TAC 2017 - Antea (Russian, German, Arabic, Hindi)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Saim
Re: TAC 2017 - Antea (Russian, German, Arabic, Hindi)

Postby Saim » 2017-08-22, 16:39

vijayjohn wrote:
Saim wrote:taareekh (history)

I think I've seen this in Hindi before.

AFAIK taareekh means "date" in Hindi, whereas "history" would be itihaas. In Urdu taareekh has both meanings.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-22, 17:07

Saim wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
Saim wrote:taareekh (history)

I think I've seen this in Hindi before.

AFAIK taareekh means "date" in Hindi, whereas "history" would be itihaas. In Urdu taareekh has both meanings.

Huh, I thought it meant both in Hindi, too, but I looked it up, and...I guess not? :hmm:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-09-30, 7:07

It's time for an update, although I don't know if things have changed really much since last time.

(ar) I am still mainly learning Arabic. I think it's the language I have spent most time on this year. Though I only speak Fussha. This means that I am improving my listening comprehension and that I can follow some interesting programs on youtube channels, when they speak in a neutral Arabic. I suppose my next goal is to read novels or small books, because for the moment I only can read some texts and magazine articles. And I think this could really improve and extend my vocabulary.

(ru) (de) I am just listening programs and music in these languages, so just maintaining my passive skills.

(ur) I am restarting, and reviewing some basic stuff I had forgotten. I am still at a beginner level. And my Arabic vocabulary is constantly mixing.

(fi) I could not resist my wanderlusting anymore, so I have started with Finnish. I don't know if I will keep on, or if this would just be temporary. Anyway, I am trying. Maybe it would be part of my new TAC for 2018 :hmm:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-30, 15:07

Antea wrote:things have changed really much

I'm not sure if "really much" is possible. It sounds off to my ears. To intensify "much" I generally say "that much", or "a lot" as a synonymous phrase.

I am just listening to programs and music in these languages, so just maintaining my passive skills.

Remember that we usually say "to hear something" and "to listen to something". Because of this, I've struggled with écouter or escutar, always wanting to add a preposition afterward!

(fi) I could not resist my wanderlusting anymore, so I have started with Finnish. I don't know if I will keep on, or if this would just be temporary. Anyway, I am trying. Maybe it would be part of my new TAC for 2018 :hmm:

What are you using to learn Finnish?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-09-30, 16:07

dEhiN wrote:

I'm not sure if "really much" is possible. It sounds off to my ears. To intensify "much" I generally say "that much", or "a lot" as a synonymous phrase.

"have really changed much"

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-10-01, 4:57

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Thanks, not sure why I didn't think about that!
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-10-01, 11:26

No problem. :wink:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-10-08, 18:58

dEhiN wrote:

I am just listening to programs and music in these languages, so just maintaining my passive skills.

Remember that we usually say "to hear something" and "to listen to something". Because of this, I've struggled with écouter or escutar, always wanting to add a preposition afterward!

What are you using to learn Finnish?

Thanks for your corrections :D

I am using " Le finnois sans peine " d'Assimil. But the truth is that I am not concentrating very much, with all the things going on at the moment.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-10-08, 19:07

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-10-08, 22:16

księżycowy wrote:No problem. :wink:

Yes, I'm re-using this post. I'm lazy. Lol

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-10-15, 9:10

(ar) This weekend I have been watching some documentaries in Arabic and some Arabic programs. And I have to say that I feel I understand much better now. Of course, I know it's Standard Arabic, and of course I don't understand 100 percent, but I think that my vocabulary has increased now, and it allows me to understand better.

(ru) (de) Also watching a lot of videos in both languages, and understanding them, which is good. Of course, my writing level is another story :whistle:

(ur) Trying to keep on going (among so many Arabic :roll: ). Constructing simple sentences, gathering basic vocabulary, listening to songs, and still fighting with verbal tenses. When I listen to videos or news, I just pick out single words. I would like to reach at the least the same level of understanding that I have in the others, but I am still far away.

Edit: I am already thinking in the content of my TAC for the following year :ohwell:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-10-15, 10:00

Antea wrote:Of course, I know it's Standard Arabic, and of course I don't understand 100 percent, but I think that my vocabulary has increased now, and it allows me to understand more.

I'm kinda wavering here. I wouldn't say that "better" is the best choice, but it wasn't all the bad either. Maybe another native can help me out here. :P

That's also one heck of a run-on sentence. I'd suggest spitting it into more than one sentence.

Trying to keep on going (among so much Arabic :roll: ).

I don't like among here. It make it sound like there is more than one "Arabic." (And I'm not taking Fusha vs dialects here either. :P ) Among is generally used for a group of things or people, not for one thing. I'd say something like, "surrounded by so much Arabic."

Edit: I am already thinking in the content of my TAC for the following year :ohwell:

So am I, honestly. Nothing wrong with it. :D

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-10-15, 10:17

księżycowy wrote:

So am I, honestly. Nothing wrong with it. :D

Thanks for your corrections.

I have been taking a look at Turkish, but its grammar it's pretty scary :hmm:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-10-15, 16:22

księżycowy wrote:
Antea wrote:Of course, I know it's Standard Arabic, and of course I don't understand 100 percent, but I think that my vocabulary has increased now, and it allows me to understand more.

I'm kinda wavering here. I wouldn't say that "better" is the best choice, but it wasn't all the bad either. Maybe another native can help me out here. :P

I think both work ok. This could be personal preference, but I think I would naturally use "more" with "vocabulary" as the subject, and "better" with a more active sentence: I think that my vocabulary has increased now, and I can understand better.

księżycowy wrote:That's also one heck of a run-on sentence. I'd suggest spitting it into more than one sentence.

Are you being Microsoft Word, now? ;) :D Yeah it is a bit of a long sentence, but I've seen and probably written longer!

księżycowy wrote:
Trying to keep on going (among so much Arabic :roll: ).

I don't like among here. It make it sound like there is more than one "Arabic." (And I'm not taking Fusha vs dialects here either. :P ) Among is generally used for a group of things or people, not for one thing. I'd say something like, "surrounded by so much Arabic."

Or you could use the word "amidst": amidst so much Arabic. Antea, remember that we use much with uncountable nouns, and languages are uncountable nouns. Many is used with countable nouns.

Antea wrote:I have been taking a look at Turkish, but its grammar it's pretty scary :hmm:

Nothing wrong with a little agglutination! ;) :D I just wish agglutinative languages came with a list of all affixes and what they mean! But if you do Turkish, you can definitely get a lot of help here. Elaine is a native Turkish speaker. Voron knows a lot of Turkish. And I believe Vijay also is pretty good at Turkish.

Edit: There's even a Turkish UL Skype group.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-10-15, 18:01

I AM Microsoft word!

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-10-15, 20:53

Antea wrote:I have been taking a look at Turkish, but its grammar it's pretty scary :hmm:

I'm here on UniLang to answer all your questions. Turkish may be tricky, it may have some declensional and conjugational irregularities, but I'm sure you will have fun learning my native language! :)

dEhiN wrote:Nothing wrong with a little agglutination! ;) :D I just wish agglutinative languages came with a list of all affixes and what they mean! But if you do Turkish, you can definitely get a lot of help here. Elaine is a native Turkish speaker. Voron knows a lot of Turkish. And I believe Vijay also is pretty good at Turkish.

Edit: There's even a Turkish UL Skype group.

I no longer use Skype, but I can help Turkish learners with all the irregularities Turkish has got. I think Vijay is more like an intermediate speaker. Voron speaks Turkish very well (because I met him irl in 2014).
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-10-16, 3:07

Elaine wrote:I no longer use Skype

So I take it that Skype group is pretty much dead?! That's a shame.

I actually briefly got re-interested in Turkish over the summer because I had started a band and the other guitarist was a Turkish guy who was over here on a student visa. He tried convincing me to move to Turkey, saying that as an English teacher I could live pretty well! Unfortunately his visa expired, so he's back in Turkey, though I think he's hoping to apply for a new one. But while he was here, when I hung out with him and the other Turkish friends he had made, I would try the few greetings I used to know. One of these days I would like to properly learn Turkish.

Voron speaks Turkish very well (because I met him irl in 2014).

I wish I could meet a Unilanger irl. I do live in the same city as one of the semi-regulars on here, but we've never met up. And the regulars on here that I am closer with all live in different countries! :(

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-16, 3:37

dEhiN wrote:
Elaine wrote:I no longer use Skype

So I take it that Skype group is pretty much dead?! That's a shame.

That Skype group was dead ages ago. In fact, I don't think I ever saw a time when it was alive. :lol:
I wish I could meet a Unilanger irl. I do live in the same city as one of the semi-regulars on here, but we've never met up. And the regulars on here that I am closer with all live in different countries! :(

Also, said semi-regular hasn't posted anything in about a month and a half at this point. Too bad since I was always hoping to meet both of you on the same trip and kill two birds with one stone!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-10-16, 3:56

vijayjohn wrote:Also, said semi-regular hasn't posted anything in about a month and a half at this point. Too bad since I was always hoping to meet both of you on the same trip and kill two birds with one stone!

That's still possible, though chances are you might have to come up here to do that. I'm sure despite him not having posted anything, if you were making plans for a TO trip, and you messaged him, you could set up something. Should that ever happen, who knows, maybe he and I will finally meet in person as well! :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-16, 4:14

dEhiN wrote:I'm sure despite him not having posted anything, if you were making plans for a TO trip, and you messaged him, you could set up something.

Given how often a lot of people on this forum have admitted to suffering from depression, especially combined with the fact that he's said he wants to become a doctor eventually, I'm not so sure about that.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”