Broken Translation Game 2018

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

linguoboy
Re: Broken Translation Game 2018

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-11, 19:03

kevin wrote:I hope this didn't come across as criticism on you, that was not at all what I intended. You seem to make good progress and even if you sent the translation only tomorrow, you would still have used a lot less time than the average.

Ní hea in aon chor, a chara. Just a musing on how my mind works in these matters. I want to make sure to give you some challenge without inventing things which aren't there in the text.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-01-11, 19:13

I was afraid of that. :D

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-11, 19:17

Ná bíodh aon eagla ort! I'm using CO spellings, only Munster inflections and word choice.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-11, 22:36

Curtha ar aghaidh. Damn I was tired of looking at that.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-12, 7:22

Yeah, I got tired of looking at it after three days myself (although reading it out loud to my dad is hilarious :lol:). In my case, I kept second-guessing myself due to interference not so much from English as from Malayalam. Then I was just like "okay, the wording in this Tamil version is super-awkward and I'm sure no one talks like this, plus this is going to be hell for dEhiN to translate, but it's the only way I could sort of try to avoid paraphrasing a lot and you know what? It's been three fucking days, so fuck it." I'm afraid it may have messed up the translation a lot since the Portuguese text I got has a lot of very Indo-European constructions in it (like I've said before), but it went fine last year when I kind of had similar fears, so who knows?

That being said: Y'all, we only have two translations left!

English (Ser) - French (Acceptance4All:)) - Portuguese (Luís) - Tamil (vijayjohn) - Spanish (dEhiN) - Italian (Car) - Irish (linguoboy) - German (kevin) - English (księżycowy)
dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Okay, although I was actually thinking along the lines of a thread where people pick languages for me to translate to and from and then I elaborate my procedure for doing that step by step! :P

Oh cool! I like that idea too.

I think I'll do that then! :D

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-01-16, 11:54

Not sure I can complete this today. linguoboy did succeed in making it a challenge. I've completed a first pass, but the result doesn't make that much sense yet...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-16, 12:36

Oh joy!

I can't wait to read the resulting German then! :lol:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-16, 15:12

kevin wrote:Not sure I can complete this today. linguoboy did succeed in making it a challenge. I've completed a first pass, but the result doesn't make that much sense yet...

:twisted:

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-01-19, 23:10

I feel the translation wouldn't become substantically better if I waited for some more days, so I decided to just send whatever I have right now. Sorry. :(

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-19, 23:12

No problem. I have a long weekend, and will be snowed in, so I'll work on it and see what I come up with. :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-19, 23:23

Yay, last translation.

English (Ser) - French (Acceptance4All:)) - Portuguese (Luís) - Tamil (vijayjohn) - Spanish (dEhiN) - Italian (Car) - Irish (linguoboy) - German (kevin) - English (księżycowy)
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-29, 0:00

I apologise for not giving an update sooner, but I'm still working on my translation. I hope to have it done either tomorrow or the next day.

As Kevin promised, it's a doozy. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-31, 16:26

Well, I'm confused by a lot, but like kevin said, I don't see my translation getting any better with any more time.

It seems this was a philosophical musing of some sort. Confusing as fuck. :P

Anyway, who do I send my translation to again?

EDIT: Nevermind, I sifted through the first few pages and remembered that Ser took over, so I sent him my translation. This game can finally wrap up.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-31, 19:26

Since the game is now done, I can share my thoughts. That was confusing and was definitely a philosophical piece. Mencius was a Chinese philosopher. Which, to me means that the version sent to Acceptance4All:) was probably itself an English translation of the Classical (?) Chinese the quote was initially in. If so, then personally I feel like more than 5 days should have been given. (I know some of us took longer than 5 days anyway, but the expectation was for it to be done in 5 days.) Or we have a rule that simpler pieces are selected.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-31, 19:54

The sad fact is, I'm used to reading philosophical literature. Just not in German. :P

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-31, 20:12

dEhiN wrote:Since the game is now done, I can share my thoughts. That was confusing and was definitely a philosophical piece. Mencius was a Chinese philosopher. Which, to me means that the version sent to Acceptance4All:) was probably itself an English translation of the Classical (?) Chinese the quote was initially in. If so, then personally I feel like more than 5 days should have been given. (I know some of us took longer than 5 days anyway, but the expectation was for it to be done in 5 days.) Or we have a rule that simpler pieces are selected.

I dunno, I found the text itself pretty simple--so simple, in fact, that I'm wondering if I fucked something up in my Irish translation because I didn't expect kevin would have so much trouble with it (nor księżycowy with the German). Yeah, it's philosophical, but Mencius isn't Kant, he isn't using a lot of invented terminology or complex argumentation to make his points. I think the time was plenty; if you're really actively working on one paragraph for five days in a row, you're overthinking it.

So when do we see the goods?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-31, 20:15

Good question. Hopefully Ser will unload them in a day or so.

I'm sure I fucked up my German translation, by the way. :P

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-01-31, 21:07

So it looks like this was the real FUBAR BTG? :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-31, 21:33

It's a FUBTG! :silly:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-01, 1:57

Mencius was indeed a Chinese philosopher, but I'm not sure that tells us anything about the language the quote was originally in since his work was translated into Latin at least as early as the 18th century.

Return to “Games”