TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Car
Forum Administrator
Re: TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

Postby Car » 2019-07-25, 23:24

What would you want to study?
Please correct my mistakes!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-07-26, 9:19

Car wrote:What would you want to study?

Tourism.

I find the idea of working with tourists and use all my languages fascinating, and I can see myself doing that in the future.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-07-26, 18:29

I read story 10 أبو الحسن and I finished level 4, yay!

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-07-26, 19:49

voron wrote:
Car wrote:What would you want to study?

Tourism.

I find the idea of working with tourists and use all my languages fascinating, and I can see myself doing that in the future.

Well, you certainly won't have to move afterwards.
Please correct my mistakes!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-07-29, 11:14

I feel like it's become easier for me to speak Turkish than English. :para:

Considering that I earn money with English, and Turkish is just a hobby, albeit I live in Turkey, it feels a bit uneasy.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-08-03, 15:15

voron wrote:I was recently thinking about how effective reading is compared to Anki. ...

I'm always thinking about whether there's a more effective way to go about this. In the end I don't think anything can compare to reading, but I see Anki as supplementary to reading (or other exposure to native content), not a replacement.

voron wrote:I feel like it's become easier for me to speak Turkish than English. :para:

Considering that I earn money with English, and Turkish is just a hobby, albeit I live in Turkey, it feels a bit uneasy.

Doesn't seem so problematic to me, since your English is excellent, and as long as it's not creating any problems for you at work, who cares if you're even more skilled in another language?
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-08-03, 19:31

eskandar wrote:
voron wrote:I was recently thinking about how effective reading is compared to Anki. ...

I'm always thinking about whether there's a more effective way to go about this. In the end I don't think anything can compare to reading, but I see Anki as supplementary to reading (or other exposure to native content), not a replacement.

You're right... While I realize that Anki increases the effectiveness of learning, my Anki periods never lasted for more than a few months because I got bored of it every time.

Anyway I am happy with my current routine, I can see how my Arabic is improving and I don't want to change anything about it.

I started a new reader, which is a series of stories about prophets:
https://m.kitapyurdu.com/index.php?rout ... _id=371746

I read book 1 which is about Adam and Idris.

Doesn't seem so problematic to me, since your English is excellent, and as long as it's not creating any problems for you at work, who cares if you're even more skilled in another language?

Thanks. Apart from that I sometimes insert Turkish words in my English (and even in my Russian), no, it doesn't create any problems for me. I do consume a lot of contents in English, both for work and by watching youtube and reading stuff on social networks, so I have regular practice. I only wish I read books in English from time to time.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-08-04, 14:51

voron wrote:I only wish I read books in English from time to time.

Why not do it? There are tons of books in English on the subjects you're interested in - maybe reading something on Turkey, Islam, languages, etc. would be fun? If you've never read The Turkish Language Reform: A Catastrophic Success, I highly recommend it.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-08-04, 19:14

eskandar wrote:Why not do it? There are tons of books in English on the subjects you're interested in - maybe reading something on Turkey, Islam, languages, etc. would be fun?

You're right, it can be fun. I have my e-reader which I hardly ever use, so why not giving it a try.

If you've never read The Turkish Language Reform: A Catastrophic Success, I highly recommend it.
Yeah, I read it a few years ago, and I remember disliking the book because I found some of the author's claims exeggerated. Perhaps I need to re-read it to see if it will now produce a different impression.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-08, 0:27

Are you still doing Kurmanji, voron? :P Or too busy for it for now because of work or something?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-08-08, 12:30

vijayjohn wrote:Are you still doing Kurmanji, voron? :P Or too busy for it for now because of work or something?

I am in Minsk now and I spend most of my free time with my family. I'm returning to Turkey this Sunday though.

Would you have time for continuing working on the Hînker book? I've started missing Kurdish so I do think about resuming it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-09, 4:23

voron wrote:Would you have time for continuing working on the Hînker book? I've started missing Kurdish so I do think about resuming it.

It's worked so far, so I don't see why not. :) I'll definitely try to keep working through Hînker with you.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-08-16, 16:25

(tr)
This is a pretty cool education channel, I like it a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrVR30 ... gBhmAe_1uQ

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-08-17, 8:26

(tr)
And I've started using Anki again, for the videos from the education channel above. Yesterday I watched this and created Anki cards for the words I didn't know.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=lMNINhcTfEw

(ar)
The religious reader I've been reading turned out to be too difficult. (Not قصص النبيين, another one that I bought recently in paperback). I need to switch to some other of my books, otherwise I just keep procrastinating.

And I wanderlusted a bit for Ottoman Turkish. I found this beautiful book recently that has pictures of Ottoman signs on buildings in Fatih, a historical quarter in Istanbul, with transcriptions and translations to modern Turkish. And you know that I am a sucker for illustrations.
http://www.fatih.bel.tr/assets/file/Kit ... ifatih.pdf

Also this channel is great for Ottoman:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=wZyRPqfpVHw

EDIT: I think I'll try and do a month or so long periods of doing just one language. Immersing oneself in just one language seems to work better for me than switching between them all the time. This month is for Turkish, and I want to complete the book İnce Memed which I bought last year. I read 100 pages or so last year and dropped it. I will restart from scratch.
Last edited by voron on 2019-08-18, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-08-18, 2:54

voron wrote:And I wanderlusted a bit for Ottoman Turkish.

One step closer to Persian! :twisted:

I found this beautiful book recently that has pictures of Ottoman signs on buildings in Fatih, a historical quarter in Istanbul, with transcriptions and translations to modern Turkish. And you know that I am a sucker for illustrations.
http://www.fatih.bel.tr/assets/file/Kit ... ifatih.pdf

Also this channel is great for Ottoman:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=wZyRPqfpVHw

Very cool stuff. I love Ottoman.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-08-18, 13:06

I read 53 pages out of 436 of İnce Memed.

Yaşar Kemal's language, while captivating and pictoresque, is quite easy, with short sentences and a clear syntax. The only difficult parts may be the use of colloquial language in dialogues, and special vocabulary in descriptions, for example in a description of a harvesting process.

eskandar wrote:

One step closer to Persian!

My wanderlust for anything gets suppressed quickly when I open an Arabic text and realize I only understand sporadic words. :|
Last edited by voron on 2019-08-18, 13:18, edited 2 times in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-18, 19:25

voron wrote:
eskandar wrote:

One step closer to Persian!

My wanderlust for anything gets suppressed quickly when I open an Arabic text and realize I only understand sporadic words. :|

I bet that's still better than most native speakers, though. :D

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-08-19, 4:03

It's been a lot of fun indulging in Unilang, but it's time to get off the Internet and focus more on work. I'll plan to return to the forum next summer. Bye!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-08-19, 17:49

eskandar wrote:It's been a lot of fun indulging in Unilang, but it's time to get off the Internet and focus more on work. I'll plan to return to the forum next summer. Bye!

I doubt that Eskandar will read this but we will miss you, Eskandar!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-08-20, 7:52

(tr)
I got in love with the Video Eğitim channel. Watched a few more videos and added Anki cards for them.

This video from a couple of days ago features a witness of the disastrous earthquake in Istanbul in 1999, and is dedicated to the 20th anniversary of this event.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=aEo6Jzy316s

As I said in one of my previous posts, I arrived to the conclusion that using Anki is inevitable if you want to improve from C1 to C2 -- either Anki, or a huge amount of input in L2, which for native speakers is to a great extent supplied by education, but unless you study or work in your L2 language you will likely lack.

(ku)
I think I will put this language on an indefinite hold. While I still enjoy eavesdropping to people's conversations, speaking this language as a foreigner has become plain dangerous in Turkey's current political climate. And being able to speak to people was my biggest motivation for learning Kurdish.

(ar)
I will return to Arabic after I finish İnce Memed. My focus has shifted to MSA (partly because there are no Syrians who I can talk to here in Antalya) and I want to do just reading for a while.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”