TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-28, 23:15

So I'm finally going to do a TAC on specific languages*. I've decided to focus next year on (Parisian) French, (Brazilian) Portuguese, (Swedish) Swedish, and (Sri Lankan) Tamil. The particular dialects will be what I mostly concentrate on, but I'm not going to worry if, along the way, I learn bits from other dialects.

I like Michael's TAC approach, where he's listed his current levels and his goals. While I'm not sure how to accurately determine my levels, I'm going to attempt to create similar specific goals. Unfortunately I'm currently at a Starbucks on my tablet, so it's not as easy to type as at home on my laptop. Thus, I will add those goals in the next few days when I'm back at home and have some time.

Lastly, as I think I mentioned at the end of my 2016 TAC, I suspended all the cards in my Anki deck except for French, Portuguese, Swedish, and Tamil. My plan is to use Anki to store and learn/remember all the vocabulary I've ever learned or will learn in these 4 languages**.

*My approach in the past 2 years has been to pick all the languages I want to ever learn, or happen to be studying in that moment.

**I'm still going through all my old language notebooks and will add them to Anki.
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-01-25, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Re: TAC 2017 dEhiN - French, Brazilian Portuguese, Swedish, Sri Lankan Tamil

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-04, 4:13

Alright, it's time to stop being lazy and write out some goals for my TAC. Everytime I look at my signature, it drives me nuts; I hear this nagging voice saying "What TAC?! You haven't even done anything!". :D I decided I'm not going to figure out my levels because the thought of it was stressing me out. However I do have a plan of action for each of the 4 languages I'll be tackling. But first, I need to deal with Anki.

I haven't started learning anything in Anki after resetting all the cards and suspending everything except my TAC languages. Between the 4 languages alone I have 504 cards. I would like to learn all the cards and have them in review before I add anything new. If I learn at a rate of 20 new cards a day, that will take me about 26 days to learn all 504 cards. This is doable, however, I don't want to just sit around for 26 days doing nothing in French, Portuguese, Tamil, and Swedish except relearn vocabulary I once knew. I think what I'll do is a mix of things because I also want to add all the vocabulary from my Language Learning notebooks to Anki.

So here's what I'm thinking:

1. For the next 26 days I'll learn 20 new cards a day in Anki. This will also include review of the cards I've already learned. (Ex: I'll learn 20 new cards today, 20 new cards tomorrow, and then in 2 days I'll have to do 20 new cards + 20 review cards.)
  2. During that time I will add all the vocab from my Language Learning notebooks to Anki. (Instead of adding new words one by one, I'm using a Google Docs document and will batch add everything to Anki.)
  3. After the 26 days, I'll start going through my TAC languages, studying 1 language per week. I will also go through the vocabulary I added to Anki from my Language Learning notebooks, and simultaneously add vocabulary from the TAC language I'm studying. This will hopefully mean that I will continuously be behind in Anki. I think that should be alright though.
In the next post I will share what resources I will be using for each language.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-04, 6:17

So as stated, here are the resources I will be using for French, Portuguese, Swedish, and Tamil. (I've bolded the resource(s) and underlined the study plan.)

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] Practice Makes Perfect: Basic Portuguese by Sue Tyson-Ward. I started the book in the past and completed 5.5 / 50 chapters. I also wrote all the vocabulary and grammar I learned in my Language Learning notebooks. I think what I'll do is review the 5.5 chapters and then continue, finishing chapter 5 and then doing one chapter a week. My aim is to have the vocabulary and grammar from the first 5 chapters already put into Anki by the time I finish my review.

[flag=]sv[/flag] Teach Yourself Complete Swedish by Vera Croghan and Ivo Holmqvist. (Is it just me or do they not sound like Swedish names at all?!) Since this is a TY Complete book, it goes from beginner to B2 level. There are 18 chapters which would mean each chapter contains a lot. I think I will do one chapter every 2 weeks. My problem in the past with TY has been that there's not a lot of exercises and review. The Practice Makes Perfect series is pretty much all exercises, which is great! Perhaps I'll create exercises for myself as I go through TY Complete Swedish. Or I might look into buying Practice Makes Perfect for Swedish down the road after I finish TY.

[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] Learn Tamil Language which is a Facebook group. I have many resources for learning Tamil but the difficulty I have is that self-study for Tamil doesn't quite work for me. Tamil is a diglossic language, and the resources either teach written Tamil or spoken Tamil, but usually the spoken Tamil variety they teach is the one found in Tamil Nadu, in India. (Well, there's more than one dialect in India, but I think they usually teach Chennai spoken Tamil). I do have one resource that teaches both written and spoken Tamil, and breaks down the differences between Sri Lankan spoken Tamil and Tamil Nadu spoken Tamil. Anyway, this FB group has posts with various lessons (see here) as well as the advantage of being a group of Tamil speakers and learners. So I can always ask questions and even upload recordings and such. My plan is to go through one lesson every week.

[flag=]fr[/flag] French will be interesting because I don't have any resources specific to my level. Or, rather, I don't have a study book for intermediate; all my French study books are beginner ones. I do want to improve my listening skills specifically. I think what I'll do is try to listen to 30 minutes of French audio every week, and write out the words I can understand. The ones I don't know the meaning of, I'll look up. I'm not going to include music, but only spoken audio: news, TV shows, movies, comedy skits, etc. The difficulty will be that not all the things I listen to will have a transcript. But hopefully 30 minutes a week will help improve my listening skills. And maybe down the road I'll up the time amount. I will also try to improve my reading skills. But I'm not yet sure how I'll do that; I have a few French novels and comics. I'll probably start with those and then find more stuff. Either way, I'll figure it out.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-04, 12:02

So I finished my Day 1 of Anki Catch-up. The 20 cards weren't so bad, though I did split them up into 5 apiece. Time to do some vocab transfer (from my Language Learning notebooks to Anki).

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-01-04, 13:32

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]sv[/flag] Teach Yourself Complete Swedish by (...) and Ivo Holmqvist. (Is it just me or do they not sound like Swedish names at all?!)

That's one of my old teachers at university! Definitely a proper Swede; he taught us Swedish Literature. Sadly he moved to New Zealand before I finished my degree. We all liked him a lot better than his replacement.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-05, 3:36

Aurinĭa wrote:
dEhiN wrote:[flag=]sv[/flag] Teach Yourself Complete Swedish by (...) and Ivo Holmqvist. (Is it just me or do they not sound like Swedish names at all?!)

That's one of my old teachers at university! Definitely a proper Swede; he taught us Swedish Literature. Sadly he moved to New Zealand before I finished my degree. We all liked him a lot better than his replacement.

Good to know! Tack!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-06, 10:45

I missed doing Anki yesterday but did it today, and it wasn't bad. I recalled the 20 and learned 20 new words quite easily. During my spare time though, I keep forgetting to work on my "transfer vocab from my notebooks to Anki" project.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-06, 12:54

I did some work on my transfer project. I got around to numbering all the pages in one of my notebooks, and also the pages I've written in in another notebook.

So in the first notebook, there are a total of 166 pages (all of them I've filled up), and I've gone through 34 of them. Meaning, I've added all the vocab from the first 34 pages to my Google Sheets document (I changed it from a Google Docs file since spreadsheets are easier to work with!). To be fair, not every page, nor every line of every page is filled with vocabulary I need to add. Some of it are words found on other pages I've gone through, or words I already have in Anki. Some of the pages are me practicing various scripts. And then some of the pages of this particular notebook I've aleady added to Anki when going through the Frisian and Korean courses.

In the second notebook, there are a total of 29.25 pages I've filled up, and I've gone through 5 of them.

On top of that, I have 4 other notebooks that I've filled that i haven't started transferring.

So this transfer project of mine is more involved than I thought! :hmm: Of course I'm transferring any and all vocabulary and grammar for all languages. My plan is to add them into Anki, and then suspend all cards from any languages that aren't in my TAC. This effectively will make Anki a repository for all the vocabulary and grammar I've ever studied in any language (at least that I've written down). I can already see some benefit from this. In the second notebook, most of those 29.25 pages are filled with French words and phrases that I had learned back in 2011/2012, when I first started relearning French. And some of those words/phrases are new, and some are also slang. I've of course forgotten all of them because I never used it, but now with Anki's review system I have a chance to at least passively learn it.

I'll have to rethink my plan now. Basically I'll catch up on relearning all the "new" cards in Anki in about 24 or 25 days. Unless I do something like 10-20 pages a day, I'm not going to have all the stuff from my Language Learning notebooks ready to transfer to Anki after 24/25 days. Perhaps I could push myself. It would make it easier to then start working through new material in my language books and such. I'll try and count all the pages in the other 4 notebooks and crunch some numbers and see.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-08, 5:25

It seems my updates are lengthy, so I'll try to shorten them. I did Anki today, which was good. Even though I learned all these words at one point, I'm going to start writing down the ones that felt like new.

[flag=]fr[/flag] quatre-vingt-treize ninety-three (I know about the 80s and 90s in French, but some of the 90s still throw me off.)
[flag=]fr[/flag] soixante-dix seventy (The same with the 60s and 70s.)
[flag=]fr[/flag] quatre-vingt-quatre eighty-four (See above.)
[flag=]fr[/flag] dresser to erect, to raise (I see this word and first think in English: to dress!)

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o fogo fire (I know the French (le feu) and Spanish (el fuego) equivalents; not sure why I forgot the Portuguese one. Also, I thought the pronunciation was [fɔgu] but Wiktionary says it's [fogu])

[flag=]sv[/flag] väldigt very
[flag=]sv[/flag] en kvinna -- kvinnan / kvinnor -- kvinnornan a woman -- the woman / women -- the women (I actually have these as 2 cards. Because of how Swedish adds the definite article, I write the indefinite and definite form on the same card and have one for singular, one for plural. The difficulty for me was remembering the singular vs plural forms.)
[flag=]sv[/flag] de they (This one actually wasn't hard for me when I saw the meaning. But I always thought the spelling vs pronunciation is really weird.)
[flag=]sv[/flag] en bok -- boken a book -- the book (Wiktionary says that the pronunciation is [buːk] but when I listen to their audio example, the speaker's /u/ does not sound like my /u/. I think Swedes might use a more closed /u/ and /i/ than in English.)

[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] தழும்பு scar
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] அது that [dem. pro.] (I know this word quite well. But when I saw it in the new cards yesterday I mixed it up a bit with அந்து - that [dem. adj.]. And today, when talking with my mom in Tamil, I used the dem. adj. when the dem. pro. was called for! I'm a bit ticked that I mixed these up but I think it's because I knew the pronouns for the longest time, and then relatively recently learned the adjectives. So having to remember separate words is a bit tricky, especially since they are so similar to each other.)
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-01-10, 8:58, edited 2 times in total.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-08, 5:45

Ahh what the heck, I think I'll just post all the words I've learned in Anki so far and keep doing it for each day. Since I'm doing 20 a day, it's not too much. Plus it'll give anyone reading a chance to chime in: maybe a word will be new for you, or you can offer a correction to a mistake I have. I've learned 40 and I already posted 11, so here are the other 26:

[flag=]fr[/flag] deux two
[flag=]fr[/flag] quatre four
[flag=]fr[/flag] trente-six thirty-six
[flag=]fr[/flag] quarante fourty
[flag=]fr[/flag] cinquant-cinq fifty-five
[flag=]fr[/flag] soixante-quatre sixty-four
[flag=]fr[/flag] soixante-cinq sixty-five
[flag=]fr[/flag] soixante-huit sixty-eight
[flag=]fr[/flag] soixante et onze seventy-one
[flag=]fr[/flag] soixante-dix-huit seventy-eight
[flag=]fr[/flag] quatre-vingt-cinq eighty-five
[flag=]fr[/flag] quatre-vingt-neuf eighty-nine
[flag=]fr[/flag] quatre-vingt-quize ninety-five
[flag=]fr[/flag] entrer to enter
[flag=]fr[/flag] montrer to show

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a beleza beauty
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o país country
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a carta letter; (playing) card

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-08, 6:08

Fuck! There are no forum rules about swearing, right? So I had actually done 3 days of new words, meaning 60 cards. Since I don't want to create a long post, I'm breaking this up. I did 20 + 11 = 31, so 29 to go.

[flag=]fr[/flag] je {-e} / tu {-es} / il;elle;on {-e} / nous {-ons} / vous {-ez} / ils;elles {-ent} [pres. tense ind. for '-er' verbs] (Don't mind my weird way of marking things; you'll see this in other cards. It's my way of trying to show some grammar point.)
[flag=]fr[/flag] {-ant} / {-issant} / {-ant} [pres. participle endings for {-er} / {-ir} / {-re} verbs]
[flag=]fr[/flag] bête/bêtes stupid; foolish [sing./pl.]
[flag=]fr[/flag] le feu fire
[flag=]fr[/flag] ni nor
[flag=]fr[/flag] l'eau (f.) water

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o tubarão shark
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] vegetariano/vegetariana/vegetarianos/vegetarianas vegetarian [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a bolsa purse; handbag
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] tocar to play (instruments)
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a cana sugarcane [used when drinking it]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o copo (drinking) glass
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o queijo cheese
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o lanche snack
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a pimenta pepper
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o porco pig; pork

[flag=]sv[/flag] är am/is/are [pres. tense ind.]
[flag=]sv[/flag] hej hi; hello

[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] பங்கம் destruction
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] அவன் he
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-01-13, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-08, 6:17

Here are the last 10:

[flag=]fr[/flag] l'écharpe (f.) scarf
[flag=]fr[/flag] lequel?/laquelle?; lesquels?/lesquelles? which one(s)? [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]
[flag=]fr[/flag] le bout end; tip
[flag=]fr[/flag] le sentier path; way
[flag=]fr[/flag] la randonnée hike; hiking; trek; trekking
[flag=]fr[/flag] je {-s} / tu {-s} / il/elle/on {-} / nous {-ons} / vous {-ez} / ils;elles {-ent} [pres. tense ind. for '-re' verbs]
[flag=]fr[/flag] le vin wine

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] almoçar to have lunch; to lunch

[flag=]sv[/flag] läser read/reads [pres. tense ind.] (I know this word, but whenever I see it in my deck, I still think English laser :D.)

[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] பக்கம் side

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-08, 7:14

dEhiN wrote:There are no forum rules about swearing, right?

Not really. See here (under 2.3).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-10, 9:07

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] quarante-vingt-treize
[flag=]fr[/flag] quatre-vingt-quize
[flag=]sv[/flag] en bok -- booken

A few small corrections:
  1. It should be quatre-vingt-treize
  2. It should be quatre-vingt-quinze
  3. In Swedish "the book" is boken
I have corrected them in my previous posts.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-10, 10:39

So I missed writing the Anki words I learned for Jan 8 and 9; here are the words from Jan 8.

[flag=]fr[/flag] ainsi que as well as; just as
[flag=]fr[/flag] cent (one) hundred; (a) cent
[flag=]fr[/flag] le balai broom
[flag=]fr[/flag] le poisson fish
[flag=]fr[/flag] lors de while; during
[flag=]fr[/flag] quatre-vingt-seize ninety-six
[flag=]fr[/flag] ravir to delight
[flag=]fr[/flag] trente-neuf thirty-nine
[flag=]fr[/flag] trente-trois thirty-three

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a cara face; heads (coin); resemblance [informal]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a limonada lemonade
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] através through; across
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] doente/doentes sick [sing./pl.]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o molho sauce

[flag=]sv[/flag] chatta text chat
[flag=]sv[/flag] en flicka -- flickan (a) girl -- the girl
[flag=]sv[/flag] hon she
[flag=]sv[/flag] i in
[flag=]sv[/flag] och and

[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] பற்கள் teeth

By the way, if any you're reading this and spot any errors in my list, please let me know. Thank you / merci / obrigado / tack / நன்றி!
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-01-10, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-10, 11:02

Here are the words from Jan 9:

[flag=]fr[/flag] cinquante et un fifty-one
[flag=]fr[/flag] cinquante-huit fifty-eight
[flag=]fr[/flag] cinquante-quatre fifty-four
[flag=]fr[/flag] conforter to strengthen; to reinforce
[flag=]fr[/flag] le violon violin
[flag=]fr[/flag] quatre-vingts eighty
[flag=]fr[/flag] soixante-seize seventy-six
[flag=]fr[/flag] trente-quatre thirty-four

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a Alemanha Germany
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a aranha spider
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a banana banana
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a batata potato
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a maçã apple
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] eu {-o} / tu {-as} / ele;ela;você {-a} / nós {-amos} / vós {-ais} / eles;elas;vocês {-am} [pres. tense ind. for '-ar' verbs]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] lavar to wash
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o leão lion
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o pássaro bird
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] tanto so much; so many

[flag=]sv[/flag] en smörgås -- smörgåsen (a) sandwich -- the sandwich
[flag=]sv[/flag] en tidning -- tidningen (a) newpaper -- the newpaper

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-01-10, 11:49

dEhiN wrote: [flag=]sv[/flag] en kvinna -- kvinnan / kvinnor -- kvinnornan kvinnorna a woman -- the woman / women -- the women

The plural definite particle for this type is -na.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-10, 12:19

Aurinĭa wrote:
dEhiN wrote: [flag=]sv[/flag] en kvinna -- kvinnan / kvinnor -- kvinnornan kvinnorna a woman -- the woman / women -- the women

The plural definite particle for this type is -na.

Tack så mycket!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-11, 3:00

Anki for Jan. 10:

[flag=]fr[/flag] réconforter to comfort; to encourage
[flag=]fr[/flag] le vol flight
[flag=]fr[/flag] quarante-sept fourty seven
[flag=]fr[/flag] trois three
[flag=]fr[/flag] quatre-vingt-onze ninety-one
[flag=]fr[/flag] accident vasculaire stroke
[flag=]fr[/flag] soixante-dix-sept seventy-seven
[flag=]fr[/flag] soixante-deux sixty-two

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] agora now
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o peixe fish
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o alemão German language
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a formiga ant
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a fruta fruit

[flag=]sv[/flag] att gå to go
[flag=]sv[/flag] män men (I don't know which definite article to add here)
[flag=]sv[/flag] dansar dance/dances [pres. tense ind.]
[flag=]sv[/flag] en pojke -- pojken (a) boy -- the boy

[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] சரி right; OK [adv.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] ஜயம் victory
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] கற்கள் stones

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-12, 4:01

Anki for Jan. 11:

[flag=]fr[/flag] ne t'inquiètes pas; ne vous inquiètez pas don't worry
[flag=]fr[/flag] quarante et un fourty-one
[flag=]fr[/flag] seize sixteen

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] ganhar to earn; to win
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o suco juice
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a xícara cup (I always seem to mix this up with "copo" which means "glass", but sounds like "cup".)
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a faca knife
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a cenoura carrot
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] parabéns! congratulations!
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o ovo egg
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o rato mouse; rat
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a fazenda farm
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] crescer to grow
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a conta account; bill
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] atrasado/atrasada/atrasados/atrasadas late [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]

[flag=]sv[/flag] so, as
[flag=]sv[/flag] att dansa to dance
[flag=]sv[/flag] dricker drink/drinks [pres. tense ind.]

[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] அச்சம் fear
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] நில்லு stop [imp.]

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”