TAC 2018 - הענט

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

הענט
Re: TAC 2017 Dr. House - Türkçe

Postby הענט » 2017-08-29, 18:58

I read the first two suras and my attention got swayed away by Arabic. Maybe later MSA. :)

Benim adım Simon ( ismim Simon). Yirmi-altı yaşındayım. Ústí nad Labem'de doğdum.Türkçe çok ağir.

Is that right? Not sure if heavy and difficult are synonyms in Turkish (they are in Czech).

Daily word: (tr) gemi - ship

I deleted the JW app. The word Yehova is irksome.

Btw. I know the vowel harmony works like this Arapça, Farsça, Türkçe, Çekçe. But why Bulgarca?

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-29, 19:34

Dr. House wrote:Türkçe çok ağir.
Is that right? Not sure if heavy and difficult are synonyms in Turkish (they are in Czech).

They are synonyms, but I think it would be more idiomatic to say "Türkçe çok zor". We should see what voron or other Turkish speakers have to say, though.

I know the vowel harmony works like this Arapça, Farsça, Türkçe, Çekçe. But why Bulgarca?

Why not? a ı o u harmonize together (ex. Araa, Fransızca, Estonca, Rua). Bulgar has vowel harmony (u followed by a) so the suffix follows that harmony. If you mean why is it Bulgarca and not *Bulgarça, that's not a question of vowel harmony but rather consonant harmony. This suffix is -ca/-ce when following a vowel or voiced consonants (b, c, d, g, ğ, j, l, m, n, r, v, y, z) and -ça/-çe when following unvoiced consonants (p, ç, t, k, f, h, s, ş).
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-29, 19:43

eskandar wrote:
Dr. House wrote:Türkçe çok ağir.

They are synonyms, but I think it would be more idiomatic to say "Türkçe çok zor".

I would also use zor. I think 26 is supposed to be written without a hyphen, too, so yirmialtı.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-08-30, 0:10

Dr. House wrote:I read the first two suras and my attention got swayed away by Arabic.

Did you read the whole al-Baqara in Arabic? :o

Yes, it should be zor, not ağır.
Also, 26 is spelt "yirmi altı".

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-08-30, 8:16

voron wrote:
Dr. House wrote:I read the first two suras and my attention got swayed away by Arabic.

Did you read the whole al-Baqara in Arabic? :o

Yes, it should be zor, not ağır.
Also, 26 is spelt "yirmi altı".

No way. I read the Czech translation by Hrbek and only listened to the spoken form. My Arabic reading is a lot of guesswork. There are these Luminy (something like Tang) powder drinks and I can read all the flavors, but anything longer is a hit or miss only. Sometimes the long i isn't i, but j and that deviates the pronunciation furthermore. But the vowel marks don't look good. What is mind-blowing to me is how were they able to read the dotless script. :D

About the hyphen. I guess it's an English peculiarity e.g. twenty-six.

Eskandar: Yeah I meant the consonant harmony. Now I sort of understand - Kürtçe, Danca, Çince...

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-09-04, 2:48

I had a couple of AHA moments again. Ay meaning moon. I know this one, because I used the moon god Ay Dede in one of my short stories about a Tuvan boy rebelling against Russian oppressors in Tsar Wars.

Yesterday I saw : O düşünüyor - he/she thinks
And it clicked suddenly, because some time ago I learned the phrase : Yapabilecegimi düşünüyorum - I think I could do that.

And sandalye reminds me of sandals, rather than chairs, but I'll take it. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-04, 2:58

Dr. House wrote:Yapabilecegğimi

And sandalye reminds me of sandals, rather than chairs, but I'll take it. :)

Me, too. It's cognate with "sandal(wood)" (apparently, in Czech, this is called santal). Sandalwood, if you didn't already know, is a type of wood that is known for its sweet smell and is grown in South Asia and some of the Pacific islands. It's used for making furniture sometimes.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-09-04, 17:05

Thanks Vijay. I know santalové dřevo, but I didn't know the English word. I wish I could hit the lotto and study comparative linguistics.

Today I saw işte mean here is ( like voilà or douzo) and at work. I was confused, but then I realized work was iş and te was the same thing as evde or yatakta with vowel and consonant harmonies applied. ( just like Hungarian -ben)

And yüz means both one hundred and face.

Muhteşem Yüzyıl - Velkolepé století

Turkish is more difficult, but also more fun. :)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-09-04, 17:38

Dr. House wrote:And yüz means both one hundred and face.

And the imperative of the verb yüzmek. :)
Yüz! - Swim!

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-09-25, 11:42

Ojalá el año que venga. Fuí a jugar de nuevo y perdí 15.000 coronas y mi smartphone. Tengo problemas con alcohol y necesito a curar mi "alma" y no beber más. Voy a leer libros y tratar de escribir algo. Además voy a aprender idiomas, pero este tac 2017 no voy a alcanzarlo.

Hošçakalīn.

הענט

Re: TAC 2018 - HENT

Postby הענט » 2018-02-01, 13:12

(ar) (ar-LB) (ar-EG) So far I know bits of MSA and Syrian, but I want to learn Lebanese Arabic instead. Unfortunately I don't have any resources on Lebanese apart from a book by Maksoud Feghali so I'll stick to Egyptian for a while.

(de) I work in a German company and I get to meet people from Germany and Japan so I want to brush up on my German and take it up another notch.
(fr) Mon amour.
(hy) I know a few sentences in Western Armenian, but I decided to learn Eastern Armenian from scratch.

(sv) Jag skulle vilja lära fler.
(no-nn) ditto
(no) ditto
(da) di(ugh)do
(is) ditto

Bonus
Regional languages.

(cy) I'm not scared of you, mutations!!
(ca) BARCELONA!!! By Queen

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-05, 10:21

(ca) El meu nom és Simon. Tinc vint-i-set anys. Sóc vell. No tinc cotxe. No en tinc. (No ho tinc?)

Should I go with the "Je n'en ai pas" or the "No lo tengo" structure here?

Comparison table;

(sv) Vad gör han?
(no) Hva gjør han?
(no-nn) Kva gjer han?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-05, 12:39

Hent wrote:Unfortunately I don't have any resources on Lebanese apart from a book by Maksoud Feghali so I'll stick to Egyptian for a while.

How about these books
https://www.amazon.de/Colloquial-Arabic ... 0415726859
https://www.amazon.de/Colloquial-Arabic ... 041505107X
https://www.amazon.com/Shou-Intermediat ... 0300153910

They can be found online (the last one -- people say it can be found but I couldn't).

And honestly, what else do you need? You have a textbook, a grammar book (for example you can use the Grammar of Beirutian language by Alexander Hourani -- google for it), and then you can jump directly into native materials, and learning materials from DLIFLC, langmedia and lingualism. The grammar and syntax of Arabic dialects are pretty straightforward.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-02-05, 13:04

Hent wrote:(ca) El meu nom és Simon. Tinc vint-i-set anys. Sóc vell. No tinc cotxe. No en tinc. (No ho tinc?)

No en tinc (cap). I no ets pas vell :nope:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-10, 6:47

I honestly thought it was supposed to be spelled éts. :para:

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-10, 14:38

I'm going to learn all the languages on my list and I'm going to put these on a back burner: (he) (no) (pt)

With the exception of Hebrew where I'm going to learn the alphabet. It's a shame I can read the Arabic script but I cannot read the Hebrew script yet. While I would love to learn every language on this planet it's not going to be so easy so I chose a few basic ones I need to improve first.

My goal is to reach A2 to B1 in each of these languages.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-10, 14:44

Hent wrote:My goal is to reach A2 to B1 in each of these languages.

In a year?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-10, 23:21

Hent wrote:I'm going to learn all the languages on my list

What languages are those? I'm confused. :hmm:

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-10, 23:36

vijayjohn wrote:
Hent wrote:I'm going to learn all the languages on my list

What languages are those? I'm confused. :hmm:

I thought he meant the languages on his profile.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-11, 11:22

Tak. Sorry my ip on my cell phone is blocked. Makes me wonder if the new Huawei phone's secure.

I hope I'll reach my goal this year. Dont wanna jinx it.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”