2018 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: 2018 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-25, 16:38

dEhiN wrote:I don't have a vision right now. I was more asking because I feel like you've done some Hokkien (unless you never said that in all the back-and-forth between you and Vijay-bhai), or at least enough of other Sino-Tibetan languages to not be starting from complete scratch! So whatever we do, there's a good chance I'll be the slow one in the class.

Where as it's true I have some minor familiarity with Sinitic languages, I never got that far, and have mostly forgotten everything. :P

I'm basically starting from scratch.

How long have you been learning languages for? Or how long have you been pursuing this interest (in any fashion)? For me, apart from French in public school and Tamil on and off since Grade 10, I've really only been pursuing this interest since 2011. In that time, I've attempted different languages, but most of them have been Indo-European. (I'll try to list them all out at some point, but I have to head out now).

Idk. I remember when I was a tween (maybe even younger) I was variously studying some German and Russian.
Then in high school I was studying some Greek, Latin, Hebrew and German. As I've said before though, I've forgotten a good deal of my earlier attempts.

I distinctly remember German because I was using one of mein Vater's old college textbook, from like the 50's or something. :lol:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-05-25, 17:07

księżycowy wrote:I distinctly remember German because I was using one of meinem Vater his old college textbook

#dergenitivisttot
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-25, 17:08

I was purposefully saying in in German, but not using the right case. But Danke all the same! :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-25, 23:49

Getting back to Taiwanese, this is my proposed plan of attack:
2ish Pronunciation lessons a week, and then (because just doing pronunciations lessons would bore me to tears), pick at the first lesson or ten.

And by pick at, I mean, pick up a few pieces of vocab, learn a chuck of the dialogue, or learn a grammar point. Do one of those in a week. And then probably keep up that pace (or close to it), after the pronunciation lessons are done. I'm really not intending on going to fast here.

Though it seems you're both ditching me. I'll go cry now..... :doggy: :doggy: :cry: :cry:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-26, 2:10

księżycowy wrote:Make that game Vijay. Seriously.

Maybe I can make one on UniLang somehow.
dEhiN wrote:Chumps chomp like chimps :silly:

Chumps like me can make chimps like księżycowy chomp on Papua New Guinea. :naughty: :twisted:
księżycowy wrote:I've been focusing most of my efforts on getting Vijay on board. :P

I thought you gave up!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-26, 3:35

księżycowy wrote:Though it seems you're both ditching me. I'll go cry now..... :doggy: :doggy: :cry: :cry:

How am I ditching you? You asked me about Chinese and suggested Hokkien, which to me is not Taiwanese! Am I mistaken?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-26, 3:39

dEhiN wrote:
księżycowy wrote:Though it seems you're both ditching me. I'll go cry now..... :doggy: :doggy: :cry: :cry:

How am I ditching you? You asked me about Chinese and suggested Hokkien, which to me is not Taiwanese! Am I mistaken?

Sort of. Taiwanese is a variety of Hokkien. It would be like saying English isn't American English.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-26, 4:19

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Sort of. Taiwanese is a variety of Hokkien. It would be like saying English isn't American English.

I hear Taiwanese and think a variety of Mandarin. (Even though you two had a whole discussion about Taiwanese Mandarin versus Taiwanese Hokkien.)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-26, 4:27

Nah, "Taiwanese" means 'Taiwanese Hokkien' as far as I know. Compare "Irish" (which means 'Irish Gaelic', not 'Hiberno-English').

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-26, 4:29

Huh, didn't know! In that case, regardless of whose TAC it is, I will do Hokkien with whomever else wants to do it.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-26, 7:47

Wow. :lol:

Yeah, sorry. I thought you knew Taiwanese = Hokkien. Unless you specify Taiwanese Mandarin, it's usually used to mean Taiwanese Hokkien by itself.

Obviously i use the two interchangeably. Taiwanese and Hokkien I mean. :P (Though i do have a preference for calling it Taiwanese, as that's the specific dialect of Hokkien I'm most interested in.)

And Vijay, I never truly give up. :twisted:

And cool. Welcome aboard dEhiN! I assume this is why you said what you said in you TAC. Which clears up a lot. :lol:

Now, to get Vijay in on this. Mwahahaha. :wicked:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-26, 12:21

As long as you never truly give up, I'll never truly walk back my offer to just follow along with the part of TME that's in Chinese characters. :twisted: I mean, after all, no variety of Sinitic is going to be brand-new to me even if I've never seen/heard it before since I already know one. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-26, 12:26

What difference does it make if it's completely new to you or not?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-26, 12:36

Oh, I guess I thought you wanted to see me do a language with you that we're both equally unfamiliar with or something.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-26, 12:38

In this one instance I suppose I could let you be the......master.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-26, 20:39

Careful; if you give Vijay an inch, he might take a mile! :twisted: :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-27, 15:52

I probably do that all the time without even trying. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-29, 20:59

So, I didn't really get anything done with past week, cause of various reasons. Most importantly because I came down with an infection (well, not 100% sure it's an infection, but the evidence so far sure points to one) and have been sick for a good few days. In fact I still am, but I'm getting better.

Hopefully I can make some progress the rest of this week with at least a few of my languages.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-29, 21:20

Sorry to hear you've been sick. Hope you feel better soon!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-29, 21:29

To-sīa! :)

I don't have a fever anymore, so that's a step in the right direction.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”