TAC eskandar (Arabic, Hebrew, Italian)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: ''', Forum Administrators

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC eskandar (Arabic, Hebrew, Italian)

Postby eskandar » 2019-06-30, 1:03

vijayjohn wrote:I'd love to join you if it's okay

Of course!

voron wrote:We'll use the same format as we used for Kalila wa Dimna, right? -- reading a story, and then commenting on new words, and difficult or interesting sentences. (And I'll be cheating a bit, as I have a bilingual version with Turkish translation. :whistle: ).

Yeah, that sounds good to me. I want to finish Kalila wa Dimna before I start, but I think I only have 8-9 stories to go, so I'll try to get through them as quickly as possible and then I can catch up to you guys.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-07-03, 4:58

I think I'd like to at least finish الأسد والثور if possible, even if I have to do that and start قصص النبيين at the same time. :lol:

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-07-06, 13:07

Italian: Finished Michel Thomas Italian Advanced CD3. I really like MT in the beginning stages but I'm not sure the advanced CDs are really worth the time. They are so repetitive and cover very little over a long period of time. Maybe this kind of slow, repetitive practice would be necessary for Chinese or something, but coming from knowing Spanish and French, I don't need to endlessly drill basic Italian grammar this way. I might stick it out with MT just because I like to finish what I start, but I'm definitely not prioritizing it.

Hebrew: Passed the 2000 flashcard mark a little while ago - that's 2000+ mature cards representing words that I can actively produce. I'd like to be at ~3000 words by this time next year.

Arabic: Finished Kalila wa Dimna. Soon I'll start Qisas al-Nabiyyin.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-07-07, 8:08

I think I'll keep track of my progress in Qisas al-Nabiyyin here rather than in the Arabic Study Group thread, like voron is doing, in order to avoid cluttering that thread up. Anyway, I read stories 1-6 from Qisas al-Nabiyyin.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-07-07, 8:49

eskandar wrote:I think I'll keep track of my progress in Qisas al-Nabiyyin here rather than in the Arabic Study Group thread, like voron is doing, in order to avoid cluttering that thread up. Anyway, I read stories 1-6 from Qisas al-Nabiyyin.

How do you like the book so far?

Also I thought since we are doing it together, posting in the group would be more convenient for discussing it, but it's up to you.

(I posted my first report about this book in the study group thread, have you seen it? :)).

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-07-07, 15:37

Italian: Finished MT Italian Advanced CD4.

Hebrew: Picked up Colloquial Hebrew again. I'm halfway through, on chapter 7 of 14.

voron wrote:How do you like the book so far?

Also I thought since we are doing it together, posting in the group would be more convenient for discussing it, but it's up to you.

(I posted my first report about this book in the study group thread, have you seen it? :)).

It's a bit simple so far, but that's OK since I want to dedicate most of my effort to Hebrew and Italian for the next month.

I saw your post in the group and responded to it, remember? :D Sure, let's post in the group. I just meant I'd post in my own thread if I have nothing more substantial to say than "I read another story", but I can post that there as well - doesn't make a difference to me.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-07-07, 21:15

I agree, I think posting in the group makes sense. I'll try to do that myself soon (but not before doing some Persian first!).

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”