TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Saim
Re: TAC 2016 - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

Postby Saim » 2017-01-06, 15:50

voron wrote:Once again, I have got a confirmation that Anki doesn't work for me, or more generally pedantically following a textbook.

[...]

And I'll use facebook posts, songs, blogs, vlogs, basically whatever I can come across and what interests me, as my materials. This random approach worked best for me in the past.

I've come to the same realisation. For the past two days I've been doing half an hour of learning out of the textbook and then half an hour to an hour of learning from native audio and video (for now mostly songs and this guy). I used to try to power through the textbook, doing an entire chapter in a day (including putting the words into Memrise), but I think this combined method is much more effective and allows me to spend more time on it on balance. This plus the pomodoro method and regular exercise have really cut my procrastination dramatically.

This is great, thanks for sharing.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-01-06, 17:10

Saim wrote:This is great, thanks for sharing.

If you like it, check out "Do you want to build a snowman" too, it's sweet (and it's also in MSA):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FOuAeoha6o

These youtube users have a lot more subtitled songs from cartoons, in MSA and Egyptian dialect, check them out.
https://www.youtube.com/user/99meemo99
https://www.youtube.com/user/MohCoolMan

I just started to look into the Syrian media and it is very inspiring that I can find something I really like.
For example this rap song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIhSLu_GGls
It has on screen subtitles in English, and at the link below there are original lyrics in Syrian:
https://www.facebook.com/KlmatAghanyAsm ... 8167313432

I feel guilty that I bulk Disney songs and this rap telling about destruction and deaths in Syria, into the same post... I hope noone will find it diminishing, I didn't mean it this way. I wish that the war in Syria would end soon and all our Syrian brothers get a possibility to return to their homes.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

Postby voron » 2017-01-06, 17:29

https://www.youtube.com/user/MohCoolMan

And I just discovered myself that this guy has recently started a cool new project. As he describes on his page:
The 100 Songs Initiative:
The aim behind this initiative is to show people from all around the world that Arabic is not just a language of religion, or a language associated with terrorism, that it is more than that, it's a language of love, poetry, rejoicing, and celebration of life. Religion needed Arabic for its eloquence, and not the other way around, and throughout the past century, many singers arose and each sang in their own dialect, reflecting their people's dismay and their people's patriotism, and their happiness, and in doing so, reflecting upon the whole Arab pan region.
Arabic is as rich a language as any other language there is, and music was but one of the many channels through which Arabic stands out from the lot, and shines and proves to be one of the most poetic and suited languages for expressing the human sentiments of love, affection, sorrow, and happiness.
The goal here is to post 100 translated video by the end of 2017, and each will be in a dialect, from artists from all over the pan region, and songs written by poets of every Arab nationality.
Requests are welcome.

So it's definitely a channel to follow!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-01-06, 17:45

Saim wrote:for now mostly songs and this guy

This looks great, thanks!

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-01-06, 18:18

Refreshing my Azerbaijani, and Turkish to a lesser extent, has immensely triggered my Arabic wanderlust lately. I would love to at least master basic MSA within the next year or two, and then moving on to either Egyptian or Palestinian Arabic, but we shall see whether it comes to pass. I'm intensely focused on Azeri+Turkish for now and will keep any wanderlusts at bay till at least late spring.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-01-06, 22:24

Michael wrote:Refreshing my Azerbaijani, and Turkish to a lesser extent, has immensely triggered my Arabic wanderlust lately. I would love to at least master basic MSA within the next year or two, and then moving on to either Egyptian or Palestinian Arabic, but we shall see whether it comes to pass. I'm intensely focused on Azeri+Turkish for now and will keep any wanderlusts at bay till at least late spring.

Don't dare you hop off the Turkic train teased by the mirage of Arabic! I will be watching you! :twisted:

Seriously, Turkish and Azeri will help with the Arabic vocabulary immensely. They share like 50% of vocab (nearly every Arabic word in a standard MSA text has a word derived from the same root in Turkish - I proved that on a number of texts). So by learning Azeri, you're learning Arabic too.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-01-07, 1:36

Bu arada, neden fakat Türkçe, Kürtçe ve Arapça senin dil listende vardır? Sırpça, [Beyaz] Rusça, başka dillerin de görmesini zannetmiştim. :shock: Şu dillerden utanan olamazsın!

Bana karşılık verdiğinde Türkçe yazmaktan çekinme! :)
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-07, 2:36

Michael wrote:Bu arada, neden fakat Türkçe, Kürtçe ve Arapça senin dil listende vardır? Sırpça, [Beyaz] Rusça, başka dillerin de görmesini zannetmiştim. :shock: Şu dillerden utanan olamazsın!

voron wrote:
(Also where did all the other languages in your profile go?)

Turkish, Kurdish and Arabic look great together. I don't want to break this symmetry. :)

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-01-07, 3:13

vijayjohn wrote:
Michael wrote:Bu arada, neden fakat Türkçe, Kürtçe ve Arapça senin dil listende vardır? Sırpça, [Beyaz] Rusça, başka dillerin de görmesini zannetmiştim. :shock: Şu dillerden utanan olamazsın!

voron wrote:
(Also where did all the other languages in your profile go?)

Turkish, Kurdish and Arabic look great together. I don't want to break this symmetry. :)

Ah, şimdi daha iyi anlıyorum. Teşekkür ederim sana, vijayjohn! Ancak ben öğüt veririm ki, o (voron) bütün bildiği dillerini listede asamalı, tüm bildiği dillerini bilmek için, ama istemezse yapmaya gerek yok. :)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-01-07, 20:19

Evet Türkçe, Kürtçe ve Arapça beraber çok havalı duruyor benim profilimde, bu güzelliği bozmak istemiyorum. :P

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-01-09, 22:00

Saim wrote:for now mostly songs and this guy

What's the dialect that he speaks in his videos? In one of the videos he told he was born and raised in Dubai but his parents are Jordanian, and replying to one of the comments he says he speaks distinctly from someone from Jordan, so I assume it's Gulf influenced Jordanian?

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-01-10, 3:42

IIRC at some point he says it's a mix of Jordanian and Palestinian. It's likely Palestinians from Jordan still have a distinct way of speaking despite having lived there since 1948.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-14, 13:32

I haven't taken a vacation for like 3 years already, and this year it looks like everything's stable and I'll finally be able to use my vacation right. So I'm thinking about a destination, also from the linguistic aspect!

My friends and I had plans to go to Indonesia but I revisited the ticket prices and it's unlikely. Egypt seems like a very cool option now: it's relatively cheap and it's super interesting! Now since my trip is likely to happen within the next 3 months, I wonder if I should drop any other language and try to learn as much of Egyptian Arabic as possible. :hmm:

UPD (1 minute later): Yeah I've decided I should. :) So I'll be starting Pimsleur shortly.

Does anyone know any collections of videos in Egyptian with subtitles (similar to LangMedia)? I know this one resource (Easy Language):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDQRdJRc3EA

Also this website was shared by Saim:
http://lingualism.com/egyptian-arabic-diaries/

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-02-14, 16:49

I have a hunch that you may only be interested in gratis resources, but if Amazon ships to Belarus and you wouldn't mind shelling 'em over $30, I couldn't possibly recommend the two-volume Kalām Gamīl course enough. It's comprehensive to the point of nearly being excessive. Plus, the lowest price for a new edition of the first volume is as low as $26,95 (RUB 1.544); can't beat that!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-02-14, 21:06

The Kallimni 'Arabi books are also supposed to be decent for Egyptian Arabic, though I've never used them. Look out for MP3s of the Michel Thomas Method for Egyptian Arabic, which are great.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-14, 21:32

Thanks Michael and Eskandar for the advice!

Look out for MP3s of the Michel Thomas Method for Egyptian Arabic, which are great.

Infact I did all of them last year. :) (Or was it 2 years ago?) But the rate was like 10 lessons per day so I can barely remember anything.

When I read the transcripts of Egyptian videos I can understand I think 70-80% so I guess my main focus will be to improve listening comprehension, because when listening I understand close to nothing. (The same goes for Syrian btw).

As for the active part I guess as long as understand, I can come up on the fly with a mix of MSA and Levantine and be understood. :p I don't care if I mix all dialects together. (I used to be a perfectionist and now look what I have become!).

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-14, 21:46

Michael wrote:$26,95 (RUB 1.544)

Michael, we use a different currency in Belarus (Belarusian ruble). I have no idea how much the Russian ruble is worth (but I have a very good idea how much the dollar is). :)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-02-15, 2:11

voron wrote:Infact I did all of them last year. :) (Or was it 2 years ago?) But the rate was like 10 lessons per day so I can barely remember anything.

Oh yeah, now I think I remember you mentioning that! Since you're looking for subtitled videos, you can also check out the fascinating Words of Women from the Egyptian Revolution series on Youtube.

As for the active part I guess as long as understand, I can come up on the fly with a mix of MSA and Levantine and be understood. :p I don't care if I mix all dialects together. (I used to be a perfectionist and now look what I have become!).

Honestly that's how I talk - an extempore mix of MSA, Egyptian, and Levantine. Somehow people always understand me perfectly, even if I don't always understand them.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-15, 3:51

eskandar wrote:Honestly that's how I talk - an extempore mix of MSA, Egyptian, and Levantine. Somehow people always understand me perfectly, even if I don't always understand them.

I suppose the way I speak Romani is a bit like how someone exposed to different varieties of Levantine would speak Arabic. When I speak Romani, it's a weird mixture of Romanian Kalderash, Romanian Lovari, maybe American Kalderash, and probably a few other Romanian varieties but with a few random words from some of the Northern Romani varieties (probably including Sinti) weirdly mixed in. So far, it appears to be intelligible to people familiar with Romanian varieties of Romani but only partially so to (at least some) other Romani-speakers. I never really did get enough of a chance to learn about dialect variation in Romani.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-20, 12:49

... And my vacation plans have been upset again. :/ I may need to move back to Istanbul so for now it's not certain if I'm going to have a vacation or not. It means that my Egyptian Arabic plans are not relevant atm. Well... I'll just continue with the Levantine Arabic then.

I'll try to make my studies more consistent and track the progress here on Unilang.

So here are my resources:
- Pimsleur Eastern Arabic 1 - 27/30
- Syrian Arabic (Functional Course) - I studied from it a while ago so I need to skim through the first few chapters and decide which chapter I'll restart from
- LangMedia videos

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”