TAC 2017-2018 Iván

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Iván
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2017-2018 Iván

Postby Iván » 2018-08-19, 17:54

(fi)
Current level: B1.2-perhaps B2...I'm not sure. Definitely should review some grammar topics.

I want to start gaining more vocabulary in Finnish as I sometimes feel like I always end up using the same words. I know that on a daily basis there are words that we always use, but I would like to broaden my vocabulary so that I know how to say the same things in a different way. I usually have no trouble understanding what people say, especially when I watch videos or documentaries. I know that most documentaries, however, are conducted in kirjakieli, thus they are easier to understand.

I started watching some videos and trying to write down the words I don't understand so that I can look them up. Sometimes I just decipher them out of context, but I want to "force" myself to learn them. I've just finished watching this nice interview made to the Finnish translator of Harry Potter:

https://www.studio55.fi/tastapuhutaan/a ... uun/128354

(de)

I listen to podcasts every day and I'm currently reading Lauras letzte Party, a German translation of a Finnish thriller. I'm not reading it in Finnish because I bought the book when I was in Cologne. Before going to sleep I usually watch one documentary in German.

(nl)

So far I mostly write in Dutch with two friends that I've met in Antwerp, but I will soon start speaking it as well - I don't care if they prefer to speak English. I also try to listen to some podcasts, but I must admit that I find the ones in German more interesting.

Ever since I've moved to Antwerp, I've been focusing upon languages and I'm really enjoying this.
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”