TAC 2021- Meera

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Meera
TAC 2021- Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-06-07, 16:29

Hello everyone! I know it is a bit late but I decided to start this thread anyway. I'll be mostly using this for Japanese/Korean but might add some logs for Hindi and French too or any other language I worked on doing the day. But I really want to focus on Japanese and Korean.

Resources I'm using:
Japanese - For Japanese I am using Genki II and started on tobira. Also using Remembering the Kanji. I have been reading children's Manga. I'm currently reading Chi's Sweet Home in Japanese.

Korean Still a complete beginner and I'm using Integrated Korean and Elementary Korean. I really need to learn Hangul. Also using some duo for this one.

Hindi Not really actively studying from a textbook just using native resources like news, movies and books.

French Using Promenades and the exercises on the site.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2021- Meera

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-12, 2:37

Good luck with your TAC! :) (And don't worry about whether you started too late or anything; I only started my own TAC around now this year myself :P).

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-09-16, 16:28

vijayjohn wrote:Good luck with your TAC! :) (And don't worry about whether you started too late or anything; I only started my own TAC around now this year myself :P).

Thanks Vijay!

Thanks Vijay :D
अहिंसा/เจ

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-09-16, 17:02

[insira aqui palavras de incentivo]!! :yep: :yep:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-09-16, 17:18

Thinking of taking French off my list because as much as I try I really have no motivation for it at the moment. I like French but I do need to at least know how to read it for my studies, but I'm not hugely interested in French media. Maybe this will change I will put it back on my list. I might put in Mandarin or Arabic, not sure yet. I feel extremely burnout with Arabic. I have made more progress in the five years I have studied Japanese (and believe me it's nowhere near advanced than I have with Arabic in the over ten years I have studied it). My main focus right now is Hindi and Japanese.

Anyway here is a small update:

(ja)Japanese: I started reading the first volume of Demon Slayer in Japanese with furigana. I'm surprised how easy the first volume is, though I watched the anime more than once so many I am just remembering the words from that. Or maybe it is because it is a manga I am really interested in, and a good break from the very young mangas I have been reading. Before starting Demon Slayer, I finished Doreaman and Chi's Sweet Home. I have been listening to the bilingual news podcast and I have been working with some of the last chapters in Genki 2. This week I have watched Soul Eater, Death Note, and Ringu.

(hi) Hindi: Reading Umrao Jaan Ada in Hindi translation. BBC has a plethora of Hindi podcasts available and I have been listening to them while I walk my new puppy. My favorite so far is एक मुलाकात which interviews Bollywood actors in Hindi. I really enjoyed the Priety Zinta one and found her story very interesting, I did not know she came from a very conservative family, she was originally intended to play Geet in Jab We Met. They have some news podcasts as well which I listen to.

(ko)Korean- I started Duolingo for Korean and Korean Script Hacker from TY. I know Duolingo has problems but I am enjoying the Korean course. I have gotten up to the formal lesson at the beginning of the tree. I also have been watching Korean Unnie videos. Also been listening to some K-pop (I've been obsessed with Sunmi's You can't sit with us right now) and I have been watching Hotel Del Luna.

(zh) Mandarin- I haven't officially started Madarin but I have been dabbling in it and I have been listening to the Coffee Break Mandarin podcast from radio lingua. I also watched Wandering Earth. I feel like I should at least learn some basic phrases of Mandarin because I have so many Mandarin speakers around me. I got to a lot of Chinese restaurants and bubble tea places and I hear Mandarin all the time. But I don't know if I want to actually learn it until I get into a higher level of Japanese.
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-09-16, 17:28

Osias wrote:[insira aqui palavras de incentivo]!! :yep: :yep:

Thank you :)
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-09-21, 19:37

Been mostly doing Japanese and Korean for the past couple of days, and the majority of it has been Korean :oops:

For Japanese, I read more of 鬼滅の刃. I'm really surprised at how easy it is, I think it might be because I already read the English version and have seen the anime. I'm watching Midnight Diner, Soul Eater, and rewatching Death Note.

Korean, I am working through Korean script hacker and Duolingo. From duo I learned:
저 / 나 - I
너- you
그는/그가 - He/she

I also learned a little bit about possessives and watched Squid Game plus some more of Hotel Del Luna.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-09-22, 21:08

Have you tried Duolingo for Japanese by any chance? (Says the guy who hasn't touched Duolingo in like five years :lol: )

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-10-02, 1:07

vijayjohn wrote:Have you tried Duolingo for Japanese by any chance? (Says the guy who hasn't touched Duolingo in like five years :lol: )

Yeah I used a little bit, I think it's okay but some of the sound is off for the Kanji.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-02, 1:08

Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Have you tried Duolingo for Japanese by any chance? (Says the guy who hasn't touched Duolingo in like five years :lol: )

Yeah I used a little bit, I think it's okay but some of the sound is off for the Kanji.

Omg that sounds funny :rotfl:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”