Multilingual Translation Game (long version)

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Synalepha
Multilingual Translation Game (long version)

Postby Synalepha » 2019-12-12, 13:48

Same game, but the catch is that the text to translate has to be roughly between 3 and 5 lines.

Whoops, I forgot that the number of lines depends on the device you're reading from, so let's just say that the text has to be long-ish.

(Tip: copy-paste stuff from Wikipedia or other websites)

Off we go:

The punishment of Prometheus as a consequence of the theft is a major theme of his, and is a popular subject of both ancient and modern culture. Zeus, king of the Olympian gods, sentenced the Titan to eternal torment for his transgression. The immortal was bound to a rock, where each day an eagle, the emblem of Zeus, was sent to eat Prometheus' liver, which would then grow back overnight to be eaten again the next day.

laoshu

Re: Multilingual Translation Game (long version)

Postby laoshu » 2019-12-17, 4:31

(id)
Penghukuman Prometheus sebagai konsekuensi atas tindakan pencuriannya adalah tema utama dari kisahnya, serta merupakan topik yang populer dalam kebudayaan kuno dan modern. Zeus, raja dari dewa-dewa Olympus, menjatuhkan siksaan abadi kepada Titan atas pelanggarannya. Dia diikat ke sebuah batu di mana setiap hari seekor elang yang merupakan perwujudan Zeus dikirim untuk memakan hatinya, yang mana hati ini akan kembali tumbuh untuk dimakan kembali keesokan harinya.

Chinese characters are logograms developed for writing Chinese languages. They constitute the oldest continuously used system of writing in the world. Chinese characters number in the tens of thousands, though most of them are minor graphic variants encountered only in historical texts.
Native: (id)
Speaks: (zh)(en-us)(hi)

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-09, 10:36

(lld) I carateres cineises é logograms svilupé per scriver i lengac cineises. I é l sistem de mascion più veie dourà de seghit tel mond. I carateres cineises é dejines de mile, seence che la maior pèrt l'é demò picola variantes che se pel troèr demò te contensć storics.

---

Marsilio Ficino was an Italian scholar and Catholic priest who was one of the most influential humanist philosophers of the early Italian Renaissance. He was an astrologer, a reviver of Neoplatonism in touch with the major academics of his day and the first translator of Plato's complete extant works into Latin.
Last edited by Synalepha on 2020-02-10, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-10, 11:19

(he) מרסיליו פיצ'ינו היית מלמוד איטלקי וכמר קתולי שהיית אחת מפילוסופים הומניסתים הכי רב-השפעים של רנסנס מקדם. הוא היית אסטרולוג, מישהוא שהתהדש נאופלאטוניזם. היית הלק של אקדמיות הכי השוב של תקופה הזאת ומתרגם רישון בלטינית של מלאכה קים השלים של פלאטו

(lld) Marsilio Ficino é stat n academich talian e preve catolich che é stat un di filosofes umanisc' più influenc del prum Renasciment talian. L'era n strolech, e à chierì de tor endò en vita l neoplatonism, l'era ence en contat co la maiora academies de sie temp e l prum tradutor de la òpera esistenta entrìes de Platone per latin.

---

Stoicism is a philosophy of personal ethics informed by its system of logic and its views on the natural world. According to its teachings, as social beings, the path to eudaimonia (happiness) for humans is found in accepting the moment as it presents itself, by not allowing oneself to be controlled by the desire for pleasure or fear of pain, by using one's mind to understand the world and to do one's part in nature's plan, and by working together and treating others fairly and justly.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-25, 4:44

(pt) O estoicismo é uma filosofia de ética pessoal informada pelo seu sistema de lógica e as suas ideias sobre o mundo natural. De acordo com os seus ensinos, como seres sociais, a trilha à eudaimonia (a felicidade) para os humanos é fundada no aceitar o momento quando isso presenta-se, em não permitir de ser controlados pelo desejo de prazer ou pelo medo da dor, em usar a nossa mente para entender o mundo e fazer a nossa parte no plano da natureza, e em trabalhar juntos e tratar os outros razoavelmente e justamente.

---

Zoroastrianism is one of the world's oldest continuously practiced religions. It is a faith centered on a dualistic cosmology of good and evil and an eschatology predicting the ultimate conquest of evil. Ascribed to the teachings of the Iranian-speaking spiritual leader Zoroaster, it exalts an uncreated and benevolent deity of wisdom, Ahura Mazda (Wise Lord), as its supreme being. Major features of Zoroastrianism, such as messianism, judgment after death, heaven and hell, and free will may have influenced other religious and philosophical systems.
Last edited by Synalepha on 2020-02-25, 7:45, edited 1 time in total.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-25, 7:44

(pt) O Zoroastrismo é uma das religiões continuamente praticadas mais velhas do mundo. É uma fé que se centra numa cosmologia dualística do bom e mal e numa escatologia que prediz a vitória última sobre o mal. Atribuida aos ensinos do líder espiritual de língua persa Zaratustra, issa exalta uma divinidade benevolente da sabedoria, Ahura Mazda (Sehnor Sábio), como ser supremo. Características importantes do Zoroastrismo, como o messianismo, o juízo depois da morte, o céu e o inferno, o livre-arbítrio poderiam haver influenciado outras religiões e sistemas filosóficos.

---

Most historians have suggested that Sumer was first permanently settled between c. 5500 and 4000 BC by a West Asian people who spoke the Sumerian language (pointing to the names of cities, rivers, basic occupations, etc., as evidence), a non-Semitic and non-Indo-European agglutinative language isolate. In contrast to its Semitic neighbours, it was not an inflected language.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-02-25, 19:08

(fr) La plupart des historiens ont suggéré que les premiers habitants permanents de Sumer étaient un peuple ouest-asiatique, arrivé entre 5500 et 4000 av. J-C, qui parlaient la langue sumérienne (citant les noms de villes, de rivières, de professions basiques etc. comme preuves), un isolat agglutinatif non sémitique et non indo-européen. Contrairement à ses voisines sémitiques, elle n'était pas une language flexionnelle.

---

At 9:45 p.m., train 78654 arrived at the station and let out the travelers. Daniel craned his neck, looking for his wife and son. He saw Véronique first, who waved at him before drawing a rough circle in the air around her head, ending the gesture with a surprised pout. Jérôme had worked his way over to his father and jumped into his arms, almost making him lose balance.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-02-26, 8:57

Dormouse559 wrote:(fr) Contrairement à ses voisines sémitiques, ce n'était pas une language flexionnelle.

---

(hu) Három negyed tízkor, a 78654 érkezett az állomra és hagyta az utazókat. Daniel nagította a nyakát, keresve a feleségét és a fiát. Először Véronique-t látta, aki üdvözölte őt és majd rajzolt egy nagy kereket a levegőbe a feje keresztül, befejezve a gesztust egy meglepetett ajakbiggyesztéssel. Jérôme érkezett az apjára és beleugrottat a karjaiba, majdnem megingatva őt.

---

I smiled at her and slid into the car passenger seat. She folded my wheelchair and quickly thrust it into the boot. She sat behind the driving wheel and bent over me to hug me very tightly. A searing pain invaded my spine but I hugged her back.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-26, 12:44

(pt) Sorri-lhe e deslizei no assento de passageiros do carro. Ela dobrou a minha cadeira de rodas e empuxou-a no porta-malas. Sentou-se atrás do volante e curvou-se sobre mim para me abraçar firmemente. Uma dor abrasadora invadiu-me a coluna mas eu também abracei-a.

---

Orphism (more rarely Orphicism; Ancient Greek: Ὀρφικά) is the name given to a set of religious beliefs and practices originating in the ancient Greek and Hellenistic world, as well as from the Thracians, associated with literature ascribed to the mythical poet Orpheus, who descended into the Greek underworld and returned.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-02-26, 17:22

france-eesti wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:(fr) Contrairement à ses voisines sémitiques, ce n'était pas une language flexionnelle.

:shock: Je ne confonds jamais « langue » et « language », mais je viens de le faire ici et plus tôt dans le texte (j'avais noté et corrigé cette dernière erreur avant de le poster). De toute façon, merci pour tes corrections.

---

(fr) L'orphisme (grec ancien: Ὀρφικά) est le nom d'un ensemble de croyances et pratiques religieuses originaires du monde grec antique et hellénistique, ainsi que des Thraces, et associées avec la littérature attribuée au poète mythique Orphée, qui descendit dans les Enfers grecs et en revint.

---

Today is November 2nd. When I have free time, I spend today as close as possible to the little cemetery adjoining my yard. There stands my mother's grave, on the land she loved. On this short Autumn day, in this season when trees drop dead leaves underfoot to teach us that all has died, that all is dying, that all will die, I stay far from the living.

(translated from a 1951 French textbook for children(!))

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-26, 18:24

(pt) Hoje é o 2 de novembro. Quando tenho tempo livre, passo hoje o mais perto possível ao pequeno cemíterio adjacente ao meu jardim. Lá há a tumba da minha mãe, na terra que ela amou. Neste curto dia de outono, nesta estação na qual das arvores caem folhas no chão para nos ensinar que tudo morreu, que tudo está a morrer, que tudo vai morrer, eu estou longe dos vivos.

---

According to ancient and medieval science, is the material that fills the region of the universe above the terrestrial sphere. The concept of aether was used in several theories to explain several natural phenomena, such as the traveling of light and gravity. In the late 19th century, physicists postulated that aether permeated all throughout space, providing a medium through which light could travel in a vacuum, but evidence for the presence of such a medium was not found in the Michelson–Morley experiment, and this result has been interpreted as meaning that no such luminiferous aether exists.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-02-27, 7:42

Dormouse559 wrote: :shock: Je ne confonds jamais « langue » et « language », mais je viens de le faire ici et plus tôt dans le texte (j'avais noté et corrigé cette dernière erreur avant de le poster). De toute façon, merci pour tes corrections.

"Language" n'existe pas en français :wink:
On a "langue" => tongue, language
On a "langage" => pour un langage de programmation ou un niveau de langage (langage grossier, langage de politicien, langage C++, langage Java...)
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-02-27, 7:53

france-eesti wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote: :shock: Je ne confonds jamais « langue » et « language », mais je viens de le faire ici et plus tôt dans le texte (j'avais noté et corrigé cette dernière erreur avant de le poster). De toute façon, merci pour tes corrections.

"Language" n'existe pas en français :wink:

Non, et c'est pourquoi je ne commets pas cette erreur. Sauf aujourd'hui apparemment. :(

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-02-27, 20:23

Synalepha wrote:According to ancient and medieval science, is the material that fills […]

(Looks like there's a word missing from the first sentence, but I'll go with it. EDIT: Added now)

Selon la science de l'Antiquité et du Moyen Âge, l'éther est la matière qui remplit la région de l'univers au dessus de la sphère terrestre. On se servit du concept de l'éther dans plusieurs théories pour expliquer plusieurs phénomènes naturels, comme la propagation de la lumière et de la gravité. À la fin du XIXe siècle, les physiciens proposèrent que l'éther pénétrait tout l'espace, fournissant un milieu que pouvait parcourir la lumière dans un vide, mais aucune preuve de la présence d'un tel milieu ne se produisit dans l'expérience Michelson-Morley et ce résultat a été interprété comme signifiant que l'éther luminifère n'existe pas.

---

Core training, push-ups, running … Each year, Belgian soldiers must take a physical aptitude test. And, whether they work in administration or are deployed on foreign soil, they are subject to a physical and medical examination that they must pass. Active military don't have to take them if they were born in 1964 or earlier. However, not taking them can have certain consequences, like not participating in a foreign operation.
Last edited by Dormouse559 on 2020-02-27, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-27, 20:45

Dormouse559 wrote:
Synalepha wrote:According to ancient and medieval science, is the material that fills […]

(Looks like there's a word missing from the first sentence, but I'll go with it)

Whoops, the missing word is "aether".

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-03-06, 19:35

(lld) Core training, push-ups, coreta... Vigni an, i sudé belgics cogn fèr n ejam fisich. E, seence che i laora te l'aministrazion o i é foradecà su teren forest, i cogn fèr n ejam fisich e medich che i cogn passèr. I membres atives de l'armèda i no li cogn fèr se i é nasciui tel 1964 o dant. Purampò, no l fèr, l pèl aer valgugn efec, desche no tor pèrt te na operazion foresta.

---

Pacifism is opposition to war, militarism or violence. The word pacifism was coined by the French peace campaigner Émile Arnaud (1864–1921) and adopted by other peace activists at the tenth Universal Peace Congress in Glasgow in 1901. A related term is ahimsa (to do no harm), which is a core philosophy in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. While modern connotations are recent, having been explicated since the 19th century, ancient references abound.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-03-09, 23:51

(fr) Le pacifisme est l'opposition à la guerre, au militarisme ou à la violence. Le mot pacifisme fut inventé par le militant pour la paix français Émile Arnaud (1864–1921) et fut adopté par d'autres militants pour la paix au dixième Congrès universel de la paix à Glasgow en 1901. Un terme apparenté est ahimsa (ne pas nuire), qui s'agit d'une philosophie de base dans l'hindouisme, le bouddhisme et le jaïnisme. Si les connotations modernes sont récentes, étant expliquées depuis le 19e siècle, des références anciennes ne manquent pas.

---

Throughout the year, my father would welcome traveling salesmen, peddlers, anyone passing through the valley who did business. They came in all kinds: the seed seller, the mercer, the tinsmith, the clothes seller and the most humble of all, the shoelace seller. Each knew there would be room for him and his horse. My father also welcomed chimney sweeps and many others.

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-05-27, 5:52

Durante todo el año mi padre les daba la bienvenida a vendedores viajeros, a vendedores ambulantes, a cualquiera/quienquiera que pasara por el valle haciendo negocios. Los había de todos los tipos: el vendedor de semillas, el de telas, el hojalatero, el vendedor de ropa y, el más humilde de todos, el vendedor de agujetas. Cada uno de ellos sabía que habría un lugar para él y su caballo. Mi padre también recibía a limpiadores de chimeneas y a muchos otros.

---

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble i-

(Sorry, wrong text. :mrgreen: )

People enjoy inventing slogans which violate basic arithmetic but which illustrate "deeper" truths, such as "1 and 1 make 1" (for lovers), or "1 plus 1 plus 1 equals 1" (the Trinity). You can easily pick holes in those slogans, showing why, for instance, using the plus-sign is inappropriate in both cases. But such cases proliferate. Two raindrops running down a window-pane merge; does one plus one make one? A cloud breaks up into two clouds – more evidence for the same? It is not at all easy to draw a sharp line between cases where what is happening could be called "addition", and where some other word is wanted. If you think about the question, you will probably come up with some criterion involving separation of the objects in space, and making sure each one is clearly distinguishable from all the others. But then how could one count ideas? Or the number of gases comprising the atmosphere? Somewhere, if you try to look it up, you can probably find a statement such as, "There are 17 languages in India, and 462 dialects." There is something strange about precise statements like that, when the concepts "language" and "dialect" are themselves fuzzy.

oho

Postby oho » 2020-11-05, 15:46

(ca) A la gent le agrada inventar eslògans que violen l'aritmètica bàsica però que il·lustren veritats "més profundes", per exemple "1 més 1 fa 1" (per els amants), o "1 més 1 més 1 fa 1" (la Trinitat). Se pot mostrar els errors de aquests eslògans, per exemple mostrar per què usar el senyal més és inapropriat en tots dos cases. Tanmateix aquests cases proliferen. (pt) Dois pingos que escorrem para baixo sobre a vidraça duma janela; é que um mas um faz um? Uma nuvem separa-se em duas nuvens - outra prova da mesma coisa? Não é para nada facil desenhar uma linha bem definida entre casos donde o que está a acontecer podria chamar-se "soma", e donde alguma outra palavra precisa-se. (it) Se si pensa a tale domanda, probabilmente si giungerà a qualche criterio che ha a che fare con la separazione degli oggetti nello spazio, e coll'essere sicuri che ciascuno sia chiaramente distinguibile da tutti gli altri. Ma allora come si fa a contare le idee? O il numero di gas che formano l'atmosfera? (es) En algún lugar, si se intenta de buscarlo, se puede probablemente encontrar una declaración como, "hay 17 idiomas en India, y 462 dialectos." Hay algo raro con declaración precisas como esas, cuando el conceptos de "idioma" y "dialecto" son ellos mismos vagos.

Jeff VanderMeer has built his career imagining weird futures in best-selling books like “Annihilation” and “Borne.” He says an apocalypse doesn’t have to mean the end of the world, but a reimagining of how we live on it. He’s doing just that in his own backyard, making homes for raccoons and “rewilding” the land with native species. “We spend a lot of time keeping the outside, outside,” says VanderMeer, who sees his writing as a form of activism. But “there’s less divide between our bodies and the world than we recognize.”

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-11-10, 12:51

oho wrote: (pt) Dois pingos que escorrem para baixo sobre a vidraça duma janela; Seria o caso que um mais um faz um? Uma nuvem separa-se em duas nuvens - outra prova da mesma coisa? Não é para nada fácil desenhar uma linha bem definida entre casos onde o que está a acontecer poderia chamar-se "soma", e onde alguma outra palavra seria necessária.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Return to “Games”