TAC 2016 - france-eesti (English, Portuguese, Hungarian, Estonian)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2016 - france-eesti (English, Portuguese, Hungarian, Estonian)

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-10, 23:02

france-eesti wrote:J'allais à l'école le lundi => I used to go to school on Mondays (something that you repeat, some kind of habit)
J'étais à l'école lundi dernier => I was at school last Monday (you want to point one fact, one action in the past)
J'avais raté le bus de l'école lundi dernier => I had missed the school bus last Monday => you point out one fact, even earlier in the past.

Shouldn't that be "j'ai été à l'école lundi dernier" because you're pointing out one action in the past? Et merci pour l'explication!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-01-11, 0:41

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:
france-eesti wrote:[flag=]pt[/flag] = It hasn't been the best moment for Portuguese, given the fact "A pessoa abaixo de mim" is blocked because of me

What do you mean? If ou post too much the thread is locked by admins? So the blame is more on me than you. :oops: :oops:

No it was blocked because of what she said in her phrase.
What?!?! Imagine what will happen when the mods read the thread about swearing I created.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2016 - fance-eesti (English, Portuguese, Hungarian, Estonian)

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-11, 1:07

I understood france-eesti to mean that she was afraid she'd killed the game with her post.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-01-11, 1:37

Mmmmm shouldn't she use the word "stuck"?
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-11, 1:40

"TPAM is stuck"? :hmm: That sounds odd to me for some reason, even if it's not necessarily wrong (maybe my brain is just being weird right now, idk). :P But then I'm not 100% sure "blocked" is right, either. :silly: Sounds fine to me, though.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-11, 2:39

I would say "the TPAM game/thread is stuck/blocked". Though, realistically I'd probably go a bit fancy and say "the thread is at an impasse" :D.

Osias wrote:Mmmmm shouldn't she use the word "stuck"?

No because like Vijay said, france-eesti was afraid she'd killed the game with her reply. Meaning she thought nobody would be able to reply and the game would end completely.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-01-11, 12:32

It's just that some words have other default, more technical, meanings on the web.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-11, 12:52

Admins on UniLang at least lock threads and don't block anything AFAIK.

Btw france-eesti, I don't mean any offense, so I hope you don't mind me pointing this out, but you spelled your own user name wrong in the title of this thread! :lol:

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-01-11, 13:15

dEhiN wrote:I would say "the TPAM game/thread is stuck/blocked". Though, realistically I'd probably go a bit fancy and say "the thread is at an impasse" :D.

Cute! I'll take this one! :wink:

dEhiN wrote:No because like Vijay said, france-eesti was afraid she'd killed the game with her reply. Meaning she thought nobody would be able to reply and the game would end completely.

not "be able to", but just "feel like it", you know... I was afraid I had written something completely stupid that no one would like to answer to. Anyway, I see the problem is no longer here.

vijayjohn wrote:Btw france-eesti, I don't mean any offense, so I hope you don't mind me pointing this out, but you spelled your own user name wrong in the title of this thread!

yeah I saw that :oops: I tried to fix it but didn't succeed. :roll:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-11, 13:23

france-eesti wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Btw france-eesti, I don't mean any offense, so I hope you don't mind me pointing this out, but you spelled your own user name wrong in the title of this thread!

yeah I saw that :oops: I tried to fix it but didn't succeed. :roll:

The way you do that is by editing the title of the first post in this thread. :)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-01-11, 20:05

Whatever it's called, the blame is still somehow on me, for stopping replying to let other people post more.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-01-11, 20:11

vijayjohn wrote:"TPAM is stuck"? :hmm: That sounds odd to me for some reason, even if it's not necessarily wrong (maybe my brain is just being weird right now, idk). :P But then I'm not 100% sure "blocked" is right, either. :silly:

"stalled"? "Blocked" sounds bad because--as Osias points out--it invites confusion with more technical terminology.

It makes me sad that no one pointed out to france-eesti how to fix the title of her own thread before now. (This is the sort of thing that as, when modding, fix silently.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-12, 0:17

linguoboy wrote:It makes me sad that no one pointed out to france-eesti how to fix the title of her own thread before now. (This is the sort of thing that as, when modding, fix silently.)

I actually never noticed it until Vijay pointed it out! And I'm not sure how active the TAC forum mod is on here anymore.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-01-12, 13:45

Ah, no harm done, no one was injured nor killed because my TAC had the wrong title...
And I'm sure God didn't kill a kitten either.
But thanks for your kind notification :) (and thanks for unblocking "A pessoa abaixo de mim") :oops:
I also blocked "A következő hozzászóló", so maybe I'll be Lucky again :silly:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-12, 13:56

france-eesti wrote:(and thanks for unblocking "A pessoa abaixo de mim") :oops:

C'était mon plaisir.

france-eesti wrote:I also blocked "A következő hozzászóló", so maybe I'll be Lucky again :silly:

I'm going to assume that's the Hungarian version of TPAM. If so, I can't help you there; I only know/remember maybe 10 Hungarian words at most.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-01, 19:44

Wowww it's been a while since I didn't update my TAC :D
OK, I try to do one sentence per language!

[flag=]fr[/flag] Still helping learners - and still having a hard time when they ask me questions I don't have the answer to!

[flag=]en[/flag] Finished reporting the corrections for my last book (after my proof-reader corrected them) - I'm still ashamed of the kind of mistakes I'm doing! :shock: In/into (The main character is disabled in this story and I NEVER found out if he has to be IN his wheelchair or INTO his wheelchair, or maybe when he is sitting, then he is IN, but when he climbs, he climbs INTO... or something like that - Hungarian kind of opened my eyes to this kind of matter...)

[flag=]pt[/flag] Very happily practicing at work with the Brazilian woman who just arrived - she is very patient and said I had an European Portuguese accent :D

[flag=]hu[/flag] Reading a book in Hungarian - and very happy to understand almost everything! Else I am having the time of my life - I just enjoy every minute of it. It's real love! :silly:

[flag=]it[/flag] Working on the Italian version of my website, I can understand everything but yet not write correctly...

[flag=]ro[/flag] New! Wanderlusting...

[flag=]cs[/flag] Is a big problem - I'm going to Prague within 2 months and I haven't started anything at all, which is very unlike me... I just can't get to start it... :cry:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-05-01, 22:54

france-eesti wrote:[flag=]hu[/flag] Reading a book in Hungarian - and very happy to understand almost everything! Else I am having the time of my life - I just enjoy every minute of it. It's real love! :silly:

That's cool, you must be pretty good in it then! What is the book you are reading?

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-02, 13:54

Thanks!
I'm reading "Rachel vakációja" by Marian Keyes :D
sure, that's just a translation from the Irish novel but this way I'm sure I understand everything. It's about drug addiction and rehab. Then I get a lot of vocabulary uppon those matters!

I cannot say I am good at Hungarian - I still make plenty of mistakes when I write, and I am also very ashamed to be making mistakes on stuff I'm supposed to know :oops:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-02, 17:25

france-eesti wrote:Thanks!
I'm reading "Rachel vakációja" by Marian Keyes :D
sSure, that's just a translation from the Irish novel, but this way I'm sure that I'll understand everything. It's about drug addiction and rehab. Then So I'm getting a lot of vocabulary uppon thoese matters!

A few notes. Personally I would say "it's just a translation" instead of "that", but both do work grammatically. The phrase "I'm sure that I'll understand" is a very casual way of saying it; almost like spoken English style. A more natural written style would be something like "I'm sure to understand".

The same goes for "I'm getting a lot of vocabulary on these matters". Firstly, I kept "on these matters", which works grammatically but doesn't sound quite native-like to my ears, because I was trying to leave your original phrasing. I would probably just say "about these things". (Of course you could be more formal and write "about these (subject) areas".) Secondly, "getting" in this case sounds very much like a lower register form of casual, spoken English. That's because "learning" isn't that advanced a word, so while English speakers do use "get" for a lot of actions, it's common to use "learn" when that's the action you are talking about. Thus, "I'm learning a lot of vocabulary in these areas".

I cannot say I am good at Hungarian - I still make plenty of mistakes when I write, and I am also very ashamed to be making mistakes on with stuff I'm supposed to know :oops:

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-02, 18:18

Thank you David! This is so kind of you to take time to explain this to me :)
How about the "in/into" the wheelchair? :para: I am not sure I understood the difference... Can both be used in different contexts? :hmm:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”