TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-04, 21:33

księżycowy wrote:I read your FB post a week or so ago about the term Eskimo and thought I'd share a few things:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... say-eskimo

https://www.uaf.edu/anlc/resources/inuit-eskimo/

I also saw something else posted from a Yupik point of view. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. I was meaning to do this when I saw your post, but I got a little side-tracked. :P

Thanks! If you get a chance, you should post them in response to my FB post. If not, I can do it. I like what both articles said, and their logic is reason enough for me to not use Eskimo. (I didn't anyway, but that was due to the popular media/societal misconception of the etymology of the term. I like how NPR makes the point that even if the etymology isn't pejorative, the past colonial association with the term is sufficient to warrant not using it.)
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-04, 21:50

Update time:

French
  • Go through list of French resources Vijay suggested and pick 3 favourites in order

Tamil
  • Go through Lessons 1-6 of தமிழ் பாடநூல்
  • Write out the new vocab from Tamil Study Group post in language notebook

Sumerian
  • Go through Lesson 2: Introductory Paragraph & Section 2.1 "The Consonants" of An Introduction to the Grammar of Sumerian
As you can see, I finished most of my goals for last week, except for writing out some new vocab that Vijay had used in a couple of posts in the Tamil Study Group.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-04, 22:47

Before I write out my weekly goals, I want to write an update about the languages I wanted to add. I haven't finalized my list yet: I'm thinking to probably do 6 - Inuktitut, Greenlandic, Gothic, Samoan, Maori, and Japanese - but I need to pick resources for each of them. For now, especially since November has already started, I'm going to start with Inuktitut and Greenlandic. As I mentioned previously, I decided to use this for Inuktitut and this for Greenlandic. Rather than create a weekly goal for each of those two languages, I'm going to plan for the first lesson in each in a rotation, like I talked about.

Weekly Goals:

French
  • Watch Leçon 2 of "French in Action" - due by Nov 10
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 7 of தமிழ் பாடநூல் - due by Nov 10
  • Write out the new vocab from Tamil Study Group post in language notebook - due by Nov 10
Sumerian
  • (?) Go through Section 2.2 "Vowels and Vowel Harmonies" of An Introduction to the Grammar of Sumerian - due by Nov 10

Language Rotation:

Greenlandic
Inuktitut

There's a question mark beside Sumerian because we're still waiting to see if all those in the group are caught up before we move on. I also decided last minute to switch Inuktitut and Greenlandic, and work on Greenlandic first. For the language rotation, I'm not going to set due dates.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 23:01

I expect to see you in our Japanese study group shortly then.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-04, 23:06

księżycowy wrote:I expect to see you in our Japanese study group shortly then.

Shortly...eventually...tomayto...tomahto... :D :silly:

What are you guys using in the study group? I have a book that I was thinking to use, although it only uses romanization. That might be good though - I can get a base and then learn kana, as opposed to being slowed down by learning kana first.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 23:08

Kana is super easy. I just listened and got it over a good week or two. It's the kanji you have to worry about.

We're using Minna no Nihongo. Which I'm sure Vijay is very willing to share with you, if you're interested. (Which comes in a romaji or kana version, so there's that.)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-05, 18:01

デーヒン、どこですか。

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-05, 19:34

księżycowy wrote:デーヒン、どこですか。

dEhiN, what? (I used Google Translate).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-05, 20:01

Because translating it would be too easy, how about this:

です (desu) is the copula
か (ka) is a particle
どこ(doko) is the question form of the koko, soko and asoko set.

I'll be nice and give you the implied pronoun: you.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-05, 20:19

księżycowy wrote:Because translating it would be too easy, how about this:

です (desu) is the copula
か (ka) is a particle
どこ(doko) is the question form of the koko, soko and asoko set.

I'll be nice and give you the implied pronoun: you.

So I take it you're basically asking, "dEhiN, what about you?" I don't think I've learned what the koko/soko/asoko set is.

Where are you guys in Minna no Nihongo? And how fast do you guys go? I would love to join a study group for Japanese (I'm finding these study groups very helpful!), but that would change the idea of having Japanese be one of the rotation languages. I would need to make sure I can commit to doing Japanese weekly in addition to French, Sumerian, Tamil and possibly Spanish.

Speaking of which, Vijay, would you be up for starting a Spanish group? Or at least helping me with one? It would be mid-beginner/intermediate one. Saim, on his log, had made the suggestion for me to not use a didactic resource because of my level and knowledge of other Romance languages, and start using native resources. So I might try to find something similar to French in Action for Spanish. (It might be below your level, which is why I mentioned about helping me with one.)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-05, 21:41

dEhiN wrote:So I take it you're basically asking, "dEhiN, what about you?"

違うよ!"Where are you"?

I don't think I've learned what the koko/soko/asoko set is.

:shock: Then you have not truly learned Japanese! :shock:

Where are you guys in Minna no Nihongo?

Lesson 1 (& maybe 2), so it's good timing!

And how fast do you guys go?

How fast do you want to go?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-06, 22:09

Ok, so I joined the Japanese Study Group! Yay! Now, I need to find/pick resources for Maori (probably the Teach Yourself Maori book I have and started, though I might try to find a more modern resource online), Samoan and Gothic. For Gothic, I was actually thinking of this, which is the University of Texas' Linguistic Research Center's lesson(s) on Gothic. Back in 2014, when I first tried going through it, I found it challenging and didn't get far. But I think this time around I'll have more luck.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-09, 18:02

Gdzie jesteś, dEhiN?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-12, 8:19

księżycowy wrote:I'm in a very similar spot with Anki and drilling vocabulary with flashcards in general.

Yessss! Come to the dark side! Learn languages without flashcards like a good language who...er...like me! :twisted:
dEhiN wrote:So my girlfriend and I were watching Moana yesterday night, and that sparked the same wanderlust for an Polynesian language that it did the first time I watched that movie. Specifically, my mind went to Maori. Perhaps it's because the setting is Ancient Polynesia? There is a song in the movie that's in what I presume to be a Polynesian language, although I'm not sure which one.

I guess Tokelauan.
Salajane wrote:
dEhiN wrote:If you're up for it, perhaps next year we could do a study group for one of the languages spoken in Polynesia, Micronesia or Melanesia?

I would join. :)

Yay!

Let's do Waris! :D
I like what both articles said, and their logic is reason enough for me to not use Eskimo.

I use Eskimo in the term "Eskimo-Aleut languages," and I could use it for "Eskimo languages" (i.e. Eskimo-Aleut languages that aren't Aleut), but I don't use it for the people.

Japanese (ja) ここ = Spanish (es) aquí
Japanese (ja) そこ = Spanish (es) ahí
Japanese (ja) あそこ = Spanish (es) allí
Speaking of which, Vijay, would you be up for starting a Spanish group? Or at least helping me with one?

YES! ¡Sí!
It would be mid-beginner/intermediate one. Saim, on his log, had made the suggestion for me to not use a didactic resource because of my level and knowledge of other Romance languages, and start using native resources. So I might try to find something similar to French in Action for Spanish. (It might be below your level, which is why I mentioned about helping me with one.)

https://learner.org/series/destinos/watch
(The story for the first episode begins about 10 minutes in EDIT: Also, you can click on CC for subtitles in English or Spanish, depending on which language is being spoken at any given time).

Btw just in case you were wondering, both this series and French in Action at least used to be broadcast on cable TV here, and that's how I know of them. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-12, 10:39

vijayjohn wrote:Yessss! Come to the dark side! Learn languages without flashcards like a good language who...er...like me! :twisted:

If I might ask, how do you learn vocabulary in your languages? I'm thinking of languages that you want to really know, like how did you do it for German or French?

I use Eskimo in the term "Eskimo-Aleut languages," and I could use it for "Eskimo languages" (i.e. Eskimo-Aleut languages that aren't Aleut), but I don't use it for the people.

The Yupik don't seem to be adverse to being called Eskimos, I might add. After all, they are not Inuits, nor Aleuts. I had an article or website or something that talked about that. I'll have to see if I can still dig that up.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 19:30

księżycowy wrote:Gdzie jesteś, dEhiN?

நான் இங்கேதான்! ஏன்?

vijayjohn wrote:I guess Tokelauan.

I think ceid donn said they use Samoan for one song and Tokelauan for another.

vijayjohn wrote:

Japanese (ja) ここ = Spanish (es) aquí
Japanese (ja) そこ = Spanish (es) ahí
Japanese (ja) あそこ = Spanish (es) allí

I knew that Japanese had a 3-way deictic (is that the right word?) system, but I had remembered is as koko/doko/??, but clearly I remembered it wrongly.

vijayjohn wrote:
Speaking of which, Vijay, would you be up for starting a Spanish group? Or at least helping me with one?

YES! ¡Sí!

Yay! (What's the Spanish interjection for happiness?)

vijayjohn wrote:https://learner.org/series/destinos/watch
(The story for the first episode begins about 10 minutes in EDIT: Also, you can click on CC for subtitles in English or Spanish, depending on which language is being spoken at any given time).

Btw just in case you were wondering, both this series and French in Action at least used to be broadcast on cable TV here, and that's how I know of them. :)

I'm not at home now, but I'll check out the link when I get home. My girlfriend mentioned that apparently they have the French in Action series for other languages. She saw the French one on TV while growing up (like you did), but has since only seen other languages on TV.

By the way, what do you think of the immersion method used in the FiA series? My girlfriend and I were commenting to each other how if we were complete beginners it would be hard. But the constant repetition would probably be sufficient to help a novice learn.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-12, 19:38

*complains about MnN, but then says he likes immersion learning....*

*Facepalm*

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 19:47

Update time (part 1):

French
  • Watch Leçon 2 of "French in Action"
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 7 of தமிழ் பாடநூல்
  • Write out the new vocab from Tamil Study Group post in language notebook

We didn't end up doing anything for Sumerian last week. My girlfriend is part of the French Study Group as well, so we've settled into a routine of spending Saturday afternoon/evening going through the group weekly assignment. That translates into us also practicing some French speaking with each other, which is fun and helpful. I didn't get a chance to write out any new vocabulary for Tamil in my notebook. However, I did ask an uncle of mine who's good in Tamil and supportive of my learning Tamil for help. I showed him some of the things Vijay and I have written (ok, really, just Vijay!) in Tamil, and my uncle corrected any mistakes. So, now I feel comfortable to write out the words Vijay used that are new for me.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 19:49

księżycowy wrote:*complains about MnN, but then says he likes immersion learning....*

*Facepalm*

I didn't say I like it! I said how it would be hard if I were a complete beginner, like I am with Japanese! So, I think you should remove your palm from your face... :lol:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 19:50

Update time (part 2):

Language Rotation:

Greenlandic
Inuktitut

For the language rotation languages, I did go through the Greenlandic Pronunciation lesson. I just read through it, so I'm not going to scratch it out and move on. I want to write out what was covered into my notebook. I find writing things out helpful, and apparently they do say that writing something out by hand increases your chance of remembering it.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”