TAC 2015 - dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Antea
Re: TAC 2015 - dEhiN

Postby Antea » 2015-12-14, 15:16

dEhiN wrote:ay! You're taking classes, right? What book are they using in class? Are you also doing self-study?

After I learn the alphabet I will need a resource to use.

Hi, I just posted it in my thread. But I also copy it here:

Поехали! (1)
Станислаб Чернышов

But it is not a grammar book, it's more like a "class" book to read the texts and to do the exercises :hmm:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-15, 0:47

Antea wrote:
dEhiN wrote:ay! You're taking classes, right? What book are they using in class? Are you also doing self-study?

After I learn the alphabet I will need a resource to use.

Hi, I just posted it in my thread. But I also copy it here:

Поехали! (1)
Станислаб Чернышов

But it is not a grammar book, it's more like a "class" book to read the texts and to do the exercises :hmm:

Merci beaucoup! Est-il tout en russe ou en anglais? Parce que le titre est en russe.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2015-12-15, 8:18

Il est complètement écrit en russe :roll:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-15, 8:47

Antea wrote:Il est complètement écrit en russe :roll:

Ahh...alors merci pour la suggestion mais j'ai besoin d'une ressource pour débutants.

Edit: Quel est la traduction pour l'interjection « ahh » ? Par exemple : « Ahh ok, I get it » .
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2015-12-15, 9:34

Ben, je dirais tout simplement: " Ah, d'accord " :hmm:

dEhiN wrote:Edit: Quel Quelle est la traduction pour l'interjection « ahh » ? Par exemple : « Ahh ok, I get it » .

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-15, 9:39

Antea wrote:Ben, je dirais tout simplement: " Ah, d'accord " :hmm:

dEhiN wrote:Edit: Quel Quelle est la traduction pour l'interjection « ahh » ? Par exemple : « Ahh ok, I get it » .

Merci. And I can't believe I made a simple mistake! :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-15, 16:23

dEhiN wrote:
Antea wrote:Ben, je dirais tout simplement: " Ah, d'accord " :hmm:

You have no idea how many times I've done that (and probably will continue to do that). :lol:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-15, 19:14

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
Antea wrote:

You have no idea how many times I've done that (and probably will continue to do that). :lol:

Yeah I think in that case I started writing quel before I knew my sentence so my default was the masculine form. If I know my sentence ahead of time, I write the correct form.

Funnily enough, I “write” the correct form in my head when thinking in French. To force myself to get used to gendered writing, I think of the correct spelling even though it's in my head.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-23, 5:25

I haven't done any language learning these past 10 days. Well I did start reading the introduction of the TY Sanskrit book I have, but only a few pages. I'd been struggling emotionally - feeling quite down and depressed. But that seems to have lifted. I did watch a fair amount of anime during this time, so I've in one sense practiced some Japanese.

I'm not sure what I'll do for next year's TAC. Part of me wants to focus solely on Tamil for the first few months. Especially since my Assimil Pocket Tamil book should've come in by now, or will be coming in soon. I really would like to be able to use Tamil, and right now, apart from a few words, I know nothing. Another part of me wants to take out some of the languages from my list. Don't get me wrong - I would eventually love to know at least a little bit in all of those languages plus more. But I was thinking today how I'm not sure I'm willing to put in the time needed for each of those 20. I think at this point, studying some of them might be more a drag than anything else. So maybe I'll scale it down to ones I really think I will spend time on.

I'm also thinking of going back to school. I've thought about it before, but this time I'm thinking about it from the pov of a career. I'm deciding between studying audio engineering or French studies. Basically between a career pursuing music or languages.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-24, 6:24

[flag=]fr[/flag]Youpi! Le livre d'Assimil Le tamoul de poche a finalement arrivé! J'ai commencé de le lire un peu. Il enseigne l'écriture mais aussi il utilise la romanisation.
[flag=]en[/flag]Yay! The Assimil book Le tamoul de poche finally arrived! I started reading a little bit of it. It teaches the script but also uses romanization.

[flag=]fr[/flag]Voila une photo de l'alphabet:
[flag=]en[/flag]Here's a photo of the alphabet:
Alphabet.jpg

[flag=]fr[/flag]Et apparemment ce livre était originalement publié en allemand, (et?) ensuite traduit en français:
[flag=]en[/flag]And apparently the book was originally published in German, and then translated into French:
Orig_German.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-12-24, 6:47

Nice! Does it eventually stop using the romanization? I find that if there's both the script (Hangul*, Kana/Kanji, Cyrillic) and the romanization, I tend to rely too much on the romanization and that's obviously a hindrance on fluency in reading.

*I wish KPOP lyric videos would just have the hangul! Or like, there be versions with and versions without it.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-24, 7:02

No it doesn't seem to. It does do this cool thing of writing the Tamil (in script), then the romanization, then a literal French translation (like word-for-word rendering) and then the proper French translation. And for word lists, it gives the Tamil, romanization, and then French.

Ex1.jpg

Ex2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-24, 7:08

I think maybe Colloquial Tamil eventually stops using Roman script, but I don't really remember. I don't think I've ever seen another book in print that stopped using Roman script like that for Tamil.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-24, 7:17

vijayjohn wrote:I think maybe Colloquial Tamil eventually stops using Roman script, but I don't really remember. I don't think I've ever seen another book in print that stopped using Roman script like that for Tamil.

From what I remember, Colloquial Tamil only used Roman script! Which was why I didn't like it. At least it did for the first chapter. And I've seen resources that use only the Tamil script, only romanization, or both. If both, some resources eventually stop using the Tamil script (I have books like that - they just teach the script but then only use romanization), or continue to use both. Never seen one that starts with both then drops romanization.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-24, 7:21

Oh okay, my bad then (again!). :lol:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-12-24, 7:23

That's a little disappointing :( I think it'd be better if they did it for the first few lessons to get you introduced to the script and then dropped the romanization. Oh well. I guess they're accommodating those who just want to focus on speaking Tamil :ohwell: . Can't please everybody.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-24, 7:25

Well, on my (very, very badly designed) website for teaching Malayalam that I started when I was like twelve, I tried to do just that. :lol: Like I tried to please everybody by having lessons for the alphabet, then a short phrasebook with emergency phrases (or at least that was the intention), and then more detailed lessons for people who wanted to go on with learning the language. I had each of the detailed lessons available in Malayalam script both with and without the Romanization. (I never got very far with it, unfortunately :lol:).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-24, 7:33

Yeah I guess the resources that usually use romanization (exclusively or after teaching you the script) are things like phrasebooks or these "quickly learn the basics" books: Learn Tamil in a Month, Learn Tamil Through English (ok so this one tells you basically it will use romanization in its title!), and Tamil Self-Taught.

The ones that use script either exclusively or with romanization seem to be focused on teaching a solid foundation, like Assimil or that Teach Yourself Tamil book I've mentioned before.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-12-24, 7:42

:( Wonder how resources for like, Bulgarian or Japanese do with the scripts. I imagine there would be a good few for Bulgarian (or other languages written in Cyrillic) would drop the romanization.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-24, 7:55

Yeah I imagine so. Actually you've made me question why these Tamil resources don't drop romanization. Otherwise how can the student get used to reading the script?

I imagine Bulgarian and other Slavic languages that use Cyrillic have resources that drop romanization. And Meera just confirmed that there are Hindi and Japanese resources that drop romanizaiton.

I wonder if resources for the "smaller" languages that use Cyrillic drop romanization? Maybe books for "smaller" languages don't?

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”