TAC 2016 - vijayjohn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2016 - vijayjohn

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-22, 18:29

uzferry wrote:restricting yourself from (is it correct to use "to restrict from" ?) thinking in a certain language and leaving it all to your native one

Yes, you could say "to restrict yourself from thinking...and to leave it all..." or you could say what you did.

I'm not all that scared about it, but probably any fears I do have about it are caused by uncertainty. I think you raise some good and interesting points, though. You're right, I'm not going to lose my English or anything just because I start thinking in Malayalam. I think I might have also been partly worried about this because, well, it's English, which people all over the world are pressured to learn, and I find that native speakers of English can be picky about what they will or will not accept from other speakers (including other native speakers - in fact, I would hope they were less likely to do this to people who were only learning English).

But yeah, I think you're right, and thanks for sharing the example of your friend! It probably would be a good idea to try it out at least. Now I just have to convince my brain to believe that you're right, too. :lol:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2016-05-22, 19:00

My Russian is non-standard even though it's my first language. I have an accent which Russians immediately identify as Belarusian, and there are also some non-standard elements in my grammar and vocabulary. So what? :) There is a whole country that speaks like me, so I couldn't care less.

Be brave, Vijay! Speaking with slight deviations from the standard is chic.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-23, 1:54

The funny thing is that most of the time, I just speak English in a General American accent and use the same grammatical constructions other Americans use. It's just that every now and then, I say something different, and another native speaker notices. So yeah, it's still my native language; it's just that every now and then, I show unexpected patterns, like pronouncing the i in marriage and considering have a fruit as a grammatical utterance (instead of have a piece of fruit).

That being said, I think I'm slowly starting to think more in Malayalam. Today, it really helped that my brother decided to Skype with our parents today! So I talked with them in Malayalam over the phone even though my sister-in-law and niece probably had no idea wtf I was saying. :P I even taught my brother a new Malayalam word in the process although I don't know whether he still remembers it. :D Like I was talking about my niece with my parents, and then at some point, I said in Malayalam, "...and now she's satisfied," and my brother was like "satisfied???" because he didn't know that word in Malayalam before.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-07, 22:05

Moved on to Tagalog, still working on my grandfather's diary, still probably not making enough of an effort to think in Malayalam. Nothing all that interesting to report, I guess. Oh well!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-24, 0:46

OK, so now I'm ready to move on to Indonesian unless...I guess someone responds on the Southeast Asian languages forum before I do move on? :P I guess I've been kind of hesitant to do that, though.

I've also finished writing out my grandfather's diary. Yay! Now, I'm working on making it publishable, i.e. translating and editing it, reorganizing it slightly, and adding introductions for each chapter along with footnotes.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-06-26, 9:16

vijayjohn wrote:I've also finished writing out my grandfather's diary. Yay! Now, I'm working on making it publishable, i.e. translating and editing it, reorganizing it slightly, and adding introductions for each chapter along with footnotes.

Grandfather's diary? He gave it to you himself or how did you get it? And in which language is it written?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-26, 15:57

Irusia wrote:Grandfather's diary? He gave it to you himself or how did you get it? And in which language is it written?

Well, long story short: I really mean my grandfather's World War II memoirs. They're partly in English but mostly in Malayalam. The original copy actually doesn't exist anymore because termites ate it, but my father had photocopied it before that happened, so we still have the photocopy. (I live with my parents :lol:).

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-06-28, 15:59

When you publish it, can I get a free copy? :partyhat:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-28, 16:03

Okay, sure. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-07-03, 6:10

So I'm still working on my grandfather's diary and have started doing Indonesian, but in the meantime, I also started reading and listening to news in Malayalam last night (not for the first time or anything, but I don't really do this often in any language these days). I've also started learning a bit of Kannada online because I'm trying to push the limits of seeing how useful my current knowledge of Malayalam is and Tamil and stuff feels way too easy. :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-07-16, 6:43

Okay, it's definitely time for me to make an update now!
► Show Spoiler

Only Australian Kriol and Light Warlpiri left! Yay!

Now I wonder how much time I'll have to cycle through all my languages now that I have a job. :P I think I will at least have enough time to do Australian Kriol and Light Warlpiri before it starts, though. :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-08-07, 18:37

OK, now I'm done with everything:
► Show Spoiler

And I actually didn't finish Australian Kriol and Light Warlpiri until just now, after my first week on the job. I'm still not sure how much I'll manage to get done during weekends, so I'm holding off on going through my list again. I wonder how many of my original goals I've actually accomplished so far. Lemme check...

OK, I do have an actual job now, one that can (help) pay for insurance. And I saw Allekanger...but I never took a trip to Washington, D. C. or met up with anybody. I don't have any hope left for Washington at this point tbh (I did go to California, though), but the year isn't over yet, so I might still be able to meet up in some form, whether it's through Meetups.com or just with co-workers or something! I've also managed to make some progress on my Malayalam, and I think maybe my new job will help me with some of my other languages because I have lots of co-workers from various countries speaking many languages.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-08-07, 23:39

You could achieve all your goals, and moreover you found a job where you can practise your languages. That s cool! :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-08-08, 0:19

Antea wrote:You could achieve all your goals

Wait, which goals do you mean? My TAC goals? Because I haven't achieved all the goals I originally stated in this TAC yet.
and moreover you found a job where you can practise your languages. That s cool! :D

Thanks! :)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-08-08, 6:03

Ok, sorry, I thought you had finished the revision of your languages because you said. :yep:

vijayjohn wrote:OK, now I'm done with everything:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-08-09, 1:21

Antea wrote:Ok, sorry, I thought you had finished the revision of your languages because you said. :yep:

vijayjohn wrote:OK, now I'm done with everything:

Yeah, I did, but there were other goals that I had in my TAC besides just going through all of my languages, so I wanted to make sure I understood which set of goals you were talking about. ;)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-09-24, 22:14

Today, in addition to managing to memorize 26 quatrains of an epic poem in Malayalam called Mayura Sandesham that I've been studying lately, I managed to translate a short paragraph of my grandfather's war memoirs and practice reading aloud in Mandarin a bit. I might do a bit more of that tonight; we'll see. :)

I'm glad to finally be starting to work on languages other than Malayalam (apart from just quickly and occasionally reading something in the bathroom or while I'm eating or something :P). Now that I have a job where I work 40 hours a week and I don't even take breaks apart from an hour-long lunch break (God, I need that hour-long break!), any free time I can get has become a lot more precious. Even so, it hasn't been easy for me to decide how to spend it.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-09-30, 4:30

vijayjohn wrote:I'm glad to finally be starting to work on languages other than Malayalam (apart from just quickly and occasionally reading something in the bathroom or while I'm eating or something :P). Now that I have a job where I work 40 hours a week and I don't even take breaks apart from an hour-long lunch break (God, I need that hour-long break!), any free time I can get has become a lot more precious. Even so, it hasn't been easy for me to decide how to spend it.

What's your job?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-09-30, 4:44

Wait, did I never tell you? I work for Apple Maps. They're so secretive that that's all I'm allowed to say. :ohwell: :lol:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-09-30, 5:03

vijayjohn wrote:Wait, did I never tell you? I work for Apple Maps. They're so secretive that that's all I'm allowed to say. :ohwell: :lol:

Then your work has no impact on me. I think in China foreign companies are not allowed to get map data, so even Google Maps and Apple Maps use the data provided by Gaode Maps. :P

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”