TAC 2018 - Vijay

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: TAC 2018 - Vijay

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-04, 0:04

As if I didn't get the reference. I just transcended it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-04, 0:31

So once you go pop, you can't stop...but your bullets can?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-04, 0:45

Honey, this is you we're talking about. Anything is possible.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-04, 0:56

I'll take that as a yes. :mrgreen:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-04, 4:32

So I've moved on to Swahili in my TAC round (and still done nothing on Reddit since the last time I mentioned it :lol:) and intend to move on to Hindi sometime soon. :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-04, 18:46

I did move on to Hindi, and...oh, right, I also gave myself two stars for Krio in my profile for no other reason than the fact that I managed to write a message in it to that guy on Reddit who said I made no mistakes and sounded like a native speaker. :whistle:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-04, 23:29

I just realized a while ago that I'm an idiot for not having created a personal thread for Swahili. :roll: So for now, I'm just going to post some new vocab here. I wonder whether I should do that for Amharic, too, for vocab that doesn't seem to stick in my brain at first. :hmm:

I still have plenty of trouble with Amharic script btw. :lol: Anyway, here's some new vocab for Swahili! (Oh, and I have now read the first three chapters of Colloquial Amharic and listened to each dialogue at least a few times, except that I haven't finished reading the last grammar section, I guess :P):

bunch of bananas = mkungu wa ndizi
corn flour = unga wa mahindi
wheat flour = unga wa ngano
stroll = matembezi
to start = kuanza
to finish = kumaliza
to repair = kukarabati
to walk = kutembea
timetable(s) = ratiba
early = mapema

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-05, 1:54

You may have mentioned this already but what are you using to learn Swahili?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-05, 2:57

Well, actually, all of this is just stuff I'm reviewing in Swahili from TY. I could probably use LangMedia and Global Dialogues (a series on YouTube mostly for encouraging safe sex in poorer countries, especially in Africa and I think Latin America) a bit more than I have been, though. It's just that there is an awful lot to review from TY! :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-05, 6:11

So is TY Swahili good? To be honest, even though I have several TY books*, I have never gone through any of them fully. I don't even think I've reached the halfway point in any of them. Though, that could also be said for almost every written/published language resource I have, with probably the exception of Integrated Korean since that was my text book in school.

*Complete Welsh, Speak Welsh with Confidence, Irish Grammar, Get Started in German, Get Started in French, Get Started in Spanish, Get Started in Mandarin Chinese, Complete Old English, Complete Brazilian Portuguese, Complete Swedish, Read and Write Chinese Script, Sanskrit, Latin, and Latin American Spanish
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-05, 6:25

Well, to be honest, I actually don't have very many of the Complete books; I have the 1990s editions. In this case, my copy of TY Swahili is this one from 1996 (I love the illustrations on the cover even though the flag of Zaire is obviously outdated haha :P). I would say it's actually really good! That is, it has a LOT of material in it. It has only 18 chapters, but it somehow feels like it has a lot more than that because it has lots of vocabulary and covers a lot of important grammar points in quite a bit of detail. This makes it really hard to get through even though it's also a fun book. It sometimes includes extracts from actual printed texts in Swahili and has a number of proverbs and even a few riddles. It also includes a lot of really interesting cultural notes. I bought it when I was like seven or something and of course started reading it even in the car on the way home, but I don't think I managed to get through the whole thing until one time when I was in grad school and I finally was like "okay, this time, I'm finally going to read the whole thing!!" even though inevitably, I didn't get everything out of it I wanted to.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-05, 6:36

So your link led me to this: an audio cassette of the TY Swahili 2003 course that is being sold for CDN $918.66. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sometimes I don't understand where Amazon Marketplace gets its prices from. Do some people really think their (possibly only) copy of the TY Swahili audio cassette is worth almost a grand just because it's in audio cassette format?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-05, 6:43

I'm not surprised, honestly. My default assumption is that Amazon will try to rip you off on anything, even though I'm pretty sure księżycowy proved to me that that's not the case. :P

(Can't I just call you ksiezycowy? :doggy: I have to dig up those damn diacritics every fucking time :roll: not that I really care all that much :lol:).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-05, 7:02

vijayjohn wrote:(Can't I just call you ksiezycowy? :doggy: I have to dig up those damn diacritics every fucking time :roll: not that I really care all that much :lol:).

Thank you!!! I'm gladd someone finally said it! I had actually thought of that before, but then figured it's more respectful to try and spell someone's nick correctly, which is why I just find his profile or a recent post and copy-paste his nick. If I didn't have to worry about the diacritics, I wouldn't have to worry about the fact that I'm not sure how to type them using the US-international keyboard (and yes I know I can just look up the keymap and memorize it!), and I especially wouldn't have to worry about remembering the exact spelling. Without the diacritics, it's not too difficult to remember.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-05, 7:46

I decided to knock one star off Malayalam in my profile. It's become pretty obvious that I'm still very far from being native-like in Malayalam. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-05, 10:34

vijayjohn wrote:I'm not surprised, honestly. My default assumption is that Amazon will try to rip you off on anything, even though I'm pretty sure księżycowy proved to me that that's not the case. :P

There is a difference between Amazon the company and Amazon the Marketplace. On the Marketplace people other than Amazon set the prices they are selling things for. I've sold some stuff on there myself, so I have first hand experience. Some people apparently think they can strick it rich with obscure languages and hike up the price. Ridiculous if you ask me. That's what pisses me off with some Dunwoody materials now that they're not selling publicly anymore.

(Can't I just call you ksiezycowy? :doggy: I have to dig up those damn diacritics every fucking time :roll: not that I really care all that much :lol:).

And now you can remove two stars from every language on your list just for suggesting that!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-05, 17:45

Dunwoody?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-05, 17:47

Vijay-kun, how can you claim to be a Unilanger or language enthusiast and not know about Dunwoody Press?

You're a disgrace! Now turn in your badge and gun!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-05, 17:49

But then I won't be able to commit seppuku!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-05, 17:51

You need a katana to properly preform seppuku!

You're even more of a disgrace than I thought! Get out of my sight!

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”