TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-14, 18:10

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:You mentioned my nick on Facebook? I don't remember that.

As you shouldn't. I said, "Names have been changed to chastise the guilty." (Yes, it's kinda of a joke, but I didn't know how you'd feel about me using your real name here, so I used your nick instead.)

I didn't get the joke, so I skipped it! I think my real name is in my profile, but thanks for changing my name!

księżycowy wrote:And damn it dEhiN! Stop being inspired by me! :P

Then stop doing stuff that's so inspiring! But you're a Master now, it makes sense you'll inspire others.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-14, 18:16

The joke is simply that it's a reversal of "Names have been changed to protect the innocent."

https://youtu.be/VUFWYpvzgSA

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-14, 21:30

dEhiN wrote:you're a Master now, it makes sense you'll inspire others.

:lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-15, 11:11

dEhiN wrote:I think my real name is in my profile

Just your first name.

thanks for changing my name!

無。

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-16, 0:15

księżycowy wrote:
thanks for changing my name!

無。

I'm trying to figure out what this is supposed to mean in context. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-16, 1:24

It's Taiwanese, if that's any help.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-16, 2:57

So "you're welcome" or something?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-16, 9:33

From what I understand yes. It seems to be similar to Japanese 「いいえ」in this context.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-17, 3:56

Huh, I haven't heard of such a thing in Mandarin. However, I do distinctly remember one of my Chinese teachers saying that bù le (不了, in Mandarin) means 'no, thanks' (and having us translate 'no, thanks' into Chinese this way on our homework assignments).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-25, 4:07

Update time:

I had to stop my Tamil classes unfortunately, so I'm not sure for now what'll happen in terms of how I'll actively progress in Tamil. A few days ago I got bored and a bit disillusioned with Anki, so I stopped it for a few days. I even went as far as resetting all the cards and suspending them! But then on Monday I had a change of heart, and used a backup to undo my changes. However, this meant on Monday I studied something like 627 cards in about 30 minutes! :shock: I'm quite impressed with myself! :D

I realized why I was getting bored and disillusioned. For the past 8 weeks I've been visiting my girlfriend in the hospital almost daily (which I've already mentioned), and as a result have put almost everything else in my life on hold. Even when it came to Anki, while I was studying it every day, I was barely adding any new vocabulary to it, or even writing down any new vocabulary in my notebook. Which meant that for most of the 8 weeks, I was just reviewing the same cards over and over, which contributed to a sense of not progressing in my languages.

This week I've scaled back, and as a result I want to start progressing again. I still want to do something similar to what księżycowy did, and come up with a game plan for how I'm going to try and achieve my language study goals for the rest of this year. But at least I'm still doing Anki, and not feeling disillusioned with it but rather like it's enjoyable.

I'm also continuing to chat here and there with my girlfriend in French, which is helpful. Because she did public school in French immersion and then did her uni studies in French Language & Linguistics, even though she hasn't used French too actively in a while, I would say her level is probably C1. For example, she's able to read the AA Big Book in French and understand it in general. Whereas, I will understand half of a paragraph or sentence, but there's still enough new vocabulary that I get bogged down and lose the general gist. But, because her level is higher than mine, I feel like chatting with her is helpful for me, and I am learning!
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-25, 16:17

I was giving some thought this morning to how I would like to proceed with my languages, and what resources to use. I think in the past, the problem with the print resources I have is that I would try to do everything from beginning to end. Even when I created weekly goals, if for example the resource was Teach Yourself and the goal was to go through chapter 1, in my mind that meant read through chapter 1 + listen to all the audio + do all the exercises. Multiply that by 5 languages and it would get too much for me to keep up with.

But then it struck me that for the 5 Tier 1 languages, I could for the most part just read the print resource. I also could go through the audio at another time, such as after I've finished reading through the whole resource.

So with that said, my current plan is to use Teach Yourself Complete Brazilian Portuguese for Portuguese and Living Language French for French, and to just read through the book(s) without listening to the audio or trying the exercises. Well, I'll probably mentally work through the exercises but that's it. Living Language has 3 books in their series: Essential, Intermediate and Advanced. I'll start with Essential.

I want to think some more about which resource to start with for Spanish and Swedish, although I have some ideas already. I also want to figure out what to do about Tamil. I do have several pasted (and some printed) notes on Tamil grammar from various sources, such as here or a Tamil Whatsapp group, from questions I've asked and the subsequent answers. I might start with going through those - though in this case, reading them and taking down notes in my notebook for reinforcement - and then do something like talk to my mom and set up a biweekly conversational Tamil class. I think I know enough about language learning as a process to create specific questions to ask my mom and basically direct the class so that I learn the basics.

I'm also thinking that I might end up doing French and Portuguese one week, and Spanish and Swedish the following week, again to keep things manageable.

Yay, now I have a plan! In the immortal words of Hannibal Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together". (Ok...so that quote might not fit exactly since I'm just coming up with the plan...but whatevs, it came to my mind, so I'm going with it!) :D

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-05-25, 18:01

What about Romanian? What are your plans about it?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-25, 18:06

Or Taiwanese! Where is that! :evil:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-25, 19:50

I don't have plans for Romanian just yet. Romanian and Korean are Tier 2 languages. Hopefully I can get some active study going for my Tier 1 languages, then add some active study for my Tier 2, and then look at adding (back) other languages.

How can I add Taiwanese when I relatively recently gave up on Irish, especially after promising I wouldn't drop it?! I don't want to do that to you księżycowy.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-25, 19:51

Are you going to drop it already?! :shock:

:doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-25, 21:26

księżycowy wrote:Are you going to drop it already?! :shock:

:doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

Drop what? Irish?? Didn't you read my update maybe a month ago where I dropped Irish, Albanian, Welsh and Tagalog?!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-25, 22:09

Based on the context up until now, what do you think I meant? :pff:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-26, 1:53

Drop Taiwanese?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-26, 3:31

When did I say I'd add it?! Wouldn't I need to add it to drop it?

My parents have this Sinhalese saying that fits I think in this situation. They always said it while I was growing up, but only recently did I ask them the English translation. It goes something like ['kohəd̪e 'anːe 'maɭːe poɭ] (though that could be ['malːe]). Apparently it's someone asking ['kohəd̪e 'anːe] which means "where are you going?", and the other person replies ['maɭːe poɭ] "I'm carrying coconuts on my head"! :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-26, 3:37

What does the saying actually mean, though? :P

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”