TAC 2017 Dr. House - Türkçe

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: ''', Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

Hent

Re: TAC 2017 Dr. House - Türkçe

Postby Hent » 2017-08-29, 18:58

I read the first two suras and my attention got swayed away by Arabic. Maybe later MSA. :)

Benim adım Simon ( ismim Simon). Yirmi-altı yaşındayım. Ústí nad Labem'de doğdum.Türkçe çok ağir.

Is that right? Not sure if heavy and difficult are synonyms in Turkish (they are in Czech).

Daily word: (tr) gemi - ship

I deleted the JW app. The word Yehova is irksome.

Btw. I know the vowel harmony works like this Arapça, Farsça, Türkçe, Çekçe. But why Bulgarca?

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-29, 19:34

Dr. House wrote:Türkçe çok ağir.
Is that right? Not sure if heavy and difficult are synonyms in Turkish (they are in Czech).

They are synonyms, but I think it would be more idiomatic to say "Türkçe çok zor". We should see what voron or other Turkish speakers have to say, though.

I know the vowel harmony works like this Arapça, Farsça, Türkçe, Çekçe. But why Bulgarca?

Why not? a ı o u harmonize together (ex. Araa, Fransızca, Estonca, Rua). Bulgar has vowel harmony (u followed by a) so the suffix follows that harmony. If you mean why is it Bulgarca and not *Bulgarça, that's not a question of vowel harmony but rather consonant harmony. This suffix is -ca/-ce when following a vowel or voiced consonants (b, c, d, g, ğ, j, l, m, n, r, v, y, z) and -ça/-çe when following unvoiced consonants (p, ç, t, k, f, h, s, ş).
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-29, 19:43

eskandar wrote:
Dr. House wrote:Türkçe çok ağir.

They are synonyms, but I think it would be more idiomatic to say "Türkçe çok zor".

I would also use zor. I think 26 is supposed to be written without a hyphen, too, so yirmialtı.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-08-30, 0:10

Dr. House wrote:I read the first two suras and my attention got swayed away by Arabic.

Did you read the whole al-Baqara in Arabic? :o

Yes, it should be zor, not ağır.
Also, 26 is spelt "yirmi altı".

Hent

Postby Hent » 2017-08-30, 8:16

voron wrote:
Dr. House wrote:I read the first two suras and my attention got swayed away by Arabic.

Did you read the whole al-Baqara in Arabic? :o

Yes, it should be zor, not ağır.
Also, 26 is spelt "yirmi altı".

No way. I read the Czech translation by Hrbek and only listened to the spoken form. My Arabic reading is a lot of guesswork. There are these Luminy (something like Tang) powder drinks and I can read all the flavors, but anything longer is a hit or miss only. Sometimes the long i isn't i, but j and that deviates the pronunciation furthermore. But the vowel marks don't look good. What is mind-blowing to me is how were they able to read the dotless script. :D

About the hyphen. I guess it's an English peculiarity e.g. twenty-six.

Eskandar: Yeah I meant the consonant harmony. Now I sort of understand - Kürtçe, Danca, Çince...

Hent

Postby Hent » 2017-09-04, 2:48

I had a couple of AHA moments again. Ay meaning moon. I know this one, because I used the moon god Ay Dede in one of my short stories about a Tuvan boy rebelling against Russian oppressors in Tsar Wars.

Yesterday I saw : O düşünüyor - he/she thinks
And it clicked suddenly, because some time ago I learned the phrase : Yapabilecegimi düşünüyorum - I think I could do that.

And sandalye reminds me of sandals, rather than chairs, but I'll take it. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-04, 2:58

Dr. House wrote:Yapabilecegğimi

And sandalye reminds me of sandals, rather than chairs, but I'll take it. :)

Me, too. It's cognate with "sandal(wood)" (apparently, in Czech, this is called santal). Sandalwood, if you didn't already know, is a type of wood that is known for its sweet smell and is grown in South Asia and some of the Pacific islands. It's used for making furniture sometimes.

Hent

Postby Hent » 2017-09-04, 17:05

Thanks Vijay. I know santalové dřevo, but I didn't know the English word. I wish I could hit the lotto and study comparative linguistics.

Today I saw işte mean here is ( like voilà or douzo) and at work. I was confused, but then I realized work was iş and te was the same thing as evde or yatakta with vowel and consonant harmonies applied. ( just like Hungarian -ben)

And yüz means both one hundred and face.

Muhteşem Yüzyıl - Velkolepé století

Turkish is more difficult, but also more fun. :)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-09-04, 17:38

Dr. House wrote:And yüz means both one hundred and face.

And the imperative of the verb yüzmek. :)
Yüz! - Swim!

Hent

Postby Hent » 2017-09-25, 11:42

Ojalá el año que venga. Fuí a jugar de nuevo y perdí 15.000 coronas y mi smartphone. Tengo problemas con alcohol y necesito a curar mi "alma" y no beber más. Voy a leer libros y tratar de escribir algo. Además voy a aprender idiomas, pero este tac 2017 no voy a alcanzarlo.

Hošçakalīn.

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”