TAC 2018 - Antea (Finnish, Swedish)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2018 - Antea (Finnish, Swedish)

Postby aaakknu » 2018-01-20, 20:19

Antea wrote:Have you also studied Finnish? If you have any suggestion will be welcome :yep:

Sí, yo he estudiado el findandés un poco. Pero nunca tenía bastante tiempo para esta lengua, porque estoy ocupada con las otras lenguas que estudio. Pero, en mi caso, el finlandés no es tan dificil, porque cundo empecé a aprenderlo, ya hablaba estonio bastante bien, así que no tengo muchos problemas ni con la gramática, ni con el vocabulario. Algunas cosas dificiles sí hay en finlandés para mi, porque a pesar de que los dos lenguas son relacionadas, hay ciertas diferencias entre ellas. Pero para una persona que no sabe ninguna otra lengua uralica, creo que debe ser mucho más difícil, así que no te desanimes.
Creo, que empezar con el vocabulario (como tú haces) es una buena idea, pero cuando ya hayas aprendido las palabras básicas, no veo ninguna razon para no empezar con la gramática tambien. Creo, que es útil ver la gramática en contexto, para eso puedes leer textos fáciles. Yo uso los libros que comré, cuando estaba en Estonia, así no tengo muchos recomendaciones de recursos en internet, pero aquí te doy unos enlaces (quizás ya sabes de estos sitios, pero te los recomiendo, pienso que son útiles):
http://tasteoffinnish.fi/about-this-course/
http://www.uusikielemme.fi/es/index.html (en inglés y español)
http://thefinnishteacher.weebly.com
http://www.yle.fi (para leer y escuchar; este sitio también existe en sueco: http://svenska.yle.fi)
https://venla.info
Además de eso, no puedo ayudarte mucho, porque también soy una principiante en finlandés.
Pero espero que tu aprendizaje de finlandés vaya bién.
Mucha suerte! :)

P. S. Si hay errores en lo que he escrito, corrigelos, por favor (pero en un mensaje personal).
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-01-20, 21:00

Irusia wrote:
P. S. Si hay errores en lo que he escrito, corrigelos, por favor (pero en un mensaje personal).

¡Gracias! Ya te he contestado por mensaje privado.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-21, 3:25

Antea wrote:I will search them in internet.

I think it's more common nowadays to say "search for". For me, the phrase "I will search them" sounds slightly archaic, like something that people several decades or more would use, but over time the preposition "for" was added. It's also common to casually use "online". As for the preposition with "internet", I think I exclusively use "on": on the internet. I also mostly use "on" with social media, though I have heard and sometimes used "in". I don't recall though if I've heard "in" with "the internet"; perhaps other English native speakers can weigh in on this? (Note that from a correct grammar point of view, "the internet" is preferred because it's a specific thing. In fact, in news articles and the like, they would actually write "the Internet".)
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-21, 3:36

"I will search them" sounds like you're talking about inspecting people for weapons, drugs, or something like that, and yes, I would also say "on the Internet."

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-21, 3:46

vijayjohn wrote:"I will search them" sounds like you're talking about inspecting people for weapons, drugs, or something like that

By itself, yes. But I think if there was something that followed them, then I would assume the person meant "search for".
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-21, 18:38

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:"I will search them" sounds like you're talking about inspecting people for weapons, drugs, or something like that

By itself, yes. But I think if there was something that followed them, then I would assume the person meant "search for".

I mean, of course I understand what Antea meant, but my point is that I'm not sure there's any other reading under which "I will search them" is grammatical in English.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-21, 18:48

vijayjohn wrote:I mean, of course I understand what Antea meant, but my point is that I'm not sure there's any other reading under which "I will search them" is grammatical in English.

In modern English, yeah. But I wonder if "I will search them" instead of "I will search for them" was acceptable in past decades? I've noticed from reading literature that was written in the 30s that there are some phrasal verbs that use a preposition nowadays and didn't seem to back then. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-01-21, 18:49

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-01-21, 18:51

Not trying to prove anything, but I suppose I wanted to use it with the meaning of the first example.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-21, 18:53

Most of those quotes seem to come from the same two sources, though, and I'm not sure either of them was written by a native speaker of English. :hmm: "Search them room by room" sounds odd to me unless "them" means a set of rooms.
dEhiN wrote:In modern English, yeah. But I wonder if "I will search them" instead of "I will search for them" was acceptable in past decades? I've noticed from reading literature that was written in the 30s that there are some phrasal verbs that use a preposition nowadays and didn't seem to back then. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

I'm not sure about past decades, but it certainly was more common in past centuries.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-21, 19:34

vijayjohn wrote:Most of those quotes seem to come from the same two sources, though, and I'm not sure either of them was written by a native speaker of English. :hmm: "Search them room by room" sounds odd to me unless "them" means a set of rooms.

Yeah I agree; the only way that "search them room by room" makes sense to me is if them refers to something like houses or apartments: You take the houses on the north side of the street, and I'll take the ones on the south side. We'll just have to go through (or search) them room by room and hope we find what we're looking for.

dEhiN wrote:In modern English, yeah. But I wonder if "I will search them" instead of "I will search for them" was acceptable in past decades? I've noticed from reading literature that was written in the 30s that there are some phrasal verbs that use a preposition nowadays and didn't seem to back then. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

I'm not sure about past decades, but it certainly was more common in past centuries.

Ok cool; thanks for confirming that. I wasn't entirely sure; I was just going by analogy.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-01-21, 19:50

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I'm not sure about past decades, but it certainly was more common in past centuries.

Ok cool; thanks for confirming that. I wasn't entirely sure; I was just going by analogy.

Yes, I have already noticed many times that I tend to use a very archaic form of English, I really don’t know why. But I assure you, that despite my use of the language, I am not a mummy :P . Maybe it has something to do with the Jane Austen books I used to read when I was learning English :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-21, 21:01

Antea wrote:despite my use of the language, I am not a mummy :P .

:lol:

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-01-21, 21:13

Antea wrote:Yes, I have already noticed many times that I tend to use a very archaic form of English, I really don’t know why. But I assure you, that despite my use of the language, I am not a mummy :P . Maybe it has something to do with the Jane Austen books I used to read when I was learning English :hmm:

There are worse things than using English like Jane Austen. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-21, 22:09

There's nothing wrong with using an archaic form of English. As long as it's not too archaic, chances are you'll just sound formal or posh or refined. I tend to offer the colloquial form because I'm not always sure if you know the form you're using is formal or archaic.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-21, 22:11

It can sound odd to mix archaic forms with modern colloquial ones, though.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-21, 22:20

vijayjohn wrote:It can sound odd to mix archaic forms with modern colloquial ones, though.

That's true.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-01-27, 11:08

(fi) I have finished lesson 12 of Assimil. I am also listening to audio material in YouTube and trying to familiarise with the vocabulary and the pronunciation.

(sv) I am reviewing Assimil, but not listening to anything in particular.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-27, 21:36

Antea wrote:trying to familiarise myself with the vocabulary and the pronunciation

Familiarise is reflexive. Actually, I'm not sure if it always has to be reflexive, but right now I can't think of a case where it wouldn't be. If you want an intransitive verb, you could use "understand" or "learn" or the phrasal verbs "become/get used to" and "become/get accustomed to".

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-27, 21:39

Well, familiarize (in American spelling :P) is transitive, so it has to have a direct object, which in this case is myself. :)

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”