Multilingual Translation Game (long version)

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

oho
Re: Multilingual Translation Game (long version)

Postby oho » 2020-11-10, 19:07

Osias wrote:
oho wrote: (pt) Dois pingos que escorrem para baixo sobre a vidraça duma janela; Seria o caso que um mais um faz um? Uma nuvem separa-se em duas nuvens - outra prova da mesma coisa? Não é para nada fácil desenhar uma linha bem definida entre casos onde o que está a acontecer poderia chamar-se "soma", e onde alguma outra palavra seria necessária.

Obrigado!

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-04-14, 11:29

I have two questions about the passage given by oho. Can someone answer for me please? Thank you in advance.
oho: Jeff VanderMeer has built his career imagining weird futures in best-selling books like “Annihilation” and “Borne.” He says an apocalypse doesn’t have to mean the end of the world, but a reimagining of how we live on it. He’s doing just that in his own backyard, making homes for raccoons and “rewilding” the land with native species. “We spend a lot of time keeping the outside, outside1, ” says VanderMeer, who sees his writing as a form of activism. But “there’s less divide between our bodies and the world than we recognize.2

1 Why is "outside" repeated? Is it to emphasize it's the outside but not the inside?

2 What's the logical relationship of the last sentence with its previous one(s)?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-14, 12:11

azhong wrote:I have two questions about the passage given by oho. Can someone answer for me please? Thank you in advance.
oho: Jeff VanderMeer has built his career imagining weird futures in best-selling books like “Annihilation” and “Borne.” He says an apocalypse doesn’t have to mean the end of the world, but a reimagining of how we live on it. He’s doing just that in his own backyard, making homes for raccoons and “rewilding” the land with native species. “We spend a lot of time keeping the outside, outside1, ” says VanderMeer, who sees his writing as a form of activism. But “there’s less divide between our bodies and the world than we recognize.2

1 Why is "outside" repeated? Is it to emphasize it's the outside but not the inside?

No, the two words have different meanings. One 'outside' means the things that are out. The other one is part of the expression 'keep X outside'.

As I understand, the logical relationship is 'we must recognize X in order to stop wasting time doing too much Y'.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-04-14, 12:57

Osias wrote:As I understand, the logical relationship is 'we must recognize X in order to stop wasting time doing too much Y'.

"When we recognize the closer relationship between our bodies and the nature, we'll re-imagine our life style and put it into practice."

Is this what you mean? Your understanding makes sense to me, too. But if so, I think "but" misleads the semantics; it should be some other word like "because". Is my understanding the same as yours?

Jeff VanderMeer ... says an apocalypse [can also] mean ... a reimagining of how we live on it. He’s doing just that in his own backyard, making homes for raccoons and “rewilding” the land with native species. “We spend a lot of time keeping the outside, outside, ” says VanderMeer, who sees his writing as a form of activism. But because “there’s less divide between our bodies and the world than we recognize.”

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-14, 13:15

“We spend a lot of time keeping the outside, outside, because we don't recognize there’s little divide between our bodies and the world. But there’s less divide between our bodies and the world than we recognize”
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-04-14, 13:19

Got it, and thank you for your explanation, Osias.

Now I need some time to translate the passage.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-04-15, 5:23

Jeff VanderMeer has built his career imagining weird futures in best-selling books like “Annihilation” and “Borne.”
(tw)傑夫‧凡德米爾筆耕有所成,著作暢銷,例如《遺落南境I:滅絕》和《伯恩》等書,想像著未來的奇異處境。

He says an apocalypse doesn’t have to mean the end of the world, but a reimagining of how we live on it.
他表示,作品預言末世,說的未必都得是末日的滅絕,不妨想像一下如何再適應。

He’s doing just that in his own backyard, making homes for raccoons and “rewilding” the land with native species.
他就在自家後院落實這理念,為浣熊築穴,野放土地還歸原生物種。

“We spend a lot of time keeping the outside, outside,” says VanderMeer, who sees his writing as a form of activism. But “there’s less divide between our bodies and the world than we recognize.”
「大家費時頗多,隔絕外物於外。」視寫作為行動之展現的凡德米爾對此現象不以為然。他表示:「身體和外界的壁壘並沒我們所認知那麼分明。」

---

On any person who desires such queer prizes, New York will bestow the gift of loneliness and the gift of privacy. It is this largesse that accounts for the presence within the city's walls of a considerable section of the population; for the residents of Manhattan are to a large extent strangers who have pulled up stakes somewhere and come to town, seeking sanctuary or fulfillment or some greater or lesser grail. The capacity to make such dubious gifts is a mysterious quality of New York. (by E. B. White)
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Games”