TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-07, 5:20

kevin wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
voron wrote:NEIN! :D

So now you know what my answer to kevin's question is, too! ;)

Well, I guess if you keep creating them, but never really start any, that's acceptable.

Zu spät! :twisted:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-09, 0:26

Update time:

I was able to do a little bit of this past week's assignments, but unfortunately not too much. I started lesson 2 of TYCBP, and was able to listen to Dialogues 3 & 4 of TLiC. However, I didn't get to finish reading the grammar section of Dialogue 4, so I'm going to try and do that over the next couple of days. I also wasn't able to finish my Tamil homework for my tutor. I partially chickened out though, and cancelled yesterday's lesson as well as the lessons for the month of July. I also was able to lesson 3 of LLFE and start on lesson 4.

Portuguese
  • Read through lesson 2
French
  • Read through lesson 3
  • Read through lesson 4
Tamil
  • Do Dialogues 3 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context"
  • Do Dialogues 4 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context"
  • Do Tamil homework for tutor
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-09, 0:39

I'm adjusting my study schedule once more. I think I'll do French, Portuguese and Spanish alternating once a week. So Week 1 will be Portuguese, Week 2 will be French, and Week 3 will be Spanish.

If Vijay and I do start up a French or Portuguese/Spanish group, I might decide to stop the resources I"m working through. My only concern though with joining study groups for French/Portuguese/Spanish is that I don't know if I could realistically keep up with something every week for all 5 languages.

The biggest reason for the current change (and the uncertainty about doing all 5 languages each week) is that I'm splitting my time between my place and my girlfriend's place (who lives in another city about 1 hour outside of Toronto), and my girlfriend and her parents are planning to sell their house and move. So, when I'm up with her, the majority of our time is spent trying to pack and stuff. I think that maybe in September things might stabilise and I'll be able to consistently incorporate language study into my schedule.

Study Schedule
  • Portuguese on Week 1
  • French on Week 2
  • Spanish on Week 3
  • Alternate every 3 weeks between Portuguese, French and Spanish
  • Tamil every week with the Study Group and every other week with my tutor
  • Swedish every week with the Study Group
French
  • Read through Living Language French: Essential at a rate of two lessons per week
Portuguese
  • Read through Teach Yourself Complete Brazilian Portuguese at a rate of one lesson per week
Spanish
  • Read through Teach Yourself Latin American Spanish at a rate of one lesson per week
Swedish
  • Do Swedish Study Group weekly assignments every week
Tamil
  • Do Tamil Study Group weekly assignments every week
  • Do Tamil lessons with my tutor every other week
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-09, 0:44

And time for this week's goals.

Weekly Goals:

Portuguese
  • Read through lesson 2 - due by 07/14
Tamil
  • Read through grammar section of Dialogue 4 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context" - due by 07/14
  • Do Reading 1 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context" - due by 07/14
  • Do Exercises 3 & 4 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context" - due by 07/14
Swedish
  • Read pages 1-19 of "Colloquial Swedish" - due by 07/14

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-09, 1:44

dEhiN wrote:If Vijay and I do start up a French or Portuguese/Spanish group, I might decide to stop the resources I"m working through.

I'm still up for all of those! Like I said, I found the book for Portuguese and the audio for Spanish. Can't really help you with Living Language French, though. :P EDIT: This could be one of those things where we need to work through different resources, i.e. you work on one while I work on another. :idea:
My only concern though with joining study groups for French/Portuguese/Spanish is that I don't know if I could realistically keep up with something every week for all 5 languages.

It doesn't have to be weekly, though. We can find a schedule that works better for you; that's kind of the whole point! ;)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-09, 2:02

vijayjohn wrote:I'm still up for all of those! Like I said, I found the book for Portuguese and the audio for Spanish. Can't really help you with Living Language French, though. :P

I haven't had time to check out the YT videos you responded with a few posts back, but I'll try to do that this week. As well, I'll give some thought to doing language study groups for Portuguese and Spanish. I actually am very interested in doing a French one using that TV5Monde resource. It supposedly starts at A1, although I really don't see how someone who is at an A1 level could watch that first video and understand enough to answer the questions correctly! I'm sure if I kept going through Living Language French on my own, I'd eventually learn things like the subjunctive and stuff, but fuck it! I like the motivation aspect of a study group. Plus I could still do LLF when I have spare time.

vijayjohn wrote:It doesn't have to be weekly, though. We can find a schedule that works better for you; that's kind of the whole point! ;)

I didn't think about that! What about a schedule that works for you? You've got a full-time job and are already in 2 study groups with me alone, let alone however many others you're in with others on here! Well, I like the weekly assignments for Tamil. We could try for weekly ones for Swedish, depending on what the others think. (Oh and before I forget, could you take a look at my proposed assignment for this week for the Swedish study group, and if you like it, update the first post please? Tack!)

If we (meaning you and I, or both of us plus others) did study groups for French, Portuguese and Spanish, would you be alright if we alternated weekly through all 3 of them, like I wrote above? I'm still hesitant to do more than 3 languages a week. Another possibility that would work for me is to do Swedish and Tamil every week and alternate between French and Spanish. I would then drop active study of Portuguese for now. I think I wrote this already (I frequently forget what I have or have not written already on my TAC!), but I feel like my Portuguese in general got to a higher level of comprehension and ability than Spanish, but has just gotten rusty and probably gone from B1 to possibly A2, at least in terms of *produceability. I would like to get my Portuguese back up, but right now I would prefer to improve my Spanish to a B1 or even B2. I also would like to keep going with French so that I don't get rusty. I'm more ok with letting my Portuguese get (even more) rusty while I develop a good foundation in Tamil and Swedish and improve my Spanish into the immediate sphere than let my French get rusty.

*I know that's not a word, but I don't remember the word I'm looking for now. Basically it means ability to produce the language through writing and speaking, as opposed to ability to understand through reading and listening.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-09, 2:16

dEhiN wrote:I haven't had time to check out the YT videos you responded with a few posts back, but I'll try to do that this week. As well, I'll give some thought to doing language study groups for Portuguese and Spanish.

Thanks!
I actually am very interested in doing a French one using that TV5Monde resource. It supposedly starts at A1, although I really don't see how someone who is at an A1 level could watch that first video and understand enough to answer the questions correctly! I'm sure if I kept going through Living Language French on my own, I'd eventually learn things like the subjunctive and stuff, but fuck it! I like the motivation aspect of a study group. Plus I could still do LLF when I have spare time.

Yay! :mrgreen: And yeah, that is a bit weird about that website. :P
I didn't think about that! What about a schedule that works for you? You've got a full-time job and are already in 2 study groups with me alone, let alone however many others you're in with others on here!

Yeah, it might help me, too. :silly:
Well, I like the weekly assignments for Tamil. We could try for weekly ones for Swedish, depending on what the others think. (Oh and before I forget, could you take a look at my proposed assignment for this week for the Swedish study group, and if you like it, update the first post please? Tack!)

I saw it. Tbh my gut instinct would be to delve right into Chapter 1, but I'll try to take a closer look at what comes before that before making a final decision. My Swedish pronunciation is pretty shitty, so I could probably use some pointers for that, and that part of the book might be helpful to that end, tbh. :P
If we (meaning you and I, or both of us plus others) did study groups for French, Portuguese and Spanish, would you be alright if we alternated weekly through all 3 of them, like I wrote above? I'm still hesitant to do more than 3 languages a week.

Yep! :)
Another possibility that would work for me is to do Swedish and Tamil every week and alternate between French and Spanish. I would then drop active study of Portuguese for now.

Also fine with me (I wonder whether anyone else is learning Portuguese atm!)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-15, 21:34

Update time:

I was able to finish the introductory pages for "Colloquial Swedish". However, I only got through the Sandhi Rules part of the grammar section of Dialogue 4 of TLIC. I was planning to do the second part (Case Suffixes), but decided not to. Sometimes I find that with new grammar concepts, or at least concepts that I'm not completely familiar/comfortable with, I need to give myself a few days or a couple of weeks even to digest how the concept works. I was able to write out the sandhi rules for Tamil, but I do want to create Anki cards for each rule as a way to review them. The one good thing so far is that when I see it being used in context (whether written written or spoken), I'm able to recognize it. Before, I would recognize the suffix, but not know why a glide was added in between for some words and not for others.

Yesterday, I had an aunt and uncle visit from out of town. During the visit, I was able to practice a little of my Tamil. There was even one point where my aunt (who is my dad's sister) was talking in Tamil on the phone and I listened in to pick out what words I could. Surprisingly, I was able to pick out quite a few words - possibly about 1/4 or 1/5 of the conversation. In addition to pronouns (which were the only things I would've been able to pick out in the past, particularly the nominative ones), I was able to pick out a few verbs that I've learned as well as analyze things like the verb suffixes.

Portuguese
  • Read through lesson 2
Tamil
  • Read through grammar section of Dialogue 4 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context"
  • Do Reading 1 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context"
  • Do Exercises 3 & 4 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context"
Swedish
  • Read pages 1-19 of "Colloquial Swedish"

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-15, 21:51

Time for this week's goals.

Weekly Goals:

Tamil
  • Read through "Case Suffixes" part of grammar section of Dialogue 4 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context" - due by 07/21
  • Read through "Cultural Notes" part of grammar section of Dialogue 4 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context" - due by 07/21
Swedish
  • Read Chapter 1 of "Colloquial Swedish" - due by 07/21

I'm only going to focus on Tamil and Swedish this week. During yesterday's interactions with my aunt and uncle, especially during the phone call where I tried to pick out whatever Tamil words I could, I thought about putting French, Spanish, Portuguese and Swedish on hold for now, and solely focusing on Tamil for the next little while. If I do, I would probably still keep up with French in terms of using it where I can - particularly with my girlfriend. I would also maintain my Spanish and Portuguese by keeping up with Anki. I'm not sure though if, should I decide to go this route, I should also maintain the little Swedish I know by keeping up with Anki, or keep doing Colloquial Swedish as part of the study group. I like the idea of the group motivation, but I also partly want to concentrate solely on Tamil and really make some solid progress in it. Even though my desires for Swedish are to ultimately be able to speak it, I would probably focus more on reading and writing it initially (much the way I've been doing with Spanish and Portuguese) because it's easier for me based on my situation. My desires for Tamil are completely different: I primarily want to be able to converse with my family and the Sri Lankan community here in Toronto, which means focusing on speaking and listening over reading and writing. I say this because I think that a primary goal of reading and writing (for Swedish) could endure me putting Swedish on hold, while the same wouldn't be the case for Tamil.

Anyway, for now I'm going to stick with my current plans and think about things some more.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-15, 22:13

dEhiN wrote:My desires for Tamil are completely different: I primarily want to be able to converse with my family and the Sri Lankan community here in Toronto, which means focusing on speaking and listening over reading and writing.

If that's what you're trying to do, do you really think you need to spend so much time reading about the grammar? I mean, it's not going to help you with either speaking or listening, definitely not as much as actually listening to stuff (or actually saying something :P) is. :) It also kind of seems like it's just bogging you down.

EDIT: Honestly, you're going to encounter those suffixes sooner or later while you're learning Tamil anyway, so it's not like you need to learn them before moving on. Also, the cultural note is actually completely useless except for the purpose of knowing how to spell things.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-15, 22:28

You're right in one sense; learning about the cultural notes and such isn't that helpful. But I think reading about the grammar in a structured way will be helpful. Because Tamil grammar is quite different from any other language I've sufficiently studied or know, I've found that just trying to pick it up through listening hasn't worked at all. Otherwise, considering that I started learning Tamil in grade 10, I would be fluent by now. It's true that I also could just keep asking how to say various phrases, but phrase-based learning doesn't fully work for me either. I do need to be able to grasp and understand how the grammar works to be able to analyze the sentence, to then be able to understand the sentence as well as form my own sentences.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-16, 1:52

Okay, in that case, good luck! :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-16, 14:45

vijayjohn wrote:Okay, in that case, good luck! :)

மிக்க நன்றி தம்பி.

I might skip the cultural section then and just go over cases.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-17, 2:39

Or you might just read both. :silly:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-19, 18:09

Which is what I'm doing! I am starting to feel like I might have bitten off more than I can chew with the Swedish Study Group. Because I don't think I will be able to do the rate of one chapter a week. So, I might just stick to active weekly study of Tamil, along with my Tamil tutor in August, and do my own study of my other languages if and when I have spare time.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-07-19, 18:15

Welcome to the club.

I can only imagine how Vijay-chan is fairing. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-19, 18:51

He's of a different species than the rest of us, so he's probably thriving in this environment! :mrgreen:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-21, 3:10

I'm going to do an update on this week's progress and create weekly goals for next week now because I'm going camping tomorrow for about 5 days, and I'm not too sure how the internet connection will be up there.

As I mentioned on the Swedish Study group thread, I decided to drop out of the group. This past week I've found it hard to do a lot of language study. I've kept up with Anki, but even there I've stopped learning any new vocabulary. As a result, I have something like 8 new French words, 50 new Spanish words, and 155 Korean words. I also have about 16 new Tamil words, but I have been doing new Tamil vocabulary through Anki.

I've also read through both the Case Suffixes and Cultural Notes part of the grammar section of Dialogue 4 of TLIC. I did want to take notes on what I read, as well as add things like the sandhi rules and suffix addition rules to Anki along with updating the case suffix cards already in Anki. I'm going to try and do them next week, while I"m camping.

Tamil
  • Read through "Case Suffixes" part of grammar section of Dialogue 4 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context"
  • Read through "Cultural Notes" part of grammar section of Dialogue 4 of Year 1, Unit 1 of "Tamil Language in Context"
Swedish
  • Read Chapter 1 of "Colloquial Swedish"

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-21, 3:15

These will be the weekly goals for next week (starting July 22).

Weekly Goals:

Tamil
  • Add notes from the grammar section of Year 1, Unit 1, Dialogue 4 of TLIC to my language notebook - due by 07/28
  • Create flashcards to add to Anki based on the notes from the grammar section of Year 1, Unit 1, Dialogue 4 of TLIC - due by 07/28
  • Update any existing flashcards in Anki based on the notes from the grammar section of Year 1, Unit 1, Dialogue 4 of TLIC - due by 07/28
  • Read through Year 1, Unit 1, Reading 1 of TLIC - due by 07/28

I'm thinking that maybe I will go back to doing my own weekly goals for French/Spanish/Portuguese/Swedish. But for at least the next week or two I will just stick with Tamil, and see how things go. This is in part because I didn't pack my resources for French/Spanish/Portuguese/Swedish, and in part because I want to see how it is if I just focus on Tamil. I want to see if it'll be too boring for me, or if I'll feel sufficiently stimulated. I'm also adding in the reading from the website, which is next week's goal for the Tamil Study Group.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-29, 22:53

Time for an update. I went camping last week with my girlfriend for like 5 days, so as a result I didn't really do any language study apart from daily Anki. (Even with that I skipped a day, and then caught up the next day). I did manage to listen to the Reading 1 of TLIC, although I didn't actually read through it. I tried to follow along a little bit as I listened to it, but I didn't have time to go through word by word, and especially to write out or look up new words. I was also able to update my existing Anki flashcards based on the grammar section of Dialogue 4 of TLIC.

Tamil
  • Add notes from the grammar section of Year 1, Unit 1, Dialogue 4 of TLIC to my language notebook
  • Create flashcards to add to Anki based on the notes from the grammar section of Year 1, Unit 1, Dialogue 4 of TLIC
  • Update any existing flashcards in Anki based on the notes from the grammar section of Year 1, Unit 1, Dialogue 4 of TLIC
  • Read through Year 1, Unit 1, Reading 1 of TLIC

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”