2018 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
2018 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-24, 20:07

Well, it's that time of the year again! Time for a fresh, shiny new blog!

The Languages, Resources and Plans:
[My old blog for reference: 2017 Blog]

Hebrew
The Resources:
  1. Biblical Hebrew: Text and Workbook 2nd Edition by Kittel, et al.
  2. Readings in Biblical Hebrew: An Intermediate Textbook by Ben Zvi, et al.
  3. Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  4. A Grammar of Biblical Hebrewby Joüon and updated by Muraoka. [as needed]
  5. The Routledge Introductory Course in Modern Hebrew by Etzion [optional]

The Plan:
I've managed to get pretty far in my Biblical Hebrew textbook. I have gotten up to around lesson 29. My overall goal is to finish the textbook (which I'd like completed before Spring hits), and then read some biblical Hebrew. At some point this year I'd like to start in on the intermediate textbook I just acquired (literally :P ), but I wouldn't mind a break from active study for a bit (which will probably happen over the summer).

For Modern Hebrew, I'd like to try to make it through my textbook. As this is supplemental to my Biblical Hebrew studies, I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

Japanese
The Resources:
  1. 「みんなの日本語初級第2版本冊」Textbook I and II by 3A.
  2. Basic Japanese: A Grammar and Workbook by Hamano and Tsujioka
  3. Japanese Graded Readers by Ask Publications, Level 0 Vol 1 [and other vols and levels upon completion]
  4. 齋藤孝のイッキによめる! 名作選小学1年生 新装版

The Plan:
As I seriously want to got to Japan for a while sometime within the next few years, I'd like to complete the beginner level of MnN (meaning both textbooks). That will be my goal this year. In fact that is the goal for this year! Next year I hope to move on to the intermediate textbooks. I also wouldn't mind some alone time with Japanese at some point this year. We need to rekindle our relationship. :blush:

I'll try to make that special time happen over the end of Spring and through the summer. In fact, I'd love to finish both textbooks by the end of summer. I'm almost half way through the first volume now.

Irish
The Resources:
  1. Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon and Ó Cróinín
  2. Set of three Readers (w/audio) by Breacadh written in Munster Irish
  3. An Tigh Glas agus scéalta eile by Mac Suibhne
  4. Séadna (w/audio book) by Peadar Ua Laoghaire [supplemented with: https://www.scoilgaeilge.org/lessons/seadna/seadna.htm]
  5. My Cork Irish Dictionary [and other dictionary references as needed]

The Plan:
It's pretty simple for Irish. Finish my textbook (TYI) and then read, read, and read some more. I'm currently on lesson XII out of XXVII. I want to complete my textbook no later than March 17th. At some point it would be nice to go through Ó Sé's grammar, but I don't know if that will be this year or not. I also have (in pdf format) The Grammatical Structure of Munster Irish by Alan Ward. That might be fun to pick through at some point.

Seneca
The Resources:
  1. Conversational Seneca language course facilitated by the Seneca Nation
  2. Seneca Language Supplement
  3. Fundamentals of Seneca
  4. English - Seneca Dictionary by Chafe, et al.
  5. A Grammar of the Seneca Language by Chafe [as needed]
  6. Any other resources offered in the future by the Seneca Language website.

The Plan:
First priority is to go as far as I can and make the most of the wonderful resource that is the conversational language course. Other than that it's to pick up as much as I can from the other resources I have and come across. Unfortunately I can't get any more concrete than that due to the resources I have to work with. Depending on how far these things take me, and how long the course is, I may entertain the idea of learning another Iroquoian language at some point this year.

Polish
The Resource:
  1. First-Year Polish by Swan [including supplementary workbooks for independent study]

The Plan:
I really want to stat learning some of the other heritage languages of mine. Polish and German. My plan for Polish is to start it sometime after I have finished my active study of Hebrew and Irish. At this point I'm not sure if I'll start it in the summer or the fall. I do not expect to finish my textbook, but to get as far as I can in relation to when I start. I will be starting Polish by Fall for sure.

German
The Resources:
  1. Living German 7th Edition by Buckely, rev by Coggle
  2. German with Ease (Assimil) by Roemer, trans. by Pfeiffer

The Plan:
See Polish. German may end up waiting for a bit though. We'll see.

Others
If there is time and energy to do so, I would like to revisit my study of the Arrandic languages. I don't know if I will want to pick up Arrernte again or go with Kaytetye first this time. I'll figure it out if/when I get there.

I would also like to pick up some Aleut and/or Inupiaq if possible.

Last by not least I wouldn't mind refreshing my knowledge of Classical/Koine Greek and also picking up some Latin.

All of these, of course, depend on how the main languages go above.

The Battle Strategy
Concidering that my time is consumed with my thesis and other things to finish up before my MA is complete, I think it might behoove me to focus on one or two languages at a time. So:
Winter and Early Spring: Hebrew and Irish
Late Spring and Summer Japanese (and Irish?)
Fall: Polish (and German?)

I do not envision this as only doing the one or two languages listed. Rather, they will be the focal point of study and more time and effort will be given to these languages than others.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2018-01-02, 13:02, edited 3 times in total.

księżycowy

Re: 2018 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-24, 20:18

So, without further ado, here are my first set of goals for this blog!

Goals For 12/24 Through 12/30
    Japanese
  • Review Lessons 7-9 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Read and Translate the first story out of the Japanese Graded Reader Level 0 Vol 1 [optional]

Hebrew
  • Translate and Parse Ex 3:7-9
  • Complete Lessons 1-2 in The Routledge Introductory Course in Modern Hebrew by Etzion

Irish
  • Review Lessons 7-9 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Read and Translate An Chearc Uisce [optional]

Seneca
  • Complete Lessons 5 & 6 in Seneca Language Supplement
  • Review Lessons 1-4 in Seneca Language Supplement

Anki
  • Hebrew - Lessons 5-10 (Kittel), Lessons 1-2 (Etzion)
  • Japanese - Lessons 4-6 (and maybe some extra sentences from lessons 1-3)
  • Irish - Lessons 7-9
  • Seneca - Lessons 1-4 (Supplement)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-24, 20:20

księżycowy wrote:Others
If there is time and energy to do so, I would like to revisit my study of the Arrandic languages. I don't know if I will want to pick up Arrernte again or go with Kaytetye first this time. I'll figure it out if/when I get there.

I would also like to pick up some Aleut and/or Inupiaq if possible.

Last by not least I wouldn't mind refreshing my knowledge of Classical/Koine Greek and also picking up some Latin.

All of these, of course, depend on how the main languages go above.

Actually, I wouldn't mind adding a Chinese language either. I think I had said I'd try to get to one this time around. Maybe in Spring or Summer. We'll see.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-12-24, 20:45

księżycowy wrote:齋藤

This name always makes me chuckle. For families who weren't satisfied by the complexity of 斉藤, 斎藤, and 齊藤. :lol:
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-12-24, 21:58

księżycowy wrote:I'd like to complete the beginner level of MnN (meaning both textbooks). That will be my goal this year. In fact that is the goal for this year!

Damn, that's a tall order for a week!! :D :silly:

Polish
The Resource:
  1. First-Year Polish by Swan [including supplementary workbooks for independent study]

Where did you get the book? Even though I'm not doing it now, I still fondly think about the (very little) bit of Polish I did about 3 years ago. I would like to properly study it as some point, but I have been stalled in part by a lack of resource. (Well there is Mango Languages and Duolingo, but I don't really consider them proper resources).

Also, how do you manage to not get overwhelmed or go crazy from making so many goals per week? Even though I'm doing multiple languages, you might have noticed that I usually made goals for one, two, or three languages per week. It's not that I can't do stuff in all my languages each week (and I usually end up doing so), but I find creating a goal or two for myself in each language gets overwhelming.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-24, 22:36

dEhiN wrote:Damn, that's a tall order for a week!! :D :silly:

I said year, not week. :P

Where did you get the book? Even though I'm not doing it now, I still fondly think about the (very little) bit of Polish I did about 3 years ago. I would like to properly study it as some point, but I have been stalled in part by a lack of resource.

Amazon for the main textbook, Ohio State University for the workbooks.

I'm also familiar with Beginning Polish by Schenker, which I think makes some points of grammar more complicated then they need to be and wouldn't recommend. I highly recommend the Cześć, jak się masz series by Universitas if you're looking for anything beyond A2-B1. In fact I intend to get the newer editions of this series. Maybe just the intermediate and advanced books though, considering I'm starting off with Swan. Note: I don' t know if Universitas ships internationally or not. You can find their textbooks from other sellers in North America too. I think I bought the 1st edition copies I used to have from Polonia Bookstore.

If you're into online/pdf resources Swan has an updated version of First-Year Polish too. There are other goodies there too.

(Well there is Mango Languages and Duolingo, but I don't really consider them proper resources).

Maybe it's fine for fooling around with a language, but certainly not for romancing one.

Also, how do you manage to not get overwhelmed or go crazy from making so many goals per week? Even though I'm doing multiple languages, you might have noticed that I usually made goals for one, two, or three languages per week. It's not that I can't do stuff in all my languages each week (and I usually end up doing so), but I find creating a goal or two for myself in each language gets overwhelming.

I don't find it all that overwhelming. I just take shots in the dark. :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-24, 23:14

księżycowy wrote:We need to rekindle our relationship. :blush:

I just came here because you drove me here :twisted: and the word "kindle" always reminds me of the time a friend of my mom's (I think) learned a song with the words "kindle a fire in my heart" in them (or maybe that was even the name of the song) as a kid at school, and she misunderstood the first three words as കിണ്ടിയിലെ പയറ് [kiɳˈɖiːle pəˈjərɯ], which means something like 'beans in this kind of pot/pitcher'. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-12-24, 23:20

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Damn, that's a tall order for a week!! :D :silly:

I said year, not week. :P

Yes, but you did write it this year, which has only a week left! :twisted:

I'm also familiar with Beginning Polish by Schenker, which I think makes some points of grammar more complicated then they need to be and wouldn't recommend. I highly recommend the Cześć, jak się masz series by Universitas if you're looking for anything beyond A2-B1. In fact I intend to get the newer editions of this series. Maybe just the intermediate and advanced books though, considering I'm starting off with Swan. Note: I don' t know if Universitas ships internationally or not. You can find their textbooks from other sellers in North America too. I think I bought the 1st edition copies I used to have from Polonia Bookstore.

If you're into online/pdf resources Swan has an updated version of First-Year Polish too. There are other goodies there too.

Huh, thanks!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-24, 23:28

This is TAC time, not calander time people! :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 0:11

dEhiN wrote:Huh, thanks!

Nie ma za co.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 2:45

Well, I'm starting my TAC for 2018 in 2018! :hmpf:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 3:18

Where would like me to put your award?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 4:11

In my parents' bedroom where all the rest of them are.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-12-25, 10:46

księżycowy wrote:
For Modern Hebrew, I'd like to try to make it through my textbook, but we'll see if I even start it. :P

Don't you give up on Modern Hebrew :bastard:
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 11:49

We've tried the paddles three times! I don't think he'll make it!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 16:45

Oh, btw, I just happen to have TY Polish. :whistle:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 16:54

I have a battle worn copy of the 90's edition of TY Polish myself. It was a book that I gave to my grandma, and have since taken back with her passing. I gave it to her to try to help her recover some of the Polish she had spoken as a child and had subsequently lost over the years as an adult. She was a fluent speaker, once upon a time. Unfortunately, by the time me and my interest in Polish came into the picture, she had lost a great deal of it.

I keep it more as an heirloom than anything else.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 17:03

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. :(

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 17:11

If nothing else, it gives me the drive to actually learn the language myself. Keep the Polish-ness alive in the family. She was always supportive of my attempts to learn it.

It may amuse some of you, but I have kind of an opposite story about Irish. My other grandma was as Irish as you can get. Her father had come over to the U.S. from County Cork Ireland (hence my interest in Munster Irish). But I was learning some (mostly with the 90's version of TYI by Ó Se and Sheils) and my grandma always told me I'd never be able to learn it. apparently she had heard some back in the day and had formed the impression that it was "unlearnable" or something. :lol:

This in turn formed my drive to learn the language to prove her wrong. :P

I wonder what I ever did with that book.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 17:15

księżycowy wrote:It may amuse some of you, but I have kind of an opposite story about Irish. My other grandma was as Irish as you can get. Her father had come over to the U.S. from County Cork Ireland (hence my interest in Munster Irish). But I was learning some (mostly with the 90's version of TYI by Ó Se and Sheils) and my grandma always told me I'd never be able to learn it. apparently she had heard some back in the day and had formed the impression that it was "unlearnable" or something. :lol:

She didn't speak it herself?

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”