TAC 2017 - vijayjohn

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2017 - vijayjohn

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-23, 18:07

When I was growing up, my family tried to make me use the shit out of whatever few resources I had before buying new ones. It didn't work. :P But I still try to do that with a lot of my languages anyway. :D

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-23, 21:33

vijayjohn wrote:When I was growing up, my family tried to make me use the shit out of whatever few resources I had before buying new ones. It didn't work. :P But I still try to do that with a lot of my languages anyway. :D

I was realizing today how I have this mentality, for some reason. (Maybe it's a brown thing: "waste not, want not" or something like that!) There are times I've thought about going through a resource, even creating a goal to that end on my TAC, and then I suddenly didn't feel like it. Now I realize that's because the motivation was this sense of should that just because I have the resource, I must/need to/should go through it. But then I have no real desire to use it, or at least not in that moment, so I create a goal, I don't work toward that (because I deep down don't want to), and then I beat myself up for not achieving that goal! Well...that was the old behaviour*.

*Damn you Chrome for automatically assuming that behaviour is spelled wrong because the default language is US English! You should be able to automatically detect the best language based on IP, or just accept all major spelling variants of a word!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-24, 1:41

Eh, "waste not, want not" is a pretty common attitude for lots of people! Not so much for my parents actually :P but it does seem pretty common among South Asians. And haha American chauvinism (if I didn't feel kind of tired right now from eating so much, I might come up with a funnier remark).

Also, I declined to mention on księżycowy's thread that I'd also do Guarani and Tucano...oh, and Cape Verdean Creole and maybe...Guinea-Bissau Creole. I'm so curious about Guinea-Bissau Creole. And I'd like to challenge myself to find out about more languages and language families and be able to name them. :mrgreen:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-24, 1:45

You just like spamming my thread with long lists of languages, don't you? :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-24, 2:43

I just like writing long lists of languages in general.

And then studying all of them. :twisted:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-24, 3:49

I can just picture Vijay with a paper (or origami) fortune teller but instead of writing stuff kids write about crushes or what age you'll marry at or how many kids you'll have, he'll write a bunch of language names. :D
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-24, 4:38

"Vijay :( I'm a sad, lonely, depressed - yes, clinically depressed - 30-year-old virgin who still lives with his parents and barely ever leaves the house. What can I do?"
"You have come to the right place...for you can always learn a language! :twisted: Never mind that about half of those things are true of me, too"
"But...which one???"
(shuffles origami fortune teller)
"And your next language is...Enindhilyagwa!"
"N in the what what?"
"Enindhilyagwa. It's an Australian language"
"NOOOO!!! I was so hoping for something normal, like French! You know, like a language that could get me laid!! :cry:"
"There, there. You know, people like going out with...exotic people. ;)"
"*sniff*...exotic people?"
"Yes! And how better to make yourself look exotic...than to be into an exotic language?"
"...gee, I guess I never thought about it that way!"
"That's because I just pulled all this out of my ass to save my hide at the last minute without ever verifying anything remotely similar to this claim experimentally or even finding any citations. Linguoboy would be very disappointed."
"What?"
"Oh, Iii was just, uh, talking to myself in Enindhilyagwa! :D"
"What did you say?"
"Well, if you knew Enindhilyagwa, you'd know, wouldn't you? :hmpf:"
"Oh, yeah, I would. I guess I better go get studying! Thanks, Vijay!"

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-24, 7:24

I just learned a little bit about Ket through a couple of YouTube videos. I was trying to learn a bit about Enindhilyagwa and Iwaidja, too, but I guess I can't really through just YouTube videos. For Iwaidja, I had seen this video before. There's also this.

I was also looking for a news article in Croatian I'd found last night and ended up looking for any information about Ratko Mladić from The Death of Yugoslavia. I think I'll also listen to some Kala Lagaw Ya and maybe look at a bit of Ternate.

EDIT: I also listened to a bit of Arrernte. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-24, 8:09

Yeah, sure. NOW you start to get into Arrernte! After I've put it on hold! :hmpf:

You just don't want to do a Language with me, you big jerk!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-24, 18:21

I listened to a bit of Enindhilyagwa, Kala Lagaw Ya, Ternate, Western Dani, Meriam Mir, Lower Chinook (I think), and Chinook Jargon, in that order. I also looked at grammars for Ternate and Western Dani and a paper for Ternate Malay. Just now, I opened a file I have for a thesis on Enindhilyagwa and just realized there's another paper on it available, too.

Now the only languages left on my list that I've never looked at so far are Waris, Kilmeri, and maybe Atayal and Enga. I'm getting close to starting Seneca! :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-24, 18:25

Don't toy with my heart, Vijay.

dEhiN already did, the bully. :doggy:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-24, 20:21

I have no intentions of toying with your heart, księżycowy dear. :<3:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-24, 21:17

Gönóöhgwa’.... :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-25, 0:03

Gönóöhgwa' koh!

I have the first lesson open right now. :D But I read nya:wëh sgë:nö' and immediately thought, oh my goodness, I need to review my Quechua! :lol: And since then I've been trying to review bits of various languages. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-25, 5:01

księżycowy wrote:dEhiN already did, the bully. :doggy:

*bows* すみません せんぱい! Even though I think I'm older than you, but whatevs...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-25, 5:15

せんぱい can be younger than you, too, sometimes. ;)

So I tried to review Oirata, Teiwa, and Quechua, then reviewed Dinka again (I'd already reviewed it earlier) and happened to stumble across some pretty awesome videos from Australia as a result of consulting some YouTube videos I'd bookmarked for Dinka! They were produced in association with http://familyheritagelanguages.com/, an Australian charity apparently promoting heritage languages. This is the first in a series of videos for Dinka:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEqHlhGLd5w
I feel like I should review my Mapudungun, too, but it's hard to get the motivation for that right now since it's so hard to find any audio content in Mapudungun, especially if you exclude songs.

I also posted that Croatian article on Reddit, along with a post on r/languages asking people whether they were learning any non-Eurasian languages.

EDIT: I also found some neat videos in Mapudungun! This one is just presenting greetings but has them written out only in Mapudungun, not in Spanish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zztWP7WB6lQ
Similarly with this video for feelings/emotions (basically):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-d84ey-XOE
They seem to have a bunch more videos on that channel with written text in Spanish accompanying videos voiced in Mapudungun. Another channel has only this video, which is all in Mapudungun AFAICT, but if you click on the little gear on the video and then click on "Spanish (Latin America)," it'll be subtitled in Mapudungun! And then you can also click on just "Spanish," in which case it will be subtitled in Spanish instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqUkWmahhho
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2017-11-25, 16:41, edited 2 times in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-25, 9:57

Age ain't nothing but a number!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-25, 14:23

vijayjohn wrote:I have the first lesson open right now. :D But I read nya:wëh sgë:nö' and immediately thought, oh my goodness, I need to review my Quechua! :lol: And since then I've been trying to review bits of various languages. :P

Is that because you think they are similar, or just the fact that they are indigenous languages, or what? :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-25, 17:39

Neither. It's just because I don't want to take on new languages without trying to make sure I remember what I've been learning from my old ones!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-25, 18:45

That's hard enough with going from 3 to 4 for me. I honestly don't know how you do your 50 languages Vijay. :P

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”