TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-21, 21:34

It assumes that the listener will agree with what is said.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-22, 11:33

I have to say though, I think it's scary how alike we are. :P

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-22, 11:50

I'm really tempted to join 1000 study groups at once too, but then I tell myself that the biggest pleasure I get from language learning is using the language for communicating with people, and I realize that I need to spend tons of time before I reach that level -- which is very unlikely to happen. And I give up.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-26, 21:26

Update time:

French
  • Watch Leçon 4 of "French in Action"
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 9 of தமிழ் பாடநூல்
Spanish
  • Watch Episode #2 of "Destinos"
Old English
  • Go through "How to Use this Guide" (pp. 1-7) and Part 1, §1-9 (pp. 11-15) of "A Guide to Old English"

I was able to finish all the AGtOE readings, but I would like to write out the phonology in my language notebook. I also didn't end up writing the vocab and grammar stuff from Lesson 9, though I did start to.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-26, 21:48

Weekly Goals

French
  • Watch Leçon 5 of "French in Action" - due by Dec 2
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 9 of தமிழ் பாடநூல் - due by Dec 2
  • Write out Lesson 10 vocabulary from தமிழ் பாடநூல் in language notebook - due by Dec 2
Spanish
  • Watch Episode #2 of "Destinos" - due by Dec 2
  • Watch Episode #3 of "Destinos" - due by Dec 2
Sumerian
  • Do Lesson 2 Exercises (pp. 35 - 37) of An Introduction to the Grammar of Sumerian - due by Dec 2
Old English
  • Write out Old English phonology in language notebook

Edit: I just realized that I did Lesson 10 last week for Tamil, so I'm going to do Lesson 9 for this week.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-03, 22:32

Update time:

French
  • Watch Leçon 5 of "French in Action"
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 9 of தமிழ் பாடநூல்
  • Write out Lesson 10 vocabulary from தமிழ் பாடநூல் in language notebook
Spanish
  • Watch Episode #2 of "Destinos"
  • Watch Episode #3 of "Destinos"
Sumerian
  • Do Lesson 2 Exercises (pp. 35 - 37) of An Introduction to the Grammar of Sumerian
Old English
  • Write out Old English phonology in language notebook

My girlfriend and I are both going through "Destinos", which is fun. Spanish is new for her, and it's interesting to see the differences between the "Destinos" series and the "French in Action" series, even though both were published by the same company. The French one is completely immersive, whereas the Spanish one has more English narration. The Spanish one is also more telenovela style, which, while somewhat fun, is, in my opinion, not as beneficial for a complete beginner. I find it pretty helpful though because the actual telenovela scenes use native-speed Spanish and it gives me a chance to practice my listening.

I decided not to worry about writing things out in my language notebook. It was becoming too much of a chore, and while not writing things out might mean I forget vocabulary quicker, looking up words isn't difficult. I also decided not to continue with Sumerian. Last week was quite busy in terms of other, non-language related things going on, and I really would rather, at least for now, focus on French, Spanish and Tamil, and do only one language - Old English - for fun.

On a personal note, I've started thinking about rekindling my interest in computer programming. Perhaps even to the point of doing it as a career. I'm now trying to decide between pursuing coding or language tutoring.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-04, 18:04

Weekly Goals

French
  • Watch Leçon 6 of "French in Action" - due by Dec 9
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 11 of தமிழ் பாடநூல் - due by Dec 9
Spanish
  • Watch Episode #4 of "Destinos" - due by Dec 9
Old English
  • Read §§10-12, 15-21, 22 and 63-65 (pp. 17-20, and 30-31) of A Guide to Old English - due by Dec 16

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-06, 23:18

So, now that you dropped Sumerian you have time for Polish, right? (Or German, I guess...)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-11, 22:37

Update time:

French
  • Watch Leçon 6 of "French in Action"
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 11 of தமிழ் பாடநூல்
Spanish
  • Watch Episode #4 of "Destinos"

I was only able to do work on Tamil last week. So, the French and Spanish goals will be moved to this week:

Weekly Goals

French
  • Watch Leçon 6 of "French in Action" - due by Dec 16
Spanish
  • Watch Episode #4 of "Destinos" - due by Dec 16
Old English
  • Read §§10-12 (p. 17), §§15-21 (pp. 18-19), §22 (pp. 19-20) and §§63-65 (pp. 30-31) of An Introduction to Old English - due by Dec 16

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-18, 5:30

Update time:

French
Spanish
  • Watch Episode #4 of "Destinos"
Old English
  • Read §§10-12 (p. 17), §§15-21 (pp. 18-19), §22 (pp. 19-20) and §§63-65 (pp. 30-31) of A Guide to Old English

I didn't do much language study last week. I think as it gets closer to Christmas, I just have other things on my mind and on the go. I'm not sure what's going to happen with the OE study group, but if it dissolves I might switch to An Introduction to Old English by Hogg or Teach Yourself Anglo-Saxon by Atherton. I don't like AGtOE that much now that we've started getting into the actual content. The approach in AGtOE is neither example-based nor practice-based. Instead the approach seems to just be one of study and memorize all these paradigms and then later try reading actual texts to put into practice all that you memorized. This approach doesn't work at all for me.

Even though I didn't get to watch FiA, I did start rewatching Les Témoins on Netflix. I watched it a few years ago with English subs. This time around, I'm watching with French subs and I find that I can pick out what's being said and understand it a lot quicker now. I can also more or less fully keep up with reading the subs like I would with English subs.

I also joined a Whatsapp Tamil group called தமிழ் பேசுலாம் which is basically a group with which to practice speaking in Tamil but through writing messages. I have attempted to write solely in Tamil. So far I've written very little. But I have had some others who are native speakers respond to me with somewhat lengthy responses. I confess sometimes I've used Google Translate to understand the response just so that I could reply, but other times I've tried to look up words I didn't know, etc. It feels nice to be able to start putting into practice what Vijay and I have been learning through the Tamil study group.

I'm debating about continuing with Destinos. I'm feeling like perhaps just doing my own study and going back to some didactic resource. I could skip the first few chapters if they're review, or at least scan them to refresh my memory. Perhaps it's because I'm not too used to using native media resources, but I'm finding the process of going through both a French and Spanish Youtube series, even if one episode per week per language, a bit overwhelming. I'm definitely more used to text materials.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-18, 5:43

Weekly Goals

French
  • Watch Leçon 6 of "French in Action" - due by Dec 22
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 12 of தமிழ் பாடநூல் - due by Dec 22

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-31, 20:30

Update time:

French
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 12 of தமிழ் பாடநூல்

I'm going to close this TAC thread and start a new 2019 one.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”