FUBAR Translation Game No. 7

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Bubulus
FUBAR Translation Game No. 7

Postby Bubulus » 2019-02-05, 18:07

Welcome to the 7th iteration of UniLang's FUBAR Broken Translation Game!

What the FUBAR BTG is

The game is an adaptation of the classic telephone or "Chinese whispers" game, where a message is given to a participant to pass to another in a chain, with the purpose of looking at the end result. You list your languages, take place into a chain, and wait for your turn to translate the message to the next person into one of your languages as you're assigned to do. The difference from the normal BTG is that you're encouraged to use languages you're less familiar with, for the fun of the challenge and the mistakes made.

How the game is played

Person A translates the original English text into Language 1
Person B translates Language 1 into Language 2
Person X translates Language n back into English (and this is the final text)

Rules

- Once you receive the text, you will have 10 days to complete the translation into the designated target language.
- You may not use online/automated translators like Google Translate or BabelFish.
- The translation must be completed by yourself.
- Failure to complete the translation within the time-frame without explanation will result in expulsion from the game.
- When you complete a translation, you need to forward the correct language version to the next person in the chain.
- Please also send a carbon-copy (CC) to me when you send it. This is important.
- You must not discuss the text with anyone else in the chain/game until the game has finished.
- Once the game has entirely finished, the results will be posted.

How to join

Simply post a list of the languages you can translate from, and those you can translate into. You can say which ones you're particularly good at (and therefore would prefer not to use) by putting them in parentheses. I'll consider these preferences when making the chain. Example:
FROM: (English), Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali, Persian, (Swedish), Finnish
TO: (English), Hindi, Punjabi, (Swedish)

About the text

The message is one paragraph long. You can join with the languages you want, but you're encouraged to use languages you're less familiar with.

The Chain

[to be posted later]

Bubulus

Re: FUBAR Translation Game No. 7

Postby Bubulus » 2019-02-05, 18:47

My languages:
TO: Latin, Mandarin, Cantonese, Standard Arabic, (French)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-02-05, 19:58

Indonesian --> English
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-05, 20:28

Either way:
Polish, German, Irish, Tibetan (preferably to).

I could also possibly be persuaded to do a NAIL or a Chinese dialect (if it's in romanization).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-06, 13:24

I'm the wildcard in this game once again, at least as long as there actually is a dictionary for each of the languages I'm translating both to and from, lol.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-06, 14:01

Want to challenge ourselves, Vijay, and one of us translate into Tibetan and the other translate it into something else? :P

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-02-08, 22:41

Well, I kind of regretted offering what I offered for the last round, but somehow I survived Old English to Latin and it was a lot easier than BTG, so I guess I'll just offer the same again. I'm almost sure I'll learn that there are even worse combinations than OE to Latin, but whatever.

From and to: Germanic languages, Goidelic languages, Czech, Latin, Ancient Greek, (from other Romance languages on request)

laoshu

Postby laoshu » 2019-05-22, 8:31

To: (Indonesian), (English), Chinese Mandarin, Hindi
Native: (id)
Speaks: (zh)(en-us)(hi)

Return to “Games”