TAC 2017-2018 Luís

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Luís
Forum Administrator
Re: TAC 2017-2018 Luís

Postby Luís » 2018-01-02, 9:08

dEhiN wrote:That's why I like Anki; it forces me or ensures that I at least do some language learning. I've now increased the number of new cards to 25/day, so I spend about 30 minutes every day going through Anki.

Yeah, I always go through my Anki decks as well. I can't even remember the last time I skipped a day.

Btw, I have Anki set up as dEhiN (isn't that the default behavior anyway?)

księżycowy wrote:So, how do you not get 500 cards daily for review? :P

By not adding too many new cards in a single day ;) If you control new cards and/or spread them out and you get at least 90% of your reviews right, the number of cards you see should be constant or decrease, not increase.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-02, 10:00

I just set my review cards to 500, and I have 500 reviews for my Irish and Japanese decks.

I have some catching up to do. :P

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-02, 10:52

Just reset the whole thing and start over :twisted:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-02, 11:09

It probably wouldn't matter much either way. :P

Considering all the reviews (and there maybe more for that matter!), it's not a bad option.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-02, 21:21

Luís wrote:Btw, I have Anki set up as dEhiN (isn't that the default behavior anyway?)

I would say "set up like" or "set up the same as". For me at least, this is one situation where "like" and "as" convey two different meanings. It took me a few seconds to understand what you meant because "set up as X", for me, means that X is a particular option or configuration. But maybe that's just my idiolect/dialect.

Luís wrote:By not adding too many new cards in a single day ;) If you control new cards and/or spread them out and you get at least 90% of your reviews right, the number of cards you see should be constant or decrease, not increase.

And I've found that even if you do end up doing many new cards in a single day (which, for example, I've done when taking a language course since there are time constraints), over time it works out because you might select Hard or Easy for some of them, especially as the review intervals increase. You also will probably end up forgetting a few, and hitting Again. Even a 90% success rate means that you'll forget 10% of them.

księżycowy wrote:I just set my review cards to 500, and I have 500 reviews for my Irish and Japanese decks.

How many cards do you have in your decks in total?! And do you mean that every day you have 500 reviews for Irish and 500 reviews for Japanese?! If you wanted to bring that number down, one option, like Luís said, is to reset the deck(s) and start over. Another option is to split them into smaller decks, like Michael and I do. You could also limit your review count, and then for a period of two weeks, don't do any new cards. That should space out your review intervals a bit more. You could also be a bit more aggressive in your response selection. If I recall correctly, Luís mentioned how if he doesn't remember a card in like 3 seconds or something, he considers it forgotten and hits Again. I have some cards with multiple English meanings, and for those cards, if I remember one or some of the meanings but not all, I'll hit Hard.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-03, 0:20

I'm not sure how many I have, but obviously quite a few. :P i think for Biblical Hebrew I have something like 250 cards. But then again, i only have that deck going one way (Hebrew -> English). Part of what makes my other decks a bit larger is the fact that I swing both ways. (I thought you might appreciate my wording there, dEhiN :wink: )

Whatever the case, I decided to reset everything. EVERYTHING. Decks, options, everything. We'll see how it goes moving forward.

Oh, and I was curious what you meant by splitting you decks up so I was going to ask about that until I remembered you posted pics.

I kinda like my current set up. I'm not sure I could be bothered to be that meticulous. I'd rather throw all my Irish words (for example) in one pot. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-03, 4:17

księżycowy wrote:Part of what makes my other decks a bit larger is the fact that I swing both ways. (I thought you might appreciate my wording there, dEhiN :wink: )

There's that phrasing again...now I'm not so sure if you're teasing me or what...but just so you know, my heart is very fragile and I don't think I could take someone toying with it. :D

księżycowy wrote:Oh, and I was curious what you meant by splitting you decks up so I was going to ask about that until I remembered you posted pics.

I kinda like my current set up. I'm not sure I could be bothered to be that meticulous. I'd rather throw all my Irish words (for example) in one pot. :P

According to the Anki manual, your set up is actually the recommended way. They basically mention that instead of splitting up stuff into a whole bunch of smaller decks (based on source material, etc.), it's better to do one deck and use tags to indicate miscellaneous info. (Or use other fields). Their rationale is that if notes are split into small decks, then your brain will learn stuff in a logical order (especially if you always cycle through your decks in the same order), but then when it encounters the stuff in real life, there may not be time to cycle through mentally. However, I disagree and in fact have found the opposite. By keeping things attached to extemporaneous info, I'm able to better recall stuff when I see it in usage. When I used to have a single massive deck (for all the vocab in a given language) and I would encounter a word that I hadn't seen that often in actual usage, I would quickly forget the meaning because there was no association to the word. There were no other memories attached to the brain cell holding that information. By splitting stuff into smaller decks based on source material, there are more neuron connections made that enable me to remember stuff better.

(Ok, rant over; I really should just send what I wrote to the people who did the Anki manual, and tell them to go shove their recommendation!)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-03, 9:04

I'm still sticking with one massive deck, but I see your point. To each their own I suppose, as I've always used single decks and I usually never have any issue remembering vocab. And if I do, it usually comes down to other factors.

(Ok, rant over; I really should just send what I wrote to the people who did the Anki manual, and tell them to go shove their recommendation!)

Do it! :twisted:

In the end, recommendations are just that, recommendations. It's up to the individual user to see what words for them. :)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-03, 20:11

I usually also put everything in the same deck. Frankly, I don't really care where I first came across the word.

On a different note... triliteral roots are so much fun! :<3:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-07, 21:50

Update

(fr)

Le français parlé (page 80/240)

+ 2 episodes of Pékin Express

(es)
Gramática práctica del español II (Unit 26/52)

(he)
Assimil Hebrew (Lesson 38/85)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-08, 4:05

J'ai regardé récemment une série sur Netflix appelé La Mante. C'était très intéressante et intriguant ! Je pense que tu peux l'aimer.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-14, 19:36

Update

(fr)

Le français parlé (page 116/240)

+ 1 episode of Pékin Express

(es)
Gramática práctica del español II (Unit 33/52)

(he)
Assimil Hebrew (Lesson 41/85)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-15, 10:13

I forgot to say I've been using Routledge's Modern Hebrew: An Essential Grammar as a complement. It's particularly useful when it comes to verb conjugation (Assimil doesn't really explain verbs in the most straighforward way, at least up until now)

dEhiN wrote:J'ai regardé récemment une série sur Netflix appelé La Mante. C'était très intéressante et intriguant ! Je pense que tu peux l'aimer.

Merci. Je vais y jeter un coup d'oeil.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-21, 19:53

Update

(fr)

Le français parlé (page 152/240)

(es)
Gramática práctica del español II (Unit 40/52)

(he)
Assimil Hebrew (Lesson 44/85)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-28, 14:27

Update

(fr)

Le français parlé (page 184/240)

(es)
Gramática práctica del español II (Unit 45/52)

(he)
Assimil Hebrew (Lesson 46/85)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-04, 12:21

Update

(fr)

Le français parlé (page 216/240)
+ 1 episode of Pékin Express (I finished watching season 7 :bounce: )

(es)
I finished Gramática práctica del español II :bounce:
Next I'll start reading Civilización española.

(he)
Assimil Hebrew (Lesson 50/85)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-11, 20:57

Update

(fr)
I finished Le français parlé :bounce:
Next I'll start with Grammaire progressive du français - niveau avancé

+ 2 episodes of Fais pas ci, fais pas ça

(es)
Civilización española (page 49/494)

(he)
Assimil Hebrew (Lesson 52/85)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-18, 18:26

It's been a slow week... :|

Update

(fr)
Grammaire progressive du français - niveau avancé (page 17/169)

+ 2 episodes of Fais pas ci, fais pas ça

(es)
Civilización española (page 81/494)

(he)
Assimil Hebrew (Lesson 54/85)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-24, 13:37

The inflection of מ mi seems to be highly irregular

1st person singular: ממני mimeni
2nd person singular masculine: ממך mimkha
2nd person singular feminine: ממך mimekh
3rd person singular masculine: ממנו mimenu
3rd person singular feminine: ממנה mimena
1st person plural: מאיתנו meitanu
2nd person plural masculine: מכם mikem
2nd person plural feminine:מכן miken
3rd person plural masculine: מהם mehem
3rd person plural feminine: מהן mehen

The 1st person plural form should normally be ממנו mimenu, but a different stem is used here in order to differentiate it from the 3rd person singular form. Colloquially, though, it seems Israelis use ממנו mimenu and ממנו mimeno, respectively. They also tend to use ממכם mimkhem and ממכן mimkhen instead of the official 2nd person plural forms.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-25, 11:08

Me haces querer aprender hebreo e yiddish. :)

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”