TAC 2017-2018 Luís

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator
Re: TAC 2017-2018 Luís

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-12-19, 20:22

vijayjohn wrote:I should open a Dutch restaurant!

Why even bother with a restaurant? All you need is this.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-19, 20:37

OMG YES THAT IS PERFECT!!! :burning: And then I would never be unemployed again. :lol:
Luís wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I should open a Dutch restaurant!

Think about it! A Dutch restaurant...in Texas??

I'm sure there are already places in Texas that sell bread and potatoes... :twisted:

Bread and...what?!? That's too much work for Dutch food!!
Car wrote:Interestingly enough, a great deal of Italian restaurants here are also owned by Indians. I wonder how that came about.

Why, the same way this did, of course!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgoLjFJ0rVg

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-12-22, 11:18

It's Christmas, so in the next few days I'll be too busy stuffing myself. That means no language related activities until Tuesday (except for my daily Anki reviews)
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-12-31, 10:54

The holidays are terrible for language learning... :? I won't be doing much this weekend either. I hope everything goes back to normal next week.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-31, 12:24

Luís wrote:The holidays are terrible for language learning... :? I won't be doing much this weekend either. I hope everything goes back to normal next week.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-12-31, 15:20

księżycowy wrote:
Luís wrote:The holidays are terrible for language learning... :? I won't be doing much this weekend either. I hope everything goes back to normal next week.

That's why I like Anki; it forces me or ensures that I at least do some language learning. I've now increased the number of new cards to 25/day, so I spend about 30 minutes every day going through Anki.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-31, 15:24

I can get lazy with Anki too though.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-31, 16:38

księżycowy wrote:

HEHehehehehhh. :twisted:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-31, 16:47

Our suffering amuses you, and yet you wonder why I want to get rid of you........ :n:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-31, 16:48

Which is why I no longer wonder!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-12-31, 18:11

księżycowy wrote:I can get lazy with Anki too though.

I try not to. A few years ago, whenever I was in a depression period, I would frequently miss a day and then play catch-up the next day. But nowadays I aim for 25 new cards a day, and so am averaging 150-180 cards/day (review + learning + new). (This is only as of this past week though; before that, for the past 2 months or so, I was averaging about 100-120 cards/day). So if I were to let my laziness get to me, then I would have about double that the next day! I think in the past 2-3 months, I've only missed doing Anki once.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-31, 18:25

How do you end up doing double the next day, if you miss a day? I mean the way I have Anki set up, it just has the same amount of cards per day regardless of whether I did the ones from yesterday or not.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-12-31, 18:40

księżycowy wrote:How do you end up doing double the next day, if you miss a day? I mean the way I have Anki set up, it just has the same amount of cards per day regardless of whether I did the ones from yesterday or not.

How do you have it set up that way? So I guess it's not exactly double, but let's say I'm doing 10 new cards a day, and today I have 15 reviews. That would be 25 cards. If I skip today, and let's say I have 10 reviews tomorrow, then tomorrow I'll end up having to do 35 cards.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-31, 19:51

Idk, but I'm curious how you have it set up like that. Might give me some incentive to do it more regularly. I usually do it a few times a week, but I'm not the most consistent.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-01, 6:30

I'm pretty sure that's default behaviour on Anki: if you don't do the reviews for one day, they automatically get shown the next day plus the reviews scheduled for that day. The only setting I can think of that would change that is the Maximum reviews/day setting under the Reviews tab when you click on Options for a deck. But in any case, I took screenshots of my setup.

Here is the New Cards tab:
Anki - New Cards.jpg
Here is the Reviews tab:
Anki - Reviews.jpg
Here is the Lapses tab:
Anki - Lapses.jpg
Here is the General tab (even though I didn't change anything in this tab from the defaults):
Anki - General.jpg

You'll notice that my Options Group is called Languages Group 0. Basically what I have done is duplicated the same Options Group and just changed the amount of new cards per day. So LG0 is when a deck has new cards in it, but I don't want to review them (just yet or that day). LG1 to learn one new card per day, LG2 for two new cards per day, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-01, 10:44

So, how do you not get 500 cards daily for review? :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-01, 18:08

księżycowy wrote:So, how do you not get 500 cards daily for review? :P

Probably because I've usually done a max of 5 new cards a day in any given deck. Sometimes I've upped it to 10 for one of my French, Portuguese, or Spanish decks. And I think when I was doing my French course, depending on when I got around to adding in the previous week's vocab and when the next class/quiz/test was, I would sometimes learn 20 new cards per day. But I basically end up having less than 100, and almost always less than 50, reviews per deck. I took a few more screenshots of my decks and stuff for today, to give you an idea.

Overall for today:
Anki 1.jpg
Expanded view:
Anki 2.jpg
Anki 3.jpg

As you can see, I have a lot of decks (which apparently isn't the recommended way to do it, but whatever :D). I group the decks based on language, and then have a sub deck for each resource I'm using or have used. I also have a self-study sub deck for all the stuff I've learned randomly and not from using a particular resource.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-01, 18:19

dEhiN wrote:As you can see, I have a lot of decks (which apparently isn't the recommended way to do it, but whatever :D). I group the decks based on language

That's basically what I do except without the Anki part. :P :whistle:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-01, 18:47

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:As you can see, I have a lot of decks (which apparently isn't the recommended way to do it, but whatever :D). I group the decks based on language

So you create physical decks (of flashcards)? :hmm: :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-01, 19:11

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

So you create physical decks (of flashcards)? :hmm: :P

Well, something close! Just not physical decks and not flashcards, but a list that's kind of like that. :yep:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”