Saim's log 2017-2019

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Iván
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Saim's log 2017-2018

Postby Iván » 2018-09-11, 19:30

Do you guys recommend getting the premium version of LingQ? I'm somehow tired of Anki (don't feel like adding new cards every day) and I'm considering using a new app.
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-09-11, 20:39

Yes, for the unlimited number of LingQs and imports. They offered me a trial after some time and you can use e.g. this code https://www.sayweee.com/coupons/lingq?promoid=1612914 to get 90% off. I used it for this month, but I'm not sure if it can be used more than once (if it still is valid by then). But LingQ is much more than just a vocabulary-learning app. Have you had a look at the free version? That lets you use all the content, but the main limitations are the very limited number of LingQs and imports.
Please correct my mistakes!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-09-11, 23:24

I didn't know the free version lets you use all the services. What's a LingQ? I remember being interested in the site once before when we talked about it on here, but I don't remember if I ended up signing up and just not using it, or not even signing up at all.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-09-12, 7:58

Basically, if you click on a word you don't know and then add/ select a translation. Or maybe you like these definitions better:
https://www.lingq.com/de/learn/fr/web/c ... is-a-lingq
https://www.lingq.com/de/learn/fr/web/c ... -of-lingqs

At least with the default settings, it's quite hard not to accidentally reach that limit of 20 LingQs, though. Oh, it's not all services they offer, as you can see here

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-09-12, 8:44

Iván wrote:Do you guys recommend getting the premium version of LingQ? I'm somehow tired of Anki (don't feel like adding new cards every day) and I'm considering using a new app.

The free version of LingQ is barely functional, honestly. Try it out for a month and if you use it every day or most days then it's worth it. I'd recommend combining the lessons that are already there and the import option.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-09-12, 9:19

There is a free program called Learning with Texts with the functionality similar to LingQ:
http://lwt.sourceforge.net

Demo: https://youtube.com/watch?v=QSLPOATWAU4

One major drawback is that it doesn't have a phone app (it does have a web interface for mobile devices but with very limited functionality).

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-09-12, 9:47

LWT doesn't come with any text/audio, though, right?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-09-12, 9:56

Car wrote:LWT doesn't come with any text/audio, though, right?

No. You need to add your own texts and audio to it.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-09-12, 11:12

voron wrote:
Car wrote:LWT doesn't come with any text/audio, though, right?

No. You need to add your own texts and audio to it.

Thanks for the confirmation. Depending on the language, LingQ has quite a nice collection, but it really varies. E.g. Dutch has nowhere near as much as French, Spanish or even Italian and the written texts for Dutch have major problems in some courses.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-09-12, 11:58

Car wrote:Depending on the language, LingQ has quite a nice collection, but it really varies.

Does it have songs? When I used LWT actively I loved adding songs to it. Here's my set-up for Kurdish:

LWT has its own space repetition function, but you can also export words to Anki, both as word-translation and cloze deletion format of cards.

One more drawback that just came to my mind. LWT does not have any built-in dictionaries and relies exclusively on external dictionaries. You can configure the dictionaries for each language by providing the URL that will open when a word is clicked. On my screenshot you can see that I configured the dictionary ferheng.org for Kurdish. Now when your target language is inflectional, your external dictionary should recognize inflected forms -- otherwise LWT won't be able to show translation when clicking on the word.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-09-12, 19:47

voron wrote:
Car wrote:Depending on the language, LingQ has quite a nice collection, but it really varies.

Does it have songs? When I used LWT actively I loved adding songs to it. Here's my set-up for Kurdish:

I've seen some courses with songs, but overall, no. Of course you can always add them yourself if you want to (as long as you keep your stuff private, you don't have to worry about copyright).

LWT has its own space repetition function, but you can also export words to Anki, both as word-translation and cloze deletion format of cards.

LingQ has its own spaced repetition system as well and you can export words, but I don't know the details of that since I've never used it. I prefer reviewing them when they come up in the text again.

One more drawback that just came to my mind. LWT does not have any built-in dictionaries and relies exclusively on external dictionaries. You can configure the dictionaries for each language by providing the URL that will open when a word is clicked. On my screenshot you can see that I configured the dictionary ferheng.org for Kurdish. Now when your target language is inflectional, your external dictionary should recognize inflected forms -- otherwise LWT won't be able to show translation when clicking on the word.

On LingQ, you can choose between popular community translations, look words up through the dictionaries that are external, but integrated into the system or just use another one. If the inflected form can't be handled, you can manually change the word you're searching for (it just opens the dictionary result in a pop-up). You can then either edit existing translations or add your own. They also integrated some verb declension sites, some of which highlight the form you looked up.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-09-19, 12:03

Język polski

Ten post napiszę w języku polskim (bo właśnie o to chodzi, że go zbyt rzadko używam).

Muszę wam się do czegoś przyznać: za bardzo nie wykorzystałem pobytu w Polsce, żeby doskonalić swoją wiedzę lokalnego języka. W zeszłym roku raczej rzadko czytałem w języku polskim (może dwie godziny w tygodniu), a prawie w ogóle nie oglądałem telewizji, filmów, czy YouTube'u w tym języku. Mam dużo znajomych Polaków, a z nimi wyłącznie po polsku gadam, natomiast ciągle czuję brak słownictwa, przez który nie mogę swobodnie wyrażać takich bardziej komplikowanych emocji, czy opinii politycznych, itp. Jest to dość frustrujące: zauważyłem, że chociaż mieszkam w Polsce, można by nawet powiedzieć, że moja umiejętność języka polskiego rdzewieje.

Został mi niecały rok w Polsce, więc postanowiłem to poprawić zanim wyjadę, aby nareszcie osiągnąć poziom C2. Na pewno mi się przyda sam certyfikat (zapisałem się na sesję listopadową, więc mało czasu do nauki mi zostało!), a jak już nie będę tu mieszkał, to chciałbym tak dobrze umieć po polsku, jak teraz umiem po katalońsku (moja umiejętność języka katalońskiego już prawie nie rdzewieje, gdy się nim długo nie posługuję). A jak osiągnąłem tak wysoki poziom języka katalońskiego, kiedy mieszkałem w Katalonii? No posługiwałem się nim codziennie przez wiele godzin. To wyszłoby na to, że jeśli chcę zobaczyć te same skutki, to powinienem używać tej samej metody (ale ze mnie geniusz! :roll: ).

W tym celu, zacząłem używać języka polskiego codziennie. Oglądam takie kanały YouTube'owe, jak Madame Polyglot, Keitah, Posłuchaj o Anarchizmie, czy Trans Grysy. Importuję artykuły z polskojęzycznej Wikipedii, strajk.eu oraz czarnateoria.noblogs.org do Lingq. Obejrzałem amerykański serial Rozczarowani z dubbing'iem i napisami po polsku, i zapisałem nowe słówka (dalej będę oglądał seriale w różnych językach na Netflixie, jak na przykład hiszpański serial Telefonistki, ale wyłącznie z polskimi napisami). Na szczęście, w moim nowym mieszkaniu będzie telewizor, więc nie będę musiał poświęcać dużo czasu na szukanie ciekawych polskojęzycznych tekstów/filmów/itd., kiedy mi się nie chce (przez stres albo zmęczenie uczelnią).

Oprócz bardziej "naturalnego" podejścia do nauki języka (tj. stały kontakt z językiem z pomocą mediów), kupiłem podręcznik z ćwiczeniami języka polskiego na poziomie C2: codziennie będę rozwiązywał kilka zadań. Jak zacznie się semestr też będę chodził przynajmniej raz w tygodniu do biblioteki Wydziału Filologii Polskiej i Klasycznej, który jest 10 minut pieszo od mojego wydziału (Wydział Neofilologii).

Będę mógł się uczyć innych języków, ale moim głównym priorytetem będzie język polski. Do nauki innych języków będę próbował używać głównie materiałów dla osób polskojęzycznych, o ile to będzie możliwe.

Mam nadzieję, że to wszystko zadziała. :)
Last edited by Saim on 2018-09-19, 15:02, edited 4 times in total.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-09-19, 12:49

Saim wrote:Mam nadzieję, że to wszystko zadziała. :)

Powodzenia!

Saim wrote:Jest to dość frustrujące: zauważyłem, że chociaż mieszkam w Polsce, można by nawet powiedzieć, że moja umiejętność języka polskiego zardzewieje.

Zardzewieje looks like a perfective verb; I guess you need imperfective in this sentence?..

I am happy that I could read your post easily and knew all the words. :)

And yeah, just living in the country where your language is spoken is definitely not enough. I speak to my Turkish friends and have to interact with people daily, but it mostly requires a limited vocabulary and the same set of phrases. I've noticed that I'm not improving unless I continue to actively study the language.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-09-19, 14:54

voron wrote:Powodzenia!

Dzięki!

Saim wrote:Zardzewieje looks like a perfective verb; I guess you need imperfective in this sentence?.

Faktycznie, forma niedokonana to rdzewieć. :)

Jak znowu czytałem, też zauważyłem jeszcze parę błędów:

moja umiejętność języka katalońskiego się już prawie nie zardzewieje
W języku polskim czasownik rdzewieć, w przeciwieństwie do języków romańskich (kat. rovellar-se, oks. se rolhar/rovilhar, fr. se rouiller, hiszp./ast./gal./pt. oxidarse/oxidase/oxidar-se, wł. arrugginirsi), nie jest refleksyjny.

zapisałem nowe słowa słówka
To chyba nie jest błąd, ale w tym kontekście rodzimi użytkownicy raczej mówiliby "słówko" (tj. pojedyncze słowo w kontekście nauki języków).

I am happy that I could read your post easily and knew all the words. :)

Mnie cieszy to, że w ogóle ktoś to przeczytał i zrozumiał, chociażby jedna osoba. :lol:

And yeah, just living in the country where your language is spoken is definitely not enough. I speak to my Turkish friends and have to interact with people daily, but it mostly requires a limited vocabulary and the same set of phrases. I've noticed that I'm not improving unless I continue to actively study the language.

No właśnie, więc nie wiem co ja robiłem przez cały ten czas. :roll: Będzie mi bardzo przykro, jeśli po trzech latach nie opanuję tego języka.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-09-19, 18:29

I just got a haircut at a local salon, and my hairstylist was a Polish woman! It made me wish I had continued Polish. I barely remembered the few phrases I used to know, so I didn't bother attempting to say even basic greetings to her. Maybe I should blitz Polish over the next 3 months or so. That way, when I go back for my next cut, I can talk to her in Polish. :D
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-09-19, 21:20

Would people please stop tempting me with Polish! :doggy:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-09-20, 2:19

voron wrote:And yeah, just living in the country where your language is spoken is definitely not enough. I speak to my Turkish friends and have to interact with people daily, but it mostly requires a limited vocabulary and the same set of phrases. I've noticed that I'm not improving unless I continue to actively study the language.

This is my experience with Spanish as well. If it was enough, I'd be amazingly fluent by now. :ohwell: My vocabulary is very limited in Spanish as result, because the ways I can use it in my daily life here does not require to me to develop a broader vocabulary. I can certainly read and understand from context far more Spanish vocabulary than I have properly mastered and would be able to recall, but that has made me lazy with regard to building my Spanish vocabulary, which I am trying to remedy with Memrise courses and making myself read more in Spanish and watch more Spanish media on different topics.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-09-20, 12:20

księżycowy wrote:Would people please stop tempting me with Polish! :doggy:

Me too! Especially because of this:
voron wrote:I am happy that I could read your post easily and knew all the words. :)

JEALOUS! :doggy:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-09-20, 12:42

vijayjohn wrote:JEALOUS! :doggy:

You know that at some point I was actually actively learning Polish, right?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23095

Omg it was exactly ten years ago. :o Way before you joined the forum.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-10-04, 7:37

I have the feeling that I'm not advancing as much as I could in some of the Romance and Slavic languages I've been studying because I haven't been doing much writing. The problem is that when I try and sit down and write a text for the sake of writing I end up procrastinating a lot. I don't want to turn writing into a chore (that's what university is for, ha), so I think I might try and translate short fragments from languages I know well to other languages of the same family I have less of a grasp of. In my experience you actually learn a lot more , and I find it more enjoyable than trying to think of something to write about.

These are the pairs I'm thinking of doing:

Serbian > Polish
Serbian > Russian
Polish > Russian
Catalan > French
Spanish > French

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”