2017 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

linguoboy
Re: 2017 blog - księżyc

Postby linguoboy » 2017-11-09, 20:21

kevin wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Sé. Tá sé fagtha agamTáim tar éis é a fháil.

To be clear, I understood fagtha to be a past participle (as TYI calls it), I was just surprised that the vowel is shortened. I suspected it was a form of fágaim.

"fáil" is from "faigh", not from "fág" (and "get" makes more sense in the context than "leave"). Though I must say that "fagtha" looks weird as a verbal adjective for that. The standard has "faighte".

Tá sorry orm. I don't know what kind of brain fart I was having. I was thinking of fachta, which is one of the nonstandard forms of faighte found in Munster. (Fálta is more common, according to the Cork Irish site.)

Is ana-mheirg atá ar mo chuid Gaelainne sa lá atá inniu ann!
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-09, 20:54

kevin wrote:Nooo, please don't! :doggy:

Éirím as ag scríobh i nGaelainn!

► Show Spoiler

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-11-09, 22:01

księżycowy wrote:Éirím as ag scríobh i nGaelainn!

Ah, tuigim, beidh tú ag scríobh Gaeilge caighdeánaí ina áit. :)

My questions:
Is ag needed here?
Is i the right preposition?
Any other help is more than welcome. :)

I don't think you could ever have two prepositions immediately after each other, such as "as ag" (and I'm sure linguoboy will correct me :D). Anyway, here you don't need an "ag". What I'm unsure about is whether you'd use an article for the verbal noun or not. Maybe both are possible.

"i" is fine.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-09, 22:23

Go raibh maith agat!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-11-09, 23:38

kevin wrote:I don't think you could ever have two prepositions immediately after each other, such as "as ag" (and I'm sure linguoboy will correct me :D).

Ní móide é, but I'm sure if we said "never" an example would pop up just to prove us wrong!

kevin wrote:Anyway, here you don't need an "ag". What I'm unsure about is whether you'd use an article for the verbal noun or not. Maybe both are possible.

Sounds odd with the article. I think you only see that when its use is truly nominal.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-11-10, 8:19

linguoboy wrote:Sounds odd with the article. I think you only see that when its use is truly nominal.

focloir.ie has "I've quit drinking – d'éirigh mé as an ól", which has an article and looked very similar in meaning to me.

Of course, on teanglann.ie I see "To quit doing sth. – éirí as rud a dhéanamh", which would suggest that just a VN construction (even without an object) works, so it doesn't need an article. I'd probably agree that it sounds better, too, but I don't have that much confidence in my intuitive judgment...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-11, 12:17

I swear, you can put to shins together (with or with out the plural endings) in Hebrew with a random vowel pattern and probably more often then not strike an actual number. :lol:

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-11-11, 14:30

Is maith s(h)in. :D

But can you give some examples? Wiktionary doesn't seem to have that many interpretations. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-11, 15:12

שני, שלישי, שלושים, שישי
An leanaim orm ag scríobh? :lol:

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-11-11, 16:03

Ah, I thought you meant you'd only use shin (and vowels).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-11, 16:06

It was mostly a joke anyway, but there are a lot of shins in numbers. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-11, 19:49

There is still some daylight left, but what the hell, I’ll post an update for a change. :P

Goals For 11/05 Through 11/11
    Japanese
  • Review Lessons 1-3 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Put sentences into Anki from Lessons 2 & 3 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Parse the first paragraph of 「アメリカザリガニ」 by さくらももこ

Hebrew
  • Parse Ex 3:4-6
  • Put sentences/phrases in Anki from Lessons 1-4 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  • Review Lessons 1-4 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  • Complete Lessons 1-8* in Assimil (Modern) Hebrew by Shifra Jacquet-Svironi, et al.

Irish
  • Put sentences into Anki from Lessons 1-3 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Review Lessons 1-3 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Parse An Chearc

Fun Languages (Warning: This Vehicle Makes Frequent Stops!)
    Arrernte**
  • Complete Chapter 1 in A Learner's Guide to Eastern and Central Arrernte by Jenny Green

Seneca
  • Complete Lesson 1 from Language Lessons with Pearl White

Notes:
- It was so easy to put the sentences (phrases really) into Anki from Biblical Hebrew, that I almost moved on the the next set. Probably should have.

- I didn't really complete all of chapter 1 in Arrernte, but I feel a lot more comfortable with the phonology than I did at the start. I feel ready to move on the actual grammar and sentences!

- I'm not updating Seneca, until I know where both me and dEhiN are collectively. Though I probably could use another few days on lesson 1.

- I'm not quite done putting all of the example sentences I want to put into Anki from MnN yet, but I should be able to finish it by sundown.

- I did not get a chance to finish the parsing I said I'd do for Hebrew, Japanese or Irish. I did start the Irish though. :D
Last edited by księżycowy on 2017-11-11, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-11, 20:01

Goals For 11/12 Through 11/18
    Japanese
  • Parse the first paragraph of 「アメリカザリガニ」 by さくらももこ
  • Review Lessons 4-6 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [optional]
  • Put sentences into Anki from Lessons 4-6 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [optional]

Hebrew
  • Parse Ex 3:4-6
  • Put sentences/phrases in Anki from Lessons 5-8 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. [optional]
  • Review Lessons 5-8 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. [optional]
  • Complete Lessons 8-13 in Assimil Hebrew by Shifra Jacquet-Svironi, et al.

Irish
  • Parse An Chearc
  • Put sentences into Anki from Lessons 4-6 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín [optional]
  • Review Lessons 4-6 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín[/s] [optional]

Fun Languages (Warning: This Vehicle Makes Frequent Stops!)
    Arrernte
  • Learn Sentences 3-21 in A Learner's Guide to Eastern and Central Arrernte by Jenny Green

Seneca
  • Complete Lesson 1 from Language Lessons with Pearl White

Notes:
- I anticipate this to be a writing week for my thesis, so I'm mostly going to try to keep up with Anki and parsing my texts for Irish, Japanese and Hebrew. If I can get anything else in, great. If not, no sweat.

- I'm counting by sentences for Arrente because of the way the book of set up. I'm doing about a small portion of Chapter 2 (sections 2.1-2.6). I was going to do it by sections, but some are a bit long.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-15, 23:19

Ok, in light of recent events, I've decided to both make Seneca the official fourth serious language for this year (and probably into the next). Therefore, here are my goals for it:

Seneca
  • Catch up on vocabulary for my course*
  • Continue with Language Lessons with Pearl White**
  • Read relevant bits from the Seneca Grammar**

Notes:
*The Seneca language lessons are held every Thursday evening.

**I'm obviously going to prioritize the language lessons through the Seneca Nation, but I'll still work through these resources. I'm just not sure what kind of pace I'll will end up going through them at.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-15, 23:26

księżycowy wrote:in light of recent events

:lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-16, 0:01

何だ?
Dë’ëh?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-16, 0:10

Oh, it just sounded kind of like a formal way of saying "because I've been talking so much about Seneca with dEhiN lately." But of course, to be fair, that's basically the same way I write and talk, too. :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-16, 0:20

:pff:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-17, 2:34

I just got a copy of A Learner's Guide to Pintupi-Luritja! Woohoo! My conquest of Wati language resources I'd almost done! :twisted:

In other news, it's time to seriously start considering next year's language selection.

I know I'm going to continue with the major ones I'm doing now until at least I'm done with whatever resources I'm using. But what else to work on?

Choices, choices. :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-17, 3:27

So your major ones are Biblical Hebrew, Japanese, and German? But you're trying to decide what else?

It looks like this forum is pretty useful for you learning Irish. I'm less sure about Polish, especially now that I doubt anyone has heard from Patrislav in months. :( What other languages are you considering? Arrernte? Seneca? Cayuga? One of the Wati languages?

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”