2018 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

kevin
Language Forum Moderator
Re: 2018 blog - księżyc

Postby kevin » 2018-06-18, 13:35

I suppose with Ulster the risk of confusing it with Munster would be the least. :P

But more seriously, I think I'll just go along with whatever Vijay and you decide.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-18, 17:28

I don't think there's any need for either of you to change which dialects you're learning or anything just for the purpose of that study thread. Księżycowy, you can keep doing Munster; kevin, you can keep doing Ulster. I'm most familiar with Connacht but not sure which variety exactly - I guess mainly with the highly Anglicized Irish of my friend from Galway. :P But I can still try to help you through that resource for Munster Irish, księżycowy, no matter how far behind I am (it is for Munster, isn't it?). I have no idea what you're using, though, kevin.

I have Buntús Cainte in print and on audiocassettes (which I can't play without using this pretty large tape recorder downstairs in the guest bedroom :P). I also have Ó Siadhail's Learning Irish both in print and electronically, as well as the book księżycowy's been using and eight others (all electronically).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-18, 17:33

Conform or perish!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-18, 18:46

Huh? Conform to what? :hmm:
:P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-18, 18:51

Gaelainn!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-18, 20:11

Oh? What about kevin then? :whistle:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-18, 20:19

GAELAINN OR DEATH!

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-06-18, 20:51

vijayjohn wrote:I don't think there's any need for either of you to change which dialects you're learning or anything just for the purpose of that study thread.

Wasn't the idea to do the same book together?

Unless, of course, we do want to give the comparative thing a try and everyone picks a different dialect, and ceid donn can join in with Gaeilge na hAlban. But then you need to tell us how this is supposed to work in detail.

I have no idea what you're using, though, kevin.

Me? Studying? An ag magadh atá tú? ;)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-18, 21:00

kevin wrote:Wasn't the idea to do the same book together?

That was the original idea, yes. And I'm still hoping for that, personally.

But we could do something like me and Salajane are doing in our Polish study group, and use different resources. I'd reluctantly agree to that, if we couldn't agree on a text to use together.

Unless, of course, we do want to give the comparative thing a try and everyone picks a different dialect, and ceid donn can join in with Gaeilge na hAlban. But then you need to tell us how this is supposed to work in detail.

Indeed.

By the way, kevin, did you talk your self out of Hebrew?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-18, 21:27

In the interest in finding a text for us all to use, I have the following:

Ulster
Tús Maith (Parts 1-3) [Which would be easy as sin to scan and upload for private use. I'm no pirate, regardless of my interest in Somali.]
And obviously Búntus na Gaeilge is online in pdf formate already.

Connacht
Learning Irish
Colloquial Irish

Munster
Teach Yourself Irish

(Please don't make me add CO.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-18, 21:33

I can only speak for myself, but I'm still willing to just help you through the book you've been using.

If more people join and we end up doing a comparative thread because not everyone wants to use the same (Munster-based) resource, then maybe we can try an approach where we sort of split up into different mini-study groups and come up with different study plans, but come together and compare notes at regular intervals.

But I think we can cross that bridge when we come to it (if we ever do), and for now, what you're doing with Munster is fine and I'll just kinda follow along. :)

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-06-18, 21:35

księżycowy wrote:But we could do something like me and Salajane are doing in our Polish study group, and use different resources. I'd reluctantly agree to that, if we couldn't agree on a text to use together.

How would that work? Wouldn't everyone be doing different topics each week then? Essentially that's the same question as I have for the comparative thing.

And as I said, I'll just go along with whatever resource and variety you guys decide as long as it's not Manx. ;)

By the way, kevin, did you talk your self out of Hebrew?

Not yet, but I'm also not really following the Hebrew forum yet.

For Biblical, I have what appears to be a German translation of "Introduction to Biblical Hebrew" by Lambdin. For Modern, I have "Ivrit bekef", which is written in German originally, so probably none of you have the same.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-18, 21:44

kevin wrote:How would that work? Wouldn't everyone be doing different topics each week then? Essentially that's the same question as I have for the comparative thing.

Yeah, I mean, I am in favor of using the same resource myself. It makes more sense.

And as I said, I'll just go along with whatever resource and variety you guys decide as long as it's not Manx. ;)

In that case, might I recommend this?

For Biblical, I have what appears to be a German translation of "Introduction to Biblical Hebrew" by Lambdin. For Modern, I have "Ivrit bekef", which is written in German originally, so probably none of you have the same.

You're right that I don't have the Modern Hebrew textbook you have, but I do have a copy of Introduction to Biblical Hebrew by Lambdin!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-18, 21:47

I just noticed Vijay's response.

Are we all ok with boring old Teach Yourself Irish, then? Or not?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-18, 21:52

Indeed we are! For now. :para: I don't know if anyone else will join and be like NO!

In that case, might I recommend this?

:lol:

You're right that I don't have the Modern Hebrew textbook you have, but I do have a copy of Introduction to Biblical Hebrew by Lambdin!

Me three!

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-06-18, 21:55

księżycowy wrote:In that case, might I recommend this?

Ha, it worked! Now I don't have to do Munster! :lol:

Okay, whatever, let's give the boring thing a try. We can always switch later.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-18, 21:56

I promise that whenever I get serious about learning Irish, I will definitely not be using that book as my primary resource.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-06-18, 22:02

The primary resources for that are GnaG and teanglann.ie. Who needs textbooks for Irish?

Though I admit that going through GnaG section by section in a study group might be a bit dry...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-18, 22:08

Fine, pick something else from my list, Vijay.

You probably find Spoken Amoy Hokkien boring too, don't you?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-19, 0:17

ああ、もう!

I'll pick myself! Colloquial Irish!

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”