TAC 2017 Osias Netflix, Twitter, etc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Osias
TAC 2017 Osias Netflix, Twitter, etc

Postby Osias » 2017-10-15, 20:48

I think it's time to me to add my own thread about this.

(fr)I'm seeing Star Trek Discovery, the new series with my wife at Mondays, when the new episode is out. Later, during the week, I re-watch them in French with French subtitles. I skip the Klingon scenes, because they have no French dubbing and because being very boring. The series is very very very good, ignore what old school trekkers are saying about not being "real star trek".

Sometimes I type "trek avec" on Twitter search and read some Francophone fans comments.

Yesterday I started to see "Mindhunter" also with French audio, but with English subtitles. I tried with French subtitles but 1) the text is not the same as the audio 2) I stumble with unknown words and have to stop the series, type them on a dictionary, my android virtual keyboard annoys me, the whole thing slows down and kills the pleasure of watching a good series.

(de)Months ago I watch some Star Trek episodes in German with English subtitles, mostly DS9. I was enjoying but can't say I was learning very much.

(ja)I finish the second season of Sidonia no Kishi also with English subtitles. Can't say I learned any words I didn't already knew from other anime. I wish Netflix had romaji subtitles.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

הענט

Re: TAC 2017 Osias Netflix, Twitter, etc

Postby הענט » 2017-10-16, 8:02

Hi Osias. I remember using Netflix on my iPhone (before I sold it). I loved the fact that there were multiple language choices for movies. Watching Top Gun in Mandarin is sub zero cool. :)

Plus I could watch movies and shows in American Spanish and Portuguese unlike here in Europe where you only get their continental counterparts.

Although I only managed to watch American History X and the first two seasons of Hannibal with Mads Mikkelsen. In some ways he's more suitable for the role than Anthony Hopkins himself.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-10-16, 10:12

Mandarin options for subtitles or dub never appear to me, where were you?
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-10-18, 11:57

Osias wrote:Mandarin options for subtitles or dub never appear to me, where were you?

Iphone Netflix App. But it was more than a year ago. Every movie had different sets of dubs and subs. Just like the DVD's I buy.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-10-18, 13:54

I mean what country.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-18, 15:22

The Czech Republic, I presume.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-10-18, 20:14

That was my thought, but why did Czechs did to deserved it that we don't?

(thinks a little)

Ok, come to think about, it's more probable Brazilians are the ones that did something to deserve not to have more languages on Netflix.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-10-19, 8:35

Like winning a world cup? :)

Btw. I have recently bought a PS3 to use it as a blu-ray player, because those discs offer more languages than DVDs.

Yesterday I came across Garfield 2 dubbed in both Flemish and Dutch and also French and Quebec French. I'm so happy about it.

The movie Turbo is dubbed in Catalan (first movie I have in Català) and also Southern Vietnamese. This literally blew my mind. I never knew the southern dialect was also used as means to dub a movie.

Now I buy movies based on how many dubs/subs they have. For example the only reason I bought the new hitman movie was because it was subbed in Tamil and Telugu. Despite not being able to read the scripts. :)

Back on topic. I wouldn't know about Netflix, but the DVD's most common languages are Czech, English (or a different language of the country of origin) and Hungarian.

Polish (VO), Turkish, Russian and Slovak come close and now I've noticed quite a few movies dubbed in Hindi and Thai. I wonder why.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-10-19, 10:43

Well, as I still got plenty of French and German versions of movies and series on Netflix to watch and intend to focus on them in the near future, I won't be spending money, but it's interesting to know.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-10-21, 12:15

(ja)I have a hard time watching anime because my wife complains all the time about the voices in Japanese. Yesterday, however, she watched with me this documentary about teen singers in Japan and her creepy old male fans:

https://www.netflix.com/br/title/80163353

She said the Japanese language didn't bother her this time, maybe because her real problem is with dubbing, maybe is because she loves documentaries.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-11-03, 10:44

(en-us)Watching Stranger Things season 2 with my wife, so it has to be in plain boring English with even more boring Brazilian Portuguese subtitles. Maybe I'll rewatch it later in French, but there's still lots of Trek episodes I could binge...

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-11-05, 0:22

(fr)French subtitles for Star Trek Discovery appeared mysteriously.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-11-16, 12:38

(no)My wife saw the pilot for the series Nobel, about the participation/involvement of Norway in the Afghanistan war. I watched with her, then I watched it again with Norwegian subtitles. I have no idea if that is Bokmål or not.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”