TAC 2016 (ich) German, Norwegian, Vietnamese, Spanish

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2016 (ich) German, Norwegian, Vietnamese, Spanish

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-23, 23:03

ich wrote:My mother tongue is English. I guess, what I was trying to ask was if anyone had the experience of finding difficult transfering a concept from one foreign language to another. As far as I am aware, "hel" in Norwegian works very similarily to the German "ganz," so in theory, I should just be able to use the word "hel" whenever I would use the word "ganz," but for some reason, my brain does not do that naturally because my English instincts are still stronger, so I still prefer to say "alle" in Norwegian for phrases like "all alone" even though it is completely wrong. This is weird to me, however, because my knowledge of German is advanced enough that I find a phrase like "alle alleine" to sound completely wrong, so it seems like I would have learned this concept already. I transfer concepts from English to my new target language, but I won't transfer concepts from my second language to my new target language, even if it is more accurate. It is like I have to start all over with acquiring this concept. I hope that made more sense than my first explanation. It is kind of a weird little thing I noticed. It is hard to explain.

Yeah that explains it better. It does sound odd at first, but I guess it makes sense because English is still your first language. You're also surrounded by an English environment. Maybe instead of trying to tie Norwegian "hel" to German "ganz" in your mind, try to tie it to whatever the English equivalent of "ganz" is?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

ich

Re: TAC 2016 (ich) German, Norwegian, Vietnamese, Spanish

Postby ich » 2017-08-13, 8:41

Hi everyone!
It's been a while. When I went on my vacation to the Black Hills, I started to slack a bit, unfortunately. I guess I just got to used to being lazy. :) When I got back, I had so many circles in my Duolingo to catch up on and I felt overwhelmed. Eventually, I caught back up for the most part and started to work ahead because I was determined to clear the next checkpoint by the time school starts. I was able to at least accomplish that goal.

However, I do have several unfinished circles to review because a huge day with my SRS came around. Because I was doing 30 cards a day there for a while, they eventually got up to the same level together in level 6. So, for the past three days, I went through all my 780 note cards that I created over the summer. I got 22 cards wrong, which disappointed me considerably. Many of the mistakes were just stupid, and others were gender issues. Only about 10 were cards that I completely forgot, but that is still more than I would like. I can be a bit of a perfectionist. As of right now, I have 5 cards in level 6, 22 in level 2, and the rest in level 7. I will go through the level 7 cards on Oct. 11. It will be during the school year when I am more distracted and have practiced less in between, so this will be a difficult task. I will also be rushing through the cards because I do not have very much time to spare in the school year, which may lead to silly errors.

I was hoping to get all my new vocab onto new note cards before the start of school, but I might fall short of that goal. I might have to try to do that during the school year. Just throwing it out there, in the next checkpoint, I get to start the past tense finally, so in the next set of note cards, I will be adding a set of past tense cards to my SRS, despite not getting to those circles yet. I am more than ready to move on to past tense. I should have memorized the past tense with the verbs this summer instead of going through them twice. Live and learn, right? :)

So, my goal for the next week is to just get all caught up with my Duolingo circles that I have already been through. School starts on the 21st, and I already have to start prepping tomorrow. :(

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”