TAC 2018 - ceid donn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

ceid donn
Re: TAC 2018 - ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-13, 15:37

Antea wrote:I liked very much the Welsh song, and also the Welsh language. Now I’m wanderlusting for it :roll:

You mean the song "Calon Lân" from my previous post from Octobar 7th? The one, "Òran a Cloiche" in my last post is in Gaelic.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-10-13, 16:18

Yes, I have been reading things about Welsh language lately and it sounds very interesting. By the way, I also liked the Gaelic song. Do you thing that Welsh is not so complex/ difficult as Irish (for this one, I experienced it myself this summer) or Scottish Gaelic?

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-13, 16:47

I personally would say Welsh is about the same difficulty as Irish. My problem is I don't spend enough time on it, but I am slowly making progress.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-13, 17:31

I forgot to mention that I did learn "Calon Lân" this past week and I've woken up every morning this week with it stuck in my head.

And I wanted to shared this amusing video, about how hard it is to learn the Japanese writing system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcdYKxHT8kY

In my defense, I have never been afflicted to Japanophilia like some Americans. I never really watched anime aside from an occasional movie (and Speed Racer cartoons when I was a kid), and even though I use anime for my Japanese studies, I am genuinely baffled at how people get so obsessed with it (I'm equally baffled by people who are obsessed with manga or comics in general). My first interest in Japanese came from playing go when I was in college with some of my fellow tutors, but I was never that interested in it to try until more recently.

Also, although not really related to my studies, my brother just brought me a polvorone rosa, which is a traditional Mexican sugar cookie that is dyed pink with food coloring. They are typically big--this one is bigger than my hand and it'll take me all day to eat it. :lol:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-14, 15:36

OK, so I watched this video, was very excited for her and at the same time, I had a seizure and began to think maybe I needed to go down the JLPT path too and hey, I can do that, it's just work and effort, I'm not afraid of that...and then I came to my senses and remembered that this isn't a realistic goal for me at this time in my life. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biMdXIpHK14

There was a time in my life when I had to pass tests like this. I also used to tutor people--L2 English speakers mostly--in how to take the GRE and MCAT. She is basically speaking a language I once was fluent in, so to speak, and it totally grabbed me for a moment. But in truth, I pray to any god that might exist that I never am required to take another high-stakes proficiency test for anything ever again. I am fully aware of how utterly, completely life-consuming it is to prepare for a test like this is, knowing that you are very likely to fail the first time, so the end is never really in sight. I mean, we're talking Studying While Sitting on the Toilet level of commitment. And that's just not something I can or want to do right now.

But I did give in and ordered a JLPT N5 kanji study book. :mrgreen: Just because I can't devote my every second and every breath and every bowel movement to someday passing the JLPT N1 doesn't mean I can't lay the foundation for some more obtainable goals, right?

:silly:

Yesterday I did so much work on Indonesian I want to use Indonesian prefixes/suffixes in English too. Mari kita memrefix and mensuffix everything! Itu tidak menconfusingan at all! :D The good thing is so much in the Duolingo course and the CI book are things I have been exposed to before, so this is deeper learning and reiteration, which is exactly what I need the most with Indonesian right now.

However, I did not know that Unit 8 in CI has about twice as many exercises as the previous lessons, as well as a reading selection (which I will try to type out and share here), so I will amend my weekend goals to just doing Unit 8 in CI, as well as my Duolingo goal, which I've almost completed.

EDIT:

(oj) (nv)

I forgot to mention that I posted the resources I will be using for Ojibwe for this year's Powwow in the NAIL General Discussion forum. For Navajo, I'll mainly be using Goossen, Breakthrough Navajo and whatever I can get out of Duolingo's course and whatever resources other learners come up with (a speaker has already very generously recorded audio for most of the words and sentences of the course).

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-20, 0:01

Ugh, I can't believe it's the weekend again already. This week has kind of been a bust--I say that because I had so much to do with Real Life obligations that I didn't get done what I had planned, but I did work a lot on French--pronunciation practice by reading Harry Potter et l'ecole des sorciers aloud, a lot of vocab practice on Memrise, and watched shows with French audio on Netflix every morning and afternoon. I just didn't get much else done in other languages except doing my daily Memrise stuff. I haven't been in the best health this week, so that's cutting into my energy reserves too. Most nights this week i went to bed much earlier, instead of studying for 2-3 hours before bed, so that's about 10 hours of studying that didn't happen this week.

I had hoped to complete the Duolingo Welsh tree this past week, so I could focus on completing the Indonesian tree this weekend. I will have to see how I feel tomorrow--if I have the energy I may push to complete both. I have virtually done nothing on Duolingo this week except enough Spanish practice to keep my streak.

Neither the Colloquial Welsh book or the N5 kanji workbook I ordered last weekend has arrived yet. I guess that's a good thing since those won't distract me from working on my Duolingo goals.

I still hope to post one or two the Colloquial Indonesian reading exercises here--I just have to find the energy to type them up. :whistle:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-20, 4:07

It's the weekend! Gadewch i ni ddysgu Cymraeg!

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-20, 23:48

I did it! I completed the Duolingo Welsh tree!!! I now have a Welsh owl to go with my French, Irish and Spanish ones! (I don't count the owls from the Navajo and Hawaiian trees since those courses aren't complete.)

Llongyfarchiadau i fy hun! :lol: :partyhat:

The Welsh tree is one of the longest trees on Duolingo right now--118 skill units. When I restarted working on the tree, this past summer, I genuinely despaired at how I only had about one half of the tree done. For comparison, the 3.0 French tree (made by the volunteer team) has 96 skills and the Irish course has just 64. So it was a long haul. I think my approach paid off--earlier, when I added Welsh to my current TAC, I focused on skill units that covered verbs and other vital grammar, and that made the later part of the tree MUCH easier. So I got the remainder that I needed to do this weekend done in about half the time I had allotted myself for it. :D

By the way, I think the Welsh is easily one of the best courses on Duolingo right now (at least of the ones I've worked on). That may be largely due to the Welsh team basing this course of materials for adult learners from the Canolradd beginner and intermediate courses, so they had a proper, proven framework to work with.

Now *cracks knuckles* it's time to complete the Indonesian course. :P

(Actually I'm going to take a little break and I'll start work on the Indonesian course later tonight. :wink: )

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-22, 15:24

:partyhat: :partyhat: :partyhat: I finished the Indonesian tree too!

My first Duolingo owl for a full course for a non-European language too. :D I can now say many wonderful things in Indonesian, like "Laki-laki itu berpura-pura menjadi kucing," "malaikat dan setan tidak bisa makan kentang," and "Saya bosan dan kesepian, sempurna!"

That man is pretending to be a cat. Angels and demons cannot eat potatoes. I'm bored and lonely, perfect!

Actually, I enjoyed this tree as well even though it's still in beta and quite rough around the edges. One reason it took little longer than I had expected for me to complete the last units (which had nothing, NOTHING to do with me wasting time yesterday morning by goofing off too much :P ) is that you kind of have to learn to intuit how the English answers will be constructed, as many of the answers are in rather stilted English. It's not bad, it's mostly little things, but it can slow you down quite a bit.

Another thing that is difficult about this course is many of the later grammar units don't have any tips or notes to help you. So it becomes a game of learning by trial and error. :whistle:

(By the way, that grayed-out owl in the picture is for my German tree, which I have completed in the past but I lost my owl when they updated the tree. I haven't worked on German for years, but eventually--hopefully in a couple of months--I will do a proper German review and get that owl back too.)

Well, now that I have two more of my end-of-the-year goals completed--woohoo!--with completing the Welsh and Indonesian trees, I feel quite ready for the Powwow in a couple of weeks. But until then I will be focusing on Japanese, and I will try to post some work for Japanese as well as Welsh and Indonesian sometime this week.

Anyhow, here's a video about Indonesian gamelan music, which I happen to really enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AiCTJ9t8g

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-24, 16:34

Last edited by ceid donn on 2018-11-18, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-25, 2:30

'S e gealach làn a th' ann a-nochd.
Mae'r lleuad yn llawn heno.
C'est la pleine lune ce soir.
Esta noche hay luna llena.
Ada bulan purnama malam ini.

8-)

Well, I've been in a mood all day about the stuff with Bannen and Machair being taken off You Tube. It may not seem like a big deal to people who don't study Gaelic. But when I started studying Gaelic I used to be able to listen to re-broadcasts of RnG shows on demand, have easy access to download past episodes of Litir do Luchd-ionnsachaidh's audio and pdf, access to an online Gaelic poetry archive, stories, games and other things that all ended up being geo-blocked or made inaccessible in other ways over the past 8 or so years. It's just so infuriating, because it's all material that people who run websites fret over whether it's worth keeping up on the site but learners like me would use them if we had access to them. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. "We need to restrict access to this Gaelic material because of copyright bullshit! Oh look, fewer and fewer people are using it now, I guess people aren't really interested in Gaelic after all. Let's take it down and replace it with English language material."

Anyhow, I'm getting myself worked up again and that's not good for my blood pressure so let's move on...happy thoughts, happy thoughts....

I finally found my Teach Yourself Complete Indonesian. :D Looking at the notes in it and the page tabs I used to mark things, I previously completed the first 9 chapters, which about half the book. Unfortunately, it has no effing index whatsoever (must TY books have crappy, near-useless indexes, but this one has nothing at all). So I'm going ot have to thumb through it and make my own, to see if this book covers some of the things I still have questions about. Well, I am sure it doesn't covering all of them, but I hope maybe a few.

I also found a bunch of other books I had been looking for--you see, during the year and a half that I wasn't really studying languages, I rearranged my room a couple of times and all my language books ended up getting stuffed in storage bins and boxes when in turn got stuffed into closet or buried under other storage bins and box in corners. But I finally found my Colin Mark Gaelic dictionary and more or less all the books I have been missing from my personal Gaelic book collection, as well as some reference books for other languages I'm currently studying. I'm in the middle of organizing them in a spot in my room where I can access them properly, but this at least gives me more Gaelic reading materials because some of these books I haven't read yet. :oops: :whistle:

I don't know if I mentioned this above (and I'm too lazy to scan my recent messages) but my Colloquial Welsh and N5 Kanji workbook came. The Kanji book looks sweet, actually. It's Essential Japanese Kanji Vol. 1. I know most of the kanji in the first 3 chapters so I am working on those chapters as one unit. I will post a kanji list when I finish typing them up. But the exercises are very doable for my level and seem like exactly the kind of reading and writing practice I need.

Here's a some of videos--French, Swedish and Irish, respectively--on You Tube that I watched today instead of Machair, as I had planned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw6C5sS9ync

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGlk0HcgB1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koraxgsz4bs

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-27, 0:01

(ja)

Yes, let's start using flags again. :wink:

OK, I will add some notes to this later, but these are the kanji from the first three chapters of my workbook. The ones in blue are the only ones I don't believe I've studied yet. The others I know from CJ, Memrise or Duolingo, or some other sources.

Chapter 1 

一 二 三 四 五 六 七 八 九 十 百 円 

Chapter 2

休 月 日 酒 間 千 万 午 前 後 時 半 分

Chapter3

曜 火 水 木 金 土 平  年 祝 

The kanji definitions go into more readings that I've previously have learned for most of these kanji--I will try to type some of the newer readings out and share here, as that will likely help me remember them better. Many of the exercises are just "write these kanji in hiragana" and vice versa so far. Good practice but a little dry. But as you can probably tell, the chapters deal with counting, time and dates and days of the weeks, respectively.

I started watching Terrance House (one of them--there's like 3 or 4 on Netflix), which is a sort of Japanese The Real World-style reality show, it seems. I like that the conversations are more true-to-life and I get to see body language and facial expressions along with the dialogue. I watch a bit with English subtitles and then watch the same part again with Japanese subtitles.

I've largely put the Duolingo Japanese course on hold indefinitely. I just do not feel it's worth the amount of time i find myself putting into it to struggle through the lessons. It seems the people who do better at it are people who have studied Japanese more formally or more extensively in the past than I have.

In his last video, Paul from LangFocus talks about "shadowing"--which is what I mean, usually, when I say "pronunciation practice." Unless I'm reading text out loud, this is how I practice pronunciation--by shadowing audio. It's one reason why I'm kind of neurotic about having resources with audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUojCUTKYlc

(I love that he's learning Indonesian right now.)

That reminded me of this book on learning Japanese through shadowing that someone recommended to me a while back, and I'm seriously thinking of getting it now.

Right now I have the Japanese audio files from the 50languages phrasebook that I use for "shadowing" as well as repeating the playback on Memrise, although I find the 50languages files more helpful for this particular activity. (I use 50Languages for French, Spanish and Indonesian too. I haven't downloaded the files for Catalan yet, as i kind of have put Catalan on hold for now because of time constraints.)

EDIT: I forgot I wanted to share this older (2015) Langfocus video too, which has Paul speaking Japanese. I find it rather inspiring seeing other non-Japanese people speaking Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttyRMwuVTes

(By the way, the opinions Paul expresses here are completely his own. While I'm not interested in hosting a discussion of the pros and cons of Japanese culture versus Western culture in my TAC thread, if you're interested on a differing, more critical view of Japanese culture from a Japanese person's perspective, I recommend watching this video by Azusa. I am personally sympathetic to both views, although admittedly more so to Azusa, because she's Japanese and from being a woman who grew up in this culture, she has perspective on things often ignored or dismissed by men and by non-Japanese.)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-29, 4:52

Ok, so stuff happened this weekend. Aside from the fascist nightmare happening in this country, I have been dealing with depression, a bad migraine and a sick cat. So yeah. I did as much language study as I could, considering.

(id) I'm delighted that Netflix is adding more Indonesian language content but can someone please explain to the Netflix search engine that Thai and Korean are not even in the same language family as Indonesian, so please stop mixing Thai and Korean content in with Indonesian results? :whistle: I'm watching a movie called 5 cm. and I have no idea what it's suppose to be about, only that some dude is eating noodles in this scene and now I'd kill for some noodles.

Also, I reviewed chapter 1-7 in TYI and started working on unit 9 in CI.

(ja) I've done all the exercises for chapters 1 and 2 in my Kanji workbook. I wrote them out by hand. Before you get too impressed, I should confess my handwriting in kana and kanji is horrific. :lol: But it seems to be helping as I'm doing better on my review of previously learned material in my Memrise course. I am also continuing to watch Terrace House in small doses. If I watch for too long, my brain stops trying to follow what people are saying.

I also watched this new video from Loretta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yX4DIsgjlQ

To offset the slow, painful process of practicing writing and listening comprehension, I've been "shadowing" with lessons 11-30 of the Japanese 50Languages audio files. This is one aspect of learning Japanese that I seem to be really good at. :D

(gd) Since I have dug it out of the box where it was hiding, I've been reading some old Litrichean in my copy of Leabhar nan Litrichean at night before going to bed. I think it is a better habit than doing Memrise right before bed. Of course this means I'll need to get in the habit of doing my Memrise stuff earlier.

I also read this new article in Dàna, "Gruth is càise na h-Àisia" (The curd and cheese of Asia), which is about the author's trip to a restaurant in Hachiōji (八王子市) that specializes in tofu. The author Steaphan was nice enough to include a recording of him reading the article. I do not listen to enough audio of Gaelic with how much time I spend on other languages. :oops:

(cy) I've started working through CW more deliberately now that I have a proper, usable copy. I'm currently on unit 4. I've been meaning to go back and review stuff on the Duolingo tree, but most of my Duolingo time this week has been spent reviewing Irish, as I had neglected that in order to finish my Welsh Duolingo tree. It's a vicious cycle, apparently.

(es-MX) I'm kind of burnt out on Spanish at the moment. Aside from slowly working through my Spanish grammar workbook at work when I have downtime, I probably won't be doing much with it until after the Powwow.

(fr) I worked a bit on pronunciation (aka "shadowing"), as well as Memrise and my daily French routine of reading French stuff online in the morning. Also I played a bit of Fallout 4 with French audio. It's surprisingly more immersive than I expected, although the French voice acting pales to the original English voice acting. It's especially nice that there are a quite a few words from my Memrise advanced vocabulary course that pop up in Fallout 4.

I'm also going through my French workbooks and trying to decide which one I want to try to finish.

(sv) Like Irish, Swedish isn't technically one of my TAC language, but unlike Irish, I actually find Swedish easy to enjoy. I've been slowly working away at one of the Memrise Swedish courses just to keep things fun for myself. But I think maybe I should focus on it for a month or so after the Powwow. It's a possibility. You know, finish my Duolingo Swedish tree and stuff maybe. We'll see. Here's that breaded dude in a gaming chair speaking slow Svenska again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCH4KdHWTik
Last edited by ceid donn on 2018-10-29, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-29, 15:50

I feel attacked... :lol:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-31, 16:42

(gd) Oidhche Shamhna shona dhuibh a h-uile duine! (gd)

(fr)

Je suis tombé sur cette série documentaire très intéressant sur la musique de Bretagne quand je recherchais des videos en breton sur You Tube ce matin. Même si ce documentaire est en français, dans certaines clips il y a des personnes qui parlent breton (avec les sous-titres en français). Dans la troisième vidéo qui porte sur la renaissance de la musique bretonne des années 70, il y a même un court clip de l'année 1971 d'Alan Stivell parlent en breton.

J'ai regardé les trois premières videos ce matin. Je regarderai les deux autres plus tard quand j'ai plus de temps libres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EktcXeTDaRI&t=666s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDOPk6KavkA&t=404s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz1gN--Ej3Y&t=517s

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-01, 19:08

I started my Powwow thread for Ojibwe and Navajo.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-05, 4:39

It's been a very disorganized week and I suspect the rest of this month will be the same.

1) (oj) The Powwow has started. I was going to do Ojibwe and Navajo, but yeah, Navajo just attracts the wrong kind of attention online for whatever reason. It's like Irish in that sense. I am not in the mood for the kind of drama that my posting about studying Navajo has caused in the past here on Unilang. So I nixed it at the first sign of trouble. I'll still study Navajo on the side, I have contact with actual speakers via social media who are happy to answer my questions and should I ever get good enough, I can go meet up with speakers over in New Mexico. But I think for my own mental health and happiness, I am not going to expose myself to any online "experts" for now. Ojibwe will keep me busy enough for the Powwow anyhow and the Ojibwe speakers I've talked to over social media so far have been very encouraging and supportive of my interest in their language.

2) (de) I'm starting my Big Fat German review now rather than later. I'm cramming through the basic Memrise courses using the ones for French or Spanish speakers to make it a little more interesting) to review basic vocabulary, noun gender, pronunciation, etc. I'll be working through German Quickly along with the German study group too. I want to refresh my Duolingo German tree since I never did so after the last update, so that's on the table as well. But I do want to get to more advanced stuff as quickly as I can, because I know I will get bored stiff if I spend too long doing basic stuff. This has always been a problem with reviewing German in the past so I don't want that to trip me up this time.

3) (ja) I am still working on my Kanji workbook. I just haven't had enough time and energy in combination to type up the stuff to post it here, since I'm writing it down in the workbook itself first. But right now I'm on the first review chapter, that covers chapters 1-5. In addition to watching Nihon Goal's MnN videos, I'm continuing with the Memrise course, as it's good daily practice, and with watching Terrace House on Netflix as well.

4) (cy) (ca) (id) Aside from daily Memrise, Welsh, Catalan and Indonesian have been on the back burner. Now that I have a better idea of the amount of time I'll need to work on Ojibwe, I will be getting back to all three of those, specifically working through the Colloquial books for each.

5) (es-MX) I'll still be taking a break from Spanish, aside from laddering with resources for Catalan and German and using it in practical situations here where I live.

6) (ga) I'll be working through TYI1961 with the Irish study group but this is likely all I'll be doing with Irish for now.

7) (gd) I'm just be reading whatever strike my fancy lately. No real plan to it. I'm OK with that for now, although I do want to get back to a couple of projects I started earlier in the TAC. However, that might not happen until the winter holidays. But I am reading some Gaelic every day and I'm enjoying it, so that's good enough for now.

8) (fr) Except for Japanese original shows and shows that have no other options besides English, French is my default Netflix language, and after using Netflix as a french resource for the past couple of months, I feel it has been really beneficial. So I will continue to do that, as well as play video games with French audio and interface when possible. I will also try to do some more work in L'exerciser, but if I get bored with that, I'll switch to L'expression française, which is a little more advanced.

9) (sv) (br) (gv) Will this list ever end? OK, so these are three languages I've studied to some extent in the past and largely just keep putting off because I don't have time. But I plan on focusing on them, in particular Swedish and Breton, after New's Years. For now I'll just dabble a little with each on Memrise.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-06, 19:13

I'm dealing with some chronic health issues that have flared up this week, so I'm having to spend more time resting than I care to, but I still hope to get some things done.

(de)

My Big Fat German Review is coming along rather nicely. I've completed the first Memrise course that I'm doing for my blitz-review, and I watched a few episodes of The Hollow with German audio this morning. There isn't an option for German subtitles so I'm using French subtitles, but mostly I am able to follow along with the dialogue, even if some of the vocabulary and grammar aren't clicking in my head again yet.

I've also been watching Jojo sucht das Glück on You Tube, as it's easy for me to watch on my Kindle when I'm lying down and resting. I've watched this before years ago when I was trying to review German then. It's well-made, like a lot of DW's resources for German learners. Right now I'm on Staffel 1 Folge 18:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T2FKGX_bHI&index=19&list=PLB92CD6B288E5DB61

Here's the playlist on You Tube for all three Staffeln of Jojo if anyone else interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBeYiSV ... B288E5DB61

Unfortunately the subtitles on the You Tube videos can't be removed, but at least they are in German and not English. :P If you want to watch it without any subtitles, the videos on the DW site have the option to toggle them on and off. There are additional study materials on the DW website for each Folge too, although I don't think I'll be doing those, at least not right now.

Every night since Is I started this review I've had dreams where someone's spoken some German. Last night one of the German speakers in the videos for the Memrise course I'm working on was following me around and yelling German phrases at me. :lol:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-07, 2:26

Last edited by ceid donn on 2018-11-18, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-09, 5:07

Ah, Duolingo really does teach you those vital phrases you need to master a language

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”