TAC 2017 - vijayjohn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2017 - vijayjohn

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-30, 1:10

よかったねー。

I finished reading "Die Lieblingsspeise der Hyänen" and learned some new words in Krio from Wikipedia (which I might forget since I'm not recording them here, but that's probably just as well since I have quite a few listed and Wikipedia doesn't always seem to agree with my advisor and spells things weirdly sometimes). I'm also listing some more words in Thai from TY just because I really could use the review as well as from Oirata and Teiwa:

Thai

to wait = คอย
a long time = นาน
clear = ชัด
salary = เงินเดือน
reasonable, acceptable = ไช้ได้
from early morning = แต่เช้า
late at night = ดึก
(intensifier) = จังเลย
to spend, waste = เสีย
to feel = รู้สึก
to be a nuisance = แย่
to move = ย้าย
outside Bangkok = ต่างจังหวัด
to be crowded = แน่น
not at all = ไม่...เลย
worthy of = น่า
high = สูง
to order = สั่ง
in that case = ถ้าอย่างนั้น
is fatty, greasy, etc. = มัน
oil = น้ำมัน
oyster sauce = น้ำมันหอย
to receive, take = รับ
fresh-squeezed = คั้น
policeman = ตำรวจ
fruit = ลไม้
cake, dessert = ขนม
to pump = สูบ
to smoke = สูบบุหรี่
to quit = เลิก
to wipe, rake = เขี่ย
ashtray = ที่เขี่ยบุหรี่
(classifier for locations, ashtrays, and some other things) = ที่
wet curry = แกง
dry curry = แพนง
bland, clear soup (broth?) = แกงจืด
bamboo shoot = หน่อไม้
to deep-fry = ทอด
garlic = กระเทียม
Thai chicken fried with garlic and pepper = ไก่ทอดกระเทียมพริกไทย
sweet and sour chicken = ไก่ผัดเปรี้ยวหวาน
to roast, broil, grill = ย่าง
lobster = กุ้งใหญ่
sweet and sour fish = ปลาเปรี้ยวหวาน
spot or non-planetary celestial body = ดาว
fried egg = ไข่ดาว
omelet = ไข่เจียว
stuffed omelet = ไข่ยัดไส้
race = หมู่, hence หมู่บ้าน
Nongkhai = หนองคาย
apart from = นอกจาก
hard, difficult = ยาก, ลำบาก
(right) now = เดี๋ยวนี้
to wash = ล้าง

Oirata

two = ei
three = utu
eight = kapa
ten = ta anauni
twenty = ta ane ene, taanei
one hundred = rauni
to turn = iliare
(Transcribed in IPA)
to walk = [ˈlalarɛ]
road/path = [i'jar]
to swim = [ˈnaʔajɛ]

Teiwa

house = yaf
king = rai, so 'the king's house' = rai gayaf
this (person) = (uy) a
a big fish = xaf uwaad
wounded = yivat [jiˈvɑt̚]
y'all's legs = yifat [jiˈɸɑt̚] ~ [jiˈpɑt̚]
catch me = nafin [ˈnafɪn]
my nose = navinbui [ˌnavɪmˈbui]
(classifier for thin objects) = hala' [ˈhɑlaʔ]
others, unknown people = hala [hɑˈla]

And here's something in Waris because why not?

Bov hellevm yeoa kam, yem kava moa ishomnav.
[bɒβ xəllɛβm jɛɔɑ kɑm | jɛm kɑβɑ mɔɑ isxɔmnɑβ ||].
'Bob, listen to me! I'm telling you something.'

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-30, 7:20

Ye-oa is apparently 2-TOP. Hellevm must mean something like 'listen!'. Ye-m is 2-GOAL, so something like 'to/for you'. Moa apparently means 'talk' (noun or verb? I guess verb, at least here?). Ka-va is 1-TOP. (Actually, maybe moa is a noun, because) ishomnav looks similar to ishó-mana-vna 'speak-BEN.SG-CONTINUOUS'.

I need more stuff in Enindhilyagwa, Nicaraguan Sign Language, Khoekhoe, Kala Lagaw Ya, and Meriam Mir now, not to mention Seneca, Nuu-chah-nulth, Yoruba, Koyra Chiini, and so on and so forth, but maybe I'll worry about all that tomorrow or something. For now, I want to include some new words for Mapudungun below (not bothering with Quechua for now because I have way more in Quechua than Mapudungun):

already(?), just = [ˈθeu]
we arrived = [akuˈiɲ]
which = [ˈt͡ʃut͡ʃi]
our = [jiɲ]
hut = [ˈɻuka]
it, that one, that = [tiˈet͡ʃi]
yellow = [t͡ʃoθ]
dad = [t͡ʃaw]
river = [ˈl̯ewfə]
town, city = [waˈɻija]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-31, 5:12

Shit, I forgot all about Light Warlpiri!! But I just learned that boro in Koyra Chiini means 'person', and shenni means 'language' just like chiini but is not cognate with chiini.

bird = jurlpu
tea = nalija
They're going to catch the bird. = Jurlpu derra catchim.
She's making tea. = Nalija im meikim.
Did you get a card? = Yum garrum card mayi?
I want to = ana
Nuna will put them there. = Nunarra purrum ngulanga.
That bird might bite you. = Irra bite you dat jurlpu.
meat = kuyu
Do you want to have meat? = Yuna habum kuyu mayi?

Back to Koyra Chiini: hin ka means 'to be able to', har means 'man', di means 'the' (like in English!), and har di is apparently pronounced [haddi]. O is an imperfective marker, guna means '(to?) see', woy means 'woman', and doodi means 'there', so har di o guna woy di doodi means 'the man sees the woman there'.

Here are some words in Iwaidja: [ŋaɺ̡uli] 'my foot', [aŋkuli] 'your foot', [ɹuli] 'his foot', [puɾaŋ] 'big', [tuwa] 'just', [kuwa] 'true', and [t͡ɕuɾa] 'paper'. Here are some more in Enindhilyagwa: yindhiyi [jin̪t̪iː] 'oh, I'm sorry!', kardiyi [kaˈʈiː] 'watch out!', vmba [ˈəmpa] 'but', libaliba [lipalipa] 'dugout canoe', lyelyinga [ʎeʎiŋa] 'knife', and kaliwanga [kaliwaŋa] 'sword'. And in Khoekhoe: î 'yes', hi-î 'no', kai aios 'thank you', toxoba 'please', and /khommi 'it's a pity'.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-01, 2:56

Here are some more phrases in Yoruba: ṣó wà dáadáa? (sp?) 'Are you good?' ẹ kâarộọ 'good morning', ẹ kâasán 'good afternoon', and ẹ kâalẹ 'good evening'.

Some from Guinea-Bissau Creole: misti 'to want', montyadur 'hunter', limarya 'animal', mindjer 'woman', plus this part (the beginning) of a story: i tɛŋ ba uŋ kabaalu, uŋ baaka i uŋ sancu. ɛlis i amiigu, ɛ biŋ padi kada kiŋ si fiiju, ɛ ta diisa fiiju na maatu ɛ ta baa fɛfɛri. uŋ dia ɛ ɔja liɔŋ rey d-animal kume sɛ fiiju tuudu trees. ɛ kumsa ta cɔɔra ɛ ta kɛɛsa. 'Once upon a time, there was a horse, a cow, and a monkey. They were friends; each one gave birth to her child, and they used to leave their children in the bush and go foraging. One day, they found out that the lion, the king of the animals, had eaten all three of their children. They began to cry and complain.' For Cape Verdean Creole, I guess I'll just start by studying the chart of dialect differences on the Wikipedia page.

Here are some words in Kala Lagaw Ya: bal 'across, crooked', gamu 'body', riidh(a) 'bone', saamu 'cassowary', thawal(a) 'coast', gabu 'cold(ness)', ùmai 'dog', ngœnakap(u) 'heart', and naigay(i) 'north(east)'. The equivalents in Meriam Mir are: bar, gem, lid, sam, tawer, geb, omái, nerkep, and naiger.

Here's a sentence in Ternate: Toma enagee si jou Ta'ala siguci bahla ge... 'Then, Lord Most High sent the disaster down...' I already covered jou in this TAC. Toma is apparently an oblique form for non-humans. :hmm: Ena- is apparently a prefix for non-humans in the third person. Gee means 'that'. Si means 'first', and Ta'ala means 'Highest'. Siguci apparently means 'cause to descend', but I don't quite understand how the breakdown works because the grammar glosses si-guci as 'Caus-LEN-descend', making it look like two morphemes are being mapped onto three. Bahla means 'disaster', and ge apparently means 'that' again (so then what's the difference between ge and gee? Idk. I guess I'll (hopefully) find out later).

Here's one in Skou: ...rángléngpa, (p)ewáko, rángléngpa.... Rángléng means 'afternoon', -pa apparently means 'until', (p)e- and w- are apparently both markers meaning 'she' or 'her' (basically), á means '(to?) pound', and -ko is an obviate marker, so I guess the lady in this sentence is non-salient in the discourse context where it appears. The sentence means '...until afternoon, she pounds (it) until it's afternoon, and then...'. These words are all pronounced with a falling pitch: [ø] 'ripe (fruit)', [a] 'rope', and [ʊ] 'rotten'. These are pronounced with a low pitch: [ʉˑ] '(to?) marry', [ɔ] '(to?) go seawards', ko [kɔ] 'east', and ku [ko] 'child'. These are pronounced with a high pitch: /ko [ko] 'armband' and /ku [ku] 'dew'.

In Lower Grand Valley Dani: haka'no ~ hakatno 'fix it later', isak 'to cook by steam', hakat 'to fix', hakasin 'you fix it for me now', wet 'to come', wesikin '[singular subject] will come', hakasukun '[plural subject] will fix it later', hakatan 'fix it yourself!', hakatinapin 'you treat them now', pal 'to cut', -la- 'to incur a process', palaka 'it got cut off', and palho 'is cutting it off all the time'.

In Manat: Yaba kan ñid. 'He's drinking.' Kan yaba kan ñid. 'This one's drinking.' Ken vɨ kab aimag. 'It's getting dark.' Inɨn vɨ kab aimag. 'In this one, it's dusk.' Inɨn pɨ means 'This is a house', and means 'house'.

And finally, in Atayal: Slaqiy [slaqəij] ~ hlaqiy [hlaqəij] 'snow', /snonux ~ hnonux/ 'hair on head', [zjaw] ~ [jaw] 'thing', /b(z)iran/ 'to buy something, [mit] ~ [mit͡s] 'sheep, goat', [tminun] ~ [tsminun] 'wave', Atayal [taːjan] 'people', agal [agan] 'to take', galun 'to take something', [ʔuːwij] 'tired', [ʔiːjat] 'not', and [waːjan] 'gone'.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-01, 6:39

How is your brain not exploding from learning so much new vocabulary across so many different languages in a short period of time?! I, personally, love the idea of doing multiple languages simultaneously, and I eventually want to be able to juggle a lot (like you), but I know the last time I tried starting multiple languages simultaneously, I kept it up for like a month and had to stop. Mind you that was back in 2014 and I've had 3 more years of practice (studying languages), but still. I don't know if I could start 10+ languages simultaneously and not experience major memory and concentration issues.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-01, 6:45

dEhiN wrote:How is your brain not exploding from learning so much new vocabulary across so many different languages in a short period of time?!

By not learning them! :D (At least if you mean the last post I wrote in this TAC). I just listed them. I haven't actually learned them yet! (In fact, I just found them while I was writing that post).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-01, 6:50

Ohhhhh, so basically you're listing out words you come across on here, whereas I, for example, write new vocabulary out in my notebook (and then later transfer to Anki so I can learn them)? Do you plan to try and learn all these words?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-01, 6:54

dEhiN wrote:Ohhhhh, so basically you're listing out words you come across on here, whereas I, for example, write new vocabulary out in my notebook (and then later transfer to Anki so I can learn them)?

Yes. (At least, that was what I was doing...last year. :twisted: Now that it's a new year, I probably won't keep doing that, since that was just a quick TAC run without posting anything on the language-specific forums except for the Powwow).
Do you plan to try and learn all these words?

Well, all the languages in that post are my "supplementary languages," so they'll have to be secondary to my main TAC languages. If the supplementary languages end up overwhelming me or whatever, I'll have to drop them for the time being (sorry, księżycowy!), but eh, it shouldn't be too big of a deal (well, except maybe for him :wicked:). I'm learning quite a few languages as it is anyway. :P I probably won't have much time for them in a few months anyway since I'll be going back to work.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-01, 10:17

I see no reason to drop Seneca. I don't give a shit about the rest.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-01, 17:07

I give an almost equal shit about all of them, although I will confess that Seneca does hold a somewhat special place since you're learning it, too. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-01, 17:17

Are you toying with me right now?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-01, 18:14

Why would I be toying with you, hon? :whistle:

Although that does remind me of this. :lol:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”