TAC eskandar (Arabic, Hebrew, Turkish, others)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: ''', Forum Administrators

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC eskandar (Arabic, Hebrew, Turkish, others)

Postby voron » 2018-06-24, 15:06

eskandar wrote:Does anyone have any favorite materials for Palestinian?

There is this resource which looks very nice (and is available online):
https://www.amazon.com/Colloquial-Pales ... 0982159536

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-06-25, 8:41

vijayjohn wrote:LangMedia. I tend to use materials from a whole bunch of Levantine varieties, though, and personally don't care that much about whether they're Palestinian vs. Jordanian vs. Lebanese vs. Syrian (or Damascene vs. North Levantine Arabic or whatever).

Thanks, I'll check it out. At this stage, that's probably a good strategy for me as well, given that I always mix dialects when I speak anyway. At some point I have to really decide who I want to sound like. I'll probably shoot for an urban Palestinian variety, but I don't know yet if there is much difference between different cities.

Saim wrote:Why not? Once you're good at speaking it shouldn't be too hard to learn to read. The Hebrew script is pretty close to the Arabic script as well.

I can read the Hebrew script - actually it was the first script I learned to read after Latin, as a child, though I did have to re-learn it when I started doing Hebrew last winter. The problem is more the vocabulary. My real interest is in speaking, and there are too many words I'd have to learn in order to be able to read - especially literary words that aren't used much in speech. I've encountered this when reading a play by Hanoch Levin, which was itself already one of the most colloquial pieces of writing you can find in Hebrew.

Saim wrote:I don't think you need to worry that much about stress. The stress is always either on the ultimate or penultimate syllable, except in loanwords. IME when you make a mistake it's pretty easy to learn from because it's like "oh ok, it's the other one".

I'm too anal for that, so I check the stress for just about every word I learn from a source like Assimil which doesn't mark it before making flashcards and trying to commit the word to memory. I'd rather learn it right the first time. Luckily I have access to native speakers and Wiktionary is pretty good in this regard.

vijayjohn wrote:Because the only scripts he knows are Roman, Cyrillic, and Arabic and he's scared to have to learn another one. I've sort of tried having this conversation with him before. :lol:

Eskandar bhai, have you ever considered learning Malay or Indonesian? :idea: EDIT: Or an African language? Maybe Swahili?

You can safely add Hebrew to that list at this point. :wink: That being said, I'm sticking to learning Hebrew through transcription, at least for now, and I still don't want to learn any additional scripts (though I REALLY should learn Devanagari someday).

Vijay bhai, Malay/Indonesian hovers semi-permanently at the top of my wanderlust list of languages I'd like to learn. Don't know when/if I ever will, though. There are a bunch of African languages I'd love to learn as well - Swahili would be cool, but I'm also really interested in some of the other Islamicate languages of the continent, especially Hausa, Kanuri/Kanembu, and to a lesser degree Bamako. For the time being just reading about them is enough for me.

voron wrote:There is this resource which looks very nice (and is available online):
https://www.amazon.com/Colloquial-Pales ... 0982159536

Awesome, I'll look for it online. Thank you!
Away from Unilang until further notice.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-06-25, 9:17

eskandar wrote:I'm too anal for that, so I check the stress for just about every word I learn from a source like Assimil which doesn't mark it before making flashcards and trying to commit the word to memory. I'd rather learn it right the first time. Luckily I have access to native speakers and Wiktionary is pretty good in this regard.

That's fair. Let me know if you want the audio for L'hébreu sans peine and I'll upload it to my Drive. :)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-06-25, 10:24

Thanks! I'm doing fine without it at the moment, but I'll take you up on your offer if I need it later. :)
Away from Unilang until further notice.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-25, 11:59

I just wanted to stop by and say I like both of these for Palestinian Arabic:
Eastern Arabic by Rice and Sa'id
Speaking Arabic by Elihay
Elihay's text in particular is quite comprehensive.

The only down side to both of these is they are in romanization only.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-25, 21:53

I happen to have the 1979 edition of Eastern Arabic, but I don't have audio for it, and so far, I don't care for it much since it's apparently really supposed to be used with a teacher who speaks the variety natively (and they're not too clear on which variety it is, either...).
eskandar wrote:Thanks, I'll check it out.

:) عفوا و خواهش می کنم
I can read the Hebrew script - actually it was the first script I learned to read after Latin, as a child, though I did have to re-learn it when I started doing Hebrew last winter.

The first alphabet song I ever heard after the English one (and after some song for the Malayalam alphabet I'm not sure anyone remembers) was a slightly modified version of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzIxfKndY5A
without the distinction between dotted and un-dotted letters (e.g. "aleph be-et" instead of "aleph bet vet") and repeated only twice. My brother and niece know this song, too.

It took me forever to learn the actual letters, though. :lol:
The problem is more the vocabulary. My real interest is in speaking, and there are too many words I'd have to learn in order to be able to read - especially literary words that aren't used much in speech. I've encountered this when reading a play by Hanoch Levin, which was itself already one of the most colloquial pieces of writing you can find in Hebrew.

Interesting, that sounds a lot more like Arabic and a lot of the major Indian languages (including Malayalam) than I would have ever guessed.

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”