at the moment, I regret to say. I have been doing a few minutes of Indonesian on Memrise each day, which I'm enjoying a lot and I have force myself not to spend more that 15-20 minutes on it. And I finished the Memrise on Mexican Spanish earlier this week, but haven't looked at much Spanish since. I will probably start the second Memrise course this week.

Light study Old Irish and Sanskrit:

A new thing I'm doing, but it really is more of something on the side of my SAC, even though it is about learning languages. I want to spend a little time each week studying these languages, just not very intensely. I've already done a couple of hours of study with Old Irish this past week and have started learning Devanagari for Sanskrit. I have chosen Sunday evenings for my study time for Old Irish and I think Monday evening for Sanskrit, although I will need to practice Devanagari a little every day because I'm just not as fast at learning new scripts as I was when I was in my twenties, when my eidetic memory was a lot sharper than it is now. I feel so old. :oops: :lol:

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-07-08, 16:47

Go raibh maith agat as do chuid nasc le físeáin faoi Ghaeilge na hAlban. Iontach go leor, tá mé ábalta cuid measartha mór de a thuiscint. :)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-12, 5:05

My TY Sanskrit textbook came today, finally. I read through the intro stuff, felt overwhelmed and then watched like 6 or 7 Langfocus videos on YouTube (and none about Sanskrit because Langfocus Paul doesn't seem to have much interest in classical languages as their own video topic). I did learn some things from his videos on Japanese though.

I'm dealing with my chronic anemia this week. In addition to the double whammy of the fatigue and insomnia caused by my anemia, it is harder to concentrate and my memory is crap. Any mental work just takes longer to do. Working on my Japanese studies is especially frustrating right now because I'm struggling with recalling kana and kanji correctly. So I think I will have to settle for being a little less ambitious this week and maybe focus a bit more on passive learning, like watching videos and listening to music and audio file. I still have those 50Languages audio files which I can use for French and Japanese, and I have a ton of Gaelic audio files I haven't listened to in a while.

Music-wise with French and Gaelic, I'm good but I haven't found a lot in the way of Japanese music that I really like yet but I have been enjoying videos of songs translated into Japanese from Disney and other popular animated movies on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_y9mrFTOsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HT4q2W56uc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-dqMG-Uycg

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-14, 19:57

(sa) Sanskrit

What the hell am I doing? :lol:

OK, so I guess Saturday will be my Sanskrit study day. I learned the numerals in nāgarī and about half of the vowels. There are 13 vowels in Sanskrit. I have looked at them all but I only practiced memorizing 6 of them today.

I guess for typing in nāgarī I will have to settle for what Win10 calls the Sanskrit keyboard, which is just the Win10 Hindi keyboard layout as far as I can tell, and it uses Arabic numerals and not nāgarī numerals. I have not been able to find a way to type the nāgarī numerals, but thankfully most of them are very easy to recognize, for when i come across them in print elsewhere.

For anyone who's curious, the nāgarī numerals are: ० १ २ ३ ४ ५ ६ ७ ८ ९

I am using this online game to help me practice the nāgarī script: https://www.ashtangayoga.info/sanskrit/ ... ning-game/ I will have to do this a little each day, but once I feel like I have some handle on the script, I will spend my dedicate my allotted Sanskrit study time to progressing the TY Sanskrit book.

It will take me some time to get used to the Hindi/Sanskrit keyboard layout and much of my study time today was just making sure I can type what I need type with that keyboard layout.

For Romanized Sanskrit at the moment I am using a Maori keyboard for the macrons but if anyone knows of a keyboard layout that will let me easily type both macrons and dotted letters (Latin letters with the dot diacritic, or nuktā in Sanskrit, underneath them) let me know.

That's going to have to be it for Sanskrit for now, as all this fussing over keyboards and script while sitting my PC have used up enough of my "spoons" for today and I still want to work on the languages which are more a priority for me. So, right now, I think I'll go make a cup of tea ow and watch some French language stuff on Netflix before doing some grammar exercises. :whistle:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-16, 2:27

Week 5: The anemia update

This week has been quite a struggle because of my chronic anemia has been pretty bad. I have had chronic anemia since I was born, and it's just from time to time my body doesn't produce enough new healthy red blood cells and it can take a week to a month top get back to feeling normal-ish. But in the meantime I have deal with fatigue, insomnia, poor concentration/focus and generally not feeling well. Add in that the World Cup was a huge distraction for me this week, especially today. So I'm cutting myself a little slack here this week.

(fr)

Most of the week I spent focusing on pronunciation practice and passive listening skills. I worked on pronunciation most days, and I watched the first 5 episodes of The Hollow in French (without subtitles) again, as well as 2 episodes of Lost in Space (once with and once without subtitles). I also watch about half of the movie Contact with french subtitles--it was on the filmfra.com site. I didn't finish it because I kind thought the movie was dumb and I didn't like the American cast very much.

I did some exercises on prepositions in L'execiser but it's a pretty long chapter--it'll take me a while to complete it.

(gd)

I also worked on Gaelic pronunciation nearly every day. I watched more episodes of Bannan and spent some quality time with repeated listening of thisinterviewon LearnGaelic.net. I love Muriel's accent--she is from Lewis originally, but now lives on Skye with her husband, who's from Harris and teaches at SMO. I hope one day my Gaelic can sound somewhere in the vicinity of Muriel's gorgeous accent. :lol: Yeah, wishful thinking, I know...

I read a little of An Taistealach but really didn't get very far because my problems with concentrating this week.

I tried to do some writing this week but I just didn't have the energy and focus for it.

(ja)

I really just treaded water with Japanese this week. I added notes in my SAC journal on things covered Unit 2 of CJ, as well as some of useful vocabulary in the 50languages files that I'm using to practice Japanese pronunciation. And I looked up the proper spelling of the Japanese translations of some places I personally might like to talk about at some point:

カリフォルニア kariforunia - California
ロサンゼルス rosanzerusu - Los Angeles
サンタモニカ santamonika - Santa Monica
エリパソ erupaso - El Paso
ヒューストン hyusuton - Houston
テキサス tekisasu - Texas

Plus these kanji:
shuー state
ichiー city, town, market

Also I have watched a few videos on You Tube about Japan, on some basic Japanese grammar, and on advice for studying Japanese, as well as some Japanese music.

Memrise: I cut back on Memrise this week, and I think only earned 175k points--unfortunately the weekly points total has already reset on the Memrise website so I can't double-check that. I covered all my usual courses--French, Gaelic, Japanese, as well as my daily Indonesian practice and a little bit of Welsh. My current longest streak is 40 days on my French course.

Old Irish & Sanskrit: I did do a couple of hours of study in both this week. Sunday evening is suppose to be my Old Irish study time, but I already know I'm not up for it tonight, so I will try to work it in later in the week. With Old Irish, I'm in the middle of reviewing pronunciation, and with Sanskrit, I'm just trying to get comfortable with the script. Baby steps. 8-)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-20, 15:24

(fr)

I was feeling a little burnt out on French at the start of this week. Not terribly so, but the listening practice, vocabulary drills and reading every day was making my brain feel a bit fatigued. So earlier in the week I took a couple days off from my French grind and focused on Irish and Navajo for review, and now for the later part of this week, I'm back working on French.

For the heck of it, I decided to take Français Avec Pierre's test de niveau this morning--now, this isn't a formal type of placement test that conforms to the CERF, as it's geared more to helping people figure out which course of his is suitable for their level. Nonetheless, Pierre has rather high standards so I've never done the test before out of fear I'd just do abysmally and get discouraged. :P And indeed, I found the test a bit challenging, as there were several listening questions and the question prompts do not give you much in the way of clues of what the correct answer is suppose to be.

I got 87% on the test, which makes me quite happy. I got 4 out the 30 questions wrong. That result I feel is pretty much in agreement with my own self-assessment of my ability. Of the questions I got wrong, 3 were listening questions, and on the fourth one I picked the wrong verb tense. That aligns with my own self-assessment of my current weakness--my listening skills are below my overall level and my handle of French grammar still has some points of weakness that need improvement. But hey, I'm a visual-spatial/kinetic learner so it's really quite a task for me to sit still and work through grammar exercises long enough to see any progress in that area. I do what I can without making learning French too much of a chore for me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

What makes me happy is I did get some of the listening questions correct, so I doubt I would have gotten as high a score had I taken this test before the start of the SAC. :D

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-22, 19:01

Week 6 : the stray kitten update

Ok, so for the past two days my life has been hijacked by a 3 month old kitten that I have to keep until Monday morning, which is when there will be space available at a local no-kill shelter to take her in. For people who don't do animal rescue, summertime is "kitten season" and shelters are overflowing with kittens (the small no-kill that agreed to take her currently has 30 kittens, not counting all the other animals they have), which means no-kill shelters have to turn many away. But this kitten, who someone callously abandoned at the park near my house, is too cute and friendly and socialized to hand over to Animal Control, and so she's hanging out here until there's room for her. That would be OK if it weren't for the 2 adult cats who really aren't happy about this interloper, as well as the dog who needs a lot of attention and has to be walked twice a day, and the elderly parent who lives here and also needs my time and assistance, not to mention all the usual adult stuff. Oh, and since the kitten loves attention, and she is a tiny kitten in a big human house, she hates being left in a room alone and cries insistently and very loudly if she is, even if it is for a few minutes.

So, here I am, exhausted from lack of decent sleep and trying to get some studying done despite constant interruptions thanks to this ridiculous situation. So let's see how I made out for this week:

(fr)

I'm trying to get back into my routine of doing a Duolingo French story a day and redoing the previous day's story, but Duolingo had to go fiddle with things and reordered the stories, so now stories I've competed are scattered across the different tiers and I have to go back to unlock the tiers I had previously unlocked. And this completely threw my Aspergers ass off. Thanks, Duo.

I watched more episodes of The Hollow and I started watching another show in lieu of Lost in Space (I am just having the worst time with trying to understand the French dubs for the adult leads). The Netflix show I'm watching now is Free Rein. It's a really cheesy show for tweens (I think, idk :roll: ) with girls and horses. But it has the benefit of having better French voice actors--by better, I mean, I can understand them more readily. :lol:

For grammar, I am so very close to finishing this chapter of prepositions. I think after this I will focus on verbs.

I'm on chapter 9 of the novel I'm reading, Les lecteurs de pensée. That's about 1/3 the way through. I think my reading comprehension is good enough to read fiction without the crutch of an English translation but there are still a number of more complex sentences that I come across that I can understand from context but wouldn't think to compose on my own at my level so I like having the English there to check if my parsing of the sentence is correct.

I did manage to keep up with Memrise this week although it has been very hard the last couple of days to find the time. I have a 47 day streak on my main French course although I've only learned a few new words this week, so it's mostly be all reviewing which is better than nothing, right? :whistle:

Oh, and I've been on a Stromae kick lately, so allow me to share with you this rather creative if not disturbing video (which sadly has non-optional English subtitles added to it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKftOH54iNU

(gd)

I read a couple more chapters in An Taistealach and I went back to Nigheanan Mòra and started making a list of the words I highlighted in that. I also began Sguel du Latha, finally. This will be a big project, though. I'm going to read a bit of it and then decide on what approach I should take with it.

(Sidenote: I recently saw that on Amazon the price for this book has seriously skyrocketed. When I bought mine, I thought it was massive indulgence at $100 for a new copy. Now people are asking $500 or more for a used copy. Jeesh. :shock: This is sadly one of the downsides of advancing in a minority language--books in print are scarce and when they go out of print, they end up beyond the reach of most learners. I really need to take care of my copy, huh? :whistle: )

Likewise as with French, I didn't make a lot of progress with my Gaelic Memrise course beyond reviewing terms and keeping my streak.

I did some writing in my journal but nothing complete or coherent enough to post. I will try to put together something more presentable in the next couple of weeks.

(ja)

I have gotten through Units 1-4 in Colloquial Japanese and have started on Unit 5. Now that I have a better grasp of reading in Japanese, I'm doing this a bit more like how I went through Teach Yourself Gaelic--read a unit, look over the grammar, vocabulary and exercises to make sure I have a general knowledge of the stuff and then move on, and returning to those units when I need to. I don't see a lot of benefit in being "perfect" with a lot of this material, as the pieces for me are starting to come to together and I want to keep up my interest and motivation rather than drill specific things until I'm bored.

I discovered that a You Tube user, NihonGoal, has made some good videos that cover vocabulary, grammar and kanji in Minna no Nihongo, and I have watched the grammar and vocabulary videos for Units 1-4. I don't have the book, but I find these videos to be a very good supplement to my other resources.

I'm a little on the fence on how I should be learning kanji at this point. I think I will continue for now just learning them in context of sentences and phrases that I can use at my level and worry about learning all the readings later on when I am more advanced. It's just very hard for me to remember different readings for a kanji when I am only seeing it used in one way with the materials I am using.

I have been doing listening practice with Memrise and some of videos on You Tube. From this video I learned the word 帰国子女 kikokushijo for a Japanese person born and educated abroad and has returned to Japan and that the word for "generality"--般性 iappansei--is used to describe "regular Japanese people," here meaning Japanese born in Japan and who have received a typical Japanese education. (Note that there are quite a few of spelling errors in the English subtitles, and since my Japanese isn't very advanced I can't attest to how accurate the translations are.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkCA_0zCfY

Dabbling: Because I needed to take a break from French for a couple days, I did some review of Irish and Navajo. I have continued with my daily 15 minutes of Indonesian, and I reviewed some more Welsh. I almost, kind of, very nearly got sucked into doing some Finnish but nope, I resisted! 8-) And I watched this very interesting Langfocus video on Wolof when I was suppose to be working on my Japanese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUhvSeqFB6w&t=407s

Memrise Goal: I'm now 571k away from my goal. Seeing when I started I was 2.48 away from my goal, that's a lot of progress! This week I did 283k points.

The Memrise app is not running very well on my Kindle app now--I think my Kindle is pretty much dying but it'll be a few months before I'll have the money to replace it, since I want to get a good Android tablet instead of another cheap Kindle. So, my finger crossed that this Kindle can last that long because I hate doing Memrise and reading ebooks on the PC. :lol:

OId Irish/Sanskrit: Aside from some irregular script practice for Sanskrit, nothing. I just didn't have either the time or energy this week. Since these are just side projects, that's OK.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-07-22, 19:17

ceid donn wrote:(ja)

I have gotten through Units 1-4 in Colloquial Japanese and have started on Unit 5. Now that I have a better grasp of reading in Japanese, I'm doing this a bit more like how I went through Teach Yourself Gaelic--read a unit, look over the grammar, vocabulary and exercises to make sure I have a general knowledge of the stuff and then move on, and returning to those units when I need to. I don't see a lot of benefit in being "perfect" with a lot of this material, as the pieces for me are starting to come to together and I want to keep up my interest and motivation rather than drill specific things until I'm bored.

I discovered that a You Tube user, NihonGoal, has made some good videos that cover vocabulary, grammar and kanji in Minna no Nihongo, and I have watched the grammar and vocabulary videos for Units 1-4. I don't have the book, but I find these videos to be a very good supplement to my other resources.

I'm a little on the fence on how I should be learning kanji at this point. I think I will continue for now just learning them in context of sentences and phrases that I can use at my level and worry about learning all the readings later on when I am more advanced. It's just very hard for me to remember different readings for a kanji when I am only seeing it used in one way with the materials I am using.

I have been doing listening practice with Memrise and some of videos on You Tube. From this video I learned the word 帰国子女 kikokushijo for a Japanese person born and educated abroad and has returned to Japan and that the word for "generality"--般性 iappansei--is used to describe "regular Japanese people," here meaning Japanese born in Japan and who have received a typical Japanese education. (Note that there are quite a few of spelling errors in the English subtitles, and since my Japanese isn't very advanced I can't attest to how accurate the translations are.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkCA_0zCfY

I didn't mean to kick you out of the study group. You can still post goals and stuff there if you'd like. :)

I'm glad to see you're still plugging away at Japanese though.

I also have been struggling a bit with getting into kanji. I still not exactly sure how I want to navigate those waters myself.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-22, 20:45

That's Ok, I just thought if you and vijayjohn were going to do some translation collaborations that my posts would be in the way. I can post stuff there if you want. 8-)

Also related to Japanese, my mom was watching an old Cary Grant movie, Walk Don't Run, this afternoon while I was in the kitchen fixing a pizza for my lunch/dinner and I had fun picking out what I could of the Japanese lines.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-07-22, 20:52

ceid donn wrote:That's Ok, I just thought if you and vijayjohn were going to do some translation collaborations that my posts would be in the way. I can post stuff there if you want. 8-)

More like if you want to, but yeah I wouldn't mind. In fact it's been rather quiet there this past week or so.

We'll probably use a different thread for the translations and stuff, but either way don't worry about interrupting me and/or Vijay. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-22, 20:54

I agree, I'm also in favor of using a different thread for translation.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-23, 0:48

Ok. :) I'll post something in the Japanese study thread, hopefully tomorrow. Right now, it's almost 7 PM here and it's still 106F/41C outside and on top of that, my blood pressure is a bit high. So I'm going to go lie in bed for a couple of hours and goof around on Duolingo on my Kindle or watch Netflix. 8-)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-24, 18:52

I tried out this new (?) site called Readlang, that offers reading material in your target language with the added bonus of being able to click on unfamiliar words and get a pop-up translation of it. Sounds good, yeah? Well, it sucks. At least as far I can tell.

I tried some of the more advanced French offerings and all I got were computer-translated selections from news articles or other media. And the pop-up translation just offers one translation, and not necessarily the correct one for the context.

I think I'll pass on this for now, if this is the best they can do for a language as widely used on the internet as French. The format needs to be vastly improved before it is really of benefit to most learners, in my opinion.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-24, 19:00

Oh I forgot to mention also that Duolingo released its Hindi for English speakers course a few days ago, and I finally got around to seeing if it might help me practice the nāgāri script, and why, yes, I think it will. :lol: I might even learn a little Hindi along the way.

Speaking of which...what happened to Meera? She's still active on Duolingo, but I have no way to just message her and say hi there because Duolingo removed our personal feeds to talk with our friends, and I haven't seen her around here since I came back. I hope she just has been busy with life and stuff and that no one here was a dick to her and chased her off. Unilang can be like that sometimes. :?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-25, 0:27

Last I heard, she was swamped with college.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-25, 4:30

Ah, OK. :)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-07-25, 20:03

Readlang is old, actually, it's just maintained, not even worked on any more. I gave up on it for the reasons you mentioned. I like LingQ better, but it's not free and the bugs plus the fact that they change things which were ok instead of changing things that need to be worked on annoy me, but you get texts + audio, far more material than on Readlang (at least for French), community translations (which you can edit) or you can even add your own translations, they've integrated dictionaries, verb declension sites quite nicely. They do have a very limited free version, so feel free to give it a go. Like I said the other day, I still like it better than other sites like it, but it can be frustrating from time to time. Especially these days with their big update to the site.
Please correct my mistakes!

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-26, 3:23

I thought the site looked old, with its layout, but the person who shared the link with me made it sound like it was a new site.

I'll check out LingQ. Thanks. :)

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”