TAC 2016 - Levi (DE, EN, ES, HU, RO)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2016 - Levi (DE, EN, ES, HU, RO)

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-02-17, 16:51

I had never heard of "brown nosing" until now. :o :lol:

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-02-17, 20:59

Dormouse559 wrote:Well, you could call any politeness strategy "fake" because you are acting in a way you otherwise wouldn't, often because it's to your social advantage.

True.

There's a saying: "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar".

I'm guessing that's the classy way to explain the purpose of ass kissing. :mrgreen:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-02-17, 21:19

vijayjohn wrote:I had never heard of "brown nosing" until now. :o :lol:

That was the dominant expression in my high school days, so it sounds pretty dated/juvenile to me now.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-13, 18:54

[flag=]de[/flag]

I started rewatching a sci-fi show that was my favourite when I was a kid. Currently I'm at episode 6.
Luckily enough, I forgot most of what it was about so I'm really enjoying it.

100 more episodes to come. :mrgreen:

The only problematic part is that whenever I don't understand a word that word kind of remains a mistery, because I'm not going to pause the whole thing just to look it up. Although sometimes context helps.

There is another show that I'm planning to watch, but then one with subtitles, so the first one would help me improve my listening skills and this one my reading skills and my vocabulary because if I see a new word I instantly know what it means.

[flag=]hu[/flag]

Thanks to France-eesti's questions I'm starting to understand Hungarian's grammar more in depth. :yep:

One thing I would like to do is learn about other Finno-Ugric languages, like not to actually learn to speak them, but just to know about their grammars and the way they work, just to compare it with ours.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-06-13, 20:24

Levike wrote:[flag=]hu[/flag]

Thanks to France-eesti's questions I'm starting to understand Hungarian's grammar more in depth. :yep:

One thing I would like to do is learn about other Finno-Ugric languages, like not to actually learn to speak them, but just to know about their grammars and the way they work, just to compare it with ours.

No idea I was of any use for you :lol: Good news! But many thanks for your help - this is very nice!!!
Which will be your Finno-Ugric experience? Finnish or Estonian? How is your Studying in Eesti project going? 8-) (or am I obsolete there?)
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-13, 21:07

france-eesti wrote:Which will be your Finno-Ugric experience? Finnish or Estonian?

Probably both, but just little bits and pieces.

I'll wait until summer, right now I still have some stuff with university, until then I'll just stick with German.

How is your Studying in Eesti project going? 8-)

Well, I'll have to apply next year, so there's enough time for that. :yep:

And there's still a little part in me saying I should pick Prague. :evil:

But then Tallinn is an easy objective (gondolom, remélem), the only requirements are that you pass all your exams and then I'm guessing there won't be that many people applying for Estonia, because "cold country up there in the middle of nowhere" and because most people want to go to Southern (party) Europe anyway. :silly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4156MkqX8g

This vid already gave me a lot of ideas what to do in Tallinn, especially to go up the Tv tower at 10:50.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-06-14, 8:14

Levike wrote:And there's still a little part in me saying I should pick Prague. :evil:

But then Tallinn is an easy objective (gondolom, remélem), the only requirements are that you pass all your exams and then I'm guessing there won't be that many people applying for Estonia, because "cold country up there in the middle of nowhere" and because most people want to go to Southern (party) Europe anyway. :silly:

You're right, this is a dilemna!
And I'll be truthful - after having done time in University in Portugal (yeah, Southern (Party) Europe) - it was awesome and an experience I'll never forget. That's why now I would vote for Tallinn if the choice was mine (and is Tartu in the shortlist too? It seems their University is pretty famous and the city looks really cute!) and you can still visit Prague later or something...
You know last week or the week before it was +28°C in Estonian while it was 15°C in France... So maybe not always so cold and the middle of nowhere!
Anyway when do you have to take your decision?

(Szeretnék a helyzetedben lenni - egy diák lenni és egy külföldi egyetemet választani) :ohwell:
Akarok ismet fiatal lenni és Tallinnben vagy Tartuban tanulni! :cry:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-14, 9:59

france-eesti wrote:That's why now I would vote for Tallinn if the choice was mine (and is Tartu in the shortlist too? It seems their University is pretty famous and the city looks really cute!) and you can still visit Prague later or something...

Tartu isn't on the list, Tallinn is the only one from Estonia.
But even if it was I'd choose Tallinn because it's the capital.

There's another one in Madeira (Portugal), I like to scare my parents saying I'll go there with Titanic 2.0. :twisted:

Anyway when do you have to take your decision?

Next year, in April. Literally plenty of time.

(Szeretnék a helyzetedben lenni - egy diák lenni és egy külföldi egyetemet választani)
Akarok ismét fiatal lenni és Tallinnban vagy Tartuban tanulni! :cry:

Jó, de te felnőtt vagy, családdal.
Megbeszéled velük és mehettek akárhová mint most a nyáron Budapestre. :yep:

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-06-14, 12:29

Levike wrote:There's another one in Madeira (Portugal), I like to scare my parents saying I'll go there with Titanic 2.0. :twisted:

Ah sure you do that!!! And I am utterly jealous if you go there... Funchal must be wonderful (but here again, I can't tell, I remained in continental Portugal). Is this Madeira business serious or just something to tease your parents with? :lol:

Jó, de te felnőtt vagy, családdal.

egy felnőtt lenni, ez egy átverés.
(De egy családa lenni, nem) :lol:
és nagyon útaztam az Europaiban amikor fiatal és (felelőtlen) diák voltam :D

Ha akarsz segitseghetem neked a Portugál :D

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-14, 12:45

france-eesti wrote:And I am utterly jealous if you go there...

If I went there, then it's me who would be afraid. :whistle:

Although, I must recognise, it doesn't look that bad.

Is this Madeira business serious or just something to tease your parents with? :lol:

No, I'm not joking, it really is an option.

egy felnőtt lenni, ez egy átverés.
(De egy családdal lenni, nem) :lol:
és nagyon útaztam az Europában, amikor fiatal és (felelőtlen) diák voltam :D

Ha akarsz segíthetek neked a portugálul tanulni :D

Nem hiányzik a spanyol és román mellé még egy Rómából exportált nyelv. De kösz mindenképp.

Tanultam régebb portugálul, érdekes nyelv, de nem láttam hasznát és abbahagytam.
És nagyon nem tetszett nekem, hogy óriás a különbség a braziliai és a portugáliai portugál között.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-06-14, 20:10

Levike wrote:Tanultam régebb portugálul, érdekes nyelv, de nem láttam hasznát és abbahagytam.
És nagyon nem tetszett nekem, hogy óriás a különbség a braziliai és a portugáliai portugál között.

Miért abbahagytál? :wink: Mennyi idő tanultál?
Szerintem ez éleg hasznos. Portugália, Brazília, Angola, Zöld-foki Köztársaság (szép név!), Mozambik, Azori...
Szerintem, nincs egy nagy különbség a braziliai és a portugáliai portugál között. Hát persze a kiejtés, néhány szót... De amikor "portugálul" beszélek, a brazílok engem értenek 8-)
(Vagy színlelnek)

Ha már spanyolul beszélsz, portugálul nagyon könnyű lesz 8-)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-14, 20:26

france-eesti wrote:Miért hagytad abba? :wink: Mennyi időt tanultál?

Körülbelül egy évig. Még tudom érteni a nyelvet, nagy részét, de a beszédem már jól rozsdás.

Szerintem ez éleg hasznos. Portugália, Brazília, Angola, Zöld-foki Köztársaság (szép név!), Mozambik, Azori...
Szerintem, nincs egy nagy különbség a braziliai és a portugáliai portugál között. Hát persze a kiejtés, néhány szó...

Pontosan, a nyelv hasznos azokban az országokban, miképpen itt Közép-Kelet Európában nem.
És az egyetlen portugálul beszélő ország, ahová valószínűleg mennék, az Portugália és csak vakációra.

Amúgy, nekem 3 idegen nyelv bőven elég. :yep: Inkább tudjak 5 nyelvet rendesen és helyesen, mint probálkozzak 100-at megtanulni és úgy beszélni mint egy 5 éves.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-06-15, 9:09

Levike wrote:Amúgy, nekem 3 idegen nyelv bőven elég. :yep: Inkább tudjak 5 nyelvet rendesen és helyesen, mint probálkozzak 100-at megtanulni és úgy beszélni mint egy 5 éves.

Igazad van. Ha túl sok nyelvet tanulsz, fogsz keverni őket és őrült mint én lenni :silly:
De ha még portugálul értesz , könnyű lesz ismét tanulni ha egy nap kívansz :yep:
Néha a jövő tudjuk :para: tavaly nem tudtam, hogy magyart tanulnám!

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-12-06, 21:54

[flag=]de[/flag]

I'm going to restart taking German courses next year in January. 8-)

The only problem is that it'll be 3 hours a week. Not much but combined with 8 hours/day of work + university I'm probably going to find myself sleeping on the keyboard. Yeay! :mrgreen:

+ At the moment I'm watching Westworld with German subtitles. Really good series.

[flag=]pl[/flag]

Never would have thought I'd use Polish, but it turned out to be really helpful in understanding Slovak and Czech inscriptions the past week when we went to these countries.

2 funny stories: :)

In Bratislava I had to go to a shop only to buy water 'cause we didn't have any at the hotel and I go into one where there's only like a 50 year old lady. I ask her if I could get water in English and she just stared, then I said it again in my very broken Polish and she actually understood and gave me the one I wanted. Then at the end she smiles at me and says "you speak good Russian".

And in Prague we were in a flat and as I entered the building someone was at the same time coming down the stairs. She said Good afternoon in Czech so I repeated the way I heard it. Then she started to tell me some very long story in Czech, I barely understood every 20th word, but I heard "voda" and "faktura". I didn't interrupt her 'cause I thought it's funny. Then she said goodbye and I did too.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-07, 20:01

What do "voda" and "faktura" mean? And can I start calling Polish broken Russian now? :D

I didn't know you knew some Polish. That's really cool! The only word I pretty much know is czesc.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-12-07, 21:53

dEhiN wrote:What do "voda" and "faktura" mean? And can I start calling Polish broken Russian now? :D

No, but you may call Russian broken Polish. :twisted:

voda = water
faktura = bill

I didn't know you knew some Polish.

I only know the very basic stuff. Sort of A1, but I forgot lot.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2017-05-13, 13:19

[flag=]en[/flag]

Today I had to do an English exam, because it's one of the requirements for Erasmus and the followin happened:

I realised that I have no idea how to pronounce a new word if it's not of Latin origin.
There was almost like a one page long text and there were some bird names and I felt relief knowing this is a reading exercise and not a speaking one. :mrgreen:

But anyway, I only need a B1 level certificate, so I'm not stressed.

[flag=]de[/flag]

Finished the first season of Stranger Things.
The last episode I watched in English and it was really weird hearing different voices for every character.

And I also convinced myself to watch Attack on Titan. Watched every episode in a weekend.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-13, 21:28

With German dubbing? On Netflix I only can get anime in Japanese. :hmm:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-13, 21:52

Osias wrote:With German dubbing?

I was going to ask the same thing. :P

Levike

Postby Levike » 2017-05-14, 9:56

Osias wrote:With German dubbing?

księżycowy wrote:I was going to ask the same thing. :P

Yes. https://kinox.to/ :)

There are a bunch of German sites where you can watch dubbed series.
The only disadvantage is that you always have to wait 1 extra week until it's dubbed.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”