TAC 2017 - Antea (Russian, German, Arabic, Hindi)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Antea
Re: TAC 2017 - Antea (Russian, German, Arabic, Hindi)

Postby Antea » 2017-05-17, 21:00

voron wrote:
It looks like my Syrian dialect is getting better than my MSA though - I actually talked to people a few times in Syrian and it was bearable, and I seem to understand TV shows in Syrian better than I understand anything in MSA. But I want to know MSA too. :para:

Don't worry. I only can understand MSA, and of course, I don't have such a wide vocabulary. When I read, it's still very difficult. But surprisingly I think that my level of listening is improving :hmm:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-18, 3:29

Antea wrote:Do I really have to explain why I study languages even here? I am so tired to always have to explain why I study this one, or this other. I just like it. It's that so weird? :cry:

That's not weird at all. Probably every single person on here, or at least most on here, have a history of starting many languages. Over the years they may have dropped ones or something, but we all, after all, are language enthusiasts who enjoy language learning itself. So, don't worry about what anyone else says. Plus, like Vijay said, any comments made about being crazy by the regulars on here are more than likely made in jest. I read Ipse's initial question as just curiosity about how you're juggling what most language learners consider "big" languages - ones that take a lot of time.

Also, whenever some asks me how I do X without going crazy, I don't think that they mean I'm crazy as in I need a straight jacket. I see the question as meaning how do I manage or handle X without being maybe overwhelmed or feeling mentally fatigued.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-05-18, 7:31

dEhiN wrote:That's not weird at all. Probably every single person on here, or at least most on here, have a history of starting many languages.

It's all forgotten, now. I think it was all a misunderstanding :wink:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-07-14, 16:49

Time for an update!

[flag=]ar[/flag] So, since January I have been concentrating pretty much on Arabic. I have watched lots of YouTubers videos, and I think I can understand them (or at least the big picture of what they're talking about). But it depends also of which dialect they are speaking, or if they are speaking a more "standard" Arabic. Unfortunately, films or series are still very difficult for me (I don't know if that's because they speak in slang, besides of the dialect :hmm: ), and I always need the subtitles.

Anyway, I can't deny that my level is now much better than before, and that's OK. During holidays, I would like to maintain the level, by watching or listening to audio material, at least once per day.

[flag=]hi[/flag] I am now refreshing Hindi. It has been a long time since I did something in that language, and I am trying to remember basic stuff, like verb conjugation and how to make simple sentences. It's hard, because now all the vocabulary I can think of, is in Arabic :roll: (and I hope I will not lose it).

Because everybody says that watching Bollywood films is very useful to learn vocabulary, I have tried to watch one today. But I find it very difficult. All I can do is read the subtitles. I cannot pick still any vocabulary. I only can recognise the grammatical sentences structure, but without the meaning :hmm: . I suppose I need more time, because I am still at very basic level (maybe A2).

Anyway, I always have problems with placing myself on a level.

[flag=]ru[/flag] In Russian, I just listen to things that I am interested in, or read through the internet. Just maintaining my level of understanding, and trying not to lose vocabulary.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-17, 2:45

Antea wrote:I have watched lots of YouTuber's videos

The most common ways I've seen/heard people refer to videos on Youtube are: YouTube videos and YouTubers.The phrase YouTuber videos also works grammatically but it is much less common. I would classify what you said, with the possessive 's, in the same category as YouTuber videos - it works grammatically but is less common.

But it depends also onf which dialect they are speaking

We say "depends on", not "depends of".

I don't know if that's because they speak in slang, besides of the dialect

You can just say "besides X"; "besides of" doesn't really work in standard English variants, although I think some dialects might use it. Another way to say what you wanted to say would be to use "instead of" or "in addition to".

that's OK

It's much more common to write "ok" in small letters, and only capitalise the first "o" when at the beginning of the sentence. I think part of the reason is that "ok" is such a common word, but part of it is also because "OK" in all caps could mean that you want to emphasize that word. One way to read your sentence is that you think your increased level is only ok - it's not that great but it's not that bad either.

During the holidays, I would like to maintain the my level

Based on the context and the rest of the sentence, I assumed you're referring to a specific set of holidays that are coming up. If that's not the case, then I would say "during holidays, I like to maintain...". Also, while you are referring to a specific level, so normally "the level" works, in this case because you're talking about your level, it sounds better to say "my level".

since I did something in that language

You could also say "anything". I would probably write "anything" but that's a personal preference. For me, I see "any(thing" as being broader and so more inclusive than "some(thing)".

It's hard, because now all the vocabulary I can think of, is in Arabic

I have tried to watch one today

The perfect aspect isn't needed in this case. You are referring to just one event in the past. If you were referring to two events, and one even occurred (or is occurring, or will occur) before the other, then you would need to use the perfect aspect.

But I find found it very difficult

You are referring to a situation in the past, so it sounds better to keep this sentence as well in the past.

I still cannot pick out still any vocabulary.

The phrasal verb "pick out" works better, I think, in this case. For me, "to pick out" conveys the idea that there is a finite set of choices and you are selecting one choice out of that set. Whereas "to pick" doesn't have that idea. So we tend to say "pick out" for songs/movies/tv shows/etc. For example,"I can't pick out the words".

grammatical sentences structures

In this case "sentence structure" is (iirc) the full noun.

because I am still at a very basic level

Anyway, I always have problems with placing myself on at a level.

It's more idiomatic to say "place myself at X" when X is an abstract thing. If you are referring to a specific location, then sometimes we say "place myself on top of". For example, "place myself at the scene of a crime", "place myself at the building (entrance)" but "place myself on top of the building". Of course that's not always the case, because we will say "place myself on the 5th floor". Another way you could say what you said would be "...with figuring out / deciding / determining my level".

read through on the internet
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-07-19, 8:54

dEhiN wrote:The most common ways I've seen/heard people refer to videos on Youtube are: YouTube videos and YouTubers.The phrase YouTuber videos also works grammatically but it is much less common. I would classify what you said, with the possessive 's, in the same category as YouTuber videos - it works grammatically but is less common.

Thanks for the corrections, David :D .

Today, I am feeling a little bit frustrated with my language learning. I feel like I am not doing enough, and I have this feeling that I am progressing very slowly. :hmm:

Anyway, now I am reviewing mostly Hindi (almost from scratch), and considering maybe starting or "re-starting" Italian :whistle: .

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-07-19, 8:55

Antea wrote:Today, I am feeling a little bit frustrated with my language learning. I feel like I am not doing enough, and I have this feeling that I am progressing very slowly.

That's how I feel with Arabic all the time. :headbang:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-19, 9:17

voron wrote:
Antea wrote:Today, I am feeling a little bit frustrated with my language learning. I feel like I am not doing enough, and I have this feeling that I am progressing very slowly.

That's how I feel with Arabic all the time. :headbang:

Lately I've been feeling that way with French. However, several minutes ago I was listening to some French covers on Youtube and realized that I could pick out individual words a lot better than I used to be able to. So I guess progress is sometimes slow, but as long as there is progress it's better than nothing at all!

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-08-05, 18:30

[flag=]ur[/flag] I am shifting slowly from Hindi to Urdu. That's because of many logical reasons such as, I better understand Urdu because they use more Arabic words when they speak. For the moment, I am trying to watch to audio material in both languages, but I find that although my level is still very basic at both, in Urdu I can pick some English as well as some Arabic words, and that helps a lot to understand basically what's going on.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-05, 21:52

Antea wrote:[flag=]ur[/flag] I am shifting slowly from Hindi to Urdu. That's because of many logical reasons such as, I better understand Urdu because they use more Arabic words when they speak. For the moment, I am trying to watch to audio material in both languages, but I find that although my level is still very basic at both, in Urdu I can pick some English as well as some Arabic words, and that helps a lot to understand basically what's going on.

That's really good. And since Urdu and Hindi have essentially the same base, I imagine it won't be too hard to learn specific Hindi vocabulary later on down the road.

Edit: So does that mean you're stopping Devanagari and learning the Perso-Arabic script specific to Urdu? I guess since you would already probably know the Perso-Arabic script for MSA, it's not that difficult to learn the slight differences used in Urdu?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-05, 22:05

Antea wrote:[flag=]ur[/flag] I am shifting slowly from Hindi to Urdu. That's because of many logical reasons such as, I

I would say such as the fact that I.
better understand Urdu better because they (who? -> Urdu-speakers) use more Arabic words when they speak. For the moment, I am trying to watch to audio material in both languages

You mean trying to switch to audio material in both languages? Or perhaps for both languages, if you mean audio material for learning them.
but I find that although my level is still very basic at in both, in Urdu. I can pick out

I would say make out here.
some English as well as some Arabic words, and that helps a lot to understand basically what's going on.

Honestly, it sounds to me like the kind of Hindi you've been learning is something almost no one actually speaks. :hmm: (Not that that's surprising, though - learning materials for Hindi and Urdu don't necessarily teach you the sort of language that's practical, unfortunately. To be fair, that's also a difficult problem to resolve in some ways). When it comes to the language the average person actually speaks on the street at least, Hindi and Urdu are the same thing.
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2017-08-06, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-05, 23:47

Antea wrote:[flag=]ur[/flag] I am shifting slowly from Hindi to Urdu. That's because of many logical reasons such as, I better understand Urdu because they use more Arabic words when they speak. For the moment, I am trying to watch to audio material in both languages, but I find that although my level is still very basic at both, in Urdu I can pick some English as well as some Arabic words, and that helps a lot to understand basically what's going on.
Legal! Estou quase wanderlusteando Urdu de novo por causa desse seu post. Quase.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-08-06, 13:49

Yeah I think most spoken Hindi is actually closer to so-called "pure Urdu" than so-called "pure Hindi", at least in their more extreme forms. You'll hear the occasional Sanksritism filter down to colloquial speech but there's more Perso-Arabic vocabulary overall.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-06, 20:01

^ I totally agree.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-08-09, 18:07

Ok, I suppose you are right and the vocabulary is pretty much the same in Hindi as in Urdu. But the thing is that when I am looking for the translation of a word, like for example "literature", when it comes to Hindi, the answer is साहित्य, and when I look it up in Urdu, the answer is ادب

The difference is important for me, because I noticed that I can use a large number of words that I already know in Arabic (in comparison to none in Hindi), but I don't know if they really exist in Hindi, whereas in Urdu, I feel that the probabilities are bigger. I don't know. The question I have is the following: could all the words of Arabic origine that are used in Urdu, be also used in Hindi? Do they also exist in Hindi vocabulary?

In relation with the audio material I am using, it mainly consist of Bollywood films, and the TV news. I think they are not very adequate, because the TV news in Hindi are very difficult. And Bollywood films last almost 3 hours, and I always end up crying, because it's always a drama :roll: .

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-09, 18:25

Antea wrote:Ok, I suppose you are right and the vocabulary is pretty much the same in Hindi as in Urdu. But the thing is that when I am looking for the translation of a word, like for example "literature", when it comes to Hindi, the answer is साहित्य, and when I look it up in Urdu, the answer is ادب

This is an area of particular divergence. It's the same with Panjabi: Muslim authors writing in Arabic script use completely different terminology than Sikhs or Hindus writing in Gurmukhi. But on other topics, the differences are less striking (unless it's rather high-register officialese).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-09, 18:36

Antea wrote:The question I have is the following: could all the words of Arabic origine that are used in Urdu, be also be used in Hindi? Do they also exist in Hindi vocabulary?

I would omit "vocabulary."

Yes, generally, I find that to be the case.
I think they are not very adequate, because the TV news in Hindi are very difficult.

And not very representative of the way most Hindi-speakers actually talk.
And Bollywood films last almost 3 hours, and I always end up crying, because it's always a drama :roll: .

Hmm, maybe I can recommend you some Bollywood movies that aren't so dramatic! (Like Lagaan and Chupke Chupke)

Oh! And there's also this Pakistani TV series! (No subtitles though, sorry)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMsSfxdd0zY
And this and this.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-08-22, 13:44

Antea wrote:The question I have is the following: could all the words of Arabic origine that are used in Urdu, be also used in Hindi? Do they also exist in Hindi vocabulary?

It depends on the word. Sawaal (question), jawaab (answer), lekin (but), waqt (time) and dimaag (mind) are ubiquitous. However, I couldn't imagine many Hindi speakers saying mausiqi (music), qawaa'id (grammar), taareekh (history), jumhooriyat (republic), intiqaal (transfer; used with the verb ho jana to mean "deceased"), buddhmat (Buddhism) or taalib ilm (student).

IMO the register differences in vocabulary are the hardest part about Hindi-Urdu, besides the cultural differences (including pragmatics and body language).

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-08-22, 15:05

Saim wrote:
Antea wrote:The question I have is the following: could all the words of Arabic origine that are used in Urdu, be also used in Hindi? Do they also exist in Hindi vocabulary?

It depends on the word. Sawaal (question), jawaab (answer), lekin (but), waqt (time) and dimaag (mind) are ubiquitous. However, I couldn't imagine many Hindi speakers saying mausiqi (music), qawaa'id (grammar), taareekh (history), jumhooriyat (republic), intiqaal (transfer; used with the verb ho jana to mean "deceased"), buddhmat (Buddhism) or taalib ilm (student).

IMO the register differences in vocabulary are the hardest part about Hindi-Urdu, besides the cultural differences (including pragmatics and body language).

Thanks, that's what I thougt.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-22, 15:59

Saim wrote:taareekh (history)

I think I've seen this in Hindi before.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”