TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-18, 0:16

dEhiN wrote:What are you using for OE?

See the study group for further discussion.

Which language(s) are you doing - Cayuga?

Ęhęˀ, aygadewayę:sdǫh. Dęsnahsǫ:dęˀ? :)

How different is Aleut from Greenlandic?

You tell me:
https://www.uaf.edu/anlc/resources/phrases/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo%E2 ... comparison

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-18, 4:05

księżycowy wrote:
How different is Aleut from Greenlandic?

You tell me:
https://www.uaf.edu/anlc/resources/phrases/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo%E2 ... comparison

So, quite different then?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-18, 9:49

That's my impression, yes

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-19, 0:04

Can I interest you any in some Turkmen, dEhiN? :whistle:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-19, 2:43

I finished Leçon 3 for French.

French
  • Watch Leçon 3 of "French in Action"
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 8 of தமிழ் பாடநூல்
  • Write out the new vocab from Tamil Study Group post in language notebook
Sumerian
  • Go through first half of Section 2.2 "Vowels and vowel harmonies" (pp. 29 - 30) of An Introduction to the Grammar of Sumerian
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-19, 3:09

Weekly Goals

French
  • Watch Leçon 4 of "French in Action" - due by Nov 24
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 9 of தமிழ் பாடநூல் - due by Nov 24
Spanish
  • Watch Episode #2 of "Destinos" - due by 11/24
Japanese
  • Go through みんなのにほんご and the Japanese Study Group explanations to understand the resource - due by Nov 19
  • Go through lesson 1 of "みんなのにほんご" - due by 11/24
Indonesian
  • Go through the section Pra Pengajaran (pp. 12-23) of "Tingkat A-1" - due by 11/24
  • Write out new vocabulary in my language notebook - due by 11/24
Swedish
  • Go through (read and listen to) Chapter 1, Text 1 and Vocabulary (pp. 20-22) of "Colloquial Swedish" - due by 11/24
Coptic
  • Go through Introduction (pp. 7-17) of "Introduction to Sahidic Coptic" - due by 12/2
Old English
  • Go through "How to Use this Guide" (pp. 1-7) and Part 1, §1-9 (pp. 11-15) of "A Guide to Old English" - due by 12/3

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-19, 3:13

(I split the above post into two because it was quite long.)

There's nothing for Sumerian because I'm ahead of the study group and so have already finished this week's assignment. The Old English and Coptic groups are going with biweekly assignments, which is nice in some ways. However, it also means I will have to figure out my own pacing to split up 23 pages (in total) across 2 weeks. For Indonesian, the book we are using is a monolingual one, so it might require more work on my part as opposed to just reading some pages or even reading some pages and writing out some vocabulary in my notebook. The book does seem pretty simple, but I will need to probably look up almost every single word - at least for the explanations. The second goal for Indonesian - to write out the new vocab - is a given and in some ways doesn't need to be added. For example, when I go through each lesson for Tamil, I write out any new vocab or grammar points in my notebook. I will do the same for Swedish, as well as for Coptic and Old English - although I suspect for these two languages, it will mostly be alphabet and/or phonology stuff. But I still feel more comfortable including it as a second goal for Indonesian. For Swedish, I haven't really heard back from either Vijay or Antea (who both expressed interest in resurrecting the group with me) about the pacing they want to take. So I am creating my own pacing of breaking each chapter (which consist of 12+ pages) into smaller sections. I have also decided not to start anything with Tagalog for this week, though I will try to take a look at the resource we'll be using. The same goes for Turkish; I need to pick a resource since I'll be working on my own because those who are in the Turkish Study Group are ahead of me. Of course, I will be able to post my progress and ask questions and such. But I'm leaving the picking of a resource until perhaps next week.

Finally, this is a lot I have planned for this week! So I am prioritizing across 4 (or possibly 5) tiers. My top tier will be Tamil, French and Spanish. My second tier will be Sumerian and Japanese. My third tier will be Coptic and Old English. My fourth tier will be Indonesian and Swedish. And I might make Tagalog and Turkish a fifth tier, or add them to the fourth tier. My focus will be firstly to my top tier, then my second tier, etc.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-19, 3:18

księżycowy wrote:Can I interest you any in some Turkmen, dEhiN? :whistle:

Over Turkish? Possibly...I'm not committed to Turkish, although I did attempt it in the past. I've never heard what Turkmen sounds like. What resource were you thinking to use for it?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-19, 10:03

Check out the Turkic subforum. I already started a study group. :P

Im using two resources, one online and another that I bought years ago.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-19, 17:16

I think I'm going to not take on Turkmen or Turkish right now. I still want to see if I can add Tagalog to my mix, but I was perusing the Turkmen materials and it just felt like a lot to add in on top of everything else I'm wanting to do. I feel the same goes for Turkish.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-19, 17:30

It might seem like a lot (it has readings in the first lesson), but it's actually not that much work. This is my first time actually working through the lesson, and it took my 30mins tops.

It's mostly just recognizing country names, how to greet people, and say your name.

And the Competencies are mostly just short dialogues.

I understand if you can't do it now though. I just wanted to explain.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-19, 22:43

Thanks for the explanation. I still can't commit to it. I'm even considering whether I bit off more than I can chew (again!) with so many study groups.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-19, 22:47

I know that feeling. :lol:

Hopefully you stick with the OE and Japanese study groups!

(I'm guessing I couldn't talk you into at least one of the following one, could I? :P German, Polish, Irish, Cayuga)

(I'm like a dog with a bone.)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-19, 23:19

Nope, you can't talk me into any of them right now. I do plan to stick with the ancient/classical languages because I'm really enthralled by them. Part of even wants to start a Hittite study group and possibly a Gothic one as well. And I definitely will stick with the French, Spanish and Tamil ones. The other four are kind of iffy.

I still haven't taken a look at MnN, but to be honest, I'm starting to question again whether to use it. Perhaps I'm just making it a bigger deal in my mind.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-19, 23:27

dEhiN wrote:Nope, you can't talk me into any of them right now.

I'll keep trying. On occasion. :wink:

I still haven't taken a look at MnN, but to be honest, I'm starting to question again whether to use it. Perhaps I'm just making it a bigger deal in my mind.

Honestly, you probably are. It takes getting used to the methodology. It's actually a lot more simplistic than it seems.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-21, 20:27

After much deliberation, I've decided to not take on so many languages. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and I can get and, in the past have gotten, very excited about trying so many languages. But it does make more sense to stick to a few, and really concentrate on taking those few to the level of comfortable fluency. I can focus on learning other languages later, a little bit at a time. The three I'm going to stick to are French, Spanish and Tamil. I really do want to get to the point where I could use those languages in a job. That's why I'm glad that the French and Spanish study groups are using immersion style videos: it's too easy for me to plod away a bit at a time using didactic resources or to focus on only written comprehension and ability. I'm also going to keep Sumerian and Old English going. Those two will be my fun languages. Since they are dead anyway, I don't have to worry about speaking/listening, which only leaves two competencies to deal with. I've had a hankering for Old English for quite a while now, and I think the idea of using a study group is too good to pass up. And I've been liking learning Sumerian, even if the study group has been going at a slow pace, including learning about Sumerian culture.

Weekly Goals

French
  • Watch Leçon 4 of "French in Action" - due by Nov 24
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 9 of தமிழ் பாடநூல் - due by Nov 24
Spanish
  • Watch Episode #2 of "Destinos" - due by 11/24
Old English
  • Go through "How to Use this Guide" (pp. 1-7) and Part 1, §1-9 (pp. 11-15) of "A Guide to Old English" - due by 12/3

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-21, 20:33

大変ですね。

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-21, 20:44

księżycowy wrote:大変ですね。

That's serious?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-21, 20:47

In this instance "that's too bad".

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-21, 21:21

księżycowy wrote:In this instance "that's too bad".

Oh ok, that makes more sense. What does desune mean again? Or more specifically, the ne particle?

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”