TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: ''', Forum Administrators

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

Postby voron » 2019-07-10, 10:34

I read story 8, الاشارة الحمراء.

It had two synonyms for "to prepare" (transitive):
ّأعد
جهّز

And also, two synonyms for "to fall":
سقط
وقع

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-07-11, 4:14

Saim wrote:Also I'm talking about r/languagelearning, not random parts of Reddit.

But to what extent are people on r/languagelearning serious language learners anyway?

I haven't been on Reddit in a long time, but I remember I subscribed to that sub and then decided, almost certainly within a few months, to unsubscribe. Apart from you and a few other people, I just couldn't find anyone else saying anything particularly insightful or even helpful, really. IIRC I wrote a post about Dinka and no one even responded. I wrote another about Krio, and (also IIRC) only four people did respond, one of whom spoke it (non-natively) and the other three of whom were like "what's Krio?". (And I have to say, in general, it's astonishing to me how little interest there is in African languages on Reddit. Even the Swahili subreddit is practically dead. Even Papuan languages get more meaningful attention than Swahili does; the only African language I know of that gets even a little bit of meaningful attention there is Amharic, and mostly from people learning it). So I don't find it terribly surprising that some of them would be the kind of people who don't do anything beyond just Duolingo.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-07-11, 19:46

I read stories 9 and 10 of level 3, thus finishing the level. Moving on to level 4!

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-07-12, 1:19

vijayjohn wrote:(And I have to say, in general, it's astonishing to me how little interest there is in African languages on Reddit. Even the Swahili subreddit is practically dead. Even Papuan languages get more meaningful attention than Swahili does; the only African language I know of that gets even a little bit of meaningful attention there is Amharic, and mostly from people learning it)

Isn't that par for the course? I can count on one hand the number of serious learners of African languages I have come across on the Internet in my entire life.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-07-12, 9:51

vijayjohn wrote:But to what extent are people on r/languagelearning serious language learners anyway?

Damn you guys, I just installed the app and registered there, and killed two hours reading and posting stuff. :evil:

Not on r/languagelearning though, mostly Turkey and MENA related groups. R/languagelearning is indeed boring. (I did find one potentially useful post there though about how to download subtitles from Netflix.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-07-12, 22:42

Sorry voron! :blush:
Yasna wrote:Isn't that par for the course? I can count on one hand the number of serious learners of African languages I have come across on the Internet in my entire life.

Yeah, but:
vijayjohn wrote:Even Papuan languages get more meaningful attention than Swahili does

I know the most widely spoken languages in Africa don't get much attention, but what I'm saying is they get less attention than languages that are far more obscure. Let me flesh out the Papuan vs. Swahili example to illustrate this:

R/papuan is, understandably, pretty dead. I posted something there about the Papuan languages I picked to focus on. They are endangered languages spoken on random Indonesian islands that are so tiny that I seriously suspect they're not even included on some world maps. Who is going to care about languages that are that obscure? And yet I still managed to have a short discussion with someone about these languages, and this person actually knew a thing or two about Papuan languages!

By contrast, while r/swahili technically has more posts than r/papuan, there is just no participation. From what I recall, the situation there is as follows: No one posts anything in three months at a time, not even a comment. I write a post in Swahili going "hey, let's talk in Swahili!" (which works for all kinds of other languages, again including much more obscure ones). No response. I post a link to a useful resource for learning Swahili. Still no response. The other posts either require zero knowledge of Swahili or are short posts or links to news articles in Swahili, and there are usually no comments at all to those, either. Occasionally, there is one comment; rarely, there are up to three. All the comments are very short. No one seems to use Swahili on other subreddits, either, just English.

So it's pretty weird to me that you can find interest for the most obscure Papuan languages but not for what people all over East Africa speak. :hmm: And not for lack of fluent speakers on Reddit, either.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-07-14, 13:26

I read stories 1 and 2 from level 4 of my reader.
Story 1, دمنة و شتربة, was a story from "Kalila wa Dimna".

Here is a pic from story 2. As you can see it has more Arabic on the page compared to the previous levels.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-07-15, 15:43

I read story 3, عفاريت اللصوص, whose plot repeats Grimm's Town Musicians of Bremen.

Also, I ordered another bunch of Arabic readers. :) Expecting them to arrive this week.

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”