TAC January-June 2018 - Salajane

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: ''', Forum Administrators

Salajane
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2018 - Irusia (et, es, pt, tl, id)

Postby Salajane » 2018-02-17, 19:21

(id) I have almost finished the first chapter of the A1 textbook.

Here is the list of new words / Kata-kata baru:
bab - chapter
setelah - after
mempelajari - to study
materi - material
pada - to :?:
pemelajar - learner
diharapkan - to be expected
mampu - to be able

Setelah mempelajari materi pada unit, pemelar diharapkan mampu ...
After studying the material from the unit, a learner is expected to be able ... :?:

menyapa - to greet
berpamitan - to say goodbye
mengucapkan / ucapan - to say
meminta - to ask for
menanggapi - to respond, to reply
sapaan - greeting

persiapan - preparation
negara - country
ungkapan - expression
di bawah - below, under

Dari negara manakah ungkapan-ungkapan di bawah ini?
From which country are the expressions below?

menyimak - listening
berbicara - speaking
menulis - writing
kegiatan - activity

simaklah - listen (is it the imperative?)
percakapan - conversation
saling - each other
perhatikanlah - pay attention
kata - word
dicetak - to be printed
tebal - bold

Simaklah percakapan dua orang yang saling menyapa! Perhatikanlah kata-kata yang dicetak tebal!
Listen to the conversations of two people who greet each other. Pay attention to the words which are printed in bold.

harus - must, have to
segera - soon
tidak apa-apa - nothing
tinggal - to remain, to live (in a place)
kosakata - vocabulary
siang - afternoon
sore - evening
malam - night
maaf, permisi, mohon maaf - sorry (what's the difference?)
saya pamit - I say goodbye :?:
sampai jumpa - see you later

lengkapilah - complete
berikut - next, following

praktikkanlah - practice
di atas - above
bersama - together with
teman, sahabat - friend
kelas - class
contoh - example
di dekat - near, close
saja - only, just (Saya baik-baik saja - why is it used here?)
salam hormat - ? (beginning of a letter)
Natal - Christmas
Tahun Baru - New Year
semoga - I hope, I wish, hopefully :?:
sukses - success
bertemu - to meet
lagi - again
depan - ?
salam - ? (in the end of a letter)
alamat - adress
pos elektronik (pos-el) - email

jawablah - answer

salinlah - copy
digunakan - to be used
sesuai - appropriate
keterangan - information

Salinlah ungkapan-ungkapan yang digunakan Santi dalam pos-elnya sesuai dengan keterangan di bawah ini!
Copy the expressions which are used by Santi in his/her email ... :?:

menanyakan - to ask (a question)
pengirim - sender
tanggal - date
penerima - receiver
salam pembuka - ?
inti - ?
surat - letter
mengakhiri - to finish
salam penutup - ?
buatlah - to create, to make up
draf - draft
tabel - table
tulisan - writing
guru - teacher
kembali - again; back
berdasarkan - on the basis
masukan - ?

1. What does -kah mean?
2. Is -lah an imperative sufix?
3. What is the difference between di and dalam?
4. Are these names male or female: Santi, Beni, Harnita, Mandra, Lukas (I guess this one is male), Panji, Ahmad (I guess this one is male too), Sari, Hainun, Dimas, Sarah (this one must be female), Lia (also female), Andini, Hikmat, Wawan?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2018
Sign up for the Broken Translation Game 2018 and Oral Broken Translation Game 2 and Conlang Broken Translation Game 3 and FUBAR Game 2018

atalarikt
Language Forum Moderator

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-18, 1:32

Irusia wrote:pada - to :?:
Setelah mempelajari materi pada unit, pemelajar diharapkan mampu ...
After studying the material from the unit, a learner is expected to be able ... :?:

"Pemelajar" is a very formal word that I haven't heard of before. The most common forms would be "siswa" or "murid". Either way, it's nice to know more about my mother language! Also, the translations, both the "pada" word and the sentence are exactly correct.

Irusia wrote:simaklah - listen (is it the imperative?)
lengkapilah - complete
praktikkanlah - practice
jawablah - answer
salinlah - copy

2. Is -lah an imperative sufix?

Indeed it is. Every verb with the "-lah" suffix in Indonesian always turns into imperative.

Irusia wrote:maaf, permisi, mohon maaf - sorry, excuse me (what's the difference?)
saya pamit - I say goodbye :?:

"Maaf", "permisi" and "mohon maaf" are similar in this context. It's just a matter of which word you prefer more.
"Saya pamit" can also be translated to "I leave" in a polite context.

Irusia wrote:saja - only, just (Saya baik-baik saja - why is it used here?)
salam hormat - ? (beginning of a letter)

"Saja" functions as an intensifier in this context (i.e. "I'm exactly fine"). As for "salam hormat", it means "respectful greetings", usually delivered towards older people.

Irusia wrote:semoga - I hope, I wish, hopefully :?:

Correct! Those are exactly what it means.

Irusia wrote:depan - ?
salam - ? (in the end of a letter)

"Depan" usually means "in front of", while "salam" acts like "regards" when put in the end of a letter.

Irusia wrote:sesuai - appropriate, according to
Salinlah ungkapan-ungkapan yang digunakan Santi dalam pos-elnya sesuai dengan keterangan di bawah ini!
Copy the expressions used by Santi in her email according to the information below!

Fixed those for you. :wink:

Irusia wrote:salam pembuka - *see explanation after quote*
inti - core
surat - letter
mengakhiri - to finish
salam penutup - *see explanation after quote*
berdasarkan - on the basis, based on
masukan - input, suggestion

In Islam, it is a custom to deliver salam before and after talking (i.e. Assalamu'alaikum & wassalamu'alaikum). "Salam pembuka" and "salam penutup" are the "secularized" forms of respective words.

Irusia wrote:1. What does -kah mean?

It indicates that the said sentences are questions. It is used in words such as "apa", "di mana", "siapa", etc., even some nouns.

Irusia wrote:3. What is the difference between di and dalam?

"Di" can mean "inside/in", but also "at" and "on" (depending on the context). You can also use "di dalam" to say "inside/in".

Irusia wrote:4. Are these names male or female: Santi, Beni, Harnita, Mandra, Lukas (I guess this one is male), Panji, Ahmad (I guess this one is male too), Sari, Hainun, Dimas, Sarah (this one must be female), Lia (also female), Andini, Hikmat, Wawan?

Male names: Beni, Mandra, Lukas, Panji, Ahmad, Dimas, Hikmat, Wawan
Female names: Santi, Harnita, Sari, Hainun, Sarah, Lia, Andini
Last edited by atalarikt on 2018-02-24, 9:41, edited 1 time in total.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

Salajane
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Salajane » 2018-02-18, 13:01

Terima kasih banyak, Atalarikt!
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2018
Sign up for the Broken Translation Game 2018 and Oral Broken Translation Game 2 and Conlang Broken Translation Game 3 and FUBAR Game 2018

Salajane
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Salajane » 2018-02-18, 20:41

Plans for the next week:
(id) Finish 4 more chapters of the textbook.
(es) Read 5 short stories.
(et) Revise the vocabulary learned during the previous semester + learn 300 new words.
TAC 2018

Salajane
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Salajane » 2018-02-20, 19:27

(et) I had my first Estonian class after the holidays today. I realized that I'd forgot a lot and need to revise many things. I was contantly searching for words when I tried to express my thoughts. :oops: But I hope I will recall everything quickly.
TAC 2018

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-02-22, 17:03

Irusia wrote:(et) I had my first Estonian class after the holidays today. I realized that I'd forgot a lot and need to revise many things. I was contantly searching for words when I tried to express my thoughts. :oops: But I hope I will recall everything quickly.

What kind of Estonian course are you taking? What materials do they use? Tbh I did not realize you were taking a course right now, that's cool. How often do you have this course? Ma kadestan sind. :D

Salajane
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Salajane » 2018-02-23, 17:07

Linguaphile wrote:What kind of Estonian course are you taking? What materials do they use? Tbh I did not realize you were taking a course right now, that's cool. How often do you have this course? Ma kadestan sind. :D

I am taking an Estonian course in my university. During the three years I've been taking the course we've used various materials. At the moment, we're using "K nagu Kihnu" (AFAIK, it hasn't been published yet) and we also practice speaking using various games. Last semester, we had 3 classes a week (2 language classes + 1 literature class), but, as I understand, now we're going to have only 2 classes a week.
TAC 2018

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-02-24, 0:00

Irusia wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:What kind of Estonian course are you taking? What materials do they use? Tbh I did not realize you were taking a course right now, that's cool. How often do you have this course? Ma kadestan sind. :D

I am taking an Estonian course in my university. During the three years I've been taking the course we've used various materials. At the moment, we're using "K nagu Kihnu" (AFAIK, it hasn't been published yet) and we also practice speaking using various games. Last semester, we had 3 classes a week (2 language classes + 1 literature class), but, as I understand, now we're going to have only 2 classes a week.

Yeah, I am sooo jealous. First of all because there are no opportunities to take a course like that in a normal classroom setting here, secondly because you've somehow managed to be using a book that isn't even available yet.... LOL. Is it the same author as E nagu Eesti and T nagu Tallinn? If so do you know how it fits into the series (is it the second level after E nagu Eesti or the third level after T nagu Tallinn or are there others? Not that it matters much because I doubt it will be available here even after it's been published... the only one in the series that is (relatively) easy to find here is E nagu Eesti.

dEhiN
Forum Administrator

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-24, 6:20

Is the series basically using the pattern <Letter> nagu <Word_starting_with_letter>?
My TAC for 2019.

(en-ca) (ta-lk) (fr) (es) (en_old)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-02-24, 7:46

dEhiN wrote:Is the series basically using the pattern <Letter> nagu <Word_starting_with_letter>?

They are language texts, and yes that is the pattern. But they aren't sequenced in alphabetical order and there are only three or four of them. The first one is an A1 text E nagu Eesti (E as in Estonia) and there's also T as in Tallinn and L as in Lugemik. I'm guessing that K as in Kihnu is the latest one and wondering about what level it is because the others are quite good but level-wise there seems to be a bit of a jump from one book to the next. So I'm wondering whether they're adding a more advanced one or filling in a "gap" between existing texts (or just additional practice). Anyway they are monolingual texts published in Estonia so they are difficult to find here.

Salajane
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Salajane » 2018-02-24, 9:50

Yes K nagu Kihnu is between E nagu Eesti and T nagu Tallinn. It is written "Eesti keele õpik kesktasemele B1 (2) + B2" on the cover.
TAC 2018

Salajane
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Salajane » 2018-03-01, 8:47

(id) I finnished the Duolingo course several days ago.

(tl) In total, I have learned 1062 new words on Memrise, although the real number is lower, because different aspects/focuses of a verb are counted as different words.

The new semester has started and today I'll have the first Spanish class after the vacations.
TAC 2018

Salajane
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Salajane » 2018-03-11, 19:50

(hr) Croatian is now a part of my TAC.
TAC 2018

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-11, 21:10

What made you decide to make it part of your TAC? :P

Salajane
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Salajane » 2018-03-11, 22:06

Irusia wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:What made you start doing Croatian, Irusia? :)

I am not actually learning it, rather dabbling. Last semester I was going to apply for Erasmus in Croatia, but missed the deadline. In spite of this, I decided that will learn some Croatian anyway.

I have another chance to apply for Erasmus in Croatia, although I am not sure if I will do that, because I need to find out whether that university is suitable for me, taking into account my major, and whether I will be able to take suitable courses there.
TAC 2018

dEhiN
Forum Administrator

Postby dEhiN » 2018-03-12, 5:55

Isn't your major linguistics?
My TAC for 2019.

Salajane
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Salajane » 2018-03-12, 8:30

dEhiN wrote:Isn't your major linguistics?

Unfortunately no. Linguistics major isn't available in my university. My major is translation/interpreting.
TAC 2018

dEhiN
Forum Administrator

Postby dEhiN » 2018-03-12, 17:06

Irusia wrote:

Unfortunately no. Linguistics major isn't available in my university. My major is translation/interpreting.

Oh cool! Do you have to pick a specific language pair for that? I don't know of any university or college here that offers a single program for both. I've seen diplomas for interpretation and diplomas/degrees for translation.
My TAC for 2019.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-18, 17:13

atalarikt wrote:I've checked out the Uralic café thread, but not the Afroasiatic one. May I see it?

Sorry, I don't think I ever noticed this! It's here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51809.

Salajane
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Salajane » 2018-04-24, 10:31

dEhiN wrote:
Irusia wrote:

Oh cool! Do you have to pick a specific language pair for that?

Yes. My major is English-Ukrainian translation. Last semester I chose interpreting, but now I have practise of interpreting and translation combined as a single subject.
I have Spanish as the second foreign language, but I do not have classes of Spanish-Ukrainian translation. Maybe I'll have them next year.
Sorry for not answering earlier.
TAC 2018

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”