TAC 2017 - vijayjohn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2017 - vijayjohn

Postby OldBoring » 2017-09-16, 13:03

I don't exist. I'm dead.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-16, 14:26

All the more reason to join Whatsapp! Then you could bug OB all the time, even while he's at work! :D
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-09-16, 17:08

Osias wrote:We do that all the time in Brazil. We say DNA instead of ADN, AIDS instead of SIDA, even USA sometimes.

Also "TERF"
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-16, 20:43

dEhiN wrote:All the more reason to join Whatsapp! Then you could bug OB all the time, even while he's at work! :D

Lol I don't need to bug him all the time. I just need someone to fix my Chinese. :twisted:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2017-09-17, 8:37

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:All the more reason to join Whatsapp! Then you could bug OB all the time, even while he's at work! :D

Lol I don't need to bug him all the time. I just need someone to fix my Chinese. :twisted:

If you need a smartphone to use Whatsapp, come buy one at P. V******, 149 - Rome.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-09-17, 9:51

vijayjohn wrote:
► Show Spoiler

:shock: How can you manage so many languages? What is your learning routine?
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-17, 16:13

Oh, I've been doing this every time for like...two three years at least. The latest additions to my TAC were Arabic and Amharic at the beginning of this year. :) I post in one language at a time.

And I don't have a learning routine. Or at least, not one that I really keep track of. :P I pretty much just learn stuff whenever I feel like it or whenever the opportunity presents itself.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-20, 15:19

vijayjohn wrote:And I don't have a learning routine. Or at least, not one that I really keep track of. :P I pretty much just learn stuff whenever I feel like it or whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I actually have been meaning to ask you: so when you've moved onto another language, do you still, if the opportunity presents itself, learn stuff in the other languages including the one(s) you just finished? I know that you go through your TAC language list by basically posting stuff on UL in whatever the language is you're on at that moment. And I guess you also review various learning materials for the languages that you're not so good in? But say you're on Micmac, do you then say "ok I'm only learning stuff for Micmac" and ignore anything in any other language you might come across?
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-20, 16:13

dEhiN wrote:I actually have been meaning to ask you: so when you've moved onto another language, do you still, if the opportunity presents itself, learn stuff in the other languages including the one(s) you just finished?

Yep!
I know that you go through your TAC language list by basically posting stuff on UL in whatever the language is you're on at that moment. And I guess you also review various learning materials for the languages that you're not so good in? But say you're on Micmac, do you then say "ok I'm only learning stuff for Micmac" and ignore anything in any other language you might come across?

No. I don't ignore other languages at all; I just study whatever I can whenever I get a chance.

I've always felt that I was terrible at making plans, but I think I'm starting to see that the reality is just that other people around me also make plans that conflict with a lot of plans I think of making, which frustrates me all too easily (not that it's their fault, though). Language-learning is no exception; there are other things I have to do in life, too, like look for a job or make dinner or whatever (or bigger things like work or grad school, which can eat away at my whole day), which necessarily means I rarely get as much time for learning languages as I might like. The more my language-learning is interrupted by other things, the less I study them. Yet I'm still in an environment that's honestly always been fairly supportive of me learning languages, and I've been doing it for a very long time and finding it incredibly rewarding, so I just keep doing it because it's fun and relaxing for me.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-26, 18:32

I guess I should be updating this thing, right? :whistle:

So here we go!
► Show Spoiler

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-09-26, 21:28

I've been meaning to ask this for ever, but I'm curious, considering how huge your list is, how well do you remember things for your languages?
How well do you keep things straight? How often do you find yourself going over a particular language in, let's say, a month and how much do you cover?
A while back I tried learning a bunch of languages (hell, I still get the urge every so often :whistle: ), but I couldn't even begin to think about touching that number. I find keeping three straight hard enough at the moment. :P

I'm sure you get asked this a lot, and have probably answered it before on Unilang, but whatevs. :twisted:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-26, 22:46

I actually don't get asked that all that often and don't mind the question. What I do mind, though, is the fact that I don't really know the answer because I never really keep track of these things! :lol:

The funny thing is, I actually have a really shitty memory, just in general. There's a whole ton of words in Malayalam, for example, that I learned recently when translating my grandfather's World War II memoirs, and yet I've probably forgotten 80% of them already. Hell, I even have trouble forming simple sentences in Malayalam sometimes, and I speak it every damn day! But to a large extent, I just don't care because what's the point stewing over that? I won't get anywhere if I just sit here worrying about it. But if I am bothered enough about something to try to do something about it, then I repeat things to myself as many times as I need to, I look up the etymologies of words so I can find connections with other words (often in other languages) I'm more familiar with, I quiz myself over stuff, I make up silly, far-fetched mnemonics (seriously, have you seen how I memorize 1-10 in Mapudungun??), cartoons, drawings, plays, and/or stories, and/or just stew over whatever I'm trying to remember for so long I can't possibly forget it anymore for a while. :P

Oh, and of course, if I manage to practice some of my languages, there's that, too.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-27, 2:20

vijayjohn wrote:Oh, and of course, if I manage to practice some of my languages, there's that, too.

I love the after thought nature of this sentence! :silly: :rotfl:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-27, 2:41

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Oh, and of course, if I manage to practice some of my languages, there's that, too.

I love the after thought nature of this sentence! :silly: :rotfl:

Yeah, I actually had to edit my post to add that in. I wrote about all these other things and then forgot about how I've been using Reddit to practice my languages on a near-daily basis lately. :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-09-27, 14:55

That answer.....I expected nothing less from you, Vijay. :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-27, 15:12

Well, I'm glad at least I didn't disappoint! :D

Normally, I'd try to go through my languages as quickly as possible, but I've been kind of deliberately stalling in the Arabic forum because...I guess just because so many people hang out there and have such interesting discussions, plus it's a language I don't already know pretty well? :P And once I move on to all these African languages, no one will join me except maybe to play word association or whatever if I'm lucky! Then I can move on to Hindi/Urdu where there's a chance that most of the people I end up leaving behind in the Arabic forum will rejoin me. :) And then I'll be aaaaall alone all over again because no one else is learning any indigenous languages spoken anywhere between Thailand and Nova Scotia. :doggy:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-09-27, 15:44

I'd still love to revisit some NAILs myself, but that's going to take somewhere between a long while and never.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-27, 16:26

Yeah, in all seriousness, it's great to see you constantly making progress with Japanese, Irish, and Biblical Hebrew! :) (My latest tongue-in-cheek comment on your TAC notwithstanding :lol:).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-09-27, 16:42

はい、素晴らしいです!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-27, 16:45

Someday, I should learn all of those languages. Someday! :D

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”