TAC 2017 - vijayjohn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2017 - vijayjohn

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-23, 4:58

Today, all I managed to do was read a tiny bit more of Chapter 23 from Practical Chinese Reader III.

The rest of this post has basically nothing to do with languages, but it was a pretty busy day. This morning, my dad woke me up and told me my brother and niece would in fact not be coming this morning even though they usually do on Friday mornings. Then I got a haircut this morning, was tongue-tied in Thai (hah...), came back to find that they did come over after all, and took a second shower so I wouldn't have hair falling everywhere. Within about two hours, they had left because my niece is sick and needed to see a doctor, and my cousin came over. I sat around with my parents and cousin for a while; eventually, my brother and niece came back. At some point, I finally decided there wasn't really anything for me to add to the conversation and came back upstairs, only to be called back down within maybe twenty minutes for dinner. I also had very awkward meals today! Lunch was bacon. Just bacon. Dinner was rice, chana dal, eggplant, zucchini, yogurt, and one piece of fried salmon, followed by one thin slice of marzipan Stollen that my cousin had bought from Fredericksburg, a very large glass of milk (this is my usual way of eating dessert, no matter how small. My dad made the same joke he usually makes these days: "You got enough milk there, Vichu?" :)), and two somewhat small pieces of homemade mango halva. I ate some grapes today, too.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-24, 6:39

I finally finished reading Chapter 23 of Practical Chinese Reader III and also read Units 6-7 of Basic Chinese (I always do the exercises at the end of each chapter as well, or at least have been doing this so far).

I just posted a bunch of stuff on Reddit for Hindi and Urdu, but I would like to make two posts on r/hindi as well if possible. Problem is, what do I post? :hmm: I thought of posting some news reports, but...news from India these days is kind of...depressing. Like I just took a look at Google News in Hindi, and it's like everything that isn't probably just taken from English-language media or something is about a) Pakistan, b) Muslims, c) the BJP, d) Bollywood, e) the elite, or f) places in India where Hindi is not spoken. And I feel stupid just posting links to Bollywood movies or something...oh! Maybe I could post links to some really interesting Bollywood movies like Achhut Kanya or Ankur! :o Or I guess I could ask what people are doing for Christmas, but then I'm worried people might be like I'm not celebrating Christmas, you moron! I'm Hindu! (even though my brother's Hindu in-laws do celebrate Christmas) because after all, these are the kinds of people who seem to consider using iskul instead of vidyaalay for 'school' a mistake. :para:

All right, I guess I might as well post some vocab in Swahili, right? Gosh, how on Earth am I going to go through all these languages before January?! Christmas is only two days away! Anyway, the last item on this list is a proverb:

carving = kinyago
cucumbers = matango
broad, wide = -pana
heavy = -zito
kebab = mshikaki
kebabs = mishikaki
corn cob = gunzi
especially = hasa
Ndege means both 'airplane' and 'bird'.
"A wife is clothes; a banana tree, weeding." = Mke ni nguo, mgomba kupalilia.

I should also read at least one recipe each for vibibi (translated in TY Swahili as 'small pancakes') and vitumbua ('rice buns').

Well, that was not so bad! (Now, how I'll remember all these words I've been listing given that I've been adding more and more to the list may turn out to be another matter entirely... :lolhuh: ).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-12-24, 17:55

Not sure if you figured out what to post, but you could always start with "do you celebrate Christmas?" And follow that up with "if you do, what are you doing to celebrate it? " That's something I've been asking people here before I wish them, and then, depending on what they say I wish them "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays". That also should shut the mouths of those who want to say "I'm Hindu so I don't celebrate".
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-24, 18:40

dEhiN wrote:Not sure if you figured out what to post

Nope!

The thing is...there are a lot of Hindu extremists on certain South Asian-specific spaces on Reddit, and IME these are precisely the kinds of people who insist on everyone using Sanskrit neologisms instead of English loanwords everyone else uses. (At least they haven't been particularly mean about it so far...). So I'm afraid I might get a negative reaction if I even mention Christmas. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but at this point, I figure better safe than sorry.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 3:30

I think I can write one post asking where everybody's from. I haven't decided yet what the other post should be. Maybe I could ask them what they think of Shuddh Hindi or of Hindi in general (even though that's a more open-ended question).

Anyway, I just finished reading Chapter 14 of Practical Chinese Reader III and also read Unit 8 of Basic Chinese. That means I have now read more of Basic Chinese than I ever have managed to read, and I'm only one chapter away from finishing off Practical Chinese Reader III and starting the next book in the series, Practical Chinese Reader IV! Next up is Chapter 9 of TY Business French.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 4:50

So I guess I could make those two posts in Hindi. The harder question is what I could post for ASL. :hmm:

Thai is easy (far easier than I'd normally think); I could just post links for Easy Thai and LangMedia. Same for Indonesian. For Tagalog, I could use Easy Tagalog and SEAsite (which hasn't been posted yet, believe it or not!) and maybe save Super Easy Tagalog for later. Everything else can fuck off for now because I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :twisted: Not ASL, though. Hmm...I'm tempted to try going...through LifePrint for inspiration, but I just had an idea. I could complain about numbers. :P I mean, not really complain, but at least be like "I keep forgetting numbers whiny whiny whiny how do y'all sign numbers what regional variation have you seen?" I also thought a little earlier of posting "Fifty Nifty United States" in ASL for no reason other than a) it doesn't seem to be against the rules and b) I posted it in the song game once, but that sounds dumb...I could post some resources for ASL. Or one resource at least.

I could also ask people whether they know any other sign languages (I might've already sort of done that, though, but as long as I don't have a dedicated post for it, well, I could make one!).

Ooh! I could also ask them about regional variation in general, or at least regional variation w.r.t. basic stuff (hi, my name is blah blah, I'm deaf/hearing/whatever, I like my teacher, the alphabet, etc.).

You know what? Fuck it, I just want to learn some stuff in my fun languages!

But maybe I'll save that for tomorrow or something and just try to go to sleep for now.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 17:17

I read Chapter 9 of TY Business French this morning. It's annoying how even though they do list and use a lot of vocabulary, they don't list all their vocabulary, and this is a perfect example! In the dialogue at the beginning of this chapter, they don't translate net, CEE, or litige but do translate clause as 'clause'. :roll: But hey, at least I'm making progress with this book! I think this is the furthest I've ever really come in reading it. It's so much easier for me to read now than back in the day!

Next up on the reading list will be Chapter 15 in Practical Chinese Reader III, to be followed eventually (I certainly hope...) by Chapter 16 in Practical Chinese Reader IV!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 18:54

Hey, Vijay, got a question for you.

Is there an Amazonian language you know of that would be accessible to me (resource wise) and has enough to make it worth my while? (like a lesson book and dictionary or something)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 19:31

Well, there's the Tukano lessons, but that's in Spanish...

OH! I know! There's this.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 19:50

Hmmmm...... I think I'd rather go for something a little more textbooky.....
I have looked around SIL Brazil and found some good pedagogical grammars and what not, but 95% of the time there is not dictionary.....

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 19:56

BEGGARS CAN'T BE CHOOSERS! :hmpf:

More seriously, though, I'm not sure I'm any good at finding textbooks just in general. :P Although you should be able to find some for some languages pretty easily, like I think TY Gujarati and shit.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 20:05

There is an awesome textbook for Ticuna (at SIL Peru, if I remember correctly) that I've been drooling over for years.

But right now I want something off the beaten path. There are two (short) pedagogical grammars for Apurinã and Apinayé, just no texts or glossaries/dictionaries. *sigh*

I've also thought of going through the Jarawara interlinear texts and stuff too.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 20:19

Ticuna isn't off the beaten path? :lol:

Anyway, I'm pretty much willing to take whatever the hell I can get. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 20:27

I'm almost willing to, but there's a point when the lack of resources gets to me.

It's times like this I wish I know Spanish and Portuguese.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 21:31

księżycowy wrote:I'm almost willing to, but there's a point when the lack of resources gets to me.

I think this used to happen to me. Now I just don't care, I guess.
It's times like this I wish I know Spanish and Portuguese.

It's when I see remarks like this I wish people would let me offer to help with Spanish and Portuguese. :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 21:37

Problem is, I have other languages I want to know a ton more than either of those two. So, I'm willing to take what I can get in English. I'm mostly interested in the big names anyway. Nahuatl, Mayan, Quechua. Though I do find myself wanderlusting for the other smaller ones from time to time. Like now. :P

Hell, you're talking to a guy who wanted to refresh his French and learn some Italian, but throw it all away for the languages he's doing now and (hopefully) in the near future. #Priorities.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 21:50

Oh, OK, that makes sense except I thought you kinda hated Romance languages! :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 21:56

Well, I think "hate" is a strong word for the family as a whole. I must admit, I am still interested in French and Italian even now. I just have bigger things to worry about.

For Spanish and Portuguese, I'd hate to say it, but I can easily sleep at night not knowing either.

And thanks, Vijay. You helped talk me out of my wanderlust!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 22:13

I'm glad I could help. :P
księżycowy wrote:For Spanish and Portuguese, I'd hate to say it, but I can easily sleep at night not knowing either.

Don't tell me you actually lose sleep over not knowing Hebrew or Irish or whatever well enough yet! :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 22:24

ALL. THE. TIME.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”