TAC 2017 - vijayjohn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2017 - vijayjohn

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-28, 7:52

And I found out I had already posted that particular resource for Teiwa. :P So instead, I found a paper on numbers in the Alor-Pantar languages and posted that along with the archived page from fataluku.com for Oirata. For the Oirata post, I also left a comment with a bit of additional information that seems to have been lost from the archive.

I also finished reading Chapter 14 of Practical Chinese Reader IV, followed by Chapter 10 of TY Business French, and have been more or less planning out what to post for Quechua, Mapudungun, Lnuismk, and Michif in that order. For Quechua, I'll post this and this. For Mapudungun, maybe I'll post this and this. For Lnuismk, I think I'll post this and this (not everything in the latter YouTube channel has to do with Lnuismk, but a lot of it does!). For Michif, I intend to post this (I listened to the whole thing tonight) and this (which I've actually posted here before!). None of these things have been posted yet (at least not in the subs in question).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-28, 21:58

I posted what I mentioned in the post above for Quechua and Mapudungun and read a bit more of the German postwar short story "(Die) Lieblingsspeise der Hyänen" by Siegfried Lenz in a German reader I have (for students learning it via English) called Querschnitt. The story was apparently taken from a collection called Auf den Spuren der Zeit.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-28, 23:29

Since we've been talking a lot about the languages we're into, and wanderlust and shit like that, I though I'd cut to the chase and put all the languages I'm interested in on my language list.

I think I counted 112 languages. :lol:

Naturally, I'll probably actually get to, idk, 8% of that list. If I'm lucky.
I just wanted to taunt you with languages we're both into. :twisted:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-29, 0:15

Oh, and I forgot to mention that when I posted in Hindi asking people what their opinions were on Sanskritized Hindi, one fellow linguist gave me this two-page-long answer, all in Hindi. I should probably try translating it sometime. Just reading it must've taken me an hour or something, maybe even longer, who knows.

Also, somebody downvoted one of my Mapudungun posts!! Wtf? I hope it wasn't the mod. It was his video! (I hope that's not why...).
księżycowy wrote:Since we've been talking a lot about the languages we're into, and wanderlust and shit like that, I though I'd cut to the chase and put all the languages I'm interested in on my language list.

I think I counted 112 languages. :lol:

Only 112? :twisted:
I just wanted to taunt you with languages we're both into. :twisted:

Actually, I'm starting to think maybe I should try harder to help you (and others here) with...well, whatever languages I can help you with, like German and Chinese. I've always been kind of intrigued by the idea of learning a language with someone, too, but never really got to do it.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-29, 0:28

Fuck that. Help me with Japanese, Irish, Hebrew and Seneca.

Since those are what I'm studying right now. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-29, 0:35

I think the only one of those where I can really help is Japanese. :lol:

Goddammit, why doesn't anyone want to learn a Papuan language with me? :doggy: MASSIMILIANOOOOOOOOO!!!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-29, 0:42

Why doesn't anyone want to seriously learn a NAIL with me? :doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

(Aside from Massimiliano, and I'll be damned if I let you steal him away from me!)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-29, 2:53

I'll try to seriously learn Seneca with you if you try to seriously learn Oirata, Teiwa, Waris, Western Dani, or Ternate with me!

Okay, who am I kidding? No one makes textbooks for Papuan languages. Well, none that I know of, at any rate.

(Also, dammit, Reddit! You were so close to getting me to exactly the point I wanted! Now I need someone else to give me an odd number of upvotes for one of my comments).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-29, 4:46

Currently struggling to translate some cooking instructions from Japanese into English on Reddit.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-29, 6:10

And now I'm almost done posting everything I wanted to post on Reddit. Maybe I can start writing down words to review in Indonesian for this post before I finally get to make my last post there:

if = kalau
when? = kapan?
What about this one? = Kalau ini bagaimana?
Why?/What did you say? = Kenapa?
which one = yang mana
to pay = (mem)bayar
meaning = erti
to understand = mengerti
I wish to order some... = Saya pesan...
Please let me have a look at that. = Coba lihat itu.

And I got distracted and almost forgot to make my post there! :P But I've done that now.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-29, 7:39

vijayjohn wrote:I'll try to seriously learn Seneca with you if you try to seriously learn Oirata, Teiwa, Waris, Western Dani, or Ternate with me!

And who will learn Tagalog with me? :( I feel so lonely on SEA forum. Nobody wants to play games in Tagalog with me.
Maybe I can even try to learn a Papuan language with you.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2017-12-29, 11:24

vijayjohn wrote:
Goddammit, why doesn't anyone want to learn a Papuan language with me? :doggy: MASSIMILIANOOOOOOOOO!!!

Maybe, after the Powwow, I can try to learn one.

vijayjohn wrote:
No one makes textbooks for Papuan languages. Well, none that I know of, at any rate.

I found a good textbook for Orokaiva here: http://www-01.sil.org/pacific/png/abstract.asp?id=21484
There is a Kapau teaching grammar here: http://www-01.sil.org/pacific/png/show_ ... 8474522738

There are textbooks here (including the Orokaiva and Kapau texts I've mentioned) : http://www-01.sil.org/pacific/png/show_ ... e&code=LLG

However, some of them are for Austronesian languages.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-29, 12:40

vijayjohn wrote:Goddammit, why doesn't anyone want to learn a Papuan language with me? :doggy: MASSIMILIANOOOOOOOOO!!!

Noöne wants to learn any NAILs with me.... :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy:
(Except for Massimiliano :hug: )

Massimiliano B wrote:Maybe, after the Powwow, I can try to learn one.

Oh, the hell Vijay is going to steal you way from me!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-29, 12:46

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-29, 14:51

Irusia wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I'll try to seriously learn Seneca with you if you try to seriously learn Oirata, Teiwa, Waris, Western Dani, or Ternate with me!

And who will learn Tagalog with me? :( I feel so lonely on SEA forum. Nobody wants to play games in Tagalog with me.

What? I'm learning Tagalog, too! (Just not on the SEA forum right now. I'm waiting for next year when I'll start cycling through my TAC languages again).
księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Goddammit, why doesn't anyone want to learn a Papuan language with me? :doggy: MASSIMILIANOOOOOOOOO!!!

Noöne wants to learn any NAILs with me.... :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy:
(Except for Massimiliano :hug: )

I'm totally down for studying Lnuismk and/or Michif with you! I'm okay with other stuff, too, but that just might take some more time. I'm definitely not throwing Seneca away yet, either.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-29, 14:55

"Yet"!?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-29, 14:57

I don't know yet whether adding like 25 supplementary languages will turn out to be unsustainable for my brain or not! :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-29, 15:08

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata - 03 - Large 06-min.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-29, 15:20

B-...but honey! I said right from the get-go that they were only supplemental!! You know I've already entered into a long-term relationship with each of twenty-five languages! Anything more than that has to start with a fling...and then we'll see how it goes from there.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-29, 16:01

ああ、もう!わかったよ! :pff:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”