TAC eskandar (Arabic, Hebrew, Urdu)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2017 eskandar

Postby eskandar » 2017-07-07, 20:49

vijayjohn wrote:I think it might also be used as a generic nickname for (little) girls.

So I learned when looking this word up. I hesitated on how to translate it, because it seemed like it could be both a given name and a term of address. But I think it's funnier if we presume the girl's actually name is Guriya and then her mom is yelling at her "ni Gaddoo!" :lol:
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-07-08, 4:24

eskandar wrote:
اچھی بات ہے ! تو "گشتئیے" کا مطلب ہے "ارے گشتی!" :lol: آپ کی مدد کا شکریہ، صائم بھائی!

صحیح ہے۔ پنجابی زبان میں vocative case -ئیے سے بن جاتا ہے۔

مثلا:

کُڑی (لڑکی) - کُڑئیے
سوہنی (خوبصورت) - سوہنئیے

مذکر اسم (کہ "اسماء"؟) "ئیا" لیتے ہیں:

مُنڈا (لڑکا) - مُنڈیا
سوہنا (خوبصورت) - سوہنیا

جمع اسم "و" لیتے ہیں:

مُنڈے (لڑکے) - مُنڈیو
کُڑیاں (لڑکیاں) - کُڑئیو
Last edited by Saim on 2017-07-10, 6:09, edited 2 times in total.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-07-08, 19:09

مہربانی! میں نے بار بار "سونئیے" وغیرہ پنجابی گانوں میں سنا ہے، تو مجھے یہ سمجھنا چاہئیے تھا!

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-07-10, 6:07

eskandar wrote:
مہربانی! میں نے بار بار "سونئیے" وغیرہ پنجابی گانوں میں سنا ہے، تو مجھے یہ سمجھنا چاہئیے تھا!

ہندی فلمی گانوں میں بھی موجود ہے، ہندی سنیما کو "پنجدی" کافی پسند ہے۔ جب میں (تقریبا 5 سال پہلے) اردو سیکھنے لگا، میں نے "جھوم برابر" کے ترجمہ کرنے کی کوشش میں "سوہنئیے" اور "بل‏ئیے" ہندی لغت میں مفت ہی ڈھونڈے۔ :lol:

ویسے میرے پچھلے پیغام میں ایک غلتی تھی: "سوہنا" "ہ" سے لکھتے ہیں کونکہ اس میںrising tone (بڑھنے والا لہجہ) ہے۔

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-07-12, 21:33

Saim wrote:
ویسے میرے پچھلے پیغام میں ایک غلتی تھی: "سوہنا" "ہ" سے لکھتے ہیں کونکہ اس میںrising tone (بڑھنے والا لہجہ) ہے۔

اچھا، پہلے والا مجھے درست نہیں لگتا تھا پر معلوم نہ تھا کہ اس کی غلطی کیا تھی. ویسے آپ کے اس پیغام میں بھی ایک غلطی ہے... :wink:

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-04, 0:04

I want to try to translate this song by one of my favorite Egyptian groups, Eskenderella (no relation :lol: ). I wish we had an Egyptian on the forum who would check my translation as there's parts I wasn't so sure about... The lyrics are by the Egyptian poet Amin Haddad. I found this
online Egyptian Arabic dictionary to be an invaluable resource for many of the words I didn't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Re_apgGOLM

يحكى أنَ، أنَ إيه
سرقوا بلادنا ولاد الإيه
يحكى أنَ، كان يا ما كان
سرقوا بلادنا الأمريكان

It's said that, what happened
Those guys stole our countries
It's said that, once upon a time
The Americans stole our countries

يحكى أنَ، جيل ورا جيل
سرقوا فلسطين إسرائيل
يحكى أنَ، يا أحفاد
امريكا دخلت بغداد

It's said that, generation after generation
Israel stole Palestine
It's said that, O grandchildren
America entered Baghdad

يحكى أنَ، يا حلاوه
أمريكا بتضرب بغباوه
راح يدخلوا بغداد العصر
و المغرب راح يدخلوا مصر

It's said that, how sweet it is
America is pummeling like a brute
They are going to enter the Baghdad of the era
And Morocco is going to enter Egypt

يحكى أنَ، انعقدت قمَه
ما بتعرفش تقول و لا كلمه
يحكى أنَ، الظلم استشرى
و الدم مطرطش فى النشره

It's said that, a summit was held
You don't know a single word to say
It's said that, oppression spread
And the blood is splattered on the announcement

يحكى أنَ، ان احنا سكتنا
نام ياحبيبي وسيب دنيتنا الليل خيم على سكتنا
و الغولة تنيم همتنا، على أنغام أوهام الفتنة
و النور طفى ف قلب بيوت، و الأحلام ف عيوننا تموت
توتة توتة خلصت حكايتنا والديب نام شبعان مبسوط
بس سكوتنا ماكانش سكوت ومفيش امة تعيش وتموت

It's said that, we kept quiet
Sleep, my dear, and leave our world, the night settled over our silence
And the ghoul puts our ambition to sleep, to the tune of illusions of sedition
And the light turned off deep inside homes, and the dreams in our eyes die
Our story's come to an end, the wolf slept happily through the month of Sha'baan
But our silence wasn't a silence and there's no ummah that lives and dies

يحكى أن أن إيه، شعبنا مسك النور بأيديه
يحكى أن كان يا ما كان، اللى أرادوا شعبنا كان
يحكى أن جيل ورا جيل، مصر أتولدت فى التحرير
يحكى أن يا أبناء، شمس الثورة من الشهداء

It's said that, our people caught the light with their hands
It's said that, once upon a time, what they wanted was our people
It's said that, generation after generation, Egypt was born in Tahrir [square]
It's said that, O [my] sons, the sun of the revolution is from the martyrs

يحكى أن يا حرية، ثورتنا ثورة عربية
فجر وصبح وظهر وعصر، تونس ليبيا سوريا مصر
يُحكي أنّ ستُعقد قمة، فيها العدل وفيها الهمة
يُحكي أنّ فجرنا طالع، والورد بيطرح في الشارع
يُحكي أنّ النور أقدامنا

It's said that, O freedom, our revolution is an Arab revolution
Dawn and morning and noon and afternoon, Tunisia, Libya, Syria, Egypt
It's said that a summit will be held, in it, there will be justice and there will be ambition
It's said that our dawn is breaking, and flowers are blooming in the street
It's said that the light is ahead of us..

New vocab
يُحكى أنَ it's said that (equivalent to كان يا ما كان, once upon a time)
ولاد الإيه those guys
غباوة stupidity; resorting to force out of social incompetence
استشرى to spread
مطرطش splattered (from طرطش to splash, to splatter)
نشرة proclamation, announcement
ساب \ يسيب to leave (something where it is)
خيّم علی to settle over
انغام pl. of نغم rhythm
طفی to turn off
X توتة توتة خلصت (ending to children's stories eg. توتة توتة خلصت الحدوتة)
ديب wolf
مسك to catch, arrest
طرح to bear fruit, blossom

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-04, 4:02

eskandar wrote:I wish we had an Egyptian on the forum who would check my translation as there's parts I wasn't so sure about...

There aren't even any on the Arabic forum, really? That's too bad. It looked like there used to be, though.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-04, 4:12

vijayjohn wrote:There aren't even any on the Arabic forum, really? That's too bad. It looked like there used to be, though.

Who used to be there? The Arabic forum is pretty dead nowadays and none of the regular posters--or even the occasional posters I've noticed--are Arabs. (By the way, not that he was an Arab or interested in colloquial Arabic, but I wonder what ever happened to Babelfish who used to be pretty active there.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-04, 4:38

eskandar wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:There aren't even any on the Arabic forum, really? That's too bad. It looked like there used to be, though.

Who used to be there?

Well, there was briefly someone with the user name M_Adam four years ago. There's also this guy with the user name ahmed_crow. Both of them are from Egypt.
The Arabic forum is pretty dead nowadays

Like basically all the language forums :P
and none of the regular posters--or even the occasional posters I've noticed--are Arabs.

Really? There was languagepotato who spoke Moroccan Arabic, Anima Benedicta who spoke Palestinian Arabic, Irrisim from Lebanon, アリ/علي from Sudan, jaybee from Saudi Arabia, لنا from Jordan...

Of course, to be fair, most of these people haven't been around forever. :whistle: But that's still better than the Indian posters! I swear, I must be the only Indian who's made more than like ten posts in the past four years at least.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-04, 5:06

vijayjohn wrote:
The Arabic forum is pretty dead nowadays

Like basically all the language forums :P

I wish we could get some of the native speakers back that we used to have in the Arabic, Persian, and Turkish forums. There were some really interesting people who used to post here and it never occurred to me to exchange contact information with them before they left the site because people typically don't formally leave, they just stop posting... Most of all zhiguli who used to be active on other sites as well but seems to have disappeared from the internet. I'd love to be in touch with him again.

and none of the regular posters--or even the occasional posters I've noticed--are Arabs.

Really? There was languagepotato who spoke Moroccan Arabic, Anima Benedicta who spoke Palestinian Arabic, Irrisim from Lebanon, アリ/علي from Sudan, jaybee from Saudi Arabia, لنا from Jordan...

I meant of those who are still active. Some of those you listed haven't logged on to Unilang in over five years!

Meanwhile Wordreference has tons of very active native speakers, which is great, but you can't do song translations (or even post Youtube videos) over there, because the site's owner is paranoid about getting in trouble for people sharing unlicensed music or something. :roll:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-08-05, 0:50

eskandar wrote:Meanwhile Wordreference has tons of very active native speakers, which is great, but you can't do song translations (or even post Youtube videos) over there, because the site's owner is paranoid about getting in trouble for people sharing unlicensed music or something. :roll:

I also don't like wordreference's desire to categorize everything. There, you should strictly adhere to the topic, while here, we chat about everything in every topic, which I like much better because people share more interesting thoughts and links when they are not restricted to one topic.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-05, 1:26

I see the benefits of both, to be honest. Wordreference is organized that way in order to be a useful dictionary. It's an almost unparalleled resource if you're trying to search the forums for a specific word or phrase. The level of knowledge and expertise shared on that forum is amazing, and the strict rules have helped keep the typical nonsense that comes with language message boards to a minimum. On the other hand, I agree with you that some really interesting things come up in the sprawling, off-topic discussions over here!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-07, 22:15

A Persian Sufi song with my translation:

https://youtu.be/pmM2-I0EZXM

یه شبی زار و پریشان
در میخانه زدم
ز غم هجر و فراقش
می سوزد جان و تنم
گفتمش باز کن ساقی من
منم آن مطرب خوش
که شکسته ساز دلم
گفتمش می‌‌ بده جام پیاپی بده
ز قرار رفته ازدست آمده است جان به لبم
تو ببین کاسه چشمم بنگر سرخی اشکم
بنگر به حال مستم، به غم هجر و فراقش
یار پاک است تیره منم
گفتمش ساقی‌ من، بنواز این دل من
به سرم شور نوا
به فدایت جان و سرم

One night, grieved and forlorn
I knocked on the door of the tavern,
my heart and soul aching
from the grief of separation

I said, open the door, O cupbearer
I'm the cheerful musician
with a broken instrument for a heart

I said, give me wine, give me cup after cup
I've lost my calm and soon will lose my life

See the wineglass of my eyes, the redness of my tears
behold my drunken state, from the grief of separation

My beloved is pure and I am tarnished
I said, O my cupbearer, play this heart of mine
my head is uneasy with melody
let my body and soul be your sacrifice

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2017-08-11, 20:38

eskandar wrote:Meanwhile Wordreference has tons of very active native speakers, which is great, but you can't do song translations (or even post Youtube videos) over there, because the site's owner is paranoid about getting in trouble for people sharing unlicensed music or something. :roll:

You can send private messages though... Once upon a time at least I actually had some luck and got an Amharic native speaker to transcribe and translate a certain song for me. :P

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-11, 21:06

Now that Serafín mentioned it, you can always try to send someone a private message here as well. Some old timers still lurk around, even if they don't post anymore. Others have mail notifications turned on for private messages, so if they see it they might actually log in. Not saying it works every time (it probably doesn't :P ), but I've been able to contact people this way before.

Also, many people have their e-mail address on their profile. There's even a Send e-mail to option.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-11, 21:44

Luís wrote:Not saying it works every time (it probably doesn't :P )

Nope.
but I've been able to contact people this way before.

Me, too!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-13, 23:05

I sent a message to zhiguli a few weeks ago, and emailed him as well (the email got bounced back as the account is no longer active). I don't expect to get a response. I think he's either intentionally disappeared from the internet, or... :cry:

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-19, 6:34

Had the unexpected opportunity to speak some Spanish today. It made me proud that even though I rarely listen to music in Spanish, almost never read anything in it, and probably only have occasion to speak it a few times a year, I can still speak and understand it comfortably. I was inspired to watch the news in Spanish for a bit.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-28, 23:07

I'm almost never motivated to do anything with French, but suddenly I have the perfect opportunity: a manageably short clip in French with no translation available, on a subject in which I'm very interested (Islamic reform in West Africa) by a scholar whose work I've been following. Let's see how much I can understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FavpzXRzczI

Regarding the phenomenon of Izala, Izala is an Islamic reform movement which is essentially anti-Sufi and anti-traditionalist that would like to reform Islam and limit the practice of Islam and its theology to the Qur'an and the tradition of the prophet Muhammad ... [???] ... emerged? ... creates many problems, it hugely creates conflicts ... conflicts ... ? of mosques, control of mosques, control of the media, ... what makes the ... and with all this competition, ... and which have, finally, informed the very meaning of Islam ... the Nigerien context ... this has been a local dynamic, but it must be said that this dynamic has been greatly influenced from the outside. Especially the major influences, I'd say, are the influence of northern Nigeria. When we consider...when we look a little at the genealogy of the Izala movement in Niger, and that genealogy is very related to the Izala of Nigeria. For example, the texts of the Izala association [?] of Niger are practically the same as the Izala association of northern Nigeria. That was the primary influence, that of northern Nigeria. Well, that doesn't date [?] to the phenomenon Izala ... Islam in Niger has been very frequently ... the actors of Nigerien Islam ... often ... association with the actors [agents?] of Nigerien Islam ... [???] not exclusive to Izala ... we also find Sufi organizations, notably the Tijaniyyah [a large Sufi order].

... external influences ... called the graduates of Medina[?] ... as opposed to the graduates of Cairo. The Cairo graduates are .... and formed by ... the al-Azhar tradition. The graduates of Medina were ... and formed by the tradition of the Islamic University of Medina ....... superior Islamic ... in that region, in particular in Saudi Arabia ... that, when they return to Niger, evidently they wanted to create a space, an expression... They had to capitalize....They had to, let's say, profit from the symbolic capital they had acquired, symbolic and cultural [capital] that they had, in fact, acquired. Above all [?] the Nigerien system is not always very open to the Medina graduates. They were in a Francophone context, they were in a context where the state had been organized ... which did not make sufficient room .... profile ... of Nigeriens.

Well, for someone like me who can't speak French to save his life, hasn't been exposed to it in 2 years, and usually finds the spoken language impenetrable, this wasn't too bad! :D Corrections very welcome!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-09-01, 11:58

eskandar wrote:Well, for someone like me who can't speak French to save his life, hasn't been exposed to it in 2 years, and usually finds the spoken language impenetrable, this wasn't too bad!

Eskandar, seems like, with your knowledge in Islamicate languages, nobody is impressed with your French anymore. :)

It's cool that you can find opportunities to practise your Spanish and French.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”