Linguaphile's 2023 Estonian and Spanish reading log

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Linguaphile
Re: Linguaphile's 2023 Estonian and Spanish reading log

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-12, 21:59

(et) from Kuidas ma keeli ȍpin by Kató Lomb
    käibetõde rule of thumb
    pesukurikas washing paddle, laundry bat
    töölisklass working class
    prohmakas blunder
    verest välja lööma to frighten, fill with fear; to be frightened

Eelroaks serveeriti kala, ja külaline alustas vestlust nii: "Minu suhte töölisklassiga määras eluks ajaks fakt, et kuni kaheksateistkümnenda eluaastani sõin ma iga päev õhtuks krevetti." Kui ma oleksin humorist, kirjutaksin, et nuga, millega ma kala sõin, läks mulle kurke. Fakt on see, et ülesanne lõi mind verest välja: kui tõlgiksin selle sõna-sõnalt, teeksin prohmaka. See, mis Jaapanis on proletariaadi toit, on Ungaris luksusbankettide hõrgutis! Käesolevaga palun vabandust kõikidelt sõnaraamatutoimetajatelt: ma olin sunnitud selle edasi andma nii, et "kaheksateistkümnenda eluaastani sõin ma hommikuti jahusuppi."
    Fish was served as an appetizer, and the guest started the conversation like this: "My relationship with the working class was determined for life by the fact that I ate shrimp every day for dinner until I was eighteen years old." If I were a humorist, I would write that the knife that I used to eat the fish got stuck in my throat. The fact is that the task made my blood run cold: if I were to translate it word-for-word, I would commit a blunder. That which is working-class food in Japan is a luxurious banquet delicacy in Hungary! With this I hereby ask forgiveness from all dictionary editors: I was forced to express this as "until I was eighteen years old I ate flour soup each morning."

(Reading this in Estonian about the cultural differences involved in a Japanese-to-Hungarian translation, and then translating it from Estonian to English, makes me wonder how it was originally written in Hungarian as well, or how it was translated from Hungarian to English or Japanese for those editions of the book, etc., since, for example, my Estonian-to-English translation means it now involves four different languages and cultures rather than the original two.)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-13, 15:01

Linguaphile wrote:Reading this in Estonian about the cultural differences involved in a Japanese-to-Hungarian translation, and then translating it from Estonian to English, makes me wonder how it was originally written in Hungarian as well, or how it was translated from Hungarian to English or Japanese for those editions of the book, etc., since, for example, my Estonian-to-English translation means it now involves four different languages and cultures rather than the original two.

I found the English version online, here. It is as interesting as I thought it might be - the "flour soup" hasn't changed much (it's "roux soup" in the official English translation), but it's eaten for dinner instead of in the morning and the shrimp has become crab, the knife in the throat has become a fork frozen in the mouth, and instead of having her blood run cold she's turned pale:
Fish was served as an appetizer. The guest started the conversation this way: “My solidarity with the
working class was decided for life by having crab for dinner every evening until I was 18.” If I were a humorist, I would write that my fork froze in my mouth. But in fact I turned pale: if I translated the sentence word for word, I would make a blunder. What the proletariat eats every day in Japan is served at gourmet banquets in Hungary.
I hereby apologize to all lexicographers. All I could do was translate the gentleman’s sentence this way: “My solidarity with the working class was decided for life by having roux soup for dinner every evening until I was 18."

Linguaphile wrote:
    Fish was served as an appetizer, and the guest started the conversation like this: "My relationship with the working class was determined for life by the fact that I ate shrimp every day for dinner until I was eighteen years old." If I were a humorist, I would write that the knife that I used to eat the fish got stuck in my throat. The fact is that the task made my blood run cold: if I were to translate it word-for-word, I would commit a blunder. That which is working-class food in Japan is a luxurious banquet delicacy in Hungary! With this I hereby ask forgiveness from all dictionary editors: I was forced to express this as "until I was eighteen years old I ate flour soup each morning."

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-15, 17:56

I'm still reading the same two books as before but not finding a lot of new words in either one, so as I continue them I've also added an additional book to my currently-reading list. El siglo soviético is 1100+ pages, so it's a good one to read along with other books - if I try my usual plan of finishing one before starting another, I'll probably get impatient and set it aside. But if I read it along with other books, although it will take me longer, I'll keep coming back to it and eventually finish.
(I actually started reading it in English, but decided that learning some new Spanish words along with the content would be an added bonus, so now I have the book in both languages and given its length I might switch back and forth between the two. Actually, already I've learned new words in both languages from it!)

mõttemõlgutus rumination, musing
(es) from Extraña par mí: una vida en una nueva lengua by Eva Hoffman
    fisgarse poke around, pry
(es) from El siglo soviético by Karl Schlögel
    birlar to steal, swipe
    bocacalle turn-off, side street
    coche de punto taxi, carriage for hire
    refulgente brilliant, splendid
    tajo worksite, workplace
(en) from The Soviet Century by Karl Schlögel
    antimacassar small cover for the back or arms of a chair
    flaneur one who wanders aimlessly or at a leisurely pace
    palimpsest manuscript from which writing has been removed and then covered with new writing
    redound greatly contribute

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-16, 15:09

pärsitud inhibited
    vastu hakkama to struggle
    õigusega rightfully, rightly so

Eriti hea on õppida hommikutundidel - kes vara ärkab, sel sõnavara tärkab.
    It's especially good to study in the morning hours - the early bird catches the word.
    In Estonian the rhyme literally means "he who wakes up early has a growing vocabulary" or more poetically "who early awakes, his word-treasure germinates."
    alfombra de rizo loop-pile carpet
    miriñaque hoop skirt
    zalameramente unctuously
    zarrapastroso shabby

A long quote, because it's another one of those topics close to my heart:
    Esta mañana, en los cochambrosos barracones de madera donde nos dan clase, nos han puesto nombres nuevos. Ha sido suficiente una breve charla entre el señor Rosenberg y la profesora, una mujer de aspecto agradable que nos lanza miradas reconfortantes, pero que ha visto ir y venir a demasiada gente como para ponerse sentimental por un nombre. El mío, «Ewa», es fácil de cambiar por su equivalente inglés: «Eva». El de mi hermano, «Alina», es más problemático, pero después de pensárselo un poco, el señor Rosenberg y la profesora deciden que «Elaine» es bastante parecido. Mi hermana y yo agachamos la cabeza sin decir una palabra ante este bautismo insensible. Después la profesora nos presenta a la clase pronunciando mal nuestro apellido —«Wydra»— de una forma desconocida para nuestros oídos. Nos dirigimos a un banco al fondo del aula; no ha pasado gran cosa, solo un pequeño reajuste mental de proporciones sísmicas. La distorsión de nuestros nombres los aleja un poco de nosotros, y ese alejamiento produce una fisura por la cual se infiltra el duende infinito de la abstracción. Nuestros nombres polacos no solo servían para referirse a nosotras: eran nuestros, tan seguramente como nuestros ojos y manos. Estos nuevos apelativos, que ni siquiera sabemos pronunciar, no nos pertenecen. Son etiquetas identificativas, signos incorpóreos que indican objetos que resultamos ser mi hermana y yo. Ocupamos nuestros sitios, en una habitación llena de rostros desconocidos, con nombres que nos convierten en extrañas para nosotras mismas.

This morning, in the filthy wooden barracks where they teach us, they've given us new names. A short chat between Mr. Rosenberg and the teacher, a nice-looking woman who gives us comforting looks but who has seen too many people come and go to get sentimental about a name, has sufficed. Mine, "Ewa", is easy to change into its English equivalent: "Eva". My sister's, "Alina", is more problematic, but after giving it some thought, Mr. Rosenberg and the teacher decide that "Elaine" is close enough. Faced with this insensitive baptism my sister and I hang our heads without saying a word. Afterwards, the teacher presents us to the class mispronouncing our last name, "Wydra", in a manner unrecognizable to our ears. We head for a bench at the back of the room; nothing big has happened, just a small mental readjustment of seismic proportions. The distortion of our names separates them a bit from us, and this separation creates a rift into which the infinite goblin of abstraction enters. Our Polish names didn't just refer to us; they were us, as surely as our eyes and hands. These new designations that we don't even know how to pronounce don't belong to us. They are identifying tags, disembodied signs that indicate objects that turn out to be my sister and I. We take our places in a room full of unknown faces, with names that make us strangers to ourselves.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-17, 13:20

naljaviluks for the fun of it (like naljapärast)
    üksipulgi painstaking
    combinación slip (undergarment)
    ello id (ello, yo y superyó id, ego and superego)
    sacar partido de make the most of, profit from, take advantage of
    apátrida stateless
    desglosar itemize, break down
    inhabilitación disqualification, disbarment

I liked the wording of this phrase with its metaphor of the "waiting room of history"; here it is describing Russian exiles after the Russian Revolution, but it could describe refugees from any place or time:
    Una sociedad en la sala de espera de la historia, con la esperanza de poder regresar a su hogar
    A society in the waiting room of history, with the hope of being able to return home

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-18, 13:43

alusepanija initiator, founder
    aupaklik deferential
    lupjuma (= lubjastuma) to calcify
    meieisapalve Lord's Prayer, Pater Noster
    pihiisa confessor
    päevavaras dallier, good-for-nothing
    takjanupp thistlehead
    desfasado old-fashioned, behind the times
    casa de subastas auction house
    de nuevo cuño fresh, new, recently created
    en desbandada in all directions, helter-skelter
    esclusa lock (of a canal), sluice gate

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-20, 13:50

enesekriitikakalduvus tendency towards self-criticism
    metseen patron (i.e. of the arts, literature, or science)
    polühistor polymath
    puudujääk deficiency, deficit, shortage
    tarbetekst practical text, non-literary text, technical text
    vaheldusrikas protean, chequered, variable
    ära elama live off, live on, make a living by

Tugeva enesekriitikakalduvusega, introvertsele, reflekteerivale isiksusele sobib kolmest keelekutsest ainult tõlkija oma. See töö toimub palju vaheldusrikkamates raamides kui õpetaja oma: selle kõige silmapaistvamad esindajad - ilukirjanduse tõlkijad - ei saa endale lubada luksust spetsialiseeruda ainult ühele stiilile vôi ühele kirjanikunatuurile. Ka tarbetekstide tõlkijate rohkearvulises seltskonnas pole palju selliseid, kes suudavad jääda näiteks ainult masinaehituse või ainult kunstiajaloo temaatika piiresse.

For an introverted, reflective individual with a strong tendency towards self-criticism, only one of the three language-related professions is suitable: that of a translator. This work occurs in a much more varied framework than that of a teacher: its most prominent representatives - literary translators - can't permit themselves the luxury of specializing in a single style or a single type of writer. Among the more numerous translators of non-literary texts there are likewise only a few who are able to limit themselves to, for example, only mechanical engineering or art history.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-21, 16:31

(et) from Kuidas ma keeli ȍpin by Kató Lomb (finished this book)
    heldekäeline munificent
    korallrahu coral reef
    kõigutamatult unflappably, stolidly
    mahajooksnud sukasilm run (in stocking)
    marurahvuslus excessive nationalism, chauvinism
    südamesiirdamine heart transplant
    tulevikuväljavaade future outlook
    Vähi Pöörijoon Tropic of Cancer

Tõlgi elu on täis õpetlikke ja meeliülendavaid, südantrõõmustavaid ja mõtlemapanevaid mälestusi.
    An interpreter's life is filled with enlightening and uplifting, heart-warming and thought-provoking moments.
    a flor de piel on edge, close to the surface, raw (emotions)
    bandazo swerve, lurch
    fonador speech (adjective)
    contrafuerte buttress
    estajanovista Stakhanovite (exceptionally hardworking person)
    máquina expendedora vending machine

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-24, 16:29

al tuntún pell-mell, helter-skelter
    argucia straw man argument, scheme
    coseidad thingness
    fariseísmo hypocrisy
    jolgorio revelry, ruckus
    lujuria lust, carnal desire
    a brazo partido tooth and nail (luchar a brazo partido fight fiercely, fight tooth and nail)
    cinéfilo movie buff, cinephile
    de balde for free, for nothing, in vain
    lamparita de Ilich Ilyich lamp (lightbulb hanging from the ceiling without a shade)
    parque móvil motor pool, vehicle fleet

Proper names (people, places):
    Guénrij Genrikh (Генрих)
    Gueorgui Georgiy (Георгий)
    Tiflis Tbilisi

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-26, 16:51

acicalada well-dressed (acicalarse to get dressed up, get tidied up)
    atar en corto to keep on a tight leash
    burdeos burgundy, maroon

Todo ser humano está compuesto de cuatro elementos: físico, intelectual, espiritual y creativo. Si dedico dos horas diarias a desarrollar cada parte, puedo convertirme en lo que se llamaría más tarde "un ser plenamente realizado".
    Every human being is made of four elements: physical, intellectual, spiritual and creative. If I dedicate two hours a day to developing each part, I can become what will later be called "a fully accomplished being".
    coquería coking plant
    tren de laminado rolling mill (in metalworking)

Incluso la orgía de humo y hollín que se cierne sobre la ciudad día tras día y noche tras noche sigue un ritmo misterioso. Even the orgy of smoke and soot that looms over the city day after day and night after night follows a mysterious rhythm.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-28, 15:14

a pulso freehand; through hard work; on one's own
    avituallar to provide food, supply food (vitualla provisions, victuals)
    desgañitarse to scream at the top of one's lungs; to lose one's voice, become hoarse
    meter baza to butt in
    charanga brass band
    crear escuela to set a trend, blaze a trail
    escorzo (artistic) perspective, foreshortening
    hacer eses to stagger, zigzag
    irse a pique to go under, sink, crash and burn

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-30, 13:14

almenara spillway, overflow ditch
    rocalla loose stones, pebbles

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-31, 14:18

conato (failed) attempt
    novatada practical joke, prank
    tufillo whiff
    mantillo mulch, topsoil
    sacar el mejor partido de la situación to make the best of the situation

Here's an interesting one - nice to see how the wordplay is translated:
    Describe su viaje de Leningrado a Medvezhegorsk como viaje «del palazzo a las palatki (tiendas de campaña)» y «del barroco a las barracas».
    He described his journey from Leningrad to Medvezhyegorsk as a journey 'from the Palazzo to the tents [palatki]' and 'from the baroque to the barrack'.

The wordplay was originally written in Russian by Nikolai Antsiferov, quoted in German translation by Karl Schlögel, then translated from German to Spanish and from German to English - with the wordplay kept in each version. Of course, it works because of the use of shared loanwords and maintaining the Russian word палатки/palatki throughout.
    The Spanish version, where the Russian word "palatki" is just inserted into the sentence and then explained, flows better than the English version, where the English translation (with no wordplay) is used instead and then translated to Russian to show the wordplay.

Compare:
    1 'from the Palazzo to the palatki [tents]' and 'from the baroque to the barrack'
    2 'from the Palazzo to the tents [palatki]' and 'from the baroque to the barrack'
    The first version sounds better to me. It flows nicely, like the original.

Russian original: от палаццо до палатки, от барокко до барака
    [ɐt pɐˈɫat͡sːo də pɐˈɫatkʲɪ, ɐt bɐˈrokːə də bɐˈrakə]

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-04-02, 15:11

hacer novillos play hooky, ditch class
    Mango de Texas Texas Panhandle
    medias tintas wishy-washy, halfway
    andar con medias tintas to beat around the bush, be wishy-washy
    nunca fue aficionada a las medias tintas never liked to do things halfway
    rancio abolengo ancient lineage, long-established lineage
    regaliz licorice
    la única pega the only snag, the only catch

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-04-03, 5:54

(es) from Extraña para mí: una vida en una nueva lengua by Eva Hoffman
    amañado rigged, fixed
    biselado bevelled
    cincelado chiseled; chasework
    desmotadora = desmotadora de algodón cotton gin
    nacarado pearly
    vericueto dark corner, twists and turns, rough patch
    vulnerar infringe

Me obsesionan las palabras. Las recolecto, las guardo como una ardilla que almacena nueces para el invierno, las engullo y ansio más. Si lograse ingerir suficientes, entonces quizá podría apropiarme del idioma, conseguir que formase parte de mi psiquismo y de mi cuerpo.
    I am obsessed with words. I collect them, I save them like a squirrel saving nuts for winter, I gobble them up and hunger for more. If I can ingest enough of them, maybe I will be able to claim the language as my own, to manage to make it part of my mind and body.

These remind me of some other quotes I've saved from elsewhere over the years - quotes I saved and memorized because they resonate with me. I've added them (in shortened versions, because of the character limit) to my forum signature. The Eva Hoffman quote is a bit different in my new signature because in the signature I've used Hoffman's actual words in English, whereas above the English is my own translation of the Spanish version.

I’m constantly hunting for words. I would describe the process like this: every day I go into the woods carrying a basket. I find words all around: on the trees, in the bushes, on the ground (in reality: on the street, during conversations, while I read). I gather as many as possible. But it’s never enough: I have an insatiable appetite. (Jhumpa Lahiri, “In Other Words”)

Each word I make mine is a pearl, a diamond, a ruby I will someday string into a necklace and wear everywhere, as if I had been born rich in English. (Judith Ortiz Cófer, “Call Me María”)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-04-05, 16:59

abalorio glass bead, trinket
    metralla shrapnel
    enseñar la patita to show one's true colors
    estafeta post office
    subsiguiente subsequent
    apañar to manage, come to terms with, fix, arrange
    atenerse a deal with, live with, accept
    laminadora rolling mill
    ucase ukase, Russian czar's proclamation, Russian presidential decree

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-04-06, 13:41

almizcle musk
    antigualla relic, antiquity
    cebada barley
    jugar malas pasadas play dirty tricks
    saltar a la pata coja hop
(et) from Eesti elulookirjandus by Rutt Hinrikus
    esileküündiv prominent
    jõukohane feasible
    omaelulugu autobiography
    pihtimus confession
    sissekanne entry (i.e. in a diary or record book)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-04-08, 3:50

(es) from Extraña para mí: una vida en una nueva lengua by Eva Hoffman (finished)
    aforo capacity, limit (el aforo está completo it is filled to capacity)
    alud avalanche, rockslide, mudslide, landslide
    calumniar to slander, libel
    desahuciar to give up as a lost cause; to declare terminally ill; to evict
    relativizar minimize, play down
    salpimentar to pepper, to spice up, to add salt and pepper to

Como todo el mundo, yo soy la suma de mis lenguajes — el lenguaje de la familia y la infancia, el de la educación, el de la amistad, el del amor y el de un mundo cada día más amplio y cambiante.
    Like everyone else, I'm the sum of my languages — the language of the family and childhood, of education, of friendship, of love, and of a world that is wider every day and ever-changing.

Ahora, cuando hablo conmigo mismo, lo hago en inglés, la lengua en la que me he hecho adulto, en la cual he visto mis películas preferidas y he leído mis novelas favoritas y canturreado las canciones de Janis Joplin. En polaco, echo en falta regiones enteras de mis experiencia adulta. No conozco las palabras polacas para «microchips» o «pathetic fallacy» o cómo se ha traducido The Importance of Being Earnest. Si trato de conversar conmigo mismo en mi lengua materna, el resultado es una conversación titubeante, entrelazada con expresiones inglesas.
    Now, when I talk to myself, I do it in English, the language in which I became an adult, in which I watched my favorite movies and read my favorite novels and sang along with Janis Joplin. In Polish, whole swaths of my adult experience are missing. I don't know the Polish words for "microchip" or "pathetic fallacy" or how The Importance of Being Earnest was translated. If I try to talk to myself in my native tongue, the result is a halting conversation, interlaced with English expressions.

edit: corrected typo
Last edited by Linguaphile on 2023-04-23, 4:11, edited 1 time in total.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-04-09, 4:40

hernhuutlane member of Moravian Brethren
    küünlakäärid wick trimmer
    maarjaklaas muscovite mica, Muscovy glass
    parik (regional or dated term for parukas) wig
    pitsatilakk sealing wax
    rõsi humidity caused by heat; steamy moistness
    rööptekst parallel text
    vennastekogudus brotherhood (religious sense)
    vilgukivi mica
    vöörus entryway, front hall
    de gran envergadura of great magnitude
    derrochador extravagant, wasteful

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-04-10, 4:55

meelt heitma despair
    pikameelelisus (older form of pikameelsus) longanimity, forbearance
    pitsatsõrmus signet, seal ring
    priieksemplar (older form of tasuta eksemplar) free copy
    sannumetoja (old spelling of sõnumitooja) messenger
    sissehiiliv creeping in, sneaking in
    tänamatus ingratitude
    äkkviha irritability, biliousness (äkkvihaga irritable, experiencing a sudden fit of anger)

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”